• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

15 mins till Mayhem.

You seem to be the only one who's excited for Mayhem. Do write your impressions.
I should stop reading for the night but I'm still largely into this Twin Peaks book. I just wish it was a lot less about
one of the old men from season 2 apparently being someone who investigated UFOs for the air force for some reason?? I wanna get back to the cheesy backstory/intriguing retconning already.

Well, a large part of the mythos is surrounding that thing. I never read the book though so I don't know how much of it is that.

I just pre-purchased Nidhogg 2 on PS4 (for a nice couple buck discount) as well as Cities: Skylines. I was hoping for a physical release for that one, but it seems that North America is digital only. Then next week is Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, with Windjammers the week after. Pretty awesome couple of weeks. I'll pre-order Uncharted from Amazon before release, so I can get it on day one (yay for Prime Two Day shipping) and get the free Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy download for PS4 (I completely forgot they were coming to PS4 as PS2 classics) as the pre-order bonus.

valeo

Takeshi was also in one of my favorite films of the year, Ghost in the Shell

I'm not kidding

Don't worry, I liked it too and thought the Scar Jo whitewashing thing was completely overblown considering she's a bloody robot (spoilerz)

The ending sucked, though.

I just pre-purchased Nidhogg 2 on PS4 (for a nice couple buck discount) as well as Cities: XL. I was hoping for a physical release for that one, but it seems that North America is digital only. Then next week is Uncharted: The Lost Legacy, with Windjammers the week after. Pretty awesome couple of weeks. I'll pre-order Uncharted from Amazon before release, so I can get it on day one (yay for Prime Two Day shipping) and get the free Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy download for PS4 (I completely forgot they were coming to PS4 as PS2 classics).

I'm screwed because as I posted in gaming I'm preparing for a big move on the 30th and the day before three games I want are released.

Basically my next month looks like:
- Buy Pyre using PSN credit
- Buy Rabbids using bday Nintendo discount
- Already have Kiwami pre-ordered
- Probably buy Everybody's Golf
- Hold off on Uncharted for a bit
- Get Danganronpa V3 on Vita.

BTA

VN Todolist:

- Steins Gate 0
- Fata Morgana
- Playthrough of Ace Attorney
- What's the new one coming out this year that's in the Steins Gate extended universe?

Chaos;Child is the Science Adventure game that should be out in English in a few months. It's awkwardly specifically a sequel to Chaos;Head (which is only playable through a fan translation - which is how I read it almost exactly 2 years ago now - and is also sorta terrible for the most part), but is apparently very good and totally playable without really knowing what happened in Chaos;Head. It should be said that my understanding is, like Chaos;Head, it learns more towards horror than S;G's tone though.

...in any case I just hope we get Robotics;Notes too somehow because they've already announced a game that's a culmination of everything in the entire series, and for some reason they've decided it should be a sequel to Robotics;Notes, if only in name. Of course, the problem is that Robotics;Notes has an "Elite" version that that apparently fixes stuff like pacing problems and such, except... it's only on Vita. So we're kinda screwed in terms of viable platforms we could get it on unless they port it to PS4.

Don't worry, I liked it too and thought the Scar Jo whitewashing thing was completely overblown considering she's a bloody robot (spoilerz)

The ending sucked, though.

The whitewashing thing was the least of that film's problems. On the surface it's the biggest thing, watch the movie though and you find tons of problems especially if you're a fan of the anime.

The opening lines of the film made me laugh my ass off. It was an eh film overall though, I liked it for the visuals and atmosphere. Soundtrack was good as well. That's about it.
I'm also excited for Mayhem! Looks great!

Write your impressions as well. I'm not interested in the game but I'm open to be swayed. Like I want to get it maybe somewhere around December just to support Volition.

I'm screwed because as I posted in gaming I'm preparing for a big move on the 30th and the day before three games I want are released.

Basically my next month looks like:
- Buy Pyre using PSN credit
- Buy Rabbids using bday Nintendo discount
- Already have Kiwami pre-ordered
- Probably buy Everybody's Golf
- Hold off on Uncharted for a bit
- Get Danganronpa V3 on Vita.

