• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Catvoca

Banned
I guess I'm the opposite to Mango because I'm 5 hours into Nier:A and loving it. Maybe it's because I'm playing it straight after the first Nier, which I thought was pretty damn mediocre, but the setting and gameplay had me immediately hooked. It's such a huge jump in quality in basically everyway. Very excited to play more!

Aselith

What was that? Guess I didn't pay enough attention to get this.

They were talking about f2p games and products with subscriptions and Brad said "fuck paying a subscription for internet things" and then Rorie made a joke about Giantbomb. Was about 47 minutes in on this weeks.

Edit Oh wait I was wrong that was the joke that Rorie made... Bradf says its going to bum him out if everything goes subscription. Got that mixed up. :p

oti

Banned
They were talking about f2p games and products with subscriptions and Brad said "fuck paying a subscription for internet things" and then Rorie made a joke about Giantbomb. Was about 47 minutes in on this weeks.

Edit Oh wait I was wrong that was the joke that Rorie made... Bradf says its going to bum him out if everything goes subscription. Got that mixed up. :p

Yeah, no. I don't think you can compare these two things. Having to subscribe to use a piece of software is terrible. A group of people creating content is a different thing, for me at least. Wouldn't make any sense whatsoever to only pay once for GB and have access to premium forever. The price would be absurdly high.

Aselith

Yeah, no. I don't think you can compare these two things. Having to subscribe to use a piece of software is terrible. A group of people creating content is a different thing, for me at least. Wouldn't make any sense whatsoever to only pay once for GB and have access to premium forever. The price would be absurdly high.

Send it to Rorie!

What was that? Guess I didn't pay enough attention to get this.

He complained about most software becoming subscription services rather than the one time fee they used to be. It's not quite the same thing, but Rorie noticed and pointed it out it was a little awkward.

Went back and watched it. Brad never said that he said "that's really going to bumm me out if everything goes to [subscription model]"

Rorie says the fuck line sarcastically as a return. Brad then explained he was talking about products that don't change and you're using to continue to use it vs where they keep providing more content for your subscription

Edit: replied before I saw your edit.

J_Viper

I've been watching Demo Derby since yesterday and now I feel like playing a bunch of PS2/Xbox games... Sucks I don't have a PS2 anymore and don't have a TV with the right inputs anyway.

Could go for some THPS3, Full Spectrum Warriors or Mercenaries right about now

I've been watching Demo Derby and old On the Spot videos all week and I'm in the same exact mood

I have access to a CRT, I just gotta find a decent ps2 bundle on eBay when I have the spare cash for it

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
They are really ticking every box to make the internet hate Wardor.
What's missing? Bunch of different pre order editions ans e-sports?
Edit:Welp

I wonder if they'll discuss the Middle-earth: Shadow of War online and microtransaction stuff on the next Bomb/Beastcast

https://twitter.com/CyberRakan/status/894327684611936256

The online stuff seems to have been wrong or at least not required. Probably only used for MT and what not and someone just took it wrong. Would make absolutely zero sense as to why it'd need an internet connection. The MT stuff is fine by me as long as it can be ignored. Mankind Divided and Assassin's Creed have had them and they were never an issue.

Rather than shit on all of UPF (since it's always been my Saturday morning entertainment), the only thing I heard this week that I find "telling" of the way UPF is now, is someone made a comment of "A lot of indie people email us game keys and ask us to look at them on here...".

Honestly, I feel like that shows now. It used to be them fucking off with games they liked or thought would be funny to show off, and now it seems like there's always at least one or two "bullshit" Steam games that show up.

Joeku

https://twitter.com/CyberRakan/status/894327684611936256

The online stuff seems to have been wrong or at least not required. Probably only used for MT and what not and someone just took it wrong. Would make absolutely zero sense as to why it'd need an internet connection. The MT stuff is fine by me as long as it can be ignored. Mankind Divided and Assassin's Creed have had them and they were never an issue.

Mankind Divided's got added absolutely last minute during optimization time and very likely kept coders away from that game performing better than it could have around launch (and they only work in the playthrough you buy them in), but at the very least that means the game's progression was clearly never designed to push players to buy them. Can't say that for any other game with them.

