• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

The only bugbear I have with XCorps is that it's weekly. It just kinda kills the momentum.

I guess it's equivalent to Kerbal in terms of scheduling, but when XCorps is just one mission per vid it feels insubstantial.
Did they say if the XCom expansion is coming to consoles?

I'm interested in it but Xcom 2's technical performance was pretty bad on PS4 so I don't know if they'll bother porting the expansion.

WotC is on consoles September 12th, two weeks later. It had a pretty sudden delay which is where the confusion is coming from.

But re: performance (on PC), the difference between Vanilla XCOM 2 and WotC is genuinely shocking. You'll notice it right in the main menu, going from shakey 30's to solid 60 at the same settings (in my case, at least). It looks way better and runs waaay better, and load times are also much faster. All of this is wild when there's so much more going on everywhere.

According to Firaxis, they rewrote some of the engine (lighting, etc?) which is where this magical improvement came from. It's also the reason why the engine enhancements aren't coming to the base game-- (Firaxis hasn't said this at all, buuut) WotC effectively replaces it.
Steal My Sunshine happening in 35ish minutes!

omg Giant Bomb just saved my Wednesday.

Why does everyone keep saying Dan is playing a character?... he is not. He is just being himself. He is a selfish game player, one who only looks out for himself this has been shown throughout the years here and at Game Informer. He might be hamming it up a bit in front of the camera, but he isn't a character. No one else on Giant Bomb has or does that, he isn't the exception, that isn't what Giant Bomb is.

I used the word character loosely.(hence the quotation marks) I couldn't find a better word for it, but hamming it up is a better way to put it.

Dan DOES have a character that is a hyper exaggerated version of his regular self, and he does fall into it sometimes, but he's also legit one of the worst people to ever play xcom, according to the GI GOTY video about it.

That video was also a bit and Dan was using that very hyper exaggerated character in it.

I have just decided that Bethesda can go fuck themselves for having 'Horse armor' on the creative club as a 'fun jab at their own former greed' while also having shitty, greedy practices with their non 1-to-1 money-for-currency conversion and an eight dollar minimum or whatever the hell it is.

BTA

Yesss I'm working from home since I felt sick this morning, so I can actually watch live. Though I'll probably end up rewatching since it'll just be in the background, but still.

I've enjoyed TEC for the most part, but I was really demoralized by Dan's episode. Before things went to shit in that battle, he was definitely playing up his heel antics. Afterward, pretty sure it was genuine panic that made him fuck up over and over.

I think the whole feature is just hamstrung by the weekly schedule.

Personally, I've come to accept that the crew will play poorly most of the time. Doesn't matter who's playing or what game they're playing. They usually suck! More often than not though, they've made it entertaining throughout the years!

But you know what brings me a special kind of joy? When they actually pull out a win!

Watching Vinny get better and better in both This is the Run series was amazing. Seeing Brad break through Demon's Souls and Bloodborne was fun. Having the entire office erupt when he beat the Mile High Club was a moment. Drew schooling The End in MGScanlon was masterful. Hell, watching Dan actually kick ass in a boss fight in Beast in the East was super satisfying. Every time someone runs through the hidden platforming stages successfully in Steal My Sunshine or when someone goes on a murderous rampage in Murder Island, it's glorious. Remember the one time they played Overwatch and made an incredible last minute comeback in Hanamura? Magical.

What's not good is watching them get stomped and/or get frustrated with a game. It feels extra bad when you can hear it in the tone of their voices when it's happening.

What's good is hearing Abby's battle cry whenever she does great in PUBG or Mario Sunshine.

This isn't applicable for every feature, of course. There are games like Kerbal Space Program and Mario Party where half the fun is seeing them fumble their way through and get fucked every now and then in the dumbest ways.

But yeah, I really like it when I see them do good in video games. I wish it happened more often.

Personally, I've come to accept that the crew will play poorly most of the time. Doesn't matter who's playing or what game they're playing. They usually suck! More often than not though, they've made it entertaining throughout the years!

But you know what brings me a special kind of joy? When they actually pull out a win!

Watching Vinny get better and better in both This is the Run series was amazing. Seeing Brad break through Demon's Souls and Bloodborne was fun. Having the entire office erupt when he beat the Mile High Club was a moment. Drew schooling The End in MGScanlon was masterful. Hell, watching Dan actually kick ass in a boss fight in Beast in the East was super satisfying. Every time someone runs through the hidden platforming stages successfully in Steal My Sunshine or when someone goes on a murderous rampage in Murder Island, it's glorious. Remember the one time they played Overwatch and made an incredible last minute comeback in Hanamura? Magical.

What's not good is watching them get stomped and/or get frustrated with a game. It feels extra bad when you can hear it in the tone of their voices when it's happening.

This is an excellent view of GB in general. Playing in a studio with people watching of course isn't ideal and can cause people not to focus as much as possible or be distracted. (It's a bit hard, but not the most impossible thing in the world) The great moments where they do come together and win is really enjoyable. It's one of the main reasons why I still watch even though I get extremely frustrated at a lot of what they do.

I mean Vinny did say that there would be Sunshine today or atleast said a high chance of it happening on Blue Bombin' if I remember correctly so hell yeah. They're flying tomorrow or after if I'm not mistaken. On another note, that Drew documentary was riveting. So good. I just wish it was longer.

Lari

That's the appeal of Murder Island to me, one of these day they WILL get that chicken dinner and i'm gonna fist pump alone in my room for them.

Hasney

That's the appeal of Murder Island to me, one of these day they WILL get that chicken dinner and i'm gonna fist pump alone in my room for them.

And it's probably why I don't like it that much. There's so much downtime where nothing interesting happens and I really don't give a shit if they win or not.

BTA

Im watching that right now. Man, him and Justin need to defect to GB. Griffin especially.

I know you're probably just joking, but no thanks. I love their stuff and they're good folks but they're already established and can do what they do better at Polygon.

killroy87

I know you're probably just joking, but no thanks. I love their stuff and they're good folks but they're already established and can do what they do better at Polygon.

Nah, I'm being too legit to quit. They'd be wasted on the West Coast, but Griffin's personality would jive super well down East.

Also, the McElroys are too big for GB. Frankly, I'm surprised they're still with Polygon.

Yeah, I'd agree with you there. I can't imagine they need whatever salary Polygon is giving them. But who knows.

"The game has changed after the fateful events of the last episode. Join us as we attempt to come to terms with our new reality."

Can someone please explain this to me? I missed the last episode.

Hasney

Barely paying attention to this, but made the right choices

uYLpxw9.jpg

BTA

Also, the McElroys are too big for GB. Frankly, I'm surprised they're still with Polygon.

Nah, I'm being too legit to quit. They'd be wasted on the West Coast, but Griffin's personality would jive super well down East.

Yeah, I'd agree with you there. I can't imagine they need whatever salary Polygon is giving them. But who knows.

I mean, it's more or less just their day job, though I think at one point they mentioned that they were able to work a little less due to their podcasts. But I don't think the podcast ads/live shows are actually enough to be their main job? It's not like they have a Patreon or anything, though of course that'd go very well for them if they did.

Though regarding GB- the other thing is that neither of them would move. Beyond that, I'd really rather that GB pretty much never hire an established person again, or at least never poach someone who's already working at a large site. I'd rather see cool new people get into the industry than someone already established just jump jobs.

Top Bottom