• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Aaron

Or even move on to 2.

Dan played the original quite a lot anyway, so he sholdn't be as spicy.
If he's last to play, the damage could already be done by then. XCOM is really really front loaded in difficulty. A good start makes a huge difference.

hamchan

Plenty of other turn based games for the Corps to tackle tbh, so don't mind if they just say they're done with XCom for now after wiping.

Also, I still don't get why Jeff's streams aren't on the site.

Maybe it has something to do with him very clearly playing pirated ROMs on video? (I'm not saying I blame him for it, I'm sure he has all or most of those games sitting in a box somewhere, just thinking from a CYA standpoint.)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The real bet is if they survive the first time they meet those hydralisk looking motherfuckers.

Or if they survive to meet them at all.

patapuf

Oh boy Exquisite Corps. They really should have made sure they understood the game more.

No, they shouldn't. They are playing on normal, if they understand the game, nobody will die.

I want people to die.

Edit: Oh, i'm late.

Oh well
, the base invasion
would have likely been the end anyway.

Telfo

I would be shocked if they got very far on the first attempt given the setup and their collective relative lack of XCOM experience

imBask

Banned
you guys are worrying me a bit, XCOM is one of those game where there is a correct way to play and people will get mad at them because they don't know

patapuf

Didn't Vinny play the first when they made it GOTY? He should more or less know what's going on at least. Alex too now that i think about it.

you guys are worrying me a bit, XCOM is one of those game where there is a correct way to play and people will get mad at them because they don't know

Nah, They'll learn quick. The game has a way of teaching you by killing your favorite people. Those lessons kind of stick.

Jintor

nooooooo it's more like they kind of don't know basic game mechanics.

to be fair the game doesn't really teach it to you in a nice easy comprehensible tutorial, and they were talking over the bit where it did teach you, so i get why

imBask

Banned
nooooooo it's more like they kind of don't know basic game mechanics.

to be fair the game doesn't really teach it to you in a nice easy comprehensible tutorial, and they were talking over the bit where it did teach you, so i get why

just wait for the backlash in the comments when Vinny will pick the wrong upgrade

We're going to hit the loop of :

- Haha it's funny they don't get (game mechanic)
- Ugh...I wish they'd get (game mechanic)
- WHAT THE FUCK THIS IS HOW YOU USE (game mechanic)

Then they learn that one thing, and we repeat the cycle with something different. :)

repeater

Wait.. there is a kind of game where people don't get mad at GB for not knowing how to play the game??

patapuf

Dude it's been like 5 years.

I don't expect him to be good at the game, or even remember much.

Just the mindset of being really scarred and inching your way forward.

I played through the game just last year and I don't even know what you're talking about.

When you get an alien from behind/the side they loose their cover bonus (and so do you if they do the same). It's shown with yellow/red symbols when you move.

Jintor

I played through the game just last year and I don't even know what you're talking about.

i was going to say it's pretty easy but then i realised i would have to draw a diagram to explain it so i guess it's not that easy

but to put it basically, if you have no cover between yourself and being shot, there's like a +30% chance to hit. Units can take cover from four sides, but most spaces are designed to only give cover from two at most. So if you can maneuver to be on a side where your target doesn't have cover, you get way more likely to hit the target.

Abby was continually putting her soldiers in places where they could very easily be flanked from a side

Antiwhippy

I don't expect him to be good at the game, or even remember much.

Just the mindset of being really scarred and inching your way forward.

I feel like that will still get you sooner or later lol.

Chryssalids feel like they are meant to specifically take advantage of that mindset.

jiggles

Banned
i was going to say it's pretty easy but then i realised i would have to draw a diagram to explain it so i guess it's not that easy

but to put it basically, if you have no cover between yourself and being shot, there's like a +30% chance to hit. Units can take cover from four sides, but most spaces are designed to only give cover from two at most. So if you can maneuver to be on a side where your target doesn't have cover, you get way more likely to hit the target.

Abby was continually putting her soldiers in places where they could very easily be flanked from a side

Ah, is that all? I thought you were referring to some special bonus system that completely eluded me or something. I mean, what you're describing is pretty much common sense (if someone is hiding behind a wall, you need to go around the wall to shoot them. true of any game with cover), and the visual cues (the yellow cover symbol) are obvious enough that something is changing for the worse, so anyone can pick this up without having to be lectured on it.

I got the impression that any "rookie errors" in Abby's play today were through not being totally warmed up to XCOM's strategies and planning yet, rather than not understanding how cover works.

Jintor

i hope so!

As someone largely unfamiliar with the game I thought Abby was doing pretty well while I watched it, lol.

i'm just grousing because i've played a buttload of xcom and it physically hurt to see some of those moves

rest assured i have watched enough ERs that I won't complain tooooooooooooooooooooooooo much about it

feel free to quote this in about two months

I hope they don't listen to anyone. I wan themt to play however they play, I want to see anarchy & chaos.

Likewise. I know it's impossible but it would be great if the only info on tactics they got was through the mistakes detailed in the other commanders reports.

Abby is too spicy in XCOM and I love it!

As someone largely unfamiliar with the game I thought Abby was doing pretty well while I watched it, lol.

XCOM has some really exploitable mechanics. A basic rule of thumb is that enemies won't be an issue until you have a visual on them, then they get a free movement turn to get to cover. You don't want anyone to dash before you have contact and you always want to have the party member that's moving furthest to move first so if you have contact the rest of your team can have their turns.

With that said it's way more fun if you don't know that.

She took a lot of unnecessary risks. Dashing for no reason, moving when an enemy is in overwatch, relocating soldiers so they're in sight of multiple enemies...

It's salvageable if the next player plays more conservatively.

Antiwhippy

You know, looking at the structure of Exquisite Corps now I think they could totally do one with state of decay.

The best thing about the XCOM feature is that they play separately so they can't even learn from each other.

Vinny mentioned on Blue Bombin' that Alex knew what happened in Abby's run. This initially made me think that the hand over happened at the end of each episode.
So Alex was either watching or they already have episode 2 in the can?

Hasney

You know, looking at the structure of Exquisite Corps now I think they could totally do one with state of decay.

Yeah but Civ next tho

Vinny mentioned on Blue Bombin' that Alex knew what happened in Abby's run. This initially made me think that the hand over happened at the end of each episode.
So Alex was either watching or they already have episode 2 in the can?

Because of the format, I assume they just record whenever Vinny and the next person have an hour to spare since they don't all need to be present.

imBask

Banned
It's actually incredible how Mario Galaxy hits the brake every 3-4 stars to force you to do a bad IR gimmck level

Even the main game from the main franchise couldn't manage to include non-shoehorned motion controls

2954940-vlcsnap-2017-08-04-17h37m05s216.jpg

Quick Look: Slime Rancher
How many Hen Hens does it take to make the Tabby Gordo burst? There's only one way to find out.
Jeff sounds completely different in this QL.

He had a cold.

Meneses

That was great.
(I was definitely triggered by the "tactics" used).

Giant Bomb |OT32|
Ellen got... cancelled

Top Bottom