• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

XCOM tutorial section was a pain to watch. Forgot how linear it was. Can't wait for them to get into the later missions.
I've always thought the XCOM tutorial mission was a perfect introduction to the series. 75% of your squad dies as part of it and it highlights the best part of XCOM--winning in spite of the odds.
Nah Alex will get a lot of good people killed if he continues to play the way he does.

The early parts are still fairly forgiving.

Replaying XCOM: Enemy Within, can confirm.

Sectoid-only missions cover the tutorial basics of "stay in full cover or die." Once the other enemies start showing up, you need to use much more initiative and planning ahead to win.

The Exquisite Corps haven't seen anything yet.
Enemy Within seems pretty much exactly like Enemy Unknown. I thought it was a new story.

Enemy Within diverges a lot in the mid-game. Early-game it adds everything related to MELD, and some new enemies. Also a mission chain, apparently.

Think of it like a proper Civilization-tier expansion to the game, adding stuff all over the place. That's how Firaxis always does it.

Mr. F

Banned
Yea, I think that's just the way he talks but he's much quicker in going with the convo now. It's been quite pleasant.

Oh well I feel like an ass, to clarify I wasn't referring to his natural way of speaking so much as the voice he puts on when he's making bad puns/jokes

Harley Quinn in BTAS was fantastic. Only Paul Dini understood her character the most. I was never a fan of other versions of her by other writers.
Yes. To be honest, BTAS everything was fantastic.
Prey 50% off on steam woop woop.

Also now the RRP is USD60 instead of USD75? Double woop woop.

Get this, folks. We need more people talking about it come GOTY time.
https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-nidhogg-ii/2300-12456/

Nidogg 2 QL is here. I dunno how you guys do that fancy posting of it all the time though, haha.

Time to watch! I doubt i'll get the game. Too much on the plate right now.

BTA

Why did no one on the beastcast pointed out to Abby that the 4K on the Xbox One S is limited to bluray/video stuff? Why are they so dismissive regarding the Xbox brand?
Echoing the "it's only on Xbox? That sucks." say...

Will they?

Because right now pretty much nothing's fully One exclusive since they've (thankfully) moved to releasing everything on PC too. Which still means Abby could use a One, I guess, since her ability to place PC games is limited, but even then there's not a ton of exclusives coming out anyway.

I know I'm biased here as someone who never owned a 360 to begin with but unless it's press conference time, I sorta forget the One exists sometimes.

m85iOL4.png

swimbuff

Geez August has been a stacked month for video games I want to play on console. Patapon, Tacoma, Hellblade, Night Trap, Cities: Skyline, Nidhogg 2, Observer, Sonic Mania, Uncharted, Pillars of Eternity, Mario + Rabbids, Windjammers, XCOM2 DLC and fucking Yakuza.

Holy shit. I should quit my job.

Geez August has been a stacked month for video games I want to play on console. Patapon, Tacoma, Hellblade, Night Trap, Cities: Skyline, Nidhogg 2, Observer, Sonic Mania, Uncharted, Pillars of Eternity, Mario + Rabbids, Windjammers, XCOM2 DLC and fucking Yakuza.

CI8wlhP.gif

And this is just the beginning. It's a great problem to have though.

Eh, haven't watched the quick look yet, but back when they played it on UPF(?) I was shocked when the look of the game finally clicked with me. Up until that point I fucking hated what I'd seen from the early trailers.

I find it repulsive. Designed solely to attract the twitch audience, but I did enjoy their time with it. They seemed to be genuinely fond of it.

Zocano

What is it that you would say you hate about Dota 2? Is it like a fanbase thing more than a game thing?

This is a general question to the people that say they hate the game.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
What is it that you would say you hate about Dota 2? Is it like a fanbase thing more than a game thing?

I just find it to be a less interesting event to spectate version of Starcraft/RTS games

and I don't even find RTS games that interesting to spectate

No it's horrible... I feel like I am not getting done anything.

You just gotta budget your time right. Sometimes you just have to stop even if you don't want to and jump onto another game. If you spread your priorities and gaming time right, you could make progress in many different games while also doing the things you need to do in your life. You just gotta not get carried away, atleast that's what I try to remind myself of always.

daveo42

Banned

I just find it boring. The TI talk from the bombcast was actually interesting and the esports dynamic and the dialogue around it was engaging more so than anything else related to DOTA or other MOBAs. I get the appeal of the game and why people like it and play it for hours on end, but I find it all very boring and uninteresting.

I also slant towards SP games and experiences as opposed to competitive MP.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

I feel like I've played more games now than the last time I was unemployed.

Then again the last time I was unemployed I was just out of college and anxious about life in general.

derFeef

You just gotta budget your time right. Sometimes you just have to stop even if you don't want to and jump onto another game. If you spread your priorities and gaming time right, you could make progress in many different games while also doing the things you need to do in your life. You just gotta not get carried away, atleast that's what I try to remind myself of always.

Nah, I only have like 10 hours a week for gaming (that includes consuming GB content)

BTA

Oh, in my case I'm just continually shit at time management.

