• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Tagyhag

Yeah Drew's video was great. Dude's living the life. Can't wait to see more!

(And he still hasn't beat FF6) :p

Edit: Also, the freaking ferris wheel in Pripyat still works? That's mindblowing. I don't know if I'd have the guts to get on it.

TraBuch

Banned
Seriously though, how many YouTube channels where the main gimmick is people playing poorly and getting angry have died over the years?

I feel like we're at a point in society where people are more interested in someone that knows what they're doing or gradually improves.

Gotta be honest

The Exquisite Corps hasnt grabbed me at all. I am not sure what its missing.

The only issue I see with that (and to an extent SMS), is that when you're coming into a brand new game, you need actual hands-on time to learn how to play it.

The first SMS or two were rough because they were all learning mechanics and failing constantly, but they had time to progress and get better (and make the vids more watchable in my opinion).

XCom is way less forgiving than Mario in regards to that, and I feel like none of them are going to have enough time to process how the game works and make it a decent series, at least with any sort of rapid progression.

Seriously though, how many YouTube channels where the main gimmick is people playing poorly and getting angry have died over the years?

I feel like we're at a point in society where people are more interested in someone that knows what they're doing or gradually improves.

I feel like it's a toss up. I have just as many "popular" videos where I was really good at something as I do when I actually got irritated and like punched my desk. As a general statement, I try to play well and look good though, haha.

Hasney

Not really. Most of the good playing streamers are so boring, I'd rather watch a fuck up and have some laughs. If I want to watch someone good at something, I'd rather practice and get good myself.

Gotta be honest

I'm feeling the same way, I'm thinking the fact that Dan screwed everyone and tried to save himself soured it for me. Being shitty to your teammates isn't funny or enjoyable to watch. But that's not completely it, XCOM always seemed a bit boring to me, I lost interesting in the game when it came out like 5 hours into it.

derFeef

Gotta be honest

Same. It's only once a week and somehow disconnected because of that? It's lacking the interaction between all of them. Vinny also seems somehow superfluous? Maybe it's the wrong game for the feature.

I'm feeling the same way, I'm thinking the fact that Dan screwed everyone and tried to save himself soured it for me. Being shitty to your teammates isn't funny or enjoyable to watch. But that's not completely it, XCOM always seemed a bit boring to me, I lost interesting in the game when it came out like 5 hours into it.

While I love the series and generally think Dan and his "character" are great, Dan's episode was a real bummer. I don't know, I wanted to see them succeed, and he did not help with that at all. I feel like he didn't "play for real" as my 5 year old self would say.

TraBuch

Banned
Same. It's only once a week and somehow disconnected because of that? It's lacking the interaction between all of them. Vinny also seems somehow superfluous? Maybe it's the wrong game for the feature.
What you're saying is the feature should be them playing Valkyria Chronicles instead. I'm with you.

LiK

Gotta be honest

I liked the premise but I have to say that the actual way it's going isn't as great as I imagined. I was hoping they were each taking a turn with their own character and when people died, they were done.

Why does everyone keep saying Dan is playing a character?... he is not. He is just being himself. He is a selfish game player, one who only looks out for himself this has been shown throughout the years here and at Game Informer. He might be hamming it up a bit in front of the camera, but he isn't a character. No one else on Giant Bomb has or does that, he isn't the exception, that isn't what Giant Bomb is.

Meguro

Banned
Dan has basically confirmed that part of what he does on Giantbomb and on twitter is playing a character.
Shit, the current OT title is the very moment he admitted it on the Beastcast.

- J - D -

TEC has been downgraded to background noise for me (UPF-tier). It's not engaging enough to watch with full attention.

It's also predictable. How they play is predictable, so the results are predictable. Dan's heel persona is also very predictable.

Why does everyone keep saying Dan is playing a character?... he is not. He is just being himself. He is a selfish game player, one who only looks out for himself this has been shown throughout the years here and at Game Informer. He might be hamming it up a bit in front of the camera, but he isn't a character. No one else on Giant Bomb has or does that, he isn't the exception, that isn't what Giant Bomb is.

Dan DOES have a character that is a hyper exaggerated version of his regular self, and he does fall into it sometimes, but he's also legit one of the worst people to ever play xcom, according to the GI GOTY video about it.