Microtransactions in a single player game are a friggin' pox. I would literally prefer a tip option in Shadow of War to toss some extra cash at them (with assurances that it would funnel back to Monolith development instead of the suits at WB). Then I wouldn't have the boxes hanging over my whole playthrough of the game
but if it's anything like the first Shadow it'll be piss-easy anyway

IZTSLgR.gif

I went back and started The Adventure Zone last week, and man, I wish I had done so earlier than the week before the finale. It's so fucking good.

I guess I'm the opposite to Mango because I'm 5 hours into Nier:A and loving it. Maybe it's because I'm playing it straight after the first Nier, which I thought was pretty damn mediocre, but the setting and gameplay had me immediately hooked. It's such a huge jump in quality in basically everyway. Very excited to play more!
Out of curiosity, did you see all the endings and such? I'm playing in the opposite order and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying Gestalt after all the shit it gets for its gameplay.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The first nier's gameplay is totally alright and its badness is totally overblown.

It's more the movement to me that's a big improvement. Getting around in the first nier is a chore compared to automata.

Out of curiosity, did you see all the endings and such? I'm playing in the opposite order and I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying Gestalt after all the shit it gets for its gameplay.

Gestalt's gameplay is better than its reputation. Hell it even has better boss battles and more variety of gameplay types than Nier A.

kvothe

lol @ Brad accidentally shitting on Giantbombs's revenue model on UPF. Good stuff!

As he later explained, it really isn't the same thing. A subscription to use software vs. a subscription for an entertainment media provider. How else could giant bomb sell content? Piecemeal? No thanks. But photoshop could easily just sell you their software for a one time charge. If they add features, they could just sell it as the 2.0 version.

Antiwhippy

As he later explained, it really isn't the same thing. A subscription to use software vs. a subscription for an entertainment media provider. How else could giant bomb sell content? Piecemeal? No thanks. But photoshop could easily just sell you their software for a one time charge. If they add features, they could just sell it as the 2.0 version.

Problem is that they would sell the 2.0 version with a full price as well.

It makes sense for corporate where they don't have to worry about keeping up with updates. Maybe not for the regular user. Or students who would look for the best value and/or pirate it.

The GBW crew legitimately enjoying That's You on UPF showed me that the show can still manage a surprise or two on occasion.

That game looked terrible. Takes 4X longer than the average Jackbox game and didn't look fun at all. The narration was also baffling. The game has styyyyyyle though, which makes it all the more frustrating.

Catvoca

Banned

I got ending A and B and then youtubed C and D since I didn't want to have to grind out unlocking every weapon. The endings aren't that different really, the B route adds some stuff but doesn't actually change what is happening in the story, and C and D are more like Epilogues. The combat is fine, it's nothing special but I didn't hate it. Moving around the world is a bit of a chore though, and the jumping animation is one of the worst I've ever seen. Like seriously, who the fuck jumps like that? I feel the same way about the story, in that it's mostly fine but nothing special. There's moments where it shines, mostly in the dialogue that happens when you're running around and in a couple of small story sections (The forest of Myth is dope!) but I never connected with the characters or world all that much. The late game revelations and Route B stuff has some smart ideas but I didn't find any of it that mind blowing or emotionally resonant. There's a lot of cool ideas and I love the dungeon variety in the first half of the game but none of it added up to much more than that, a collection of decent ideas with middling execution.

After reading so many gaf comments saying it was underrated and the reviews were wrong I was left thinking "nah, a 68 metacritc seems about right to me".

Would rather it be based on the 1999 The Mummy, where you can play as Brendan Fraser with a gun, Oded Fehr with his sword, or John Hannah running around shouting "Amenophus!" at enemies.

Yes please. I'm only interested in this because it's being made by WayForward.

Joeku

Yes please. I'm only interested in this because it's being made by WayForward.

WayForward? Well, if it's kind of a light contra-playing metroidvania, then sure, I'm in!

Still, give me Imhotep shooting sand faces and The Rock scorpion king boss. Give me the silly dumb shit instead of the self-serious tripe that that new movie is.

