• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Was thinking of what games can crib Battlegrounds and I cant believe I haven't thought of Battlefield yet.

They already have high player counts on console so thats a chunk of the work done.

Add in Battlefield tanks and choppers and jets and stuff I bet there could be something fun there.

Hindl

If an early access game is good enough that you would consider it your personal GotY, I don't see why it shouldn't be a valid option. GB GotY is just a (very) subjective list of the teams favourite games, not some super formal thing. Rules like this are pointless.

Plus I want to see the PUBG -> BOTW reaction shitstorm
There won't be a shitstorm, unless you're talking about GB audience in general and not just this thread

You'd think the crossover of Disney and Square would immediately lead to wild things to comment on, but Kingdom Heartache is reinforcing my opinion that KH is just a boring game. Ben and Jason actually gave it more attention compared to previous episodes, and that didn't make it any more entertaining.

Anyone else who lives the worst current gen gaming life that they don't have either a decent gaming PC that can run PUBG and a Switch/Wii U to play BOTW? Because that's me right now. Maybe it's for the better so I don't get suckered into the dumbest debates about which one deserves GOTY.

Short of Ballmer coming back to MS, nothing? Xbox had a massive amount of resources poured into it mostly because of Ballmer's obsession with "winning" the living room (while losing the smartphone).

Nadella sees it as a annoyance that'll never have a positive impact on their balance sheet, so he has it on a very short leash and treats it like the rest of their hardware experiments.

It's been abundantly clear that Microsoft does not care about Xbox, and that the executives running it do not care. It seems like a classic Microsoft product now -- where dueling power centers in MS force idiotic decisions on all MS products to win battles for their little fiefdoms.

Just think about it. In what world does it make sense for MS to have all Xbox (first-party) exclusives also be on PC? If all the non-exclusive games are equivalent between PS4/XBO -- and I already have a decent PC -- why would I buy an Xbox? That 'feature' only exists because some exec running the Windows 10 Store told the exec running Xbox it had to be, to try and get anybody to use the Windows 10 Store.

Even if they were not putting almost all exclusives also on PC, there is still the problem of there being few exclusives -- at least compared to Sony and Nintendo. All MS shoves out is Gears and Halo sequels, and half-hearted games they just dump out to die (Quantum Break, anyone?)

The Xbox One X is the clearest signal that Microsoft does not know what they are doing, and does not care. I can not understand how immensely deluded the execs running Xbox must be to think the solution to their Xbox problems (no software) is to push out... more hardware?

Sorry for the rant. This is the first generation where I got all consoles early in the generation, and it makes me angry that MS just does not even pretend to care anymore.

Do I spend my Sunday evening catching up on some GB content or fulfilling my biannual check-in with wrestling? [wtf is it with gaf and emoji? picture "thinking face" here lol]

(Or the boring Option C: constructive uses of time like looking for jobs, writing, etc)

So i'm in a position where I can get an xbox one s for $120. Do you all think it is worth it for some 4K blu rays and some backwards compatibility games that aren't on PC (i.e. lost odyssey, skate 3)? Already have a gaming PC so it would primarily be for that stuff.

$120 for a UHD BD player and backwards compat games seems pretty reasonable.

So i'm in a position where I can get an xbox one s for $120. Do you all think it is worth it for some 4K blu rays and some backwards compatibility games that aren't on PC (i.e. lost odyssey, skate 3)? Already have a gaming PC so it would primarily be for that stuff.

oti

Banned
Yeah, I know. It's his historian side talking. The database is a good example.

And I think the database is worth it and you need to think about release dates for that and such.

That said, I couldn't care less about what's the number of the version in the game and this discussion has happened often enough (or it feels like it) that I don't need to hear it again.

I'm cranky and being an asshole about it but yeah, just make the game GOTY.

Edit: Hopefully they decide afterwards and just say "this is how we are doing it". Or the game goes 1.0 this year and we can delay this again.

I really don't care whether it's Early Access or not. Just give that game GOTY if you enjoyed it the most and call it a day. We don't need to make this more complicated. All I hope for is for some kind of pushback on PUBG though. Just to have an interesting conversation. I'm afraid that won't happen though.

Yeah I would do it for $120 for the 4K stuff if you are into blu rays and collecting.

edit: The backwards compatibility is probably the best thing XBOX has going for it right now.

