• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Hindl

Wait, so they are making Shelob a sexy spider lady? Wow...fuck this game.

That's been out there for a bit. It's shitty and dumb and they got raked over the coals for it, but whatever. But then they did an interview explaining why they did it, and....

de Plater's approach to Shelob comes from an interpretation that she and Gollum are, in fact, the unsung heroes of The Lord of the Rings. Put simply, it's his take that Frodo fails to cast the ring into the fires of Mount Doom at the crucial moment - instead Gollum succeeds where he cannot (albeit tumbling into the fire himself along the way).
According to de Plater, that weakness in Frodo was something Shelob sensed, making a pact with Gollum and hastening him on his way to Mount Doom and the final confrontation that saw the ring destroyed. It also goes some way to explaining why Shelob tried to eat Frodo in The Two Towers.
"Galadriel basically manipulated and sent people off on these different quests [testing the Fellowship with the mirror in Lothlórien] but ultimately left to themselves that quest [to destroy the ring] would have failed. Then you think of Shelob as almost the dark mirror to her, who actually had this minion [Gollum] that... if you think about it in a way, ultimately succeeded.
"<...> it felt like Gandalf and Galadriel kind of lied to them [the Fellowship] a little bit about their chances and what differentiates Shelob is that she's completely honest.. So she's evil, or perceived as evil, but she has this honesty to her,"

That's been out there for a bit. It's shitty and dumb and they got raked over the coals for it, but whatever. But then they did an interview explaining why they did it, and....

what the... that has to be one of the stupidest reads on an incredibly straightforward story I've ever read. Holy smokers

Does it have sexy spider ladies.
No but there are 6 female agents, I've unlocked 4 so far. Braddock being my favorite. She's a BAMF.

How is it?
Honestly, it's alright. I'm not blown away by it but it's enjoyable. Each agent is unique, different weapons, personality, sense of humor. The combat is fine but repetitive. The animated cut scenes are awesome, Saturday morning cartoons for adults vibe. And the humor has been okay, I've laughed at some throw away lines but could be better.

Can't recommend at $60 but discount $20-$30 range, sure.

7/10.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Twin Peaks season 3 is an 18 hour David Lynch wankfest. How he ever got that budget from Showtime with those scripts, I'll never know. I'm enjoying it, but it feels nothing like the Twin Peaks you know and love.

LiK

Honestly, it's alright. I'm not blown away by it but it's enjoyable. Each agent is unique, different weapons, personality, sense of humor. The combat is fine but repetitive. The animated cut scenes are awesome, Saturday morning cartoons for adults vibe. And the humor has been okay, I've laughed at some throw away lines but could be better.

7/10.

Thanks, that's what I expected. Def a budget game for me.

daveo42

Banned

First, none of that covers why Shelob has a human form. It just covers a shitty reason why she's "one of the good guys now" as opposed to an evil spider acting as an informal guard to Mordor.

I mean, I would have cared less about it if they just said "because sexy lady" or even created yet another character to add to the universe as opposed to having Shelob both take human form and be an impromptu good character.

soundtest

Banned
Rise of the Tomb Raider had some nonsense card shit in it and it had zero effect on the campaign.

Just because something has cards doesnt mean it's some consumer fucking shitshow.

swimbuff

If that's the case they came up with a really convoluted way to get to their best way of including a female character.

Eh i dunno, I wasn't a huge tolkiennite even though i enjoyed the books, so i can kind of dismiss this as an extension of the fanfiction wank of the first game.

Also helps that i have no interest in the series at all other than observing it.

I mean they already showed the game with gacha orcs.

If they wanted to include a female character they could have just made one up. Or shoehorned one of the wizards in there (make them female, whatever) since two of them are unaccounted for in the canon.

This whole thing is hilarious though, and since they don't give a fuck they might as well go further. Make Talion fight and permanently injure the Witch-King in a way that allows Eowyn to finally kill him. That would ruffle more feathers.

I'll probably still buy the game since I'm a sucker for downer endings and there's no way that this series does not end with one.

oti

Banned
Everything that keeps coming out makes me want to play Shadows of War less and less...

I'm already set on getting it in a couple of years for Christmas season (since LoTR = Christmas for me) for like 5 Euros. And I couldn't care less about their loot box crap since I would never pay real money for that stuff anyway.

I'm already set on getting it in a couple of years for Christmas season (since LoTR = Christmas for me) for like 5 Euros. And I couldn't care less about their loot box crap since I would never pay real money for that stuff anyway.

Yea that seems like the way to go. That loot box stuff is a hard turn off for me.

BTA

Is anyone getting in on that $10/month Moviepass?

When Abby talked about it on the Beastcast I was thinking about it since I just moved to an apartment with a big theater a few minutes away, and I could stand to watch more movies, and now it's even cheaper.

But that theater isn't eligible, of course. Thinking I might try it still, though; as long as I see a movie a month after work one day it's probably worth it.

