• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

I still get upset thinking about how badly Square Enix botched the marketing, and if Jim Sterling is to be believed, even the development of Mankind Divided. It got pretty good reviews, and it's a pretty good game too, but I felt like all the Augment Your Preorder bullshit and the tone deaf Aug Lives Matter nonsense really dampened the excitement for it on both "consumer first" gamers and the woke audience. Pretty much a death sentence for any game.

I still get upset thinking about how badly Square Enix botched the marketing, and if Jim Sterling is to be believed, even the development of Mankind Divided. It got pretty good reviews, and it's a pretty good game too, but I felt like all the Augment Your Preorder bullshit and the tone deaf Aug Lives Matter nonsense really dampened the excitement for it on both "consumer first" gamers and the woke audience. Pretty much a death sentence for any game.

It's kind of funny how much controversy that raised but the game itself doesn't... really do anything with it except as background events.

Can't you just treat something like the new metro game aka shadow of chernobyl 2 as one?

Honestly stuff like shadow of Chernobyl has always been way more immersive.

No because it's a different genre. Immersive sim is a weird/slightly off-putting genre label, I'll grant you, but it has nothing to do with how immersive the game is, nor does it mean it's a sim. It's a design ethos that traces its lineage to looking glass games, but really was established by System Shock 2 and Deus Ex. Campster had a good video on it a while ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAtAyycx-uY&

Although Mark Brown's video might be a better overview for a simple breakdown of what the genre actually is, but they overlap a bit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbyTOAlhRHk

Can I blame Jim Sterling's dumb populist crusade against Deus Ex for it failing?
Well no, I can't, but Deus Ex MD was good.

I love the "immersive sim" games but never truly understood how that name stuck to define them.

The brief resurgence of the genre has been bittersweet knowing the games haven't sold that well.

I love the "immersive sim" games but never truly understood how that name stuck to define them.

The brief resurgence of the genre has been bittersweet knowing the games haven't sold that well.

I think Warren Spector came up with the term, and he's kiiiiind of the daddy of the genre, so, y'know. That carries some weight. The rest is the same as all language: people started using it.

The people who make these games don't even seem to care for it. It's weird how it caught on so recently. It didn't even have a wikipedia page until a few months ago. Then you get people trying to cram in games not even from the Looking Glass heritage into the category to justify it as a real genre.

Can I blame Jim Sterling's dumb populist crusade against Deus Ex for it failing?
Well no, I can't, but Deus Ex MD was good.

I never watched any of his videos about it, but I've always respected his goal of calling out anti-consumer practices by publishers. Also, he's one of the few reverse milkshake ducks out there, so I can't ever be mad at the guy.

I blame it all on Square Enix with their meddling, and if it's true that they were the ones who decided to have the story chopped up, fuck them even more. The secret story in the vault will probably never be continued!

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The people who make these games don't even seem to care for it. It's weird how it caught on so recently. It didn't even have a wikipedia page until a few months ago. Then you get people trying to cram in games not even from the Looking Glass heritage into the category to justify it as a real genre.

I mean it's a confusing tag.

I mean it's a confusing tag.

It is. And it only really applies to a couple of games so people try to say Go Home or Bioshock Infinite are "immersive sims," which really muddles things even further. As a way to say "games that are like those old Looking Glass studio games," it's not a very good descriptor.

I agree with Alex that some people who like Sonic Mania forget how unforgiving and clunky Sonic 1 & 2 are. I don't believe it extends to Sonic 3 & Knuckles though which still plays really well. To me Mania is more in line with S3&K then the first two.

It didn't age well but I still find it charming and fun in its own right. The Alice in Wonderland world is not good because it's confusing as fuck. Even then though, gameplay wise, KH2 is way better.

I played it 5 years after its release (which is a fucking decade ago goddamn), and already found it confounding in the worst way. Didn't care for the story either so I didn't bother with the sequel.

I played it 5 years after its release (which is a fucking decade ago goddamn), and already found it confounding in the worst way. Didn't care for the story either so I didn't bother with the sequel.

Nobody cares about the story, going by the people I've met at the KH concert earlier this year and people who are close to me. Most are into it because of Disney, cute boys and that soundtrack as I mentioned a while back. I'm in it for the Disney characters/worlds and that soundtrack.

I think it's hard to get into the game unless you're into Disney or you grew up with Disney like I did.(or maybe something else hooks you in)

hamchan

Some people prefer the maze-like, obtuse level design of KH1 to the more linear levels in the sequels.

I call them crazy people.

Nobody cares about the story, going by the people I've met at the KH concert earlier this year and people who are close to me. Most are into it because of Disney, cute boys and that soundtrack as I mentioned a while back. I'm in it for the Disney characters/worlds and that soundtrack.

I think it's hard to get into the game unless you're into Disney or you grew up with Disney like I did.(or maybe something else hooks you in)
me

I also grew up with Disney! Perfect age when the renaissance happened. Little Mermaid, Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, etc. I ate all that up as a kid. Kingdom Hearts didn't do anything interesting with any of those properties.

