• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Stoze

Take:
The timer makes XCOM 2 way more exciting to play since the "run to full cover and overwatch with everyone" strategy holds no power.
It's not just the timer, but there's a ton of new design quirks in 2 that influence you to both spread your units out and play more tactically and aggressively, like the concealment and ambush mechanics (which are fantastic additions imo).

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I had PTSD of failing my first X-COM 1 run halfway through because I didn't have enough satellites, so in X-COM 2 I consciously made an effort to focus on those, and I had no problem with the radar metagame at all.

P.S. Fuuuuu X-COM 2 is so good. Can't wait for the Xpac.

XCOM2 is in a great place, aside from all the terrible DLC. Hopefully the expansion makes up for how the season pass made the game worse than a vanilla playthrough.

Just finished the BRADcast. That was wonderful, Brad is a beautiful human being.
Spoiler: they won't

Because 2 is easier than 4 no? I think if it's just Jeff & Brad they would've won a long time ago. I don't watch it for them to win though, winning is just icing on the motherfuckin cake.

oti

Banned
Just finished the BRADcast. That was wonderful, Brad is a beautiful human being.

Because 2 is easier than 4 no? I think if it's just Jeff & Brad they would've won a long time ago. I don't watch it for them to win though, winning is just icing on the motherfuckin cake.

I'm saying they aren't even trying to win. They're just goofing around.

pizzacat

Banned
It's not just the timer, but there's a ton of new design quirks in 2 that influence you to both spread your units out and play more tactically and aggressively, like the concealment and ambush mechanics (which are fantastic additions imo).
Concealment mechanic just dies when one person gets caught and everyone gets discovered except for the people who have that specific perk

It's a waste of a perk because it shouldn't be like that lol

Stoze

Concealment mechanic just dies when one person gets caught and everyone gets discovered except for the people who have that specific perk

I'm not sure what you're saying, like yeah, that's how it works. If it didn't die for all characters after doing the first ambush it would be way overpowered, and the perks for the assault class that let you stay/re-enter it are extremely good.

What? It's great for scouting ahead or ambushing tough targets, and can save your squad if you happen to stumble into someone.

That's actually what I think XCOM 2 excels at--turning failure into something players don't avoid, but rather anticipate. There will be missions that go bad, shots that miss, ambushes that fail, or soldiers that die--but no matter what, the Commander will always have a back-up plan to bring the team ever-closer to victory. And it has a bunch of mechanics to facilitate this, like impromptu evacs, the timers, fully destructible cover, and a host of RNG-based mechanics. It's all about minimizing that chance of failure, but never eliminating it outright.

XCOM 2's an incredible game. Can't wait for the expansion.

Megasoum

Banned
The joke has officially gone too far

XIUQ2lV.png

This thread has convinced me to install XCOM 2. I got it in a Humble Monthly a while back. I love XCOM but the base building metagame stuff stressed me out too much in the first game. I heard its less emphasized in this one though?

LiK

This thread has convinced me to install XCOM 2. I got it in a Humble Monthly a while back. I love XCOM but the base building metagame stuff stressed me out too much in the first game. I heard its less emphasized in this one though?

Way less emphasized (to its detriment), imo. Try it out anyway. Hopefully it's less buggy than when I played it at launch.

Harpuia

The more I think about XCOM, the more I see that doing well has to do with knowing how shots line up and positioning. At some point, by the end game, you've learned to anticipate enemy formations and prep your soldiers to go to specific points in the map such that you activate enemy pods in a good, favorable manner.

I should get into XCOM 2, but usually I wait until at least 1 expansion for any Firaxis game.

Zeroro

Episode 1 of The Exquisite Corps was so good.

I know nothing about X-COM, but is cyborg Abby a possibility somewhere down the line? I saw a comment insinuating that was a thing. Also, Vinny's "Ellen's been canceled" line was golden.

Zaph

Not to put you off installing a great game, but I found XCOM 2 way more stressful - and that's even taking into account some amazing RNG streaks I had in the later levels, when shit gets bad. The game really makes you feel like you're fighting a lost war.