BTA

I assume Moviepass isn't partnered with Alamo Drafthouse, which is my nearby theater of choice.

Going by the thread, it might be!

For whatever reason the Showcase near me isn't even though others nearby are. Even the local community theater is. It feels arbitrary as hell.

daveo42

Banned
I rarely watch films as is. Movie Pass seems great and all now that they went back to the $10/month plan, but I can barely justify having Netflix because I barely use it.

Found my PS1 copy of Metal Gear Solid.

Think I'm going to play some.

I need to find another copy of it or at least a new disc 2. Mine craps out after getting past the Rex fight at the end.

LiK

When Abby talked about it on the Beastcast I was thinking about it since I just moved to an apartment with a big theater a few minutes away, and I could stand to watch more movies, and now it's even cheaper.

But that theater isn't eligible, of course. Thinking I might try it still, though; as long as I see a movie a month after work one day it's probably worth it.

I barely have time for movies I bought let alone have time to go to the theaters. Def no interest.

No but there are 6 female agents, I've unlocked 4 so far. Braddock being my favorite. She's a BAMF.

7/10.
Sounds like a hard pass for me then.

People in the thread seem to be suggesting all Alamo Drafthouses are movie pass compatible

Going by the thread, it might be!

For whatever reason the Showcase near me isn't even though others nearby are. Even the local community theater is. It feels arbitrary as hell.

Oh huh! I'll look into it. Drafthouse tickets are generally $8.50 though, so Moviepass would only be worth it if I got to more than one a month. Maybe during a better stretch of movie season!

This is where I'm at as well, though I should have sat down and watched Chinatown on Sunday since it heavily influenced one of my favorite films, Brick.
Love both those films.
There are so many theaters in Austin that work with it, including at least three Drafthouse locations I saw.
Cool cool. I'm like 5 minutes from the South Lamar location, so 90% of the time that's where I'm going.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also I know it sounds real dumb, but I kinda need more... meat? in my stories than can be packed in the normal runtime of a movie to stay invested.

I like a real big chunk of story that I can really sink my teeth into.

Which is why I always preferred just reading books really.

swimbuff

Found my PS1 copy of Metal Gear Solid.

Think I'm going to play some.

MGS1 is a perfect mix of cool-guy-action-scenes, anime-ass-bullshit, and straight up great game that none of the other MGS games ever matched. It's been a while since I last played it, let me know if the gameplay holds up!

I've been meaning to go back to it but instead just watched Metal Gear Scanlon and woof is it hard to watch Drew play that game.

BTA

I barely have time for movies I bought let alone have time to go to the theaters. Def no interest.

I barely watch movies in general but would like to see more since I enjoy the act of doing so when I do even if I don't enjoy the movie.

Looking at a list of movies for the next year or so there's at least one thing a month I'd like to see and this could get me to actually see them instead of just intending to. That being said it could make seeing things with friends (or even just my roommate due to the not having the close theater thing) a hassle, etc. etc. Hmm.

Also I know it sounds real dumb, but I kinda need more... meat? in my stories than can be packed in the normal runtime of a movie to stay invested.

I like a real big chunk of story that I can really sink my teeth into.

Which is why I always preferred just reading books really.
Books give a lot more details than movies.

I need to make an effort to watch more movies yeah. I want to watch Seven Samurai and the Host in the next couple of weeks. Also go see Dunkirk, Logan Lucky, and maybe Atomic Blonde in theaters.

Hasney

I did it when I was 16 or whatever and it was great. Seen some real shit though.

imBask

Banned
I still really enjoy watching movies, but even at $10 for a moviepass I still have to drive there and wait and be in a room full of inconsiderate people and drive back home

While instead I could just stay at home and literally be 2 clicks away from any movie ever made, which I can watch however I want

Movie theaters are ok but they definitely need a massive upgrade because what they're offering right now isn't compelling enough. We don't even have those fancy theaters where they serve beer up here, that would be a start

The thing that will probably push me over the edge for Moviepass is that they even include my local indie theater, so I can go watch cool and different stuff all the time. Seems like a great deal.

strafer

gW0pnVK.jpg

cUpPGAP.jpg

BTA

I still really enjoy watching movies, but even at $10 for a moviepass I still have to drive there and wait and be in a room full of inconsiderate people and drive back home

While instead I could just stay at home and literally be 2 clicks away from any movie ever made, which I can watch however I want

Movie theaters are ok but they definitely need a massive upgrade because what they're offering right now isn't compelling enough. We don't even have those fancy theaters where they serve beer up here, that would be a start

It's dumb and a bad solution, but hassle aside the environment forces me to focus on the movie instead of getting distracted.

I watch movies every couple of days or so, usually very late at night(I buy shit tons of blus). Last time I went to a theater was for Logan(great film) and I already got my ticket for the Terminator 2 remaster on the 29th of this month.

Top Bottom