• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Less

41tls1W.gif

More

w1uCJz4.gif

You know, looking at the structure of Exquisite Corps now I think they could totally do one with state of decay.

I think it's too easy, but the bigger problem is its weird real-time aspect. Supplies (maybe all of them? Not sure.) in State of Decay are used based on real world time passed, not in-game time, which means that playing a lot in short periods is easier than extended breaks as you're not constantly running out of stuff. In Breakdown as an endurance run-style thing it might work, but as a weekly feature there'd be a lot of downtime, and any events or extended breaks could doom them long-term.

It's a really strange design decision... nothing in the game hints that it is handled that way. I'll never understand it.

Hasney

It will be a lot of fun watching the next player read the tragic report at the start of each episode!

Since Vinny remembered where he installed the editing software (I KIIID), I'm kind of hoping we get a video highlights package of the last person with the dramatically reading their report over it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think it's too easy, but the bigger problem is its weird real-time aspect. Supplies (maybe all of them? Not sure.) in State of Decay are used based on real world time passed, not in-game time, which means that playing a lot in short periods is easier than extended breaks as you're not constantly running out of stuff. In Breakdown as an endurance run-style thing it might work, but as a weekly feature there'd be a lot of downtime, and any events or extended breaks could doom them long-term.

It's a really strange design decision... nothing in the game hints that it is handled that way. I'll never understand it.

Man, it's been awhile but I don't remember that at all, but then again I don't think I've played it 1 time a week like the beastcrew does.

Since Vinny remembered where he installed the editing software (I KIIID), I'm kind of hoping we get a video highlights package of the last person with the dramatically reading their report over it.

Man, that would be great. Reminds me of the Kerbal video recaps.

I hope they move on to XCOM 2 if their EW playthrough fails, especially given that the storyline of XCOM 2 is that the player basically failed the previous game.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown was also my GOTY 2012 but like a lot of the guys I didn't jump right back onboard with XCOM 2, partially because I didn't have a computer that could run it well. Been slowly working my way through my first playthrough (Ironman or bust) on PS4 and having a blast, love that 90% of the enemy types are new, it's always fun/horrifying to see a new unit for the first time and what they're going to do.

I just realised that the Exquisite Commander is Trined.

Trine 4: This time it's War!
oh yeah we're not gonna get any shouts of VINNY in this series huh

The truth hurts...

At least it has some fancy editing! I forgot how much I missed that since Kerbal.
It's possible if Vinny's character shoots a rocket that veers off target and kills another player.

That, and overwatch not getting cancelled when shot, are two things I completely forgot about until this series refreshed me.

...I fear for the Exquisite Corps' future.

LiK

Horizon DLC announced for Nov 7. This is gonna bring back the Horizon convo on the Bombcast. Looking forward to it.

Oh nooo this Xcom run might break me. It's fun but also makes me want to yell at my monitor sometimes. Hopefully the rest plays somewhat more... tactically than Abby or this might be short-lived.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Thing is I feel like you can play tactically even as a beginner but the game also likes to throw you "fuck you" scenarios.

Also man slime rancher seems waaaaaaaay bigger than I expected.

Hasney

I swear with Enemy Within as well, they uooed the accuracy of aliens on the early missions almost to say "Its not just the tutorial, people are going to die"

Meneses

Oh nooo this Xcom run might break me. It's fun but also makes me want to yell at my monitor sometimes. Hopefully the rest plays somewhat more... tactically than Abby or this might be short-lived.

Yeah.

Man Xcom is so good.

I think i'm gonna grab my Vita and start a new playthrough.

soundtest

Banned
#content !

I enjoyed what I could play of that first X-COM but it ran so poorly on PS3 I gave up on it.

i played it completely on the ps3 and the only issues i had with it were load times. otherwise, it was a turned based strategy rpg, i dont need all dem framez to have a good time.

Hell, i had more issues with xcom on the PC, where playing it at any resolution past 1080p would lead to memory leaks and crashes. I couldnt even see the ending because of my resolution, it would always insta crash. Had to drop it.

LiK

The XCOM games always had optimization issues and were sooo buggy on PC even after multiple patches. I couldn't imagine playing them on consoles where they would probably run worse.

Hasney

The XCOM games always had optimization issues and were sooo buggy on PC even after multiple patches. I couldn't imagine playing them on consoles where they would probably run worse.

The first one was perfect day 1 performance wise, even playing on a laptop with some low end shit in it. Just googled and there were occasional start-up crashes for some people, but nothing serious.

XCOM2 was a bit of a mess. No idea if they ever fixed it up, but I have an urge to find out tonight.

Exquisite Corps is great stuff! and god I can't wait to have more Horizon to play

I really should get back into Horizon, shove it on easy and see if it picks up for me. Hating the combat and the stealth and since the file size is so big, it's next on the chopping block next time I need the space.

Wunder

im hoping exquisite corps is at least biweekly, not sure 45 minutes once a week with the commanders rotating would be enough #content for me

Yeah XCOM 2 is one of the most fucked major PC games I've ever played. Inexcusable and inexplicably bad performance issues and glitches all over the shop. The final mission was practically a slideshow, it generally got worse the deeper into the game I got. I hope it's fixed because Iwould like to play the expansion when it's out.

The most important thing that X-com 2 added was the UI target indicator that appeared if your mouse cursor was in line of sight of an enemy. So you could know ahead of time if moving to a spot guaranteed line of sight.

That shit was invaluable. Does Within have that "fix"?

Meneses

im hoping exquisite corps is at least biweekly, not sure 45 minutes once a week with the commanders rotating would be enough #content for me

I always assumed it would be 1 go around of each commander per week (like, monday, wednesday and friday or something similar).

If it's just one per week than that's no good.

daveo42

Banned
Never played XCOM but it looks like something that could get super complicated super quick and very easy to lose if you aren't paying attention. I actually debated on picking it up after the prologue. Format for the show seems great. I'm surprised it took them so long to get it up and running.

My guess was a lack of a dedicated 4th member of the crew at East.

Horizon DLC announced for Nov 7. This is gonna bring back the Horizon convo on the Bombcast. Looking forward to it.

That's about the perfect time for me, even though I expected it to drop sometime much sooner.

It's probably limited to the amount of time East has to do individual sit-downs with Vinny. Based on all the stuff they pump out during the week and only have that single space for podcasting and video production, they are probably close to capacity the schedule.

oti

Banned
Yeah XCOM 2 is one of the most fucked major PC games I've ever played. Inexcusable and inexplicably bad performance issues and glitches all over the shop. The final mission was practically a slideshow, it generally got worse the deeper into the game I got. I hope it's fixed because Iwould like to play the expansion when it's out.

Didn't they also not release the game on consoles for quite some time to get the PC version "right" first?

That worked out.

This is the first Giant Bomb playthrough I'm watching where I've actually played the game before myself. I now know how people feel..

Top Bottom