• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Wunder

The Xcom 2 expansion is great. the new content fits in neatly and gives much more personality to the aliens and the humans.

I just wonder how long the campaign is going to be with all that stuff.

Vanilla XCOM 2 already felt pretty long for me, but maybe that's because I was stalling a bit. With the added mission types like Rescue/Ambush, it should change up the pace enough so that it feels varied while also increasing play time. I'm also spending more time in the meta game trying to decide what to do with my 500 different options. Liking the game quite a bit so far, the bond/training stuff has been my favorite addition

chogidogs

I just got done with the first big Boss on Kiwami. Yeah, don't make Dan play this. He'll just shit on this game so early on in the process.

would you

would you really

I mean they have 'Her story' in that list and that has nonexistent gameplay, so obviously their standards aren't rigidly set towards the gameplay of a video game.

it's a bad list.
YES, YES I WOULD REALLY

I mean I'd also play Rising at any opportunity, but that's not an MGS.

Hasney

I'd easily rather play MGS V over the others. Game is just so goddamn good to cruise around and abduct people and I really do adore the other MGS games. V just plays on another level.

oti

Banned
I'd easily rather play MGS V over the others. Game is just so goddamn good to cruise around and abduct people and I really do adore the other MGS games. V just plays on another level.
I appreciate MGS V as basically the perfect toolkit for an open world action/stealth game. But my god was I bored playing it.

Except they don't care about how influential the games are:

I can't help but call bullshit on that one. If they didn't care about how influential or historically relevant the games are, why is Tetris-ass Tetris on the list instead of something like Tetris DS? What could they possibly say to justify the presence of the original Bomberman, which doesn't even have multiplayer?

I don't normally care too much about the minutia of top 100 lists that aren't my own, but if you think about some of the entries for two seconds, you realize they don't belong.

Catvoca

Banned
that list is a bad list because it lists MGSV but no other MGS game which were more influential

I can safely say

That list is shit and wrong.

The list is explicitly about the best games to play now with very little significance placed on historical significance.

It's still got some garbage on there though.

You monster.
Well MGS1 is still really good, but V is just so much more fun to mess around in. Then you have 2 which has added systems that mostly just work on the first game's framework but slow things down considerably with body moving and clumsy first person aim stuff. Most of the game being comprised of moving through Big Shell's simplistic hexagonal geometry isn't something I want to go back to either. MGS3 is alright, but again, it's very clumsy and overwrought with systems and mechanics; all the menu dicking, needing to use the d-pad just to sneak, the analog CQC stuff, can't go back to it. MGS4 stops being a game after the first two acts. Peace Walker is just a significantly worse version of V tailored for co-op and I couldn't get myself to finish it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well MGS1 is still really good, but V is just so much more fun to mess around in. Then you have 2 which has added systems that mostly just work on the first game's framework but slow things down considerably with body moving and clumsy first person aim stuff. Most of the game being comprised of moving through Big Shell's simplistic hexagonal geometry isn't something I want to go back to either. MGS3 is alright, but again, it's very clumsy and overwrought with systems and mechanics; all the menu dicking, needing to use the d-pad just to sneak, the analog CQC stuff, can't go back to it. MGS4 stops being a game after the first two acts. Peace Walker is just a significantly worse version of V tailored for co-op and I couldn't get myself to finish it.

But 2 actually has a story that I care about.

oti

Banned

Oh wait, I misread. I though you meant MGS V oder any other game in 2017.

But 2 actually has a story that I care about.
I just can't get past those cutscenes after a first watch through. Instant skip every replay. Haven't seen any of MGS2's since 2001 but it did absolutely blow my 14 year old mind at the time.

Oh wait, I misread. I though you meant MGS V oder any other game in 2017.
Oh, haha. Yeah I'd definitely be a monster then. Prey is just too good, and I just got a Switch so I need to set aside some 200 hours to see what this Breath of the Wild is all about.

