• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Why can't I do the flicker attack from Sonic 3?? This game sucks. You put a million worthless blue sphere stages into this thing but you don't put in one of the best things that ever happened to this dumb series?

Fuck off then. I'm playing as Knuckles.

Why can't I do the flicker attack from Sonic 3?? This game sucks. You put a million worthless blue sphere stages into this thing but you don't put in one of the best things that ever happened to this dumb series?

How was the flicker attack different from the regular jump attack? I was always confused by it back in the day. It felt like it didn't do anything.

Hasney

You can unlock it, but only for use in no save mode. I know, I feel you.

How was the flicker attack different from the regular jump attack? I was always confused by it back in the day. It felt like it didn't do anything.

Extra reach and oddly satisfying.

Isn't that fans of most things though?
I'm what one would call an anime "fan" and anime fans are obnoxious and terrible.
Same with Nintendo.

Pretty much. I have experienced this with Zelda fans lately who get overly defensive if you isolate any aspect of BotW and say you think a past Zelda did it better.

Pretty much. I have experienced this with Zelda fans lately who get overly defensive if you isolate any aspect of BotW and say you think a past Zelda did it better.

We even had mod abuse on a thread where someone said "I like BOTW but I hope it's the last Zelda like it" where they added in some lame poll like "is the OP gonna be disappointed while the rest of us have fun?"

kneejerk fanboy mentality is the worst

BotW fans are insufferable ("this game will change the way you look at video games") but so are Horizon fanboys too.

Now Witcher 3 fans. They get what's up.

not really

Meguro

Banned
We even had mod abuse on a thread where someone said "I like BOTW but I hope it's the last Zelda like it" where they added in some lame poll like "is the OP gonna be disappointed while the rest of us have fun?"

kneejerk fanboy mentality is the worst

inb4 banned for taking a shot at the mods.
Discussing games on a huge forum like GAF is pretty pointless from a critical standpoint.
Discussion goes to the extreme in both ways and legit criticism gets lost in "this game is the worst lol" and legit praise gets lost in "THIS GAME IS PERFECT SHUT UP".

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
It's more that you're more than likely to share the same interests as terrible people.

Unless the thing you like is directly opposed to what terrible people like.

BearPawB

Banned
BotW is a great template.

Not all the experiments worked.

I think most of all it showed Nintendo they can be more creative with the franchise.
I doubt they just keep making BotW clones over and over again. (or i should say i hope they don't)

I want the take away to be that zelda doesn't have to be so rigidly defined

TraBuch

Banned
Echidnas are native to Australia. Hedgehogs are native to Europe and Asia, I believe. Tails seems to be a cross between a Fennec fox and a Red fox. Red foxes are native to North America and Northern parts of Africa. Fennecs are also in Africa, so that must mean Tails is native to Africa.

Can someone explain this bullshit to me? Why are these animals friends? How did they meet? Did Sega not do any research? You can't just throw these animals together. Foxes kill echidnas and hedgehogs. This shit doesn't fit.

imBask

Banned

I think most of all it showed Nintendo they can be more creative with the franchise.
I doubt they just keep making BotW clones over and over again. (or i should say i hope they don't)

They won't

but expect every other open world game for the next 5 years to have poorly implemented copies of the climbing and stamina systems!

Pretty much.

I still have yet to get that expansion pass.

Hindl

BotW fans are insufferable ("this game will change the way you look at video games") but so are Horizon fanboys too.

Now Witcher 3 fans. They get what's up.

not really
Yeah. As one of those BotW fans that it was that transcendent experience, I can still recognize the many flaws of the game. And I understand how the game isn't for everyone

I do want at least one direct sequel to BotW that has more dungeons like Hyrule Castle, some caves, more enemy and boss variety, and more shit to do for exploration than Korok seeds and shrines. After that they can take elements from it and do something else.

Although I think we're going to be seeing a lot more of BotW-style games in the future. After Nintendo struck gold with OoT, the next console Zelda games all were designed to emulate OoT until fans finally got sick of it in SS. I think we'll see them chasing recreating BotW's zeitgeist for a while

Pretty much.

I still have yet to get that expansion pass.