I'm happy/upset that Super Mega Baseball 2 was delayed until Spring. I was looking forward to it next month, but with all the games coming out through the end of the year, maybe that's for the best.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I just work so much now that I play games one at a time and buy them as I come into them. With a rare amount of 'gotta play day 1' games.

BTA

With my internship 2 years ago I was actually really good about consistnetly playing through things at night (and cooking dinner besides). Much more so than while at college, even.

Dunno why it's a bit harder for me to get into the swing of things despite working, at the same place even, now. Slowly getting better at it and also giving myself room to not feel bad about changing my mind about what I want to spend my time on as well, as long as it's not weird time management hangups like "I don't have the time to start this tonight anymore" that aren't true but I still buy into a little. As long as I can get through certain games by the time more come out, it's fine, more or less.

jaina

Every once in awhile I randomly think of that amazing dumb Metal Gear Scanlon 4 installation video and laugh to myself. So good.

Edit: speaking of Cloth Map have we ever got an ETA on Drew's first full documentary episode? Everything Cloth Map up till now has just been supplementary features right?

Drew is currently working on the Chernobyl main feature. Hired voice over actors and music composers. No ETA.

The Dunkirk spoiler in Film and 40s isn't a spoiler at all. All Dan says is a certain character is an asshole and that character is that way the second hes introduced, so its not a surprise.

All these washed up podcast personalities have a patreon, where's my Broken Pixels patreon?

surely Mangod and Seanbaby aren't that busy

I think Shane does manage to make time to pop into certain podcasts from time to time if it's about something he loves from the past, but those are also old podcasts and might not be the case lately. Last time I remember him being on a podcast was Retronauts about Telenet and Valis.

Seanbaby... Wasn't really much for podcast appearances tho the ones he was in for 1UP Yours and A Life Well Wasted were grand. Again, a looooong time ago tho.

Crispin Boyer... man what's he been up to? Last I checked, he actually wrote some National Geographic kids books!

BTA

You seem to be the only one who's excited for Mayhem. Do write your impressions.

Well, a large part of the mythos is surrounding that thing. I never read the book though so I don't know how much of it is that.

I finished it and it's 2 AM; I maybe forgot how much I like to read, whoops.

It's overall an interesting read despite a bit too much of a focus on that, and some particularly weird historical fiction as a result. Some of it sorta breaks apart because
the end of it seems to both retcon some of season 2's ending and imply there's some immediacy to the writer's actions/writing even though there's included files/notes that would have taken them several months past that point to include. Beyond the retconning there's also some weird internal inconsistencies - a file in one section having a date that seemingly doesnn't make sense when considering the event being described and the dates on the other relevant files - and also a published article written by someone who very specifically was said to have died 17 or so years before. The weirdest retcon is maybe Norma's mom supposedly having died 5 years before the show with no mention of Annie? Beyond that most of the outright retconning is just changing the relationship between Ed/Norma/Hank/Nadine and it's timeframe to be that Ed left to join the military after school, Hank sabotaged his letters to Norma and made a move on her, and that Ed and Nadine only got together in the past few years. It's... very weird and arbitrary. I've heard Lynch and Frost weren't very hands on with season 2 (or, uh, around for most of it) but I don't know if a lot of this is intentionally different or then reclaiming that part of the story from season 2 or... what. Sorta execited to see how it's handled, or not, in season 3 though.

Watching Exquisite Corps 1

im expecting this to go fucking poorly.lol

And it did at some point haha.

Sorry Abby :(

Thank god for Ghost Vinny since his advice has been mostly solid right now (as episode 2 will attest to).

Now to see what Dan does,
especially with how his character is nothing like what he envisioned.

Hate to pull a fast one but I'm too damn tired to go in depth on Agents of Mayhem but expect a more in depth write up this morning.

LSS: This is a fun tactical third person squad based shooter. The transversal is enjoyable and the characters all feel different.

Hate to pull a fast one but I'm too damn tired to go in depth on Agents of Mayhem but expect a more in depth write up this morning.

