• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Megasoum

Banned
I've been watching Demo Derby since yesterday and now I feel like playing a bunch of PS2/Xbox games... Sucks I don't have a PS2 anymore and don't have a TV with the right inputs anyway.

Could go for some THPS3, Full Spectrum Warriors or Mercenaries right about now

Harpuia

Oh I know. I've been in the Overwatch threads.

That's how the entire F2P market works. People will spend hundreds or thousands of dollars to maybe (!) get a jpeg of their favourite hero in a Gacha game. That's just... why? Value perception is subjective and all. But seriously, why?

I'm so glad the part of my brain that makes people susceptible to this shit is missing. I have like 18 chests in Overwatch that I've yet to open. From level ups not purchases.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I've been watching Demo Derby since yesterday and now I feel like playing a bunch of PS2/Xbox games... Sucks I don't have a PS2 anymore and don't have a TV with the right inputs anyway.

Could go for some THPS3 or Mercenaries right about now
Craigslist my friends. PS2s are dirt cheap, as are CRTs. You know you want to.

Or you could just emulate PS2 on PC.

The last DOTA video is the least-watched video on their youtube of the last month and that fact gives me life, strengthens me, and nurtures my bones
I like Dota and Dota content, but I understand it's not for everyone. I wouldn't begrudge them at all if they dropped it due to lack of interest.

LOL @ Jeff placing the KH team on stealth blast during UPF

I like Dota and Dota content, but I understand it's not for everyone. I wouldn't begrudge them at all if they dropped it due to lack of interest.

Its their youtube channel which they have admitted on not having much views and needing to work on it though

If their internal rankings is saying the same thing then i could see that

- J - D -

I hope they keep doing Dota vids, if nothing else just for their enjoyment. I have no interest in them and never will, but if it makes Brad happy to do them then he should keep at it if resources and scheduling allows it

...is something I would say if the content coming out of GBW were varied and consistently released.

justjim89

This isn't a new gripe, but man it's fucking irritating the way Dan dismisses things he doesn't like, yet when somebody says something he likes is bad he acts incredulous and flabbergasted. It's annoying as hell. Just this week on the Beastcast, Dan went back to his "TWD Season 1 is a bad game" bullshit, when earlier in the show Vinny or Jeff dismissed something he liked as bad or dumb and he got noticeably upset by it.

It just gets so fucking old. You're paid to talk into microphones for a living, the least you can do is rise above the level of discourse usually reserved for 4chan and youtube comments.

oti

Banned
I'm so glad the part of my brain that makes people susceptible to this shit is missing. I have like 18 chests in Overwatch that I've yet to open. From level ups not purchases.
I like loot boxes as rewards or markers. As in Imma play until I get a box and call it a day. That's it though for me. Obsessing over skins or "rare" digital items (damn is that concept stupid) will only bring misery.

Hasney

Finished Kingdom Hearts, jumped right back in to do the speed run trophy. Was a lot of fun outside of the gummi ship, swimming and flying.

oti

Banned
I hope they keep doing Dota vids, if nothing else just for their enjoyment. I have no interest in them and never will, but if it makes Brad happy to do them then he should keep at it if resources and scheduling allows it

...is something I would say if the content coming out of GBW were varied and consistently released.
No. I'd hope there are more interesting games than Dota that can bring Brad happiness.

#killDota
numbers flying out of enemies = GOTY contender

forgot this is set in Seoul, that might be neat
Not set in Americaland?
Dan will kill it in the deliberations.

- J - D -

This isn't a new gripe, but man it's fucking irritating the way Dan dismisses things he doesn't like, yet when somebody says something he likes is bad he acts incredulous and flabbergasted. It's annoying as hell. Just this week on the Beastcast, Dan went back to his "TWD Season 1 is a bad game" bullshit, when earlier in the show Vinny or Jeff dismissed something he liked as bad or dumb and he got noticeably upset by it.

It just gets so fucking old. You're paid to talk into microphones for a living, the least you can do is rise above the level of discourse usually reserved for 4chan and youtube comments.

Sometimes you can't take the Old out of the Dan.

No. I'd hope there are more interesting games than Dota that can bring Brad happiness.