Wunder

Episode 1 of The Exquisite Corps was so good.

I know nothing about X-COM, but is cyborg Abby a possibility somewhere down the line? I saw a comment insinuating that was a thing. Also, Vinny's "Ellen's been canceled" line was golden.

No, you can't revive dead squadmates, but the expansion allows for genetic and mechanical augmentation to soldiers that allow them to get more powerful. So Russell II will have to become the MEC or superhuman soldier

Harpuia

It'd be real good if they end up making a MEC. They're so goddamn good, and I only ever made one and just upgraded them the whole game through. The last time I played through XCOM I ended up having 3 Superhumans, 1 MEC on my final team. There was an ability that lets your unit be invisible until they perform a hostile action. I let my best Assault become one of these and they tore shit up.

Stoze

The strategy layer is more streamlined than the first but it's also considerably more stressful by design, mainly because of the Avatar project stuff that the game does a terrible job of explaining.

Don't let the Avatar doom counter and the game's insistence on doing missions immediately threaten you too much, you'll have a lot of chances to reduce the counter and time to get most of the stuff you want on the map. You can't dilly dally either though.

Wunder

It'd be real good if they end up making a MEC. They're so goddamn good, and I only ever made one and just upgraded them the whole game through. The last time I played through XCOM I ended up having 3 Superhumans, 1 MEC on my final team. There was an ability that lets your unit be invisible until they perform a hostile action. I let my best Assault become one of these and they tore shit up.

I found MECs way stronger than the gene upgrades. More health, more explosive, potentially more movement - shit's nuts

Way less emphasized (to its detriment), imo. Try it out anyway. Hopefully it's less buggy than when I played it at launch.

Not to put you off installing a great game, but I found XCOM 2 way more stressful - and that's even taking into account some amazing RNG streaks I had in the later levels, when shit gets bad. The game really makes you feel like you're fighting a lost war.

The strategy layer is more streamlined than the first but it's also considerably more stressful by design, mainly because of the Avatar project stuff that the game does a terrible job of explaining.

Don't let the countdown timer and the game's insistence on doing missions immediately threaten you too much, you'll have a lot of chances to reduce the clock and time to get most of the stuff you want on the map. You can't dilly dally either though.

Thank you. I'll definitely try to give it a fair shake even if it kills me.

Harpuia

I found MECs way stronger than the gene upgrades. More health, more explosive, potentially more movement - shit's nuts

Actually, I remember making only one MEC soldier, and I had two suits that he would use at any given moment. One had the Super Punch (which honestly is a lot more cooler than it is useful), Grenade Launcher and Restorative Mist. They were consistently the MVP of every mission.

oti

Banned
PlayerUnknown's Fuck It I'll Just Wait Back Here Oh Shit There's Someonegrounds
DGpPwXCWsAA2QcF.jpg
How about they introduced a mechanic which forces players to move? If you don't move enough for a set amount of time, you explode or something like that.

Because they can't put 200 hours in a single game like you can.

Put 10 journos in a room and let them play any first level of any game. I'd bet money they would suck real hard.

derFeef

I agree with the general thread consensus that we need more Brad content that is not DOTA. Brad and Dead Rising. Brad and Souls games. Brad and roguelikes. Brad and difficult games (Völgarr). So good, all of it.

what is 1099?

The 1099 is an interview-based podcast that highlights the best writers, YouTubers, developers, publishers, and people in games media (and sometimes media in general). Host Josiah Renaudin, a former writer for GameSpot and IGN and current editor for developer Tangent Games, brings on guests from all over the industry to talk about what they do, current trends, and methods for breaking into games.

imBask

Banned
How about they introduced a mechanic which forces players to move? If you don't move enough for a set amount of time, you explode or something like that.

eeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrh no that defeats the purpose of the game, it's a strategic game not a run and gun game. The circle already does what you want in a way. That 1 kill just means they outplayed everyone with their positioning and strategies

People have to stop trying to change the core of this game and play something else (not targeting you, but targeting everyone here)

Top Bottom