• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Zocano

To pile on to the nier talk: I have been holding off on playing it for multiple reasons. Partly because I played and adored Nier at the time (although I have chilled yet still very much enjoy it now), and partly because I have heard that the combat doesn't really explore well what it at first presents (the shmup stuff mostly). So dropping 50-60 for that doesn't sound super appealing.

I remember having a slight twitter convo with Austin Walker about it when waypoint was super high on it but from the vague hint drops at its climactic moments and knowing well what's in Cavia's bag of tricks, then I just don't feel a huge urge to play the game. I'm still waiting for it to drop to at least 30 maybe lower.

I keep seeing that the combat sucks from people like Jeff and you. What's so bad about it? I mean, I wish it was Bayonetta instead of Bayonetta-light, but that's still better than almost every action RPG.

I think that's the key. Character action combat, especially the lighter version in Automata, does not hold up for 30+ hours.

That type of action is perfect for 10 hour stage-based games where you're graded for performance and therefore incentivized to be creative and hone your skills, not in story-heavy games where you're just trying to "get past" the encounter to see the next story twist.

Remember We Happy Few? I sure do. Well, it's coming out on April 13th, 2018.

I haven't checked in on the game in a while, but I have to say that they've had the most consistent and detailed updates of any Kickstarter project I've backed.

Looking forward to seeing what the narrative winds up being like. I'll probably play it the normal way but I like that there's going to be an option to turn off the 'survival' aspects to just focus on exploration and story.

Interesting that, at least according to Dan in the QL anyway, they dialed back the Saints Row 4 superhero stuff for AOM. I guess I thought they would go even further with it.

I never got tired of NieR:A's combat and I've played the game twice, both times I did all the grinding to fight the secret bosses, too. So probably almost 100 hours of playing, total.

Top 3 game of all time for me.

It looks pretty interesting now, I remember when it was announced with the E3 trailer, I was so excited, but heard nothing but bad things with the early access of it, it was an interesting beginning, then feel into a Early Access survival game after the intro.

Does anyone else think that CGI trailers are a waste of time? I mean, it looks nice, but it feels like a waste of resources for everyone involved. it's a small trailer and will only be viewed once and won't matter once the game is out. I feel like they could have devoted more time to the game itself... that's just me though, I'm jut not a fan of CGI promotional elements that I'll never watch ever again.

LotusHD

Banned
assume that anything I spoiler tag from here on out will be for the main story of Nier:Automata endings A-E

the part that really made me stop and think was deciding how to handle Pascal after the robot children kill themselves. I really wanted a third option to let him keep his memories and live (which I have since found out is actually something you can do)
but when presented with the two choices I had to decide and I chose to kill him

like when I initially started and had played about 90 minutes and got to the desert boss for the first time, everyone was suggesting to me that there was something way deeper and crazier going on than I thought there would be, but it was incredibly obvious to me at that point the crux of the story was going to be "what is consciousness" and "are the machines and the androids really different?"

like it's literally telegraphed so hard and I don't feel like anything revealed throughout the course of the game subverted those themes in the way a lot of people have said

but my biggest problem is that I was apparently supposed to care about characters who had no actual development and just did things seemingly for no reason, having major emotional and motivational swings with no apparent cause

The "crazy" thing, imo, is the truth of Project YoRHa, and how 2B's identity as 2E recontexualizes large parts of the story, namely her and 9S' relationship. Not machines and androids not being that different, that's extremely obvious to anyone playing through the game, especially after meeting Pascal. That said, it was surprising that it went to the extent that both sides would purposely sabotage themselves so as to keep the war going, truly cementing how similar they are to each another.

Neither of what you listed are what I consider to be the crux of the story in my opinion, though they are obviously themes/points being made.

The main trio did have development aside from 2B, who got her development through unorthodox means as you eventually come to realize why she was so distant towards 9S. That said, A2 would've benefited from more screentime.

And which characters lacked an "apparent cause"?