Slowly getting better, and I know some steps I need to take to improve that more, but it's a process that's taken a long time to get going.

daveo42

Banned
Is GB's player borked or something? I had issues with it last night at home and this morning on my work PC where it would show the loading text for well over a minute before I could click play. It also seems like they have a serious memory leak going on as it crashed my TV app several times due to a lack of available resources.

Never happened before until last night.

Just put it in the background while you play games.

I don't like doing that, I want to watch. For instance yesterday I wasn't able to game much(just like 15 minutes which I ended up beating Hellblade) because I spent most of my free time watching Steal My Sunshine live. I usually make my schedule around GB stuff. Even then sometimes things come up and you have to do said things so even if you plan things ahead, not everything will go according to plain.

Hasney

I don't like doing that, I want to watch. For instance yesterday I wasn't able to game much(just like 15 minutes which I ended up beating Hellblade) because I spent most of my free time watching Steal My Sunshine live. I usually make my schedule around GB stuff. Even then sometimes things come up and you have to do said things so even if you plan things ahead, not everything will go according to plain.

Yeah, if I was like that, I just wouldn't watch anything from Giant Bomb at all because I'd rather be playing games. Although certain games, like PUBG, are unplayable with something else on, so I just don't play it.

derFeef

Done it with Overwatch, Sonic, XCOM2, Rocket League, Football Manager, FTL, Kingdom Hearts, FIFA and Mario Sunshine just this week.

I tried it a few times and it never works out, I honestly want to watch the content with full concentration. Same with games - I kinda feel like an ass not paying full atention and no better than those people that give poor reviews on steam because it seems like they play with audio off and do not pay attention to the story at all. Or skip cutscenes and story stuff just like Abby.

Yeah, if I was like that, I just wouldn't watch anything from Giant Bomb at all because I'd rather be playing games. Although certain games, like PUBG, are unplayable with something else on, so I just don't play it.

Haha, I just wanted to say that PUBG is one of those games that work in that regard.

LiK

PUBG is perfect for background noise while gaming cuz it's just a lot of scavenging with some moments here and there. Not the most exciting to actually watch cuz I just get annoyed with them unable to kill people right in front of them.

Hindl

Same.

That's a very specific thing to know.

*Eyes hindi suspiciously*

Are you hiding a hatchet behind you?
Nah people were just saying that in the OT thread about the march, so I looked it up and sure enough

Welcome everyone to the big show
[Jake and Jack and the Dark Carnival]
Remove your hats or we'll cut off your head
[Show respect, youse amongst the dead]
Don't like bigots and richie boy fucks
[Ain't shit changed, bitch check us]

Goddamn biggots ain't all that
So I'ma cut your brain out
Reach in and pull your spine out
Fuck your Rebel flag! (Fuck your Rebel flag)
Fuck your Rebel flag! (Fuck your Rebel flag)-(Fuck your Rebel Flag!)
And he's a funky ass biggot too
Fell short of the due respect
Don't speak when I slap ya in your red neck
Fuck all that bullshit you stuck on
Get back on your mule and get the fuck on
Don't look back or I'ma hit ya
Take that red neck bitch out with ya
Spit on your Rebel rag, so fuck you and your Rebel flag!
Well, I'm heading down a southern trail, I'm going chicken huntin'
Chopping redneck chicken necks I ain't saying nothing
To the hillbilly stuck my barrel in his eye
Boomshacka boomshacka hair jumps in the sky
Apparently chickens are bigots in juggalo speak. Even if ICP were good their style of music is not for me
yeah idk

literally the first song I clicked on in their library
Anti-bigots can still be white trash women-beating pieces of shit

Hasney

Big Show?

Well its the Big Show!
It's a big bad show tonight. (oh baby, come on. oh yeah)
Yeah, its the Big Show.
Crank it up, turn on them lights! (turn them on)
Get ready for something
That you've never known.
You wont see it coming
But I promise you'll know...

It's the Big Show
Come to set everything right. (oh, set them right)
Yeah its the Big Show.
He's gonna burn this house tonight. (oh burn it down)

Your time is over.
Your times come around.
Hold your head above me.
Then I'll plant you in the ground! (yeah)

Yeah!
Oh Mr. Big Show
Gonna burn it down
Oh yeah.
Listen now

Well its the Big Show!
It's a big bad show tonight. (Oh it's tonight baby)
Oh yeah it's the Big Show!
Whoa crank it up turn on them lights! (oh, oh)

Well get ready for something.
That you'll never know.
Too Late for running,
It's time for the show.

Gonna get even for them lies that you told.
Time to meet your maker, cause it's hauling you home
To the Big Show.

Ohhhhh yeah!
'til the Big Show
Oh yeah
Burn it down!
Oh, Oh, Oh yeah.

Ohh its coming.
Turn up them lights
Turn up them lights!

swimbuff

I found my GB-binging game (Elite Dangerous), so I've been able to keep up with the content glut pretty good. That does mean I don't get to play the newer games as much. I played about 5 matches in Splatoon 2 before Elite got its hooks in me, which is stupid because by the time I get back to it the game will be full of high-level freaks.

The overall quality bar for games in 2017 has been super high, but I wonder if it will reach the heights of 1998. I feel that we have more great games this year, but none are landmarks like MGS or Zelda were for that year.

Top Bottom