• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Every single new person you meet in Japan always says "wow you're so tall, how tall are you?" and then freaks out when you tell them

As someone just slightly shorter than Ben that happens almost daily here in the US. Followed up immediately by do/did you play basketball 99.999% of the time. Don't even need to go to Japan!

Benefits of being tall are over exaggerated. Sort of a grass is greener type exchange. So much of the modern world is designed for average heights, say around ~180cm. I feel for Ben whenever he has to travel.

Aselith

Benefits of being tall are over exaggerated. Sort of a grass is greener type exchange. So much of the modern world is designed for average heights, say around ~180cm. I feel for Ben whenever he has to travel.

No it's awesome! Ben just went too damn far with it. I'm 6' 4" and that's a pretty good way to go.

eosLkTg.gif

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sorry for sort of barging in without reading the last few pages, but I just checked out the Postmortem video on Youtube and saw Jeff being at PAX, and remembered his words from the last podcast - does this mean his wife's okay?

edit also holy shit lol, he's REALLY good at this :D

Hasney

I'm sorry for sort of barging in without reading the last few pages, but I just checked out the Postmortem video on Youtube and saw Jeff being at PAX, and remembered his words from the last podcast - does this mean his wife's okay?

edit also holy shit lol, he's REALLY good at this :D

lXIuisd.png

Bakalar's absence was felt on last week's Beastcast. This week's is already off to a better start.

No it's awesome! Ben just went too damn far with it. I'm 6' 4" and that's a pretty good way to go.

I'm not that tall but even I find leg room to be a problem on planes and the like.

Hasney

Vinny going in on that SNES classic bullshit.

So unfortunate that they are rewarded for it.

That's the problem, if it wasn't in demand, it wouldn't be bullshit because there would be enough to go around. Then they wouldn't be rewarded, but wouldn't havemade many mistakes.

Now it doesn't matter who supports it or not, Nintendo gets paid regardless. Luckily I'm in Europe where it was a piece of piss to pre-order.

oti

Banned
Vinny going in on that SNES classic bullshit.

So unfortunate that they are being rewarded for it.

I mean, "being rewarded" is a weird thing to say. People want this thing. You can't make people stop wanting this thing. I do believe them when they say they're manufacturing significantly more than the NES mini, but I never expected them to make "enough". Whatever enough means in this context.

But it's pretty easy to just watch this from the sidelines, while pre-ordering from Europe like it was nothing.

hamchan

Think i did 8 hours straight of Yakuza Kiwami today.

Probs put in like 500 hours playing this whole series.

Still not sick of it.

Keep pumping these games out annually.

That's the problem, if it wasn't in demand, it wouldn't be bullshit because there would be enough to go around. Then they wouldn't be rewarded, but wouldn't havemade many mistakes.

Now it doesn't matter who supports it or not, Nintendo gets paid regardless. Luckily I'm in Europe where it was a piece of piss to pre-order.

I mean, "being rewarded" is a weird thing to say. People want this thing. You can't make people stop wanting this thing. I do believe them when they say they're manufacturing significantly more than the NES mini, but I never expected them to make "enough". Whatever enough means in this context.

But it's pretty easy to just watch this from the sidelines, while pre-ordering from Europe like it was nothing.

Because its gonna "sell out" regardless plus having all the bullshit hoops people have to go through. Also its a company that has experience in dealing with stock as they have been doing it for years acting like fucking amateurs pleading "please understand"

If it was posed as an actual special edition with indicators to say its special (like the signed by Miyamoto thing Vinny mentioned) i doubt it would be much of an issue but it being posed as something you can get at some point but signs are showing yet you cant get shit is where it gets fucked tbh.

they should have just been up front and say that this is a special edition and make the effort for it to be as such.

*shrug*

Also the crew (sans Dan of course) breaking down Mario to being a fucking idiot was a sight to behold LOL.

Its why people have theories of peach actually liking being captured or why mario cant take the fucking hint :p

oti

Banned
Because its gonna "sell out" regardless plus the the bullshit hoops people have to go through. Also its a company that has experience in dealing with stock as they have been doing it for years acting like fucking amateurs pleading "please understand"

If it was posed as an actual special edition with indicators to say its special (like the signed by Miyamoto thing Vinny mentioned) i doubt it would be much of an issue but it being posed as something you can get at some point but signs are showing yet you cant get shit is where it gets fucked tbh.

they should have just been up front and say that this is a special edition and make the effort for it to be as such.

*shrug*

They've been saying it's a limited production run since the beginning. The one thing they could do to decrease demand is to increase the price. Which they can't really do after pricing the NES mini at $80. I think the main problem here is that Nintendo in their amazing incompetence greatly underestimated demand for those novelty items while being unable to siginificalty expand their production for them. It's a mess.