The coolest thing in that first game was fighting Cloud and Sephiroth.

pizzacat

Banned
Immersive sim to me sounds way off from what it really is for some reason

I'd always call them another bioshock like game

But after having played system shock 1 and half of 2 recently I've been calling them shock games now, one thing I've noticed between them all is that their concepts are too big for their own good and their endings suffer for it

Warts and all they're slowly creeping on being my favorite sp games, prey being my favorite goty so far excluding tekken, I wish I can get into the new deus ex, I sadly can't.

me

I also grew up with Disney! Perfect age when the renaissance happened. Little Mermaid, Lion King, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, etc. I ate all that up as a kid. Kingdom Hearts didn't do anything interesting with any of those properties.

The coolest thing in that first game was fighting Cloud and Sephiroth.

It didn't do anything interesting or even add depth to them. What it did was put them in insane and ridiculous scenarios wrapped around RPG terminology and anime bullshit. It also recontextualized the original films to fit the insane shit that happens in the series which I always found to be funny. That was pull for me and while I'm not into RPGs, the concept was enough to get me interested. I forgot to mention but the voice acting is kind of NUTS in those games when it comes to how faithful it is to the original Disney characters. Also, the summons never got old for me and the soundtrack is solid gold.

AErvKda.gif

At the same time I could see why someone would not like or be into KH because you have to sift through BS to get to the good stuff.

I think Warren Spector came up with the term, and he's kiiiiind of the daddy of the genre, so, y'know. That carries some weight. The rest is the same as all language: people started using it.

That's more what I meant. Like, years ago when Vampire Bloodlines was recommended to me, I was told it's an action/FPS-RPG. Also not the best classification. But it feels like recently these games are classified as immersive sims. Giving it a quick search, it's been used way back when but not as often. Maybe I haven't been paying attention.

That's more what I meant. Like, years ago when Vampire Bloodlines was recommended to me, I was told it's an action/FPS-RPG. Also not the best classification. But it feels like recently these games are classified as immersive sims. Giving it a quick search, it's been used way back when but not as often. Maybe I haven't been paying attention.

The term existed, but it somehow because a much more widespread thing recently.

It didn't do anything interesting or even add depth to them. What it did was put them in insane and ridiculous scenarios wrapped around RPG terminology and anime bullshit. It also recontextualized the original films to fit the insane shit that happens in the series which I always found to be funny. That was pull for me and while I'm not into RPGs, the concept was enough to get me interested. I forgot to mention but the voice acting is kind of NUTS in those games when it comes to how faithful it is to the original Disney characters. Also, the summons never got old for me and the soundtrack is solid gold.

AErvKda.gif

At the same time I could see why someone would not like or be into KH because you have to sift through BS to get to the good stuff.

I felt like that supposed craziness never really showed through with how much fans hype it up as a highlight of the series, at least not in the first game. Watching it again, it all feels so... sterile. Like, it's colorful, sure, but the writing and voice acting feels so stilted so far.

When I think of games getting crazy, I think MGS2, DMC, and hell even the first two God of War games. And those are on the same generation as KH!

I felt like that supposed craziness never really showed through with how much fans hype it up as a highlight of the series, at least not in the first game. Watching it again, it all feels so... sterile. Like, it's colorful, sure, but the writing and voice acting feels so stilted so far.

When I think of games getting crazy, I think MGS2, DMC, and hell even the first two God of War games. And those are on the same generation as KH!

I never saw the craziness as a plus though but merely as an interesting spectacle because most of it didn't make any fucking sense(well atleast the first KH kind of does). Like MGS2 is crazier than anything that happens in KH but still there are crazy moments happening with Disney characters or characters associated with Disney like fighting
Chernabog as "Night on Bald Mountain" plays.
OR

doortodarkness.jpg

Pissed off Dark Mickey Mouse for instance.

e: There's also joy to be found in Donald & Goofy reacting to other Disney characters or the darkness.

Harpuia

I miss seeing the staff feign gratitude when fans sent them literal garbage.

The early ones were great. The later ones were odd and kind of awkward. I think the exact moment Jeff thought "hm, we can't do this anymore can we" was when they were sent boxes of stuff with a letter saying "well, I have no space for this in my home so fuck here you go I guess" every mailbag.

The early ones were great. The later ones were odd and kind of awkward. I think the exact moment Jeff thought "hm, we can't do this anymore can we" was when they were sent boxes of stuff with a letter saying "well, I have no space for this in my home so fuck here you go I guess" every mailbag.

They did mailbags for years after that started.

Giant Bomb was like a Goodwill for a while there, just people sending old junk, almost every letter was "I was cleaning out my old dank cellar and thought you guys would want these moldy VHS tapes" or something of that nature.

I mean dan gave us demo derby with his old demo discs, GB fans just escalated it by sending in every single demo disc ever.

Dan gave us demo derby and GB West is holding it hostage.

They Live F&40 will probably go up on a weekday lol.

Wouldn't be shocked tbh

I mean dan gave us demo derby with his old demo discs, GB fans just escalated it by sending in every single demo disc ever.
Man, I want GBeast Demo Derbys. Dan, Vinny,Alex, and Abby would be a blast.

Yes, Jeff enhances what Dan and Drew started but The East crew would enhance it even further imo.

Aselith

It's kind of funny how much controversy that raised but the game itself doesn't... really do anything with it except as background events.

Tbh that makes it worse. Using very serious real life issues as window dressing is frankly irresponsible. If you're going to reference it, you need to be using it FOR something not just as a reference because references.

Top Bottom