LSS: This is a fun tactical third person squad based shooter. The transversal is enjoyable and the characters all feel different.

Is the loot good?

Wonder if they'd consider getting Will or the Waypoint guys or even some other site friends to join them for Murder Island. Could be (would be) fun.

They brought Will and Fobwashed and Gary Whitta for the community Murder Island

Will Smith killed me

I blushed

Hasney

I listened to Waypoint say it was the most dull opening in years, but once it opens up it's a lot of fun even if the structure and menus are bullshit.

ryseing

I did the $.99 PS Plus thing for Power Rangers. Not worth it. At all.

Krispy Kreme is a major location in the movie, and Elizabeth Banks has a scene where she eats a KK donut while doing everything but looking at the camera to express how delicious it is.

Also, they don't get their suits until an hour+ into the movie for some fucking reason.

At least Naomi Scott was good. She'll be a great Jasmine. Certainly has the looks.

King Arthur is a fun flick

I liked it, but I am more forgiving of big budget fantasy in general. Loved the Thrones alumni popping up and Jude Law was having a fantastic time.

I'll get the BR eventually.

Man Jeff's internet snafu was so messed up i got angry at the thought of them pulling that bullshit on me. Also that anecdote of him having to complain on twitter and it fucking working due to his follower count is kinda fucked up.

Social media is a hell of a thing.

hamchan

You know how Dan does the thing where he brings up random topics that have nothing to do with what they're playing/watching?

He sure does it when he commentates over movies too.

EDIT: This is actually a kinda bad commentary if you want riffing on Battle Royale. It's pretty good if you want to listen to them talk about unrelated topics like 40% of the time, typical GBeast style.

Ha Alex even jokes about this at the end. Film and 40s is still great.

Jintor

just installed my new gtx 1070 and played a little nier automata

man that game is a good video game.

major spoils
of course, i had to go from the beginning again

Zaph

just installed my new gtx 1070 and played a little nier automata

man that game is a good video game.

major spoils
of course, i had to go from the beginning again

I really want to play through it again, but this ridiculous year of games just isn't slowing down.

swimbuff

I'm sensitive to spoilers but what Dan said about Dunkirk in the Battle Royale F&F can hardly constitute a spoiler. It's near the end of the movie and kind of came out of nowhere so you don't get any warning but it's really no big deal.

I almost pulled the trigger on Sonic Mania on the Switch but I think I'll wait to see the Quick Look before doing so. If I'm not wrong Dan has been playing the game so it'll probably be a GBeast joint.

It's overall an interesting read despite a bit too much of a focus on that, and some particularly weird historical fiction as a result. Some of it sorta breaks apart because
the end of it seems to both retcon some of season 2's ending and imply there's some immediacy to the writer's actions/writing even though there's included files/notes that would have taken them several months past that point to include. Beyond the retconning there's also some weird internal inconsistencies - a file in one section having a date that seemingly doesnn't make sense when considering the event being described and the dates on the other relevant files - and also a published article written by someone who very specifically was said to have died 17 or so years before. The weirdest retcon is maybe Norma's mom supposedly having died 5 years before the show with no mention of Annie? Beyond that most of the outright retconning is just changing the relationship between Ed/Norma/Hank/Nadine and it's timeframe to be that Ed left to join the military after school, Hank sabotaged his letters to Norma and made a move on her, and that Ed and Nadine only got together in the past few years. It's... very weird and arbitrary. I've heard Lynch and Frost weren't very hands on with season 2 (or, uh, around for most of it) but I don't know if a lot of this is intentionally different or then reclaiming that part of the story from season 2 or... what. Sorta execited to see how it's handled, or not, in season 3 though.

Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Well, Season 3 in terms of tone is more closer to FWWM so, keep your expectations in check but even then S3 is its own thing. Speaking of S2 and David Lynch, here's what he thinks of it(I liked S2 overall).

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

I read this thinking it was about Agents of Mayhem and I don't think I've ever been this confused in my life

Top Bottom