TraBuch

Banned
Dan has basically confirmed that part of what he does on Giantbomb and on twitter is playing a character.
Shit, the current OT title is the very moment he admitted it on the Beastcast.
I don't think that's really true tbh. From things he's said in the past, he seems like a troll in real life, too. A nice guy, but someone who loves to fuck with people and thinks it's hilarious. Like the time he pranked those dudes on okcupid and brought a bunch of them to one location at the same time all thinking they were gonna meet a girl and stayed near them to laugh at them. Or that time he let off a stink bomb in a bar. Or when he video taped people stepping on dog shit. Or the Pringle can thing.

There's zero doubt in my mind that if Dan wasn't into games or was younger, he'd be one of those prankers on YouTube that everybody fucking hates.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Gotta be honest

I like the idea, the format not so much.
I think it would be a more interesting feature if they abandon the "one person at a time" thing and rather try to get through it as a team.

I was actually going to wait until I finished my current playthrough but ehhhh let's just say "events transpired"

I had to choose between War of the Chosen and Rabbids. And only one of them is going to get cheaper after some time.

That's OK, those of us with souls will be having too much fun to notice.

I mean, look at this elephant. What if you didn't give the game money and this cute elephant starved to death via not getting another game?

LOOK AT THE ELEPHANT

I supported a badass elephant once before and it was mediocre and kinda boring. Not falling for it again

YOU'VE ALL HELD ME BACK LONG ENOUGH

I'M BUYING WAR OF THE CHOSEN

It's kinda fucked up hard and the metagame is even more anxiety-inducing than before. All the new gameplay stuff is very interesting though. I just wish the metagame didn't make me constantly chew my entire fingernails.

I don't think that's really true tbh. From things he's said in the past, he seems like a troll in real life, too. A nice guy, but someone who loves to fuck with people and thinks it's hilarious. Like the time he pranked those dudes on okcupid and brought a bunch of them to one location at the same time all thinking they were gonna meet a girl and stayed near them to laugh at them. Or that time he let off a stink bomb in a bar. Or when he video taped people stepping on dog shit. Or the Pringle can thing.

Is that not most (male) people?

I'm adding a gender qualifier because my female friends don't fuck with each other the way I fuck with my male friends, but I'm not going to say that females wouldn't do the same.

BearPawB

Banned
I'm the opposite.
I think the idea/format is great.

Trying to deal with someone elses xcom mess is a great idea.

But this once a week thing is killing it.
It leads to them forgetting what was going on/how to play.
It needs to be 3 episodes a week.

They also screwed themselves so badly that this is really just not worth watching when their failure is so obvious.Anyone playing that game woulda just started a new one by now.

TraBuch

Banned

I'm adding a gender qualifier because my female friends don't fuck with each other the way I fuck with my male friends, but I'm not going to say that females wouldn't do the same.
There's a huge difference between fucking with friends and fucking with total strangers.

weird generalization. It's definitely not me. Also what others said: friends =/= strangers

BearPawB

Banned
With Dan I think its is bad to assume malice since ignorance is such a more obvious answer.

He is impatient.
He doesn't like turn based games.
He is bad at Xcom.

I don't think hes trying to "fuck over" anyone with how he played. I think he just legitimately had no idea what he was doing (despite having BEAT the game)

Oh and yeah, the new Xcom 2 expansion is great. The new features are all super fun

Meneses

Did they say if the XCom expansion is coming to consoles?

I'm interested in it but Xcom 2's technical performance was pretty bad on PS4 so I don't know if they'll bother porting the expansion.

Meneses

I'm the opposite.
I think the idea/format is great.

Trying to deal with someone elses xcom mess is a great idea.

But this once a week thing is killing it.
It leads to them forgetting what was going on/how to play.
It needs to be 3 episodes a week.

They also screwed themselves so badly that this is really just not worth watching when their failure is so obvious.Anyone playing that game woulda just started a new one by now.

I agree with everything here.

They could still have a slim chance to turn things around since they have lasers now. The bad part is that they screwed up satellites so that might be a bit too late.

Listening to the Aftershow™ and someone asked what genre they'd like to see a Mario game get made in. I realized that I just want The Sexy Brutale with Mario characters.

Top Bottom