• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

uuhhhh massively overindulgent exposition dumps that break up gameplay for 10+ minutes at a time is not "mastering storytelling" in video games

and I say that with MGS2 as probably my favorite video game ever?

AND YET IT HAS MORE GAMEPLAY THAN HER STORY
AND MORE EXPOSITION

inconsistent lisssst

Catvoca

Banned
AND MORE EXPOSITION

inconsistent lisssst

Ah yes, I wish Her Story had an hour of mediocre stealth in between each cutscene and then those cutscenes were filled with exposition.

The games are doing very different things and I don't know why you have such a chip on your shoulder about Her Story, a fairly inoffensive narrative game.

(The list is bad and I'm not defending it though)

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
AND MORE EXPOSITION

inconsistent lisssst

All you need to know about that list is that Tearaway is on it.
Listen.
Listen.
Tearaway is a really cool game, enjoyed it very much on the Vita

But Top 100 games?
Don't make me laugh.

Wunder

Ah yes, I wish Her Story had an hour of mediocre stealth in between each cutscene and then those cutscenes were filled with exposition.

The games are doing very different things and I don't know why you have such a chip on your shoulder about Her Story, a fairly inoffensive narrative game.

he's the dead twin sister
or something

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Though seriously, at some point isn't a top 100 so diluted that it really doesn't matter other than say the top20?

I can't even name 100 games that I've played.

MGS2s story actually has something to say though.

All you need to know about that list is that Tearaway is on it.
Listen.
Listen.
Tearaway is a really cool game, enjoyed it very much on the Vita

But Top 100 games?
Don't make me laugh.

true

I picked her story because it's low enough that literally any other game can replace it. Like Dead Rising.

- J - D -

MGS2 in 2001 predicted that memes would take over the world and dictate the ebb and flow of humanity's most integral social structures, i.e. politics, information, relationships, entertainment, consumerism, the internet, etc.

You look at the trainwreck that has been this past year and it becomes even more important.

On the other hand, MGSV plays well.

So...

Fantastapotamus

Though seriously, at some point isn't a top 100 so diluted that it really doesn't matter other than say the top20?

I can't even name 100 games that I've played.

Don't tell anyone but

actually, none of it matters.

I do wonder if there is some psychological explanation why we as humans love to talk about lists so much.

Hasney

MGS2 in 2001 predicted that memes would take over the world and dictate the ebb and flow of humanity's most integral social structures, i.e. politics, information, relationships, entertainment, consumerism, the internet, etc.

You look at the trainwreck that has been this past year and it becomes even more important.

So...

It also has a horse.

MGS V 2-1 MGS 2

The Edge list is funny because they preface it with a rule set outlining no sequels and no nostalgia picks... then adds sequels and games they were nostalgic for.

Say what you will about the Giant Bomb process, at least they have the integrity to admit their collusion.

klonere

Banned

So...

it also pointed to the rise of gated digital communities causing great divisions in society, the overwhelming amount of available information rendering most numb to information instead relying on emotional reactionism and social media bots/astroturfing.

i mean it's all a great big synthesis of big communications theorists and theories but to be presented as it was in a video game was pretty special. Every time I replay that game I'm always amazed it got made and always pick up on something I missed.

Whereas MGSV felt very Ubisoft feature box ticking with a dead open world, a failure of a story from every possible angle and I never finished it because it's a bad video game. Even if it is very smooth to play.

MGS2, much better than MGSV!

- J - D -

it also pointed to the rise of gated digital communities causing great divisions in society, the overwhelming amount of available information rendering most numb to information instead relying on emotional reactionism and social media bots/astroturfing.

i mean it's all a great big synthesis of big communications theorists and theories but to be presented as it was in a video game was pretty special. Every time I replay that game I'm always amazed it got made and always pick up on something I missed.

Whereas MGSV felt very Ubisoft feature box ticking with a dead open world, a failure of a story from every possible angle and I never finished it because it's a bad video game. Even if it is very smooth to play.

Word.

Also, any praise given to MGSV directly/indirectly rewards Konami and they are a garbage company.

Am I really reading criticism of a list being inconsistent and arbitrary from fans of giantbomb.com?

Yes. Really, it's a warm up for the coming festivities.

I shot a rocket propelled prosthetic fist into child Liquid Snake's face while listening to Kids in America, your argument is invalid.

Ah, thought it was shade on the game as a whole. Puyo Puyo didn't really change all that much and I can see people preferring the simplicity of the original Bomberman over some of the crazier powerup and dinosaur shit we got. Tetris over Tetris DS I can't see though.

The ability to fight off oncoming garbage puyos with your own combos wasn't introduced until Puyo Puyo Tsu, and that alone is enough of a game-changer for it to be a "Street Fighter to Street Fighter II" gulf in quality.

Am I really reading criticism of a list being inconsistent and arbitrary from fans of giantbomb.com?

I mean, they set up guidelines only to seemingly break them (with the prime examples being two series I love), so

oti

Banned

200w.gif

Fantastapotamus

I played the Destiny 2 Beta and as somebody who has never played Destiny 1 the game really does a great job bringing me into it's world by just hurling characters and words at me without any attempt at explanation.

"Your light is mine now" *said in deep meaningful voice while the music swells*
what
what's that supposed to mean
What light
I had light?