Antiwhippy

That's the thing really, do I care more about having a fun system to mess around in for a metal gear game, or do I care more about the story? Story for me, but I can see people's point in V in a purely gameplay sense.

Except they don't care about how influential the games are:

(I'd rather play 2 or 3, but I don't work at Edge)

THEN HOW DID HER STORY MAKE IT

IT'S A CLICHE STORY
IT HAS NO GAMEPLAY
WHAT MERITS DOES IT HAVE
NONE AT ALL

They can't say they based the list on gameplay
They can't say they based the list on influence
They can't say they based the list on any metrics

It's a shit list

Atleast the Stanley Parable has some gameplay that doesn't involve watching FMVs

the battlegrounds mode in GTAO could be cool if they flesh it out even more
https://youtu.be/htpSvDdE4cw?t=931

they should remove the aspect of being able to see where the enemy teams are

But I guess with what..30ish people it's necessary?

oti

Banned

IT'S A CLICHE STORY
IT HAS NO GAMEPLAY
WHAT MERITS DOES IT HAVE
NONE AT ALL

It's a shit list

Atleast the Stanley Parable has some gameplay that doesn't involve watching FMVs

BOTW is #1 and Mario Galaxy higher than many other shittier games (still too low though).

List not shit confirmed.

Antiwhippy

See if only they would release a podcast where they discussed about how the list is made, then nobody would have any reason to complain about their selection and be completely fine with it.

I can't help but call bullshit on that one. If they didn't care about how influential or historically relevant the games are, why is Tetris-ass Tetris on the list instead of something like Tetris DS? What could they possibly say to justify the presence of the original Bomberman, which doesn't even have multiplayer?

I don't normally care too much about the minutia of top 100 lists that aren't my own, but if you think about some of the entries for two seconds, you realize they don't belong.

True, it is a bit weird in that sense. They do have Pac-Man CE and not the original Pac-Man, so clearly they're not opposed to including an "improved" version. It would be interesting to read the entire thing, but I can't find it as a digital/ereader version so I doubt I will.

IT'S A CLICHE STORY
IT HAS NO GAMEPLAY
WHAT MERITS DOES IT HAVE
NONE AT ALL

Because the staff at Edge think it's a good video game?

And I agree.

Of course it's not based on a singular metric, that would be silly.

Antiwhippy

I've kinda soured on the Batman games but i still do appreciate how tight asylum was compared to the rest of the series.

Puyo Puyo and Bomberman are the games on that list that come closest to being made literally obsolete by their successors.

And then you have literal Shit like MGSV that makes it on the list over MGS1 or MGS2 which mastered storytelling in video games.

The list is inconsistent and bad. My crap would have a better selection of games than that list.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Please stay tuned for my best 101 games of all time list, which will consist entirely of 90's cRPGs and obscure eastern european games you casuals have never heard of.

Hasney

And then you have literal Shit like MGSV that makes it on the list over MGS1 or MGS2 which mastered storytelling in video games.

The list is inconsistent and bad. My crap would have a better selection of games than that list.

You must really be into scat to call the best MGS literal shit. Let it rain down on you, brother.

Puyo Puyo and Bomberman are the games on that list that come closest to being made literally obsolete by their successors.

Ah, thought it was shade on the game as a whole. Puyo Puyo didn't really change all that much and I can see people preferring the simplicity of the original Bomberman over some of the crazier powerup and dinosaur shit we got. Tetris over Tetris DS I can't see though.

Then again, without seeing the write ups on some of these entries, we're kind of guessing.

Hasney

V is the only mgs dan doesn't consider a masterpiece.

DAN.

Easily making it the most masterpiece, going against Dan. He doesn't even like Yakuza.

I'd go so far as to call it the Chris Masters of gaming
a pre-emptive shut up to Piston Hyundai for his response to this statement.

klonere

Banned
uuhhhh massively overindulgent exposition dumps that break up gameplay for 10+ minutes at a time is not "mastering storytelling" in video games

and I say that with MGS2 as probably my favorite video game ever?

Top Bottom