• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Hasney

Put me into the timer being a great addition to XCOM2. Maybe only put it above normal or something though.

I'm gonna go play XCOM 2... Any minute. I got sucked into watching UMAD videos again.

Strax

No changes to the timers.

They are easy to mod out though. Like, a click of a mouse button in the workshop easy.

there are plenty of workshop mods that do that.

I don't understand why people hate the timer though. It adds a lot of tension and forces you to be aggressive/ use different tools

I'm on a PS4 so.

I play XCOM with podcasts and taking my time. I have zero interest in the game while I can't play it without the timer.

oti

Banned
I look forward to GOTY when they say they didn't have time for games but spent an insane amount of time in PUBG.
I'm curious how this will go from now on. Surely PUBG will get more updates so they'd want to play more of it but the big names are close to release.
How dare they play like 100h of the game they enjoy playing
You act as if asking a video game outlet to play more than 1 video game is something ridiculous.
My cousin discovered his old Gamecube still works.

Super Mario Sunshine, here I come.
That's great! Now I'm kinda jealous.

I played XCOM 2 pretty much the same way as the first game, which is relatively cautiously, and I never once had timer problems. I think I only made it all the way to the last possible turn once. idk how y'all play if the timer seriously impeded your progress. And I pretty much never dash if I can help it, and I always overwatch at least some members of the squad whenever anyone moves up past them. So I think the timer was fine, in that if you play so cautiously that it really got in the way, you were being TOO cautious.

I didn't really care for some of the added stress factors in the metagame, though. That shit got a little too intense.

imBask

Banned
You act as if asking a video game outlet to play more than 1 video game is something ridiculous.

And you act as if they skip a billion games every year because of games they like

I honestly think they are super reasonable on that front and always come prepare at the GOTY talk

except for that one wikipedia time

BearPawB

Banned
I'm on a PS4 so.

I play XCOM with podcasts and taking my time. I have zero interest in the game while I can't play it without the timer.

I mean, it is a turn timer..not like a speed timer.

You can take all the time you want to make your moves

this thread:

CPm9fAH.png

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
i hope they dont continue the KH series. that would be hilarious. ill give them another 50 bucks and add a fifth year to my sub.

JosiahPasquale

Neo Member
I care little about this feature and less about KH, but messing with the audience's expectations is a shitty move, in light of West's lack of feature planning and Ben's newbie status.

Brad's lack of playing, like, anything, has me questioning whether he still enjoy his job, or games, much anymore. They talk about Tacoma and Pyre and these are both relatively short games, like you could've knocked out Tacoma in 2-3 hours if you wanted to. The host of the podcast should probably play some games every now and then.

Hey, dude! A lot of work/life things have been taking up my time, so playing all the games I want has been tough. I am juggling Persona 5 (45 hours in), Pyre, PUBG, and Overwatch, but my hours have been limited lately. I'll be sure to catch up once it's GOTY season for my show, but I have played quite a bit this year!

Zaph

Take:
The timer makes XCOM 2 way more exciting to play since the "run to full cover and overwatch with everyone" strategy holds no power.

Yup. I love it when sequels continue from the "bad" ending, and XCOM 2 not only took that for the plot, but went one step further and applied it to the mechanics. If you're fighting as a resistance, using guerilla warfare tactics, allowing the player to be overly cautions would go against the spirit of the game.

Damn, XCOM2 was such a good sequel. Can't wait for the expansion.

i hope they dont continue the KH series. that would be hilarious. ill give them another 50 bucks and add a fifth year to my sub.

Can we do that? Like, Anti-Patreon, where we kick them extra cash to not do things to upset the rest of the GB-Fandom?

If so, I have some spare cash and some people to piss off, haha.

Hey, dude! A lot of work/life things have been taking up my time, so playing all the games I want has been tough. I am juggling Persona 5 (45 hours in), Pyre, PUBG, and Overwatch, but my hours have been limited lately. I'll be sure to catch up once it's GOTY season for my show, but I have played quite a bit this year!

