• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Europe is the size of like 3 American states. It isn't a 1:1 comparison, especially if you're in the UK

Europe is larger than the United States.

I live in a country with a lower population density than the US (and far, far lower than California).

And Jeff lives in the vicinity of San fucking Francisco.

I mean, all I want is for the people there to get reasonable prices for their internet. It's considered a basic right here.

Europe is larger than the United States.

I live in a country with a lower population density than the US (and far, far lower than California).

And Jeff lives in the vicinity of San fucking Francisco.

I mean, all I want is for the people there to get reasonable prices for their internet. It's considered a basic right here.

Europe...isn't...larger than the US?

Texas itself eclipses multiple European countries. Europe is a little ant compared to the US.

Even though Jeff lives near San Francisco, that's still an hour away by car. You can cross European countries in an hour.

hLGlplZ.jpg

Europe...isn't...larger than the US?

Texas itself eclipses multiple European countries. Europe is a little ant compared to the US.

US is ~9.8km2
Europe is ~10.1km2
Even though Jeff lives near San Francisco, that's still an hour away by car. You can cross European countries in an hour.

It takes two hours to get from where I live to our biggest city which has a lower population than San Francisco.

And then if you include Alaska...

You could reasonably fit all of Europe into the US(If you jig sawed it and moved it to fit neatly). And then we have Alaska.

..and after adding Alaska we're about even, which is exactly where we started from.

I still don't see what your point is.
You could reasonably fit all of Europe into the US(If you jig sawed it and moved it to fit neatly). And then on top of that we have Alaska.

No you could not.

This is Europe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe

..and after adding Alaska we're about even, which is exactly where we started from.

I still don't see what your point is.

No you could not.

This is Europe: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe

The point being is you're complaining about Jeffs internet costs

When Europe is much denser than the US. Your anecdote of 'I was born in a small village. I was still a child when we were raided by soldiers. Foreign soldiers.' is well, an anecdote.

The US doesn't have as much heavy population density as Europe does.

daveo42

Banned
The issues aren't related to land mass, it's population density and lack of incentives (regulations/competition) to offer competitive internet speeds and pricing. The US has a slightly smaller landmass but half the population of Europe. There's a reason why they are called flyover states. The entire middle of the country is farmland.

Plus Jeff, like most Americans, have access to one ISP. Two if you are lucky. Three if you include shitty satellite internet. ISPs can charge whatever for whatever speed they want to offer you and you just take it because where else are you going to go?

Edit: Quick Math (sorry in sq mil)
Europe: 189 ppl per
United States: 85 ppl per

The point being is you're complaining about Jeffs internet costs

When Europe is much denser than the US.

Yes and as I said

My ISP also only operates in this country, so I don't really see what population density has to do with it?

`The post above is a perfectly clear explanation why the prices are high in the US, and it's also exactly the thing I think is wrong with your system. The ISPs here are forced (by law) to allow other ISPs to offer services over their infrastructure, which means the prices will be lower for everyone.

kiguel182

Okay, cheapest package here is 35 euros for 200 down but it includes hundred or so tv channels. Could be worse.

Yeah but you get accents on Bombcast. I've never heard a Finnish accent on the Bombcast!

You win the "Shittiest Eurovison winner song in a decade" prize. Congratulations!

Pff, you wish.

Top Bottom