• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

yupdTXm.gif

drabnon

I'm loving Sunshine, if they cancel it then they might be crazy.

Speaking of features they should cancel, everyone generally agreed that the latest Murder Island was meh, right? I put them on in the background and passively watch them but it just isn't as interesting to me as it used to be.

Teddified

I'm loving Sunshine, if they cancel it then they might be crazy.

Speaking of features they should cancel, everyone generally agreed that the latest Murder Island was meh, right? I put them on in the background and passively watch them but it just isn't as interesting to me as it used to be.

It's definitely alright cause I doubt they would replace that monday slot with anything at all, but yeah it does get a bit annoying since they don't really seem to be getting better lol.

m29a

Neo Member
I'll be super disappointed if they cancel Steal My Sunshine. I love it as much as I loved Mario Party Party, and if they didn't cancel that, I highly doubt they'll cancel this. No way Dan will let them.

LotusHD

Banned
I get what you're saying about the relatonship between 2B and 9S, and honestly that was a REALLY big problem I had with the game, but unless it is in a sidequest, there is absolutely nothing that would tell you the big twist there until 5 minutes before the game ends, and someone just comes on the screen and talks at you

I just felt like that part of the story was executed extremely poorly. Yes, it did put things in context and suddenly things like why 2B was so upset about 9S' death made more sense

But it came far too late for me after I was already way too frustrated with aspects of the story. Maybe for some people it's a moment of things "clicking into place" and feeling really satisfied, but for me it was just like "oh, okay."

I mean, how else would you finally know for sure? 2B won't bring it up for obvious reasons. Whenever 9S finds out, he dies and has his memories wiped if 2B and the Commander are aware of it. The Commander won't tell you for obvious reasons. (She only tells you about the humanity thing since 9S already found out, and 2B would kill him if he revealed it to her.) So naturally A2, who has her memories, decides to reveal the truth to an android she now pities. (Partly due to 2B's memories) The only other realistic way he'd find out is if he hacked something, found out, but kept it to himself, which would probably be very underwhelming. But yea, thought it was fine.

I feel that it is perfectly understandable to look at the reveal and think "Oh, okay." I did exactly that. But when I realized that there were hints scattered throughout the game, that's when it became impressive to me, how it changed a lot of things that we as the player had been through. Even the very first line in the game from 2B, her borderline edgy monologue about her wanting to kill god (Which essentially you accomplish in Ending E), takes on a new meaning due to the reveal. Certain sidequests, the subtle cues like her balling up her fist, the Nines nickname, "It always ends like this", the Commander willingly revealing that humanity is extinct, several of the weapon stories, etc., it all makes sense now. There's nothing (other than maybe one sidequest) that's going to outright reveal her 2E identity to you. The fun/satisfaction comes from looking through the story with that info in mind, and seeing things in a new light, which elevated it for me and many others.

I thought it was easily one of the best parts of the game, that realization that eventually sets in after learning the truth. But like you said, everyone's different. Many got satisfaction from the reveal after remembering (or being reminded) about all the little hints, while others find out, and still don't really care that much. It is what it is, but yea, definitely disagree with you there.

my big problem overall is most of the game felt like it had no nuance, it was beating you over the head with things and telling rather than showing

I mean in my mind there is absolutely no excuse that several big story beats happen through unvoiced text on a blank background

What, the game definitely had nuance lol

You could certainly argue that it also beat you over the head concerning several things, but it definitely had nuance as well.

As for that last part, that's of course very much subjective. Due to the rarity of something like that happening in a game, it isn't surprising that it wouldn't click with everyone. But I found all the text stuff to be very engaging.

Hasney

Only way I would accept it being cancelled would be for Beast in the East Kiwami, but that wouldn't make sense as this is live and that's taped. So both! At some point.

Yeah I totally get what you're saying on a lot of that. I think you just appreciated it more than me. This is just not my kind of story but I heard so many good things about it from people I respect so I wanted to experience it for myself.

I think ultimately I just didn't feel a connection to the characters and in the end it was a character story, when I was expecting it to be more a story about concepts. And while it certainly did have concepts, it had a more rudimentary approach to them than I was expecting. I wanted it to be something that it wasn't, and it's totally fine that it's not that thing.

Yeah I totally get what you're saying on a lot of that. I think you just appreciated it more than me. This is just not my kind of story but I heard so many good things about it from people I respect so I wanted to experience it for myself.

I think ultimately I just didn't feel a connection to the characters and in the end it was a character story, when I was expecting it to be more a story about concepts. And while it certainly did have concepts, it had a more rudimentary approach to them than I was expecting. I wanted it to be something that it wasn't, and it's totally fine that it's not that thing.

take it to the OT, bud, it's time for Sunshine

Top Bottom