I took "host of the podcast" to mean Brad not playing new games, not you. No need to defend yourself.

wenis

Can we do that? Like, Anti-Patreon, where we kick them extra cash to not do things to upset the rest of the GB-Fandom?

If so, I have some spare cash and some people to piss off, haha.

I like to think when I bought four years of sub during that last sale I was doing it in honor of Jeff and the Wikipedia link.

Exquisite corps is ok. Not loving it much as you all seem to but I think it'll be fun. Probably because I'm not into XCOM much at all

Brad on what his favorite content is

B: I miss alot of the edited videos that we do or that we used to do. I mean, it's easy for me to say that because I wasn't doing the editing and production at the time. That was largely people like Vinny & Drew, slaving over a hot premier timeline for 2-3 days at a time. I watched our old iphone app commercial over the weekend, like we used to do stuff like that more. That was at a time when there was just a demand for less volume, you know?

Like, there was just less of a demand for total hours of video put out every week. So, we were able to put alot more time into individual videos and I think we came up with some pretty cool stuff back then. But, like it's just, especially the way we are split between two offices now, it's really hard to say like "ok this video prodcuer is going to go dark for 2 days and work on one 5 minute video" that's probably going to get the same amount of traffic as any random QL that we recorded for an hour.

J: Abby mentioned that she hoped to do more of those kinds of videos. Is there hope to do more of that like is it on the horizon? or is it just better to just stick to the QLs and stuff you could do immediately?

B: Yeah, I think we're getting back to that point as we have brought some people back on that we could spare somebody for long enough to do something like that.

Exquisite corps is ok. Not loving it much as you all seem to but I think it'll be fun. Probably because I'm not into XCOM much at all

The first episode being "tutorial" didn't help a lot either. I'm giving it another week or two before passing judgment and deciding if I'm watching the whole series or not.

LiK

Brad on what his favorite content is

B: I miss alot of the edited videos that we do or that we used to do. I mean, it's easy for me to say that because I wasn't doing the editing and production at the time. That was largely people like Vinny & Drew, slaving over a hot premier timeline for 2-3 days at a time. I watched our old iphone app commercial over the weekend, like we used to do stuff like that more. That was at a time when there was just a demand for less volume, you know?

Like, there was just less of a demand for total hours of video put out every week. So, we were able to put alot more time into individual videos and I think we came up with some pretty cool stuff back then. But, like it's just, especially the way we are split between two offices now, it's really hard to say like "ok this video prodcuer is going to go dark for 2 days and work on one 5 minute video" that's probably going to get the same amount of traffic as any random QL that we recorded for an hour.

J: Abby mentioned that she hoped to do more of those kinds of videos. Is there hope to do more of that like is it on the horizon? or is it just better to just stick to the QLs and stuff you could do immediately?

B: Yeah, I think we're getting back to that point as we have brought some people back on that we could spare somebody for long enough to do something like that.

I'm curious what type of edited videos we could expect from them.

wenis

Yay more murder! I was getting worried we wouldn't see it in the upcoming list.

I played XCOM 2 pretty much the same way as the first game, which is relatively cautiously, and I never once had timer problems. I think I only made it all the way to the last possible turn once. idk how y'all play if the timer seriously impeded your progress. And I pretty much never dash if I can help it, and I always overwatch at least some members of the squad whenever anyone moves up past them. So I think the timer was fine, in that if you play so cautiously that it really got in the way, you were being TOO cautious.

I didn't really care for some of the added stress factors in the metagame, though. That shit got a little too intense.

I had PTSD of failing my first X-COM 1 run halfway through because I didn't have enough satellites, so in X-COM 2 I consciously made an effort to focus on those, and I had no problem with the radar metagame at all.

P.S. Fuuuuu X-COM 2 is so good. Can't wait for the Xpac.

imBask

Banned
don't wanna break your hearts but the GB crew is never going to win a game of PUBG

I love them, I love the videos, but they won't

Top Bottom