Ashby

Tbh the movie doesn't do much to inspire sympathy in them to begin with.

I read the book before I read the movie so I guess I do that thing where I'm thinking of the novel's characterizations (which spends a lot more time fleshing the kids out of course) when watching the film.

TraBuch

Banned
Was thinking of what games can crib Battlegrounds and I cant believe I haven't thought of Battlefield yet.

They already have high player counts on console so thats a chunk of the work done.

Add in Battlefield tanks and choppers and jets and stuff I bet there could be something fun there.
The Last of Us 2 multiplayer mode.

anyway, the real GOTY is Prey, thanks for asking

Really need to get in on this soon, even though I "only liked" Deus Ex: Mankind Divided and Dishonored 2. I was more into their predecessors on an emotional level, even if I found these latest entries to be technically better in every way. But the gushing over Prey from people who really like it has me excited to play it.

The Last of Us 2 multiplayer mode.

Hell yes. I love the original's multiplayer. Spent hundreds of hours. It has the same ebb and flow of slow, tense moments of looting and positioning exploding into chaotic violence already, but just on a way smaller scale. A PUBG game with the production value of a Naughty Dog game could be gigantic.

Cling to that game because that whole genre is basically dead now. The last three or four AAA immersive sims all super bombed.

I know, but it's all cyclical. There was basically next to nothing for a long time before Human Revolution either. It'll come back around again in a few years. Also, we're starting to see immersive sim elements bleed over into more genres, so that's great. MGSV had a lot of elements, albeit on a smaller scale with less permanence, as did BOTW.

Good in theory but Naughty Dog's MP pay to win crap would ruin it.

I defended their decision to put new weapons and skills behind paywalls because I got good enough at the game to understand all the strengths and weaknesses of every gun and ability, and that I found their balancing to be pretty on-point over the year and a half that I played it.

But now that I'm way removed from it, yes, it would really suck if they did the same thing for TLOU 2 mp. I do remember them forgoing that with the Uncharted 4 multiplayer, so there's hope!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I know, but it's all cyclical. There was basically next to nothing for a long time before Human Revolution either. It'll come back around again in a few years. Also, we're starting to see immersive sim elements bleed over into more genres, so that's great. MGSV had a lot of elements, albeit on a smaller scale with less permanence, as did BOTW.

Can't you just treat something like the new metro game aka shadow of chernobyl 2 as one?

Honestly stuff like shadow of Chernobyl has always been way more immersive.

Ashby

Swear to God, I saw the term "immersive sim" for the first time like yesterday and I'm generally a fan of those games. I must have missed the recent vote where we decided to all start using it.

TraBuch

Banned
Swear to God, I saw the term "immersive sim" for the first time like yesterday and I'm generally a fan of those games. I must have missed the recent vote where we decided to all start using it.
Well yeah, people rarely use ludanarrative dissonance now. We needed a new buzzword.

hamchan

Immersive Sim just doesn't fit as a genre name for me. When I think of that genre I think of a whole lot of menus and systems and very obvious paths that make it feel a whole lot like a video game instead of something "immersive".

I love the genre so it's a real shame all the games bombed. I love the last Deus Ex too even though it gets a bad rap everywhere.

Ashby

The last battle against Kazuo is a lot cooler and more involved in the book. It's totally the boss fight that Dan says he was waiting for. Surprised they didn't do it in the movie.

If I hacked the Giant Bomb Tiwtter account I would fake announce a Ben + Jason persona 5 endurance run just to see how much I can make the planet grown.

anyway, the real GOTY is Prey, thanks for asking
While it's not my GOTY, it's definitely in my top 10. Adore that game.
You'd think the crossover of Disney and Square would immediately lead to wild things to comment on, but Kingdom Heartache is reinforcing my opinion that KH is just a boring game. Ben and Jason actually gave it more attention compared to previous episodes, and that didn't make it any more entertaining.

It didn't age well but I still find it charming and fun in its own right. The Alice in Wonderland world is not good because it's confusing as fuck. Even then though, gameplay wise, KH2 is way better.

If PUBG is in the mood to add stuff from Battle Royale, I hope they add a bottomless Uzi into the mix.

(I know that this is hardly the first action movie to exaggerate magazine sizes but woof)

Top Bottom