Also after hearing how "amazing" the shooting feels for years....I dunno, feels like an FPS to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

stop falling for cheap nostalgia!!!!

If prescient commentary is your thing check out what Kojima had to say about the Counter-Strike skin scandal before it even happened.

KOJIMA IS A PROPHET

I played the Destiny 2 Beta and as somebody who has never played Destiny 1 the game really does a great job bringing me into it's world by just hurling characters and words at me without any attempt at explanation.

what
What light
I had light?

Also after hearing how "amazing" the shooting feels for years....I dunno, feels like an FPS to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The only bit of the original Destiny I've played was the beta, so even with that little bit of experience I got to appreciate the location the start of the Destiny 2 beta puts you in hah. Though I still skipped all the cutscenes after the first few moments of the first, I just could not take overly serious generic dude and Nathan Fillion quipping all under a lot of incoherent happenings on. And the guy at the end is about as bland as they get as far as big bad guys go. Still, I find the shooting fun, but this beta is pretty bare to the first game's, but I see myself putting a lot of time into it.

oti

Banned

what
What light
I had light?

The feedback of the shooting is pretty great. You can tell it's Bungie. Headhsots are super rewarding.

The rest is just a garbage story and tons of loot. You know some people just get addicted to this stuff every single time. That's all there is to this, other than the raids.

bomma_man

The ability to fight off oncoming garbage puyos with your own combos wasn't introduced until Puyo Puyo Tsu, and that alone is enough of a game-changer for it to be a "Street Fighter to Street Fighter II" gulf in quality.

I mean, they set up guidelines only to seemingly break them (with the prime examples being two series I love), so

Iirc, in the last of these lists I read (2007? Fuck) those series were treated as one without specifying one entry, I guess because despite the changes you mention they're strictly iterative. Kinda dumb still, but maybe not as bad?

klonere

Banned

what
What light
I had light?

Yeah it really felt like it was playing hard to Destiny 1 players. I assume that's who they figured would be the biggest contingent in the beta. I hope they do a better job of getting Destiny newcomers on board with the full game, especially with it releasing on a platform where you can't play the original.

Like, I've heard that Destiny has some really cool lore buried in it, somewhere but boy oh boy does it do a terrible job of displaying any of it in this beta. I suppose that's not the point.

The shooting does feel good to me! Although I'm mostly coming from Overwatch and Titanfall 2.

I'm confused by what tone they're going for with Destiny. Like my robot and Nathan Fillion are making snarky jokes but Lance Reddick and some woman are super serious a few seconds later.

what
What light
I had light?

Considering you posted this now I assume you played it on PC. As someone who only played Destiny for the first time this year I'd say Bungie have really nailed the gamepad shooting experience, but I don't know if that directly translates to M+KB. I haven't had the chance to try the PC demo yet.
Yeah

with a free range mode that skips the irritating story

fuck it I should redownload B2 and have that be my poddy game.
Yeah they should really do something like Diablo 3's adventure mode. In fact any loot game should do that.

Fantastapotamus

The feedback of the shooting is pretty great. You can tell it's Bungie. Headhsots are super rewarding.

Considering you posted this now I assume you played it on PC. As someone who only played Destiny for the first time this year I'd say Bungie have really nailed the gamepad shooting experience, but I don't know if that directly translates to M+KB. I haven't had the chance to try the PC demo yet.

I think the shooting does feel good but not significantly better than a lot of other FPS I've played. I think I might buy this game if I can trick some friends into buying it as well, it doesn't seem like it'll be a great singleplayer game

I think the shooting does feel good but not significantly better than a lot of other FPS I've played. I think I might buy this game if I can trick some friends into buying it as well, it doesn't seem like it'll be a great singleplayer game

The worst part is they've made it less singleplayer friendly

IE one of the activities was called "Nightfall". This activity doesn't have matchmaking, and it was a super hard experience meant to bring you and your friends together to accomplish it. Basically, it was a super hard dungeon and if you died, it booted you back to orbit

(Imagine doing a Diablo rift, but when you died it kicked you out to the character select menu).

BUT, it was soloable. It required a high enough level to not get one shot, and intelligent planning as well as stocking up on resources(Mainly ammo replenishes). With enough perseverance, you could realistically solo a Nightfall without triggering the lose condition, that is dying.

It was a challenge of knowing how the enemy AI functions, of positioning, of bringing the right gear. The majority of the time, there was an elemental buff set to the stage-IE Fire damage does 5x more damage. Except this wasn't exclusive to the player, the enemies who did fire damage gained the buff as well. Alot of times they would arrange it so a dungeon that was say, Fire heavy, had a heavy amount of fire enemies.

It was a thrilling, magnificent challenge to do a nightfall like that.

The point is, they've made it worse because they've added time limits to Nightfalls. Making it impossible to solo because these solo challenges would take alot of time to surgically go through a strike.

Meguro

Banned
Borderlands 2 ruined Borderlands, fight me.
All the weapons are awful to use in 2 for some reason.

My copy of Mario Rabbids still hasn't gotten here and I wish it would show up already.

Fantastapotamus

I put 60 hours into Borderlands 2 and all I remember is running around from one point to another to complete quests and never having a gun I actually really liked.
Oh, and Tiny Tina

Top Bottom