I bought it and immediately regretted it. Since finishing it that game has lost a lot of its luster. Once you've explored that world I find that the attraction fades VERY quickly. Master Mode is intriguing but not nearly enough to make me want to replay the whole thing. And the trials thing is basically just combat challenges I think, I haven't tried it yet, but nah. I hope the story expansion is enough to pull me back in though.

LiK

I bought it and immediately regretted it. Since finishing it that game has lost a lot of its luster. Once you've explored that world I find that the attraction fades VERY quickly. Master Mode is intriguing but not nearly enough to make me want to replay the whole thing. And the trials thing is basically just combat challenges I think, I haven't tried it yet, but nah. I hope the story expansion is enough to pull me back in though.

I picked it up too. I liked the new DLC armor but right now I really want to play the DLC2 and that's pretty far off.

BTA

Echidnas are native to Australia. Hedgehogs are native to Europe and Asia, I believe. Tails seems to be a cross between a Fennec fox and a Red fox. Red foxes are native to North America and Northern parts of Africa. Fennecs are also in Africa, so that must mean Tails is native to Africa.

Can someone explain this bullshit to me? Why are these animals friends? How did they meet? Did Sega not do any research? You can't just throw these animals together. Foxes kill echidnas and hedgehogs. This shit doesn't fit.

Now, I'm not current on Sonic canon, but you're approaching this as if these games take place on Earth and not the planet Mobius, which is supportive of intelligent animal friendship.

J_Viper

If there's a single legitimate complaint that can be hurled at Ben, it's how the amount of e-sports talk on the Bombcast has tripled recently and it really needs to stop

Hasney

If there's a single legitimate complaint that can be hurled at Ben, it's how the amount of e-sports talk on the Bombcast has tripled recently and it really needs to stop

ESports fans would not call that legitimate.

I would have agreed, but I enjoyed the talk on the Bombcast this week for once.

LiK

Well, Internationals is over so back to normal, I assume. Be glad they're not into Overwatch that much because the World Cup is going on right now.

because it's the game of the year

or are you talkin OG nier

no, Automata

I won't even comment on the gameplay at all because I played on Easy and turned everything on Auto so it wouldn't be fair for me to criticize it

but I know people love the story in this and for the life of me I can't figure out why

like it does some interesting things with the presentation, I'll give it that

but it's pretty much exactly what I thought it was going to be and I'm pretty disappointed that people built it up to be more than that

Hasney

I think zelda just needs to get more hardcore really.

Imagine BOTW with the mechanics from the long dark.

tenor.gif

There was one of the biggest tournaments in eSports last week, of course they are going to talk about it haha. $24.7 million is a big deal. I imagine it will be back to normal starting next week

Why? The whole appeal of the bombcast has always been 3 or 4 dudes speaking relatively informally about shit they like. That might not always be what you like, it never has. Ben is into esports and DoTA, but he should talk about it...why? Because Ryan and Dan didn't?

Hasney

Zelda, 2 Yakuza games, Splatoon 2 and Sonic probably make up the top 5 so far, but my thoughts might change and Mario/Mario + Rabbids needs to come out too and Zelda is the only cemented place at number 1.

Culdecept Revolt might sneak in too, it's golden.

Tagyhag

That's like complaining about seeing an increased talk of soccer on Twitter during the World Cup.

swimbuff

I put 10 hours into BotW then got busy with work for a while but never went back. It got boring and there wasn't much in the way of plot or depth in combat to drive me forward in the game. Also I played the game way past the zeitgeist, but coming into it late I don't get why people were so crazy about Eventide Island. It's neat, but that's it.

I'm also near the end of Horizon but never finished it. Combat was fun and I was into the story but for some reason I haven't gone back. Maybe I'll put it on easy and just power through the last few hours.

Ironically I'm way into Elite Dangerous nowadays which also has zero plot but fuck if flying a space ship in the Milky Way isn't awesome.

Meguro

Banned
After playing some Sunshine and Galaxy this past month I'm really excited for Odyssey if only to have a Mario game with that kind of movement again.
Galaxy feels so restrictive compared to Sunshine.

daveo42

Banned
there was one very small part of the story that made me feel something but honestly 99% of it felt like complete nonsense to me

What part in particular? I think there are some parts that stand out more than others, but the themes are deeply tied to every part of the game and plenty of subtext that isn't expressly conveyed to the player and rather shown through character actions or reactions to specific events.

Top Bottom