• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

I mean GB GOTY is all about what they enjoy the most and what content is loved the most apparently so PUBG will win.

Because it's unequivocally the best game released this year.

"But but but you can do 10000 things in zelda and climb towers!"

Yeah so what I did that in Far Cry 2 10 years ago. BOTW is not original.

Masterpieces:

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 (even though I like 4 more, 3 perfected the 2-minute run flavor of TH)
Metroid Prime
Burnout Paradise (fuckin fite me)
The Witcher 3
The WItness
Spelunky
Mario Galaxy 1+2
Chrono Trigger

oti

Banned

lolwhat

giphy.webp

lolwhat

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Break goty into two awards.

goty technical
goty artistic

I agree, then Battlegrounds clearly would lose both categories. I can get behind this initiative.

At that point I'd even endorse a "Best bad game with boring videos that inexplicably blew up this year" award so it gets something.

derFeef

we finally agree

'oh look i can set grass on fire in zelda'

yeah I did that years ago buddy. 'oh I can physics the world!' welcome to 2010 gimmicks

Aaaaand PUBG was done before years ago as well. What's your point here? Tell me - and that your argument is not applicable to Zelda as well?

Hindl

PUBG is literally an ARMA mod, it's not original either. I don't love BotW because it's original, I love it because it took existing ideas and made them better

Aaaaand PUBG was done before years ago as well. What's your point here? Tell me - and that your argument is not applicable to Zelda as well?

PUBG is literally an ARMA mod, it's not original either. I don't love BotW because it's original, I love it because it took existing ideas and made them better

because unlike arma or dayz or whatever it's focused in what it's set out what to do.

This is one of the issues of the zelda game. It's not focused at all. It just puts you out there in the world and it goes 'fuck you' and then what? you go burn some grass? Kill some chinchillas and get a stupid stick weapon? Grats, bravo, you've made a worse survival game.

derFeef

because unlike arma or dayz or whatever it's focused in what it's set out what to do.

This is one of the issues of the zelda game. It's not focused at all. It just puts you out there in the world and it goes 'fuck you' and then what? you go burn some grass? Kill some chinchillas and get a stupid stick weapon? Grats, bravo, you've made a worse survival game.

Uh you are just repeating yourself now, still no arguments to be seen.

BTA

Why is there no Kingdom Hearts Party franchise?

BBS has a Fortune Street-style minigame to get/improve skills (I forget the specifics) so there's that.

I do sorta wonder why there hasn't been a full Fortune Street game that's Kingdom Hearts focused though.

Better question: Can a bad game be a masterpiece?

I would argue that Deadly Premonition is a masterpiece, personally, even though I don't think it's necessarily an objectively "good" game despite loving it.

But in general I try to stay out of GOTY arguing and also would tend to agree with Abby and Austin's takes on the word; I'm leaning more towards Abby's here in saying this.

kiguel182

I think games being math and art isn’t completely wrong. I mean they have a component of design and design isn’t the same as art.

That said I still say that they should be analysed more like art and less like products. Part of what I like about Austin is the way he looks at games.

And even if you don’t like Zelda, the fact that it shares elements with Far Cry 2 doesn’t make it lack originality or less worthy of acclaim. You can’t look at features and just end it at that. Makes no sense.

And Battle Royale game have been around for ages so saying that and then that PUGB is GOTY makes even less sense.

I’m still in the “don’t use math to review games “ camp. It’s a disservice to games and also makes for really poor discussions.

oti

Banned
I asked first

Piston, come on. I know we like having fun around here. But answer me honestly, have I ever said that Breath of the Wild was original? It's the best Open World game in years, maybe ever, but I wouldn't call it original.

Has anyone ever called BOTW original anyway?

Also suggesting I'm having a Nintendo bias because I like BOTW, one of the best video games of all time according to critics, sure is cute.

Masterpiece doesn't feel like the right word to describe collaborative works (well unless it's a British television show airing on PBS) and most modern video games don't fit with auteur theory.

oti

Banned
BBS has a Fortune Street-style minigame to get/improve skills (I forget the specifics) so there's that.

I do sorta wonder why there hasn't been a full Fortune Street game that's Kingdom Hearts focused though.

I wonder of Disney was approached for a Kingdom Hearts Warriors game. That could make a lot of money, actually. Throw a bunch of costume DLC in there.

kiguel182

As long as Horizon isn’t GOTY I’m good. It will rob some game of the top 10 and that’s bad enough.

They will give it best story and that’s bad enough.

Hindl

This sounds more like a condemnation of non-linear/open world games in general than Zelda. You have a goal, Destroy Gannon. There's even other quests that direct you where to go, but you don't have to do them. Is Minecraft a bad game?

Top Bottom