• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

daveo42

Banned

2947929-2260662229-29468.gif

Good to hear about Jeff's wife.

I often have to keep myself in check when cancer comes up with family members (it's bewilderingly common amongst my friends & family and we lost someone a little while ago) since my default reaction / coping mechanism is "intensely fucking dark gallows humor" and the rest of my family is nooot quite on the same wavelength, lol.

derFeef

he pretty clearly immediately regrets it. probably just wasn't thinking. i've done that before and it super sucks to be that dude

Oh yeah, happened to me as well. But if you want to make jokes all the time it's gonna happen at some point... I know some people you can't talk to about specific subjects because every answer is going to be sarcastic or funny... sometimes its just not appropriate. Of course he regrets it and I felt sorry for him as well to some degree, but as I said... don't overdo it.

kvothe

Oh yeah, happened to me as well. But if you want to make jokes all the time it's gonna happen at some point... I know some people you can't talk to about specific subjects because every answer is going to be sarcastic or funny... sometimes its just not appropriate. Of course he regrets it and I felt sorry for him as well to some degree, but as I said... don't overdo it.

But they weren't talking about the subject at all. It's not like it was in the middle of the conversation about Jeff's wife. It was much later and clearly unrelated. A similar situation could've happened if someone later brought up a story of a game or show that involved deadly tumors and then they suddenly realize how that could stress Jeff out and feel badly for it. Doesn't really have anything to do with an inability to take things seriously.

LowRoller

Have they said if they're going to do q and a at the panel this year? This is my first Pax and I'm going to try and attend the panel, but I hate that segment.

oti

Banned
Have they said if they're going to do q and a at the panel this year? This is my first Pax and I'm going to try and attend the panel, but I hate that segment.
Aren't they doing one every year? That's a big part of the appeal for many I'd assume.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
You can tell Pathologic 2 is an Ice Pick Lodge game cause you use the K button to knock on doors (not a lot of excitement for that game on GAF apparently, but I'm hyped)

Edit: Wrong thread

BTA

way to go and activate the sleeper agents

It's too late. I'm already being reminded how that's another thing I've meant to play for years but haven't.

I even have the HD version from backing the Kickstarter; I should find some time for that...

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
It's too late. I'm already being reminded how that's another thing I've meant to play for years but haven't.

I even have the HD version from backing the Kickstarter; I should find some time for that...

way to go and activate the sleeper agents

Nobody cares about my thread which makes me really, really sad.
Pathologic is such a weird and awesome and WEIRD game. It deserves more attention. Certainly more than all the other boring survival games out there

derFeef

But they weren't talking about the subject at all. It's not like it was in the middle of the conversation about Jeff's wife. It was much later and clearly unrelated. A similar situation could've happened if someone later brought up a story of a game or show that involved deadly tumors and then they suddenly realize how that could stress Jeff out and feel badly for it. Doesn't really have anything to do with an inability to take things seriously.

I don't want to stretch this as much out, but you would have to think that subject is on Jeffs mind the whole time. You could see it in the reactions from all of them that it was ill-timed - no idea why anyone would deny that.

Anyway, happy for Jeff and his wife and that's the most important part.

justjim89

That's a relief to hear all is well in the house of the Gerst.

Off topic, but I'm confused about Absolver. Is it primarily multiplayer, or is there an actual campaign to it?

BTA

Pathologic is such a weird and awesome and WEIRD game. It deserves more attention. Certainly more than all the other boring survival games out there

It seems like the exact kind of janky weird thing I love! Which is why I've meant to play it for years; I really have no excuse thanks to the HD version making it slightly less obtuse as well. I'd like to get to it before the new version/remake/whatever comes out at least, which is why I backed it.

But that as a reason to play it soon's worked about as well as backing La Mulana 2 did, so...

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

I don't think I've ever heard of Pathologic, but if it's an attempt at being scary from the people who made Cargo when they weren't trying to be scary, I'm already scared.

BTA

That's a relief to hear all is well in the house of the Gerst.

Off topic, but I'm confused about Absolver. Is it primarily multiplayer, or is there an actual campaign to it?

Seems like Journey. You could play the game offline but the meat and potatoes as they say is in the multiplayer portion mixed in with the campaign. That's how I read it.

Based on what I saw of the OT + a couple reviews I read, it seems like there's a short <5 hour campaign that's basically just a tutorial for then doing multiplayer. You can encounter people out in the wild or specifically choose to enter PvP fights.

It seems pretty cool but I don't think I have it in me to actually learn how to be good at the fighting, particularly as I'm neglecting enough multiplayer games as is, so I'm passing on it.

I wish Drew did a podcast interview with that tour guide.

Drew's Chernobyl documentary was real good.

He should just drop the gaming aspect and have it be a travel show tho.

The gaming aspect feels like its barely there anyway. But I guess it really only acts as the jumping off point so whatever.

Wonder when trip 2 will be. I kinda need at least 2 of these trips to sorta judge the format.

Mr. F

Banned
Drew's Chernobyl documentary was real good.

He should just drop the gaming aspect and have it be a travel show tho.

I haven't kept up with his clothmap, has he been making good on the gaming angle of the premise? When he was pitching it on Patreon I liked the sentiment behind what he was going for but it felt like it would be kind of difficult to execute or find stories that fit the bill.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
If anything both jeff and Brad were joking around about cancer at the start of the show which is a little weird in retrospect.

and to be fair, everyone was making chiding little jokes on the Ryan memorial podcast. I think everyone knows how each other handles these situations.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
and to be fair, everyone was making chiding little jokes on the Ryan memorial podcast. I think everyone knows how each other handles these situations.

Yeah pretty much. At some point those guys are probably close enough (Ben is pretty new but goes way back to the intern days) that they can decide what's appropriate or not for their group.

Today I managed to lose 10 matches of Absolver in a row, started XCOM2 campaign only to discover 3 hours later the new expansion needs you to pick a different option at launch, then I overwrote my most popular FirePro workshop item and can't get it back.

Damnit!

Edit: Still happy to hear the news about Mrs. Gerstmann!

kvothe

I don't want to stretch this as much out, but you would have to think that subject is on Jeffs mind the whole time. You could see it in the reactions from all of them that it was ill-timed - no idea why anyone would deny that.

Anyway, happy for Jeff and his wife and that's the most important part.

My point was that it was clearly an accident. The way you compared Ben to someone who you simply can't talk about serious subjects with implies that he intentionally disregarded Jeff's situation for the sake of a joke. What actually happened was he made a one-line pop culture reference 2+ hours after the conversation about Jeff's situation had ceased. Once he realized the connection, he clearly regretted it. It's not some character flaw in Ben, it was just an accident.

Grandiose and wrongheaded interpretations or wild conspiracy theories based on like off hand comments here and there is a whole separate can of worms that I don't know if I want to get into. People read a lot of what they want and read into things that are said or not said or you know just goofy glances or whatever, I mean, it's a weird thing. I really don't know how to approach that stuff. People come up with some wild ideas. - Brad Shoemaker

Top Bottom