#killDota

But there are very few things that bring such joy to Brad.

derFeef

Hello new thread! Image in OP reminds me of my bombcast cover art I did many years back :D

gbcover2_by_derfeef-d62j8km.png

Finished Kingdom Hearts, jumped right back in to do the speed run trophy. Was a lot of fun outside of the gummi ship, swimming and flying.

I just finished it was well in proud mode. It was a nice revisit and it still holds up pretty well. I kinda liked the flying but the swimming and gummi ship were straight up garbage. I think I liked the gummi ship when I played it as a kid and spent hours customizing it but couldn't be bothered now. Also I don't know if it is because I don't remember to much from when I played it 15 years ago, but your AI partners SUCKKK!!! Goofy was kinda ok but donald kept dying every three seconds and nevert helped at all. Also some bosses get really hard at times in proud mode.

Can't want to go through the three hour tutorial in Kingdom Hearts II sometime next month. I really wish that part wasn't so long.

Harpuia

I forgot the context in which it was brought up but amongst Dan's odd opinions, hating the walking dead is one I'll give to him. Games not fun to go through. The story is great but then you have the awful QTEs that belong in a generation long gone. It's also something he's talked about before. Probably didn't want to send the podcast into telltale walking dead defense mode tangent.

Hasney

I just finished it was well in proud mode. It was a nice revisit and it still holds up pretty well. I kinda liked the flying but the swimming and gummi ship were straight up garbage. I think I liked the gummi ship when I played it as a kid and spent hours customizing it but couldn't be bothered now. Also I don't know if it is because I don't remember to much from when I played it 15 years ago, but your AI partners SUCKKK!!! Goofy was kinda ok but donald kept dying every three seconds and nevert helped at all. Also some bosses get really hard at times in proud mode.

Can't want to go through the three hour tutorial in Kingdom Hearts II sometime next month. I really wish that part wasn't so long.

Did proud too. Hit a couple of roadblocks where I had to grind a bit and ended up finding all the dalmations for full wind, but when I could use Tinkerbell, it was all gravy.

justjim89

I forgot the context in which it was brought up but amongst Dan's odd opinions, hating the walking dead is one I'll give to him. Games not fun to go through. The story is great but then you have the awful QTEs that belong in a generation long gone. It's also something he's talked about before. Probably didn't want to send the podcast into telltale walking dead defense mode tangent.

See though? You just made a more articulate criticism of it than Dan has literally ever made. The most I've heard him say is "The story is bad! The characters are bad! The gameplay is boring and dumb!"

Disliking it isn't the problem. It's the way he says it that makes it obnoxious.

yeah there really is something special about this mario galaxy game thingy

No game I have ever played has translated "joy" into video game better than Galaxy 1&2. That's why I consider them the best games of all time.
YES.

Hello new thread! Image in OP reminds me of my bombcast cover art I did many years back :D

gbcover2_by_derfeef-d62j8km.png

hLTk26A.gif

It's a pretty fun game to speedrun.

Sometimes you can't take the Old out of the Dan.

But there are very few things that bring such joy to Brad.

If only Brad could remember that he liked Heretic and Hexen, then maybe he would be willing to play them on a stream. Or the edutainment software that he talked about last week (but will do nothing with).

See though? You just made a more articulate criticism of it than Dan has literally ever made. The most I've heard him say is "The story is bad! The characters are bad! The gameplay is boring and dumb!"

Disliking it isn't the problem. It's the way he says it that makes it obnoxious.

But it's a work therefore it's funny!!!

Toparaman

Banned
Finished first play thru of Nier Auto. This game has fucking sucked so far, and I've put a dozen hours into it. The writing is groan-inducing and uninteresting. The gameplay is irritating. The visuals are bland and dated.

So supposedly the game really picks up from here, but man, a dozen hours is way too long to wait for something to get good. Not pleased.

Alucrid

Banned
Finished first play thru of Nier Auto. This game has fucking sucked so far, and I've put a dozen hours into it. The writing is groan-inducing and uninteresting. The gameplay is irritating. The visuals are bland and dated.

So supposedly the game really picks up from here, but man, a dozen hours is way too long to wait for something to get good. Not pleased.

lol might as well drop it now

I'd say if the end of route A didn't hook you in then I'm not sure you'll want to go through everything else. While the reveals are 10 times more insane in the upcoming routes, I don't think it'll be worth your time since "It fucking sucked so far" as you put it haha.