Is there an archive of Brad's stream?
It's on YouTube.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The taboo that Nintendo did though is that they did not really signal the release time for the snes classic.

Even sneaker drops do that.

Wait who told them it wasnt a good idea to play Yazuka 0 first before going with Kiwami? What?

They've been saying it's a limited production run since the beginning. The one thing they could do to decrease demand is to increase the price. Which they can't really do after pricing the NES mini at $80. I think the main problem here is that Nintendo in their amazing incompetence greatly underestimated demand for those novelty items while being unable to siginificalty expand their production for them. It's a mess.

Limited production for an item that looks like it can be on a store shelf at any time. I think its a shitty way to portray something like that which can be easily misleading for people who don't have their eyes and ears on the fucking internet at all times but alas this is the same company that thought that headset thing for Splatoon 2 was a good idea *shrug*

i will agree with your last point through and it amazes me how at times they seem to be on the money then other times its like they unknowingly tripped themselves into something good. Oh well.

oti

Banned
Absolver looks cool but way too complicated for my taste.

Wait who told them it wasnt a good idea to play Yazuka 0 first before going with Kiwami? What?

Limited production for an item that looks like it can be on a store shelf at any time. I think its a shitty way to portray something like that which can be easily misleading for people who don't have their eyes and ears on the fucking internet at all times but alas this is the same company that thought that headset thing for Splatoon 2 was a good idea *shrug*

i will agree with your last point through and it amazes me how at times they seem to be on the money then other times its like they unknowingly tripped themselves into something good. Oh well.

Imagine their faces after the NES mini exploded on Facebook.

"We screwed up."
"Yep."

I really want to know what the profit margins for these are, though. Wouldn't surprise me if they weren't actually that high.

oti

Banned
I totally forgot I bought Sonic Mania.
Brad playing Sonic is basically how I play Sonic.

I don't like Sonic.

Uh what? A much of abs shells and not even top-of-tge-line circuits aren't going to cost that much.
It's not just the chips. Making the custom shells, licensing all the games (and I'd bet the costs for licenses went up after the success of the NES mini) and the opportunity costs add up. People expect the profit margin to be extremely high, which I doubt. Not saying it costs $70 to manufacture or something.

Lari

Sonic Mania has been my jam.

Unfortunately i'm hopelessly stuck on the
oil ocean zone
for days now. Can't beat the boss for the life of me :(

I do like Sonic tho.

oil ocean zone

I do like Sonic tho.

I just got there... man, I really love this game, but heavily relying on multiple old levels is kinda a bummer, Green Hill was fine, but others.... ugh, I actually really like the new levels. It's a great game, I'm having fun, but that and the Sonic 3 bonus levels only suck. Why didn't they choose to have them change everytime and do Sonic 1, 2 and the gumball machine as bonus checkpoint zones too? it makes no sense!!!

oil ocean zone

I do like Sonic tho.

That's where I'm at too. The boss is Act 2 is not fun at all.

I just got there... man, I really love this game, but heavily relying on multiple old levels is kinda a bummer, Green Hill was fine, but others.... ugh, I actually really like the new levels. It's a great game, I'm having fun, but that and the Sonic 3 bonus levels only suck. Why didn't they choose to have them change everytime and do Sonic 1, 2 and the gumball machine as bonus checkpoint zones too? it makes no sense!!!

I'm liking the use of old stages, they add enough new elements and play with your expectations in cool ways.

oil ocean zone

I do like Sonic tho.

I had some trouble with this boss too, especially with Knuckles.
Take your time, try to keep calm and focus on killing the tentacles first. With them gone he's fairly easy to take out.

Catvoca

Banned
I got to the last boss of Sonic Mania and died and haven't picked it up since. I hate the save system, I don't want to replay these long-ass levels again just to have another shot at a boss.

Hasney

Playing the Knack 2 demo and it's pretty self aware at least.

"It's hard to believe you saved the world considering you only know 3 punches and a kick"
"Hey, he can jump too!"

Lari

Oh I hate the bonus level so much, always been my least favorite (and the one i'm worst at). I've only managed to get all the blue spheres in one so far and I skipped a bunch of them.

Also having to stop at the checkpoints to play the bonus level is annoying. I just wanna keep going!

That's where I'm at too. The boss is Act 2 is not fun at all.

I had some trouble with this boss too, especially with Knuckles.
Take your time, try to keep calm and focus on killing the tentacles first. With them gone he's fairly easy to take out.

YES! I finally beat that sucker!!

Meguro

Banned
I got to the last boss of Sonic Mania and died and haven't picked it up since. I hate the save system, I don't want to replay these long-ass levels again just to have another shot at a boss.

Exact same thing happened to me. I can get through the stage just fine so it's basically just wasting my time and NOPE.
And people got angry that Polygon mentioned the checkpoint system as a negative!

Top Bottom