• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

BTA

Telfo

the version streaming from Showtime is definitely the right version

The
MACOCK
stuff had me dying

"STOP SAYING MACOCK"- Vinny

BTA

Binge watching season 3 of Twin Peaks is way more enjoyable than doing the week to week thing.

If I want to catch up by the finale I'm basically going to be watching an episode or two a night (the former was my pace for the original anyway), so that's good to hear.

swimbuff

Damn I'd love to hear Brad's thoughts on Shelob being "actually one of the good guys." The idea is so stupid I can't even process it. Hope they talk about it on the Bombcast today.

hamchan

Damn I'd love to hear Brad's thoughts on Shelob being "actually one of the good guys." The idea is so stupid I can't even process it. Hope they talk about it on the Bombcast today.

She was just trying to gift magic powers to Frodo and Sam, not trying to eat them, dear me no.

repeater

The answer depends entirely on how much you like Lynch being 100% Lynch. I find huge swathes of it boring as sin and frustrating but there's just enough there to keep me interested.
Yeah, as someone who thought "Inland Empire" was a terrible, self-indulgent movie, I'm not sure the "pure heroin version of David Lynch" that Showtime bragged about is something I want. Or rather, I'm CERTAIN it's not as satisfying to me as a Lynch who is working within certain constraints. Also, this series is almost entirely devoid of the warmth and humanity that I always felt made Twin Peaks special within the mystery/horror genre. I realise that's very much an artistic choice but it's not one I've enjoyed much.

With that being said, it will be interesting going back sometime and rewatching "The Return" over a shorter span of time.

Given how rapid Lynch fans are, at least the once I know, and how little talk there has been since the first ep I'm guessing it's meh at best.

Or maybe it's basically impossible to talk about without spoilers so people just keep it to dedicated outlets for talking about it?

en9B1jS.gif

imBask

Banned
Shadow of Mordor was a great game so I played it

the new one looks like a typical Warner Bros cash grab so i'm going to skip it

the end

Given how rapid Lynch fans are, at least the once I know, and how little talk there has been since the first ep I'm guessing it's meh at best.

Well that's a rather valueless assessment now isn't it?

Or maybe it's basically impossible to talk about without spoilers so people just keep it to dedicated outlets for talking about it?

Not to mention whenever it is brought up (in here or elsewhere) people are pretty glowing.

BTA

Shadow of Mordor was a great game so I played it

the new one looks like a typical Warner Bros cash grab so i'm going to skip it

the end

I enjoyed the first but the Nemesis system literally fell apart for me by the end and every time someone praises it as amazing I wish I had the same experience.

Was it just that I did all the side stuff before beating the game or something? Because I think me perma-killing orcs more often than not didn't have anything to do with that. Like if there was literally a clear "hey maybe don't cut his fucking head off so he'll do the coming back as a rival thing" button I would have pressed that instead but instead Lordy McRings decided he had to go all in so.

With the Shelob stuff alone it seems they're doing weird stuff with lore this time and the thing is: I don't care about the lore (I read the books in, what, middle school? and never saw the movies) so it's not that they're messing with it as much as I'd rather they just... not get into that too much?

also spiders suck

Not to mention whenever it is brought up (in here or elsewhere) people are pretty glowing.

Every time people/friends I follow on Twitter mention it they seem like they're very into it, so I'm looking forward to it as a result. The mention here of a lack of heart is a little disappointing since I valued that as well, but I'm just interested in going along for the ride.

Every time people/friends I follow on Twitter mention it they seem like they're very into it, so I'm looking forward to it as a result. The mention here of a lack of heart is a little disappointing since I valued that as well, but I'm just interested in going along for the ride.

It's a very different thing. It is tonally more similar to FWWM, but don't expect it to be much like it otherwise. I think it has a lot of heart! It's just not immediately clear where you're supposed to look for it.

Yeah, as someone who thought "Inland Empire" was a terrible, self-indulgent movie, I'm not sure the "pure heroin version of David Lynch" that Showtime bragged about is something I want. Or rather, I'm CERTAIN it's not as satisfying to me as a Lynch who is working within certain constraints. Also, this series is almost entirely devoid of the warmth and humanity that I always felt made Twin Peaks special within the mystery/horror genre. I realise that's very much an artistic choice but it's not one I've enjoyed much.

With that being said, it will be interesting going back sometime and rewatching "The Return" over a shorter span of time.

I think it still has that warmth but it spreads itself very thin at times so it's harder to get invested in the characters. But in terms of cinematography and pacing it definitely has adopted a VERY different aesthetic from the original. That played mostly off of soap opera tropes, whereas this feels more like a warped version of modern "prestige" drama (god i hate that term). It lacks the focus and clarity of the original show imo.

swimbuff

Despite being a Tolkien nerd I could look past the liberties they took with Shadow of Mordor. It was largely pretty harmless and wasn't messing with the central canon. I was also interested to see how they would deal with a powerful character like end-game Talion existing in that universe (spoiler alert: they didn't)

But the sequel has things like a new Ring, sexy Shelob, and now character motivation retcons so really Monolith might as well take a shit on top of Tolkien's grave while they're at it.

oti

Banned
Yea, I'm expecting a massive price drop in a few weeks. Probably gonna be uber cheap during Black Friday.
It looks fun enough to be worth a try for me but asking for 70 Euros sounds utterly ridiculous. Especially in 2017 and right before the great games avalanche kicks in. I waited a couple of years for Shadow of Mordor to hit 5 Euros, I can do the same thing with this game.

oti

Banned
I like that stupid fan fiction stuff. It's so duuuuuumb. But I'm not a diehard Tolkien fan. I just like the movies.

swimbuff

I mean you'd fuck a spider too if she were sexy and tsundere.

"It's not like I even wanted to eat you or anything, Sam no baka!"

Hindl

To be fair.

Did anyone really expect that series to be faithful to tolkien after the first game.
There's a limit that they crossed pretty hard. For the first game it was fine because they were creating a new character and made up a bunch of stuff that would never happen in the actual world, but it's a new character and the story isn't important so whatever.

But with this, they've not only taken a grotesque spider and made her into a sexy lady, their justification for it is just deception. It's bad enough that they're changing characters so drastically and doing a bunch of shit to the lore, but I could get past that. For me, the issue is that they they're literally lying to people. They're saying this very established character that's only defining characteristic is she's a big spider that eats anything that comes into her lair actually has all these depths and motivations, and then made some shit up about Galadriel planned all this out. They're saying things we definitively know isn't true just to avoid saying "We wanted to put a sexy titty lady in our game because it'll sell". They should've just said they wanted a female major character in the story and this was the best idea they had

Strax

All I'm saying is so many people went mental hearing about the return of Twin Peaks, online and real life, and now the buzz seems to be gone. I'm on another forum dedicated to TV/Film and a thread about American Gods has over x3 of replies to the Twin Peaks thread. People I know that would consider Lynch to be their fav. filmmaker have not said a single word about the show.

There is nothing wrong with people liking the show, I was just expecting it to be a big deal instead of a headline for a day.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
If that's the case they came up with a really convoluted way to get to their best way of including a female character.

Eh i dunno, I wasn't a huge tolkiennite even though i enjoyed the books, so i can kind of dismiss this as an extension of the fanfiction wank of the first game.

Also helps that i have no interest in the series at all other than observing it.

I mean they already showed the game with gacha orcs.

Top Bottom