Antiwhippy

I got ending A and B and then youtubed C and D since I didn't want to have to grind out unlocking every weapon. The endings aren't that different really, the B route adds some stuff but doesn't actually change what is happening in the story, and C and D are more like Epilogues. The combat is fine, it's nothing special but I didn't hate it. Moving around the world is a bit of a chore though, and the jumping animation is one of the worst I've ever seen. Like seriously, who the fuck jumps like that? I feel the same way about the story, in that it's mostly fine but nothing special. There's moments where it shines, mostly in the dialogue that happens when you're running around and in a couple of small story sections (The forest of Myth is dope!) but I never connected with the characters or world all that much. The late game revelations and Route B stuff has some smart ideas but I didn't find any of it that mind blowing or emotionally resonant. There's a lot of cool ideas and I love the dungeon variety in the first half of the game but none of it added up to much more than that, a collection of decent ideas with middling execution.

After reading so many gaf comments saying it was underrated and the reviews were wrong I was left thinking "nah, a 68 metacritc seems about right to me".

Eh.... I'd disagree with you on the B route stuff.

But yeah the movement in Automata is where the improvement comes in really. First nier had this weird animation priority feeling even with just the normal walk/run. Also it actually has fast travel lol. The first nier it was a pain to even go upgrade your weapons.

Just a heads up that B route in automata is kinda similar, but then it diverges from the first nier quite a bit.

WayForward? Well, if it's kind of a light contra-playing metroidvania, then sure, I'm in!

Still, give me Imhotep shooting sand faces and The Rock scorpion king boss. Give me the silly dumb shit instead of the self-serious tripe that that new movie is.

Well we did have terrible/average Mummy games.

The Mummy PS1

is8dGPG.gif

The Mummy Returns PS2

ukIo6eY.gif

and also The Mummy third shitty film for PS2, also gameboy games

Catvoca

Banned
Eh.... I'd disagree with you on the B route stuff.

But yeah the movement in Automata is where the improvement comes in really. First nier had this weird animation priority feeling even with just the normal walk/run.

Just a heads up that B route in automata is kinda similar, but then it diverges from the first nier quite a bit.

I'm liking Nier: A a lot more already so I'm prepared to replay a bunch of shit with minimal changes later on lol.

Didn't realise it had fast travel either, awesome. Should make doing side quests a bit less tedious at least.

[Original Nier Spoilers]
And I can totally see how Route B would connect with people but it just missed the mark for me. Maybe because
I thought it was very obvious that you're not the heroes in the second half of that game, even without touching Route B
but none of it landed that hard for me. The fact that I was bored out of my mind replaying the same shit I'd just played also made me less invested in what happens in the plot because I was just trying to rush through to see the new shit. It's structure kind of let it down a bit there for me. Watching lore videos afterward about how it
ties into drakengard was a cool experience at least.

Lmao at those mummy games.

13918_front.jpg

Just look at this sick ass boxart
I shudder to think how bad a late 90s movie game trying to ape ps1 tomb raider actually controls.

They are HORRIBLE. Well atleast The Mummy Returns on PS2 looks better and controls abit better but they're both bad games. I've played them back in the day but never finished either of them. Never tried the gameboy games though.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.

Giant Bomb could sell stuff piece meal and then I would pay for it with tokens as they did things on camera for me and put on shows for the group when we hit a certain amount of coins for the night. I think they could all do this. And do private shows of splatoon 2.

Giant Bomb could sell stuff piece meal and then I would pay for it with tokens as they did things on camera for me and put on shows for the group when we hit a certain amount of coins for the night. I think they could all do this. And do private shows of splatoon 2.

lmao

The GBW crew legitimately enjoying That's You on UPF showed me that the show can still manage a surprise or two on occasion.
I feel like they had most of the same complaints that beast had when they played it. They might have come out more positive on it in the end but there is no denying it has nothing on the jackbox games. Even the bad ones.
Edit: also why the fuck have we seen nothing of Super Massive's new game since E3? WTF Sony?!

danm999

They seemed to have a more positive initial impression (likely because none of them had played it before), but you can see them turning on it as the game wore on, especially Jeff.

Top Bottom