• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Jintor

you know i might like everything about sonic mania except that you have to play sonic which is a game i don't find particularly enjoyable

that animation on the intro though jesus. it's astounding.

Meguro

Banned
Sonic Mania is alright.
It's still got that Sonic problem of Sonic feeling bad to control but the level design is ok and the music is great.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
That's my target after Observer, I just hope Daedalic have upped their game since the Deponia trilogy. Seems like this is their take on a Telltale style adventure game.

I like Pillars of Earth but this just killed all my interest in the game. (if that's what they are going for)

oti

Banned
Sonic Mania hot take after 10 minutes.
I can tell a lot of love went into this.
But it's still Sonic.
6/10

7/10 if I'm being nice.

Zaph

I like Pillars of Earth but this just killed all my interest in the game. (if that's what they are going for)

In fairness to them, they're calling it an "Interactive Novel", not a traditional adventure game. There are timed dialogue choices and, well, this:
LxsOqWl.jpg

But so far the handful of reviews are really good.

I get it. You have to earn the right to shit on a thing. I once watched Twilight to confirm that it is, indeed, terrible. Nowadays I don't really go for that sort of thing anymore though

Seventy70

Sadly I only have the Directors Cut of Battle Royal. I read the comments and people were saying that the commentary wasn't great. Would it be worth it to seek out the right cut or should I just watch the movie without it? I've never seen the movie before.

Fantastapotamus

I bought Sonic for the Switch. I think the game is alright/pretty good
I'm also really glad the "How am I supposed to play Sonic" thread from a while back exists so I don't feel like an idiot.

I love Sonic Mania but it's definitely not going to win anybody over that wasn't into the 16-bit games in the first place.
It's the second best Sonic game behind 3&K for me.

Meguro

Banned
That how to play Sonic thread is actually articulating to me why I always disliked Sonic.
Going fast is the only thing that feels good in Sonic but anything past Greenhill Zone wants you to do normal platforming with a character that does not control well at slow speeds.

That how to play Sonic thread is actually articulating to me why I always disliked Sonic.
Going fast is the only thing that feels good in Sonic but anything past Greenhill Zone wants you to do normal platforming with a character that does not control well at slow speeds.
Sonic fans in that thread are playing a mind-boggling game of revisionist history. "Sonic was never about going fast, that was just marketing." Then how do you explain Chemical Plant zone where practically 90% of the level is a pinball machine that you fly through at high speed?

Hasney

If people are running full speed through Chemical Plant Zone for 90%, it's no wonder it's so despised. You wanna go slower and take the high road so you get less of the moving platforms before the underwater section.

It's the worst zone in Sonic 2 anyway. Shame such good music was wasted there.

Sonic fans in that thread are playing a mind-boggling game of revisionist history. "Sonic was never about going fast, that was just marketing." Then how do you explain Chemical Plant zone where practically 90% of the level is a pinball machine that you fly through at high speed?

The thing is they're all right, but they're also all wrong. Because Sonic games themselves never really figured out what, exactly, the design goal of the games was. It was a bit of everything. "Going fast" is the only mechanical identity those games had, but it wasn't the core focus of all the level designs. I swear I saw a video about this a while ago. It's probably either Errant Signal's or Super Bunnyhop's

Hasney

The thing is they're all right, but they're also all wrong. Because Sonic games themselves never really figured out what, exactly, the design goal of the games was. It was a bit of everything. "Going fast" is the only mechanical identity those games had, but it wasn't the core focus of all the level designs. I swear I saw a video about this a while ago. It's probably either Errant Signal's or Super Bunnyhop's

I've always felt that getting fast through a level was a reward for getting good, bar certain areas. I take most of the levels slow and explore the best routes ready for a replay.

Meguro

Banned

I think this is a good way to put it.
It really feels like they never quite nailed down what they wanted Sonic to actually be and I think the games suffered heavily for it.

Fantastapotamus

My problem is.....I don't really want to replay levels just to get faster times?
Also, having only played the Green Hill zone levels......everything looks the same. I would need to replay this level 30 times to remember a "fast path" and for what? There are better games about going through a level fast *cough* Dustforce *cough*

I actually like playing the game but I doubt I'll stick with it to "get good" at it.

Hasney

My problem is.....I don't really want to replay levels just to get faster times?
Also, having only played the Green Hill zone levels......everything looks the same. I would need to replay this level 30 times to remember a "fast path" and for what? There are better games about going through a level fast *cough* Dustforce *cough*

I actually like playing the game but I doubt I'll stick with it to "get good" at it.

Which is fine, you just treat it like any other 2D platformer.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

hi5

Catvoca

Banned

I mean, that's how I play sonic games and I still like them. I just run through the levels, maybe explore a bit, and finish them without remembering where secrets and shit are. It's a perfectly valid way to play and enjoy those games.

oti

Banned
Wait why are you buying Sonic games when you spend half your time on gaf shitting on Sonic?
It was 10 Euros, I'm curious, Jeff likes it.

I don't mind the 10 Euros and will continue playing it. I just needed to know man. I just needed to know.

so is everyone excited that Destiny Talk is making a comeback in September or what

If Destiny 2 is actually good then I won't mind it

The thing that irked me about Destiny talk originally was how much defense that game got in light of it being a mediocre (at best) product

Mania's CPZ is like that but 2's? Ehhhhh.

Wunder

The thing that irked me about Destiny talk originally was how much defense that game got in light of it being a mediocre (at best) product

excited to finally play it when the PC open beta hits later this month

I doubt i'll get it if none of my friends are picking it up though

LiK

Even tho I was a hardcore Destiny player for a time, I have to agree. But there was a loop that was hard to not like. I guess you can say my addiction with Destiny is akin to some Gaffers' obsession with PUBG here right now.

convo

I've always felt that getting fast through a level was a reward for getting good, bar certain areas. I take most of the levels slow and explore the best routes ready for a replay.

My skill level at these games would make a streak of fast dashes through a Sonic level an accident that could happen sometimes, so i also just liked exploring the levels. But i am also a sucker for unlocks and Sonic Mania has plenty cool ones from what i hear. My budget will only allow for Yakuza Kiwami this month but i will most likley get this game just for the love that was put into this game. I am looking forward what that new team is gonna be able to do when they can realize even more original ideas.

Rainmaker

Banned
I went through a "fuck Aerosmith" and "fuck Guns n Roses" stage but recently I've kind of grown into a fan. However, fuck The Rolling Stones then, now, and forever. Garbage music

BTA

Given the fairly atrocious things I've heard about Deponia's writing, I'm not sure why a completely story focused game by the same devs would be an improvement.

LiK

I love Jeff but I can never trust his taste in music mainly cuz most of the stuff he listens to in his Mixlr broadcasts ain't that great anyway.

I dunno what there is to really be confused about in the Genesis Sonic games, the marketing is about going fast and no matter what you are going to do that -- it's just not some racing game where that's the entirety of it. You're still playing a platformer, so you have your fits and stops. Whoaaaa I'm spinnin' around a loop, now I've stopped and have to go across this bit of water on this moving platform. Holymotherfuckinshit goin' down this hill so fasttt... and now I've gotta use a counter-weight on this see-saw to propel myself up a thing.

People seem to be have confused the fact that Sonic has a speed element to it in its level and control design with Sonic being a game equivalent of a Hot Wheels track where you just watch him zoom through to the finish.

Top Bottom