Hasney

Skipped everything regarding this game as it looked really cool. Will jump in for sure,

I'd, er, check things out if all you've seen is the E3 trailer. Based on the early access, it's almost as much of a bait and switch as the Dead Island trailer.

That's not to say it looks bad, it just wasn't representative at all.

oti

Banned

I remember when people called it their highlight of gamescom (or whatever show it was reveiled at) without seeing the gameplay they released on YouTube.

Tune changed pretty much instantly from the people I know after they saw actual gameplay.

would you say its... mayhem?
giphy.gif

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So are both casts still completely filled with PUBG chat? Because it practically made me stop listening because sure, I can fast forward, but I usually listen in the car in traffic where it's not practical to seek around and I end up just turning it off because I've tuned out.

derFeef

I'd, er, check things out if all you've seen is the E3 trailer. Based on the early access, it's almost as much of a bait and switch as the Dead Island trailer.

That's not to say it looks bad, it just wasn't representative at all.

Dead Island is one of my favorite games of all time :p

The "crazy" thing, imo, is the truth of Project YoRHa, and how 2B's identity as 2E recontexualizes large parts of the story, namely her and 9S' relationship. Not machines and androids not being that different, that's extremely obvious to anyone playing through the game, especially after meeting Pascal. That said, it was surprising that it went to the extent that both sides would purposely sabotage themselves so as to keep the war going, truly cementing how similar they are to each another.

Neither of what you listed are what I consider to be the crux of the story in my opinion, though they are obviously themes/points being made.

The main trio did have development aside from 2B, who got her development through unorthodox means as you eventually come to realize why she was so distant towards 9S. That said, A2 would've benefited from more screentime.

And which characters lacked an "apparent cause"?

I get what you're saying about the relatonship between 2B and 9S, and honestly that was a REALLY big problem I had with the game, but unless it is in a sidequest, there is absolutely nothing that would tell you the big twist there until 5 minutes before the game ends, and someone just comes on the screen and talks at you

I just felt like that part of the story was executed extremely poorly. Yes, it did put things in context and suddenly things like why 2B was so upset about 9S' death made more sense

But it came far too late for me after I was already way too frustrated with aspects of the story. Maybe for some people it's a moment of things "clicking into place" and feeling really satisfied, but for me it was just like "oh, okay."

Regardless of the key to that relationship, I felt like A2 and 2B both underwent general character changes from "cool badass that doesn't give a fuck" to more caring and understanding without much explanation

like the first time on Route C you are confronted with the option of killing Pascal as A2, I chose to do it because I felt like that's what her character would do. But apparently she decided to spare the machine in the canonical version... because why? This is right after a moment of her rage and just wanting to destroy everything in her path, and now she cares all of the sudden?

my big problem overall is most of the game felt like it had no nuance, it was beating you over the head with things and telling rather than showing

I mean in my mind there is absolutely no excuse that several big story beats happen through unvoiced text on a blank background

Dan pretty much nailed the Agents of Mayhem QL.

I disagree with his opinion on the cutscenes though but other than that, that video is a perfect summary of the game for people on the fence.

Florida Leaf.

I think that's the key. Character action combat, especially the lighter version in Automata, does not hold up for 30+ hours.

That type of action is perfect for 10 hour stage-based games where you're graded for performance and therefore incentivized to be creative and hone your skills, not in story-heavy games where you're just trying to "get past" the encounter to see the next story twist.

I disagree (mostly because I play character action games over and over until the wheels fall off), but I can see where you're coming from. There are a bunch of games I've played where I'm like, wrap it up, I get it, no matter how good whatever mechanic is. It's usually shooters for me, though, so it probably comes down to preferences and what you're coming to that particular game for.

Dan pretty much nailed the Agents of Mayhem QL.

I disagree with his opinion on the cutscenes though but other than that, that video is a perfect summary of the game for people on the fence.

Florida Leaf.

The game feels like it would be perfect for an online horde mode. It's kinda crazy there's zero multiplayer in the game at all. The myriad systems and upgrades and unlocks seem perfect for it

Top Bottom