• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

kiguel182

I couldn't care less about power. I really don't see the appeal of it.

Like, I get making powerful stuff so then you can make some different games but paying 500 bucks for IQ and frame rate is clearly not for me.

I could buy so many games for that price!

Owl7jqv.gif

I can't tell how much of this Xbox hysteria is real, but I'll chip in. It's kind of sad that backwards compatibility is still the most appealing thing about potentially owning an Xbox.

Microsoft is so lost and that's a bummer

It never fails to amaze me that so many people have such an affinity for the Xbox brand.

Not believing anything until it's confirmed.

FUCK IF TRUE THOUGH. I BOUGHT A 3DS FOR RHYTHM HEAVEN.

That rumor is bullshit, or at least the author's conjecture is bullshit. The last game sold a ton, but the musical producer has throat cancer, which, you know, might put a damper on this music game franchise.

oti

Banned
Probably not this year though.

It's nearly September and their release date for now is "at the end of this year". Let' see if it comes out at all this year. And if it does, it will be part of Microsoft's Early Access program on Xbox. Does Sony even support Early Access games on PS4? So, yes. This should be Xbox exclusive for a while.

Aaron

Microsoft is in such an awkward position. At this point in the game people have ps4s, so they have to do everything in their power to entice people in buying their console... and it's not working.
Are they? Because funding new games is in their power, and they've got 2 of those for like the next two years. I'm also not going to buy a Forza every year.

- J - D -

I don't think I'll be buying an Xbox One X. I don't even have a PS4 Pro.

This mid-cycle refresh thing ain't working for me. The messaging has been bad on all fronts.

kiguel182

That PUBG exclusivity thread is hilariously depressing. The way people invest in brands is crazy.

That said I hate exclusivity deals. Honestly, after this console cycle I’m buying a PC. I don’t even want a crazy one, I’m just tired of playing “will this come to my console”.

Problem being, what is going to convince MS to compete at this point?

They said that they aren't too interested in competition in the past. It's part of the reason they report their MAU numbers instead of sales numbers anymore.

However, they still do compete in terms of services and exclusivity deals. Look at Xbox Game Pass vs PS Now, XBL vs PSN, EA Access vs nothing on Sony's end and more. Their work on their services and deals are where they compete.

Zaph

Problem being, what is going to convince MS to compete at this point?

Short of Ballmer coming back to MS, nothing? Xbox had a massive amount of resources poured into it mostly because of Ballmer's obsession with "winning" the living room (while losing the smartphone).

Nadella sees it as a annoyance that'll never have a positive impact on their balance sheet, so he has it on a very short leash and treats it like the rest of their hardware experiments.

I still think that PUBG is going to slip into early next year. They're currently saying very late 2017 (which was already behind their initial release goal). I think with an added Xbox port they "official" release will be in 2018... I wonder if that happens if GB changes their rules and allows it in the GOTY conversation
(That would be pretty messed up if they did though)

Edit: Also if they release in Xbox preview this fall and then do an official release in the spring they basically get 2 launches to advertise... It seems to me that it makes more business sense to release in 2018.

Leaving early access on PC is meaningless. Plenty of games leave EA and are still kinda incomplete / broken.

PUBG could be 1.0 tomorrow if they wanted.

Zaph

I still think that PUBG is going to slip into early next year. They're currently saying very late 2017 (which was already behind their initial release goal). I think with an added Xbox port they "official" release will be in 2018... I wonder if that happens if GB changes their rules and allows it in the GOTY conversation
(That would be pretty messed up if they did though)

Jeff and Alex have made it pretty clear that rule is done.

kiguel182

I hope PUBG releases this year because I'm not looking forward to the "can we include Early Acess games on GOTY" discussion?

"Games are a service"
"What does 1.0 even mean these days?"
"We are talking about the game that defined the year"

Just include it.

I hope PUBG releases this year because I'm not looking forward to the "can we include Early Acess games on GOTY" discussion?

"Games are a service"

Just include it.

Yeah, they also record it in like early to mid December, right... I could see this game come out after GOTY but still in 2017

oti

Banned

"Games are a service"

Just include it.

I can see why Jeff might want to work through that process first. He really cares about this stuff. Heck, he cares about the database a lot. I often forget the GB database is a thing.

TheChits

I do just love notch dirt

Halo 3 is still the best Halo. Not just in terms of levels but man, it still must be the most content filled release ever.

Absolutely. Forge mode really blew me away. God I miss that franchise. Some of the most fun I've ever had with competitive multiplayer and coop

Just beat the secret lake Sunshine level that has the rotating white cubes and the red and blue panels that killed GBEast in one of the early episodes. Took me three times! (the two failures were both at leaving the panels at the very end of the level which I think Vinny did).

Gotta say, the controls are way better than they give it credit for. The camera does indeed suck behind the ferris wheel though.

I wonder if Gary Whitta still thinks the exclusives are pretty comparable and there's no difference between Xbox and PS.

Lol.

If an early access game is good enough that you would consider it your personal GotY, I don't see why it shouldn't be a valid option. GB GotY is just a (very) subjective list of the teams favourite games, not some super formal thing. Rules like this are pointless.

Plus I want to see the PUBG -> BOTW reaction shitstorm

kiguel182

I can see why Jeff might want to work through that process first. He really cares about this stuff. Heck, he cares about the database a lot. I often forget the GB database is a thing.

Yeah, I know. It's his historian side talking. The database is a good example.

And I think the database is worth it and you need to think about release dates for that and such.

That said, I couldn't care less about what's the number of the version in the game and this discussion has happened often enough (or it feels like it) that I don't need to hear it again.

I'm cranky and being an asshole about it but yeah, just make the game GOTY.

Edit: Hopefully they decide afterwards and just say "this is how we are doing it". Or the game goes 1.0 this year and we can delay this again.

Top Bottom