Hey quick Q, figured friends here could help.

So I'm not much for PC gaming, just never really had a capable rig. But I recently got my wife a laptop with an i5 and a 940 graphics card. PUBG says it only requires an i3 and a 660.

Maybe it's obvious based on those stats alone, but PUBG should be able to run okay on an i5 and 940, right? Thanks.

So I'm not much for PC gaming, just never really had a capable rig. But I recently got my wife a laptop with an i5 and a 940 graphics card. PUBG says it only requires an i3 and a 660.

Maybe it's obvious based on those stats alone, but PUBG should be able to run okay on an i5 and 940, right? Thanks.

Check this

justjim89

But it's a work therefore it's funny!!!

I used to be Dan's biggest supporter, and in general I still like the guy. He and Jason ushered in my favorite era of Giant Bomb. But his shit is just so tired at this point. He could very easily use a bit more brainpower and articulate his points of contention better, but he never rises above "This sucks cause it's bad" or "This is great cause it's awesome."

Old Dan never really went away.

Curufinwe

The gameplay and writing isn't going to get better for you, so I would quit now.

A 940m or 940mx (you have one of the two) aren't as good as a 660, you'll be fine on the CPU side but you most likely need to get a better laptop or a desktop PC with a better GPU unfortunately. You could try buying it on Steam and messing around with the resolution and settings to see if it can run acceptably for you, as long as you play under 2 hours you'll be able to get a refund if your laptop isn't up to it.

It's hard to do a direct comparison between GPU's as laptop and desktop numbering is so different and comparing different generations along with the unreliability of system requirements makes it really hard to say how bad it will run, PC games are usually quite scalable so even if your on paper below the requirements you still might be able to run it at a acceptable framerate/resolution.

Morts

The first ten minutes of the second playthrough are interesting, then it's a fucking slog until the point where the two main characters are separated. Playthrough 3 is actually more of a Part 2, but the gameplay doesn't magically improve.

I played Dota casually for about a month before deciding its not for me. I never watched any Giant Bomb Dota content up until now with Thurs..Fri...whateverDota. Having Ben there as a coach is important both for Brad and the average viewer.

Rainmaker

Banned
Jeff whispering "The Gunpoint Rope-A-Dope" popped in my head. One of my favorite GOTY bits.

Anyway, I've been having the urge to play a Saints Row game again but all I have is a PS4 and a Switch right now. I like them all well enough (SR3 is my favorite) and I'm just trying to satisfy the itch. Would buying the PS4 version of SR4 be a Bad Call? I think I remember hearing it was shitty and I don't give a damn about Gat Out of Hell

Scizzy

I used to be Dan's biggest supporter, and in general I still like the guy. He and Jason ushered in my favorite era of Giant Bomb. But his shit is just so tired at this point. He could very easily use a bit more brainpower and articulate his points of contention better, but he never rises above "This sucks cause it's bad" or "This is great cause it's awesome."

Dan is great, but sometimes it would be better for Vinny to engage less and take the Brad route of just making a joke and moving on.

I've only played PUBG for 4 hours and I just got a second place finish and it's the closest a game has ever been to making me cry. I took out third, took some hits from the first player then spent 20 seconds strafing around a tree until I accepted my fate and went over the top (well, around the side)

Never again.

This tendency (tendancy?) was especially crushing while he was trying to, eh, "argue" in favour of Stardew Valley for GotY. It was basically a series of "but I like it a lot!" when it came to championing the game. The whole situation is especially baffling because Dan reviewed it and everything. I never read it, but surely his praise was more than a basic "its gud" analysis.

Like, I appreciate that he was fighting for it, cause I absolutely adore SDV, but it was a truly weak position against everyone else. The only benefit he had is that he was IIRC the only one that got into SDV and played it to any significant degree. The others, I feel, put it onto the list out of weariness rather than any actual merits the game had (of which there were many--though none mentioned by Dan). I know there was the whole Austin precedent the earlier year, but what he did was a stab to the heart vs. Dan's endless papercuts--Austin began and ended the discussion on his game, whereas Dan just wouldn't let his go.

Top Bottom