• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

imBask

Banned
I love Jeff but I can never trust his taste in music mainly cuz most of the stuff he listens to in his Mixlr broadcasts ain't that great anyway.

I mean... he said fuck aerosmith and then proceeded to say he bought Van Halen 1984 just seconds later so you're correct

you must be a Nintendo fanboy

I bet you never owned a Genesis

I was a master of video games at 5 years old

how do you even perform simple tasks like putting on pants?
Classic Sega fan, always having to make it a platform thing. Well let me tell you I'm actually an expert on platformers and never understood the point of Sonic being very experienced on the Nintendo (read: proper) school of design. Where is the cape to fly over the levels with? Why am I running to the right for? What does the jump button do?
this is a joke post

kiguel182

That how to play Sonic thread is actually articulating to me why I always disliked Sonic.
Going fast is the only thing that feels good in Sonic but anything past Greenhill Zone wants you to do normal platforming with a character that does not control well at slow speeds.

Yup.

I had a lot of fun mastering levels in Sonic Advance 3 (the only one I really played) and even exploring with Knuckles but the first two games are a pain after the first zone.

Precise platforms with a floaty character isn't fun. Also, fuck that water area.

But I'm glad people are enjoying the game.

These "how to play Sonic" complaints make me laugh. It reminds me of when Kojima was developing Rising and he mentioned that at one point the entire level could be sliced and diced, he didn't know how to make a tangible game in the sense that not everything should be cut or else you wouldn't have a video game(which was going to happen if it weren't for platinum). I mean, if the whole point is for you to want to get through these levels as fast as possible like skip the entire level from how fast you are then what's the point of making a game or even have sense in it? Go play the countless endless runner games on mobile since it seems more like what you want.

To me, Sonic has always been a mixture of things? It's got a look and style, fantastic soundtrack, memorable levels(give or take) and it's a platformer at heart? like it has a certain flow and rhythm to it all. There isn't anything wrong with stopping, backtracking and doing things that isn't just going from left to right at uncontrollable speeds. So, Sonic has never really been good because of one thing but it's a mixture of things that make the entire whole "good" even though when it comes to platformers, Sonic is the last game I'd think about.

So let me get this straight. We got Sonic Mania, Observer, Pillars of the Earth, Undertale for PS4 and Night Trap all in one fuckin week? what is this week

2957443-cp_megamanlegacy2_ql_08152017.00_03_21_15.still001.jpg

Quick Look: Mega Man Legacy Collection 2
When you have seven other games in a series what can do to make it fresh again? One word: anime.

Time to talk about Mega Man fans now

LiK

Somehow the MOBA/Dota talk on Bombcast was actually interesting enough that I didn't need to skip it. I guess it's mainly cuz Jeff is there as an outsider to ask questions about it.

daveo42

Banned
Somehow the MOBA/Dota talk on Bombcast was actually interesting enough that I didn't need to skip it. I guess it's mainly cuz Jeff is there as an outsider to ask questions about it.

Thank god. I thought I was going crazy that I found the conversation around DOTA teams legitimately interesting.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I went through a "fuck Aerosmith" and "fuck Guns n Roses" stage but recently I've kind of grown into a fan. However, fuck The Rolling Stones then, now, and forever. Garbage music
Yea sure all three bands are pretty bland but I will give The Rolling Stones "Some Girls"

I hate Aerosmith as well, also Guns N' Roses, AC/DC and every band like them.

Give me Iron Maiden, Judas Priest and Black Sabbath any day.

I wish Giant Bomb was quicker posting quick looks for AAA or AA games. For example, Agents of Mayhem. I am sure they got review copies so you think they could release a quick look the day of release...or the next day. :(

Hasney

I wish Giant Bomb was quicker posting quick looks for AAA or AA games. For example, Agents of Mayhem. I am sure they got review copies so you think they could release a quick look the day of release...or the next day. :(

Maybe they care as much as the average consumer?

soundtest

Banned
Wait there's no mega man and bass in this?

Nope. only 7-10. Likely didnt bother with MM+B since that would require more work than simply emulating the game if they brought over the SNES version. Also, it's not a numbered MM game and mostly reuses MM8's assets so maybe they didn't want to bother?

