• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

daveo42

Banned
Which shirt?

1490805_1.jpg

imBask

Banned
I own the real Sonic Youth version of that shirt, but I promise I will play through Nier Automata before GOTY time

This thread has got me worried tho

I bought that new Mike Bithell game sight unseen but I’m not really digging it

Maybe I’m just incapable of having any emotional attachment to robots

imBask

Banned
Worried that you've yet to play the GOTY? Yeah, I'd be worried too.

idk, taking advice from this thread :

the story is good
the gameplay is boring
play on easy because it gets boring otherwise
it could've been a movie
no saves or checkpoint in the first 30-45 min
save system is old school

I'll give it a fair shot but this thread is selling it like a plate of turd, except the plate is really nice

LiK

Dan is so clueless about eggs. This is amazing. I can listen to Dan try to figure out what eggs are all day.

the story is good
the gameplay is boring
it could've been a movie

I'll give it a fair shot but this thread is selling it like a plate of turd, except the plate is really nice
To be fair you should absolutely 100% completely ignore my opinion on the game because it’s just not for me. People who like it seem to really like it.

the story is good
the gameplay is boring
it could've been a movie

Kinda sounds like you're listening to a few posters in this thread and ignoring others? Saying it could be a movie is straight up crazy.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

the story is good
the gameplay is boring
it could've been a movie

I don't think those are things this thread is saying at all.

Phatmac

I'm a bit surprised to see so many people dislike the combat in Automata. It felt great to me. The only real issue is the enemies you face aren't varied enough. You can also customize how you fight in a ton of interesting ways with the chips.

imBask

Banned
Kinda sounds like you're listening to a few posters in this thread and ignoring others? Saying it could be a movie is straight up crazy.

I guess. I don't really care like i'm saying i'll give it a fair shot, I just don't know what to expect anymore . Just waiting for a solid price drop on Steam!

I don't think those are things this thread is saying at all.

hey you like Persona 5 and Automata so idk what to think, YOU'RE TEARING ME APART ANTIWHIPPY

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

the story is good
the gameplay is boring
it could've been a movie

The first part of the game is okay (don't both with any sidequests, they all suck)
The second part of the game is so incredibly boring and awful that I never played the third part (despite finishing the second part) which is the part where the story gets good.

Ashby

The "play it on Easy" people should be rounded up and put into camps. And I'm not just talking about Nier:A but in general.

daveo42

Banned
Combat can get a bit samey and it's not nearly as deep as some other Platinum games, but I played on Normal and never got tired of it, even after 55 hours.

Sorry GBGAF, no kiss on the cheek. Dan did read the request for Vinny to play Danganronpa though so I call that a net positive.

The "play it on Easy" people should be rounded up and put into camps. And I'm not just talking about Nier:A but in general.

It rarely seems to end well for the people who do that to be honest. You need at least a little pushback.

How about “play it on Easy, run past enemies if you can, and give yourself infinite money and XP”

(This is how I play most single player games)

imBask

Banned

idk man sometimes after a day at work, I don't wanna be challenged I just wanna chill. Depends on the situation

I'm a bit surprised to see so many people dislike the combat in Automata. It felt great to me. The only real issue is the enemies you face aren't varied enough. You can also customize how you fight in a ton of interesting ways with the chips.

The dodge window is beyond forgiving to the point where you don't get punished for doing a "bad" dodge because there's no such thing as a bad dodge, it's not very deep compared to P*s best work, and playing as 9s was a total slog for me.

It seems to be a poorly balanced game when it comes to difficulty.

Antiwhippy

How about ”play it on Easy, run past enemies if you can, and give yourself infinite money and XP"

(This is how I play most single player games)

At some point I seriously thought about doing this for single player games too if I just want to see through the story.

But I still need that pushback.

I still like getting my ass handed in me in DJ max though so I dunno, I still have that maso streak in me.

Phatmac

The dodge window is beyond forgiving to the point where you don't get punished for doing a "bad" dodge because there's no such thing as a bad dodge, it's not very deep compared to P*s best work, and playing as 9s was a total slog for me.

It seems to be a poorly balanced game when it comes to difficulty.
True. It isn't P*'s best work, but its still decent. I had a good time in combat most of the time.

The combat in Automata (which I did enjoy) made a lot more sense to me after going back and starting Gestalt. It's not so much "Platinum combat" as it is "Nier 1 combat touched up by Platinum."

True. It isn't P*'s best work, but its still decent. I had a good time in combat most of the time.

Oh yeah, I didn't love it as much as others seem to love it, but I still think it's a good game. I just felt a little let down by the combat. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't memorable to me either.

Antiwhippy

Hell yeah it is, you get to be a badass and wreck shit without worrying about being held back by the five layers of unlock systems in the game

How about game that's explictly about the challenge like dark souls etc.?

Or are they usually not your bag of tea?

Meguro

Banned
I'm thinking about cheating my way through Trails in the Sky to be honest.
I like turn based combat but it just feels like such a terrible slog in that game and I'd rather see the story than drop it because I hate the combat.

Phatmac

The combat in Automata (which I did enjoy) made a lot more sense to me after going back and starting Gestalt. It's not so much "Platinum combat" as it is "Nier 1 combat touched up by Platinum."
That's the best way to describe why I enjoy it. It still feels like Nier, but with the P* touch.

How about game that's explictly about the challenge like dark souls etc.?

Or are they usually not your bag of tea?
To be fair I’m exaggerating a bit, I don’t play all games like that

I have tried Dark Souls and nearly every single thing about it was a turn-off to me, but the concept has always intrigued me. However I did recently play The Surge and it was totally clicking with me, and suddenly I “get” why people like the Souls genre. But then the first boss fucked my shit up relentlessly and I put it down.

And then you have games like The End is Nigh where it is 100% about challenge but there are no currencies or whatever that I have to wade through to get to the actual challenge part, I enjoy that game and similar things to it (Spelunky is one of my favorite games of all time)

But in general I don’t play games for their challenge, that just doesn’t interest me at all. I play games for experiences, for narrative, and to play around in fun playgrounds

Antiwhippy

To be fair I'm exaggerating a bit, I don't play all games like that

I have tried Dark Souls and nearly every single thing about it was a turn-off to me, but the concept has always intrigued me. However I did recently play The Surge and it was totally clicking with me, and suddenly I ”get" why people like the Souls genre. But then the first boss fucked my shit up relentlessly and I put it down.

And then you have games like The End is Nigh where it is 100% about challenge but there are no currencies or whatever that I have to wade through to get to the actual challenge part, I enjoy that game and similar things to it (Spelunky is one of my favorite games of all time)

But in general I don't play games for their challenge, that just doesn't interest me at all. I play games for experiences, for narrative, and to play around in fun playgrounds

Ah alright, I was just curious, so it's good to know.

I feel you in a way which is why I have also been in a kick for story heavy games with little to no "gameplay" like NitW, VNs and some walking simulators. Though walking simulators are starting to turn me off with their method of archaeological story telling.

BTA

The fun thing about using Stack Overflow for work is that GoT spoilers are just openly in the sidebars now.

Dan can't do anything to me but that sure can. I guess I'm finally watching that episode today then.

Oakinn

the story is good
the gameplay is boring
it could've been a movie

I came to Nier A, having no experience with the series. I played on normal and saw all 5 main endings. It's something. I found the gameplay to be fine but the narrative kept me going. It's one of those "should be seen" games.

Top Bottom