• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Telfo

They really gotta check this stuff in the future. its a real bummer that this could have been avoided if they just did a 30 second google search to see which version was readily available to people :(

Xater

Nope, the blu-ray collection that was released a few years back is the first official licensed release in America. The theatrical cut was the preferred cut of the film for the director, from what I remember.

I might have confused it with another Japanese movie then. I still prefer the extended cut.

"Welcome to Shudder!"

Not for long, punks! The things I do for this website!

I LOVE GBEAST, AND I KNOW YOU'RE READING THIS BUT I GOT THIS FREE TRIAL FOR YOU.

I saw that reddit comment my guy, you aint foolin me fam

unless that was you of course lol
Just talking about my icon, I couldn't pass it up when I saw this deadpan face, so good. Hitduder the real GOTY.

Ashby

They really gotta check this stuff in the future. its a real bummer that this could have been avoided if they just did a 30 second google search to see which version was readily available to people :(
"Looks good! So when does this come out and for how much?" "Uhhhh"

So I got a lot further into Steins;Gate. After hitting the magic 15 hour mark it did suddenly get very good, but it just can not shake its skeevy anime bullshit and it's really dragging things down for me. One particular event has me almost wanting to put the game down (again).

To be vague, there's a situation where you need to retrieve an item from a female character, and it's understood that you'll have to be violent in order to get it. On a narrative level it's largely "justified," but the actual execution of the scene is just fucking uncomfortable. Not uncomfortable in a ”the burden of this action is going to weigh on our characters" sense, but in a ”this seems like the author is kind of enjoying it" one. It lingers on the violence far longer than necessary, describing every movement – pushing her against the wall, holding a hand down, choking her with a forearm, getting her down on the floor, she's gasping for air and screaming as you're trying to pry it out of her hand – and at the end, as she's pinned on the ground, they top it off with a fucking cleavage shot (spoiler image).

As someone who used to watch a lot of anime, this isn't at all surprising, and it's hardly the only example of the game treating its characters poorly (it frequently frames 'CG' shots with an awkward focus on the characters' chests, it features a Hilarious Anime Moment of you walking in on a couple characters in the shower, etc). What makes it frustrating to the point that I'm actually angry is that the game does (eventually) have some very compellingly written female characters, and they keep choosing to undercut it with all of this pandering fucking garbage! I don't understand

Agh. Anyway. Aside from this kind of thing, the back half of the game really has been pretty fucking rad.

Meanwhile, in Canada....

qH6Gmnd.jpg

kiguel182

The intro to X-Com was so good. Awesome job!

This episode was less eventful but it was good to have on while working. Can't wait to see how Dan does.

BTA

More or less agreed.

I will say I feel like 0 was significantly better about this (though not perfect) and Chaos;Head, which preceded Steins;Gate, was a lot worse.

I'm hoping that means they got better over time and Chaos;Child will be closer to 0 in that regard, but it's also a sequel to C;H so I'm not getting my hopes up even though it's apparently very good overall.

patapuf

I'm watching the extended cut and am halfway through the movie and so far, it's not a big deal.

Not ideal, but it still kind of works.

Zero315

Banned
I might have confused it with another Japanese movie then. I still prefer the extended cut.
I think both cuts have merit. The theatrical is better paced, but the extended gives more insight into the characters, especially Kitano and Chigusa.

Also, everyone who hasn't watched, be prepared for Dan to pay even less attention to this than he did to the early F&F movies. He also tried to drop some Dunkirk spoilers at the end but I think Vinny and Alex stopped him, idk as I haven't seen it yet.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I think both cuts have merit. The theatrical is better paced, but the extended gives more insight into the characters, especially Kitano and Chigusa.

Also, everyone who hasn't watched, be prepared for Dan to pay even less attention to this than he did to the early F&F movies. He also tried to drop some Dunkirk spoilers at the end but I think Vinny and Alex stopped him, idk as I haven't seen it yet.

Can you really spoil history?

- J - D -

I'm watching the extended cut and am halfway through the movie and so far, it's not a big deal.

Not ideal, but it still kind of works.

Well there's a difference of about 8 minutes between the two versions so you're gonna have some significant sync issues somewhere.

It's not like the Fast & Furious extended editions because those had pretty minor differences, usually only involving additional quick shots of gore/blood spurts.

patapuf

Well there's a difference of about 8 minutes between the two versions so you're gonna have some significant sync issues somewhere.

It's not like the Fast & Furious extended editions because those had pretty minor differences, usually only involving additional quick shots of gore/blood spurts.

Yeah, i had to pause a few times. As i mentioned, not ideal, but you notice pretty quickly if you are out of sync.

That said, being perfectly in sync is not that important to me, so YMMV

Zero315

Banned
Can you really spoil history?

He was talking about a specific character by naming the actor, so again, idk.

I think the big difference is that there are like three additional kinda long scenes at the end of the movie.

Top Bottom