TraBuch

Banned
That's my target after Observer, I just hope Daedalic have upped their game since the Deponia trilogy. Seems like this is their take on a Telltale style adventure game.
I kinda hate how these games are called Telltale style adventure games. Aren't Telltale style adventure games just Heavy Rain style games?

Hindl

Damn I missed most of the Sonic talk, but most people articulated why it doesn't click with me.
Which is fine, you just treat it like any other 2D platformer.
But imo it doesn't play well when you're not going fast. It doesn't have a rhythm and feels floaty, and then I get the urge to go fast because that's what it feels like the game is designed to do.
Basically, Sonic feels good when you know the levels and can blaze through them. But to get to that point you have to spend a lot of time slowly and methodically exploring the levels, and it just feels like a mediocre platformer then
However, fuck The Rolling Stones then, now, and forever. Garbage music
Awful opinion. Torn and frayed is awesome

Zaph

I kinda hate how these games are called Telltale style adventure games. Aren't Telltale style adventure games just Heavy Rain style games?

I suppose? But the Telltale definition is probably more common because it often describes more than just mechanics - but also 2D art style, indie developer, prior history of traditional point 'n click games etc.

KingKong

the amount Jeff is paying for internet seems insane, even for California and even for Comcast. hundreds of dollars a month for 250mbps?

I feel blessed to be in a Google Fiber city. Even though my apartment is too cheap to have it installed, I still get 300 mbps and it keeps data caps at bay.

imBask

Banned
Jeff talks about mutliple subscription services he's paying for and doesn't use about twice a week, i'm not too worried about the price he pays for his internet

oti

Banned
so is everyone excited that Destiny Talk is making a comeback in September or what

Wouldn't it be, in theory, the same as Splatoon 2 talk? A bunch of talk after launch but after that just the occasional "yeah I'm still playing it, it's still great, let's move on". At least until until the first raid drops.

killroy87

If it spares us from more PUBG talk I'll welcome it with open arms.

Hearrrrd that. At least Destiny has enough to it for the conversation to be more than

"Man, the situations you get in in this game are crazy!"
"Yup, it's, a crazy game. It's a ton of fun."
"I hear vaulting is coming soon"
"It'll never leave early access"

Hearrrrd that. At least Destiny has enough to it for the conversation to be more than

"Man, the situations you get in in this game are crazy!"
"Yup, it's, a crazy game. It's a ton of fun."
"I hear vaulting is coming soon"
"It'll never leave early access"

Destiny talk just boils down to:

"The shooting feels real good"

killroy87

Wrong. There's also the hours of them complaining about how this will just be Destiny 1.5

(Jokes aside, Giant Bomb has never been very good at sustained discussions about a single game over multiple weeks)

LiK

Well, they actually enjoyed the Raid in D1. Even after many retries, Jeff said he had a good time. I feel like with all their PUBG sessions lately, D2 streams in coop are gonna be much easier for them to do. Raids are gonna be awesome to watch so I'm excited for them to check it out.

After putting like 300 hours into Mass Effect Andromeda's multiplayer, my co-op friends and I are pretty starved for a new game to play together. Destiny 2 will probably will that role wonderfully, and we'll have the Beta to feel it out first so that's nice.

LiK

Please don't take it as a sign that I'd recommend it, or even that I think it's particularly good. It was just a co-op game that came at the right time.

In general I've found it to be supremely disappointing, same as the single-player.

300 hours of disappointment

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Please don't take it as a sign that I'd recommend it, or even that I think it's particularly good. It was just a co-op game that came at the right time.

In general I've found it to be supremely disappointing, same as the single-player.

Can't your friends just play PUBG like normal people?

Well, they actually enjoyed the Raid in D1. Even after many retries, Jeff said he had a good time. I feel like with all their PUBG sessions lately, D2 streams in coop are gonna be much easier for them to do. Raids are gonna be awesome to watch so I'm excited for them to check it out.

For sure, the raids were definitely the best part of the first game.

BearPawB

Banned
Really enjoying Observer.

If you are at all into horror games, having one set in such a cool cyberdistopia is a nice change of pace.

Feels like Blade Runner mixed with a great psychological thriller

Top Bottom