• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Reminder that Steam Spy isn't always accurate, and also there's XBONE sales.

I've put off playing it all month because my brain sucks about playing things when I'm not in the right mood sometimes; gonna sit down and start it tonight though.

Steamspy is plenty accurate and even in that lower range it's still enough to give us a ballpark figure. And low sales on one platform are usually an indicator of how it did elsewhere too.

It's Vinny's baby, and from what Austin said, Vinny's been wanting to do it for years. He probably knows they're in a real bad spot right now, and that this run is 99% fucked with how badly the previous two episodes went. I think he just wants to extend it for as long as possible because I also don't see them going straight into another game for the feature when this one's done anytime soon.

So I completely understand why he's gotten way more controlling!

It's Vinny's baby, and from what Austin said, Vinny's been wanting to do it for years. He probably knows they're in a real bad spot right now, and that this run is 99% fucked with how badly the previous two episodes went. I think he just wants to extend it for as long as possible because I also don't see them going straight into another game for the feature when this one's done anytime soon.

So I completely understand why he's gotten way more controlling!

The problem is Vinny's advice is not good a lot of the time and he also doesn't really "get" the game. I haven't seen the latest one yet tho. But Alex seems like the type to suffer from analysis paralysis in games like this and he needs someone to tell him what to do or it'll just be hemming and hawing worse than Brad does.

Great ep of XCORPS. Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.

And I dunno what y'all expect from the Alex/Vinny combo. Alex is always asking Vinny for advice, and Vinny is always giving it; their first ep was the same. When Earth is on the line, decisions have to be made.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Ha, I've done exactly what Dan did. Hotel employees are often very careless. This was to retrieve an item of my ownership tho, not to take something that did not belong to me.

Wunder

Great ep of XCORPS. Snatching victory from the jaws of defeat.

And I dunno what y'all expect from the Alex/Vinny combo. Alex is always asking Vinny for advice, and Vinny is always giving it; their first ep was the same. When Earth is on the line, decisions have to be made.

It's not just Alex/Vinny though, Abby's run was affected due to Vinny's advice and his advice, along with internet comments, led her to second guess any of her aggressive decisions.

Santiako

I'm liking the xcorpse series, but at this point it's just Vinny playing by proxy :/

I wish he'd let them play and just offer colour commentary.

It's not just Alex/Vinny though, Abby's run was affected due to Vinny's advice and his advice, along with internet comments, led her to second guess any of her aggressive decisions.

The only way they'll grow as Commanders is by learning more about the game and how it plays. And since thier playtime is like one hour every third week, they'll probably need a lot of help to stay proficient.

Vinny giving advice, providing information, and gently guiding them isn't a bad thing. Each Commander will become naturally more decisive as they learn how everything works--with assurance comes confidence. And part of that process will be learning that Vinny can be wrong, that ultimately they are the Commander, and that their word is law.

If they can survive long enough it will be quite a sight to behold.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
By playing only once every three weeks they need to rely on Vinny.
Man, watching this makes me want to play XCOM 2 again so bad

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
This episode was recorded weeks ago, they aren't playing every three weeks. They were talking about Rayman vs Mario and XCOM coming out "at the end of this month" as though it were a few weeks away.

The series would also be over by now if Vinny didn't chime in occasionally.

By playing only once every three weeks they need to rely on Vinny.
Man, watching this makes me want to play XCOM 2 again so bad

The new expansion is so good. It's also so evil.

Fantastapotamus

Man I just watched the second Abby video.
Did the expansion make the game a lot harder? I don't remember facing that many enemies a few missions in.

(Also don't listen to the comments Abby, dashing can be vital)

The new expansion is so good. It's also so evil.

Don't tempt me

TraBuch

Banned
One step closer to the day when Dan will inadvertently admit to having commit a serious crime.
"Did I ever tell you guys about that time I accidentally killed my cat by sticking him in the microwave? Yeah, I saw it in a movie once. I wasn't really sure if it would really kill a cat because it's not like there's fire in there or anything, it's just gamma rays and gamma rays give people weird powers, so I tried it, and yeah, it killed him. It's all right though, because I ate the meat afterwards and I've always heard that it's okay to kill animals as long as you do it for food. It tasted a lot like human. What? I've told you guys about that time I ate somebody. I didn't? Okay, so this one time, me and my buddy were wrestling and I tried to do a piledriver on him but I accidentally broke his neck and he died instantly and I didn't know what to do, but then I remembered that humans are basically like meat, right? And humans are basically animals, right? So I ate him and then the cops found out and when they showed up at my door, I just told them I did it for food and I was really hungry and they were fine with it and left.

You guys wanna play some Mario Party?"

I dunno that XCOM: Enemy Within is harder, it's more that it throws a lot of curveballs that people used to XCOM: EU won't be expecting. MELD encourages much more aggressive play and gives players lavish rewards; the new enemies are a mix of dangerous and difficult to anticipate, curbing popular squad builds; and there's a handful of new strategic-level challenges to overcome. It makes the overall game much more engaging, more than anything.

And man, speaking of EW's additions, XCORPS is gonna love EXALT.

If the series dies, it dies.

Series never die.
I was perfectly fine skipping it, but with the way Waypoint was talking about it I miiiiight have to check it out. Seems really neat

War of the Chosen is the real deal. It's difficult to overstate how much it improves XCOM 2.

I've actually been struggling to think of a better expansion pack ever released... but the thought is unfair because XCOM 2's horrendous performance problems are 100% fixed by the expansion (and exclusive to it, due to engine changes).

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
wow these gigantic queues are absurdly long even with a steam release

and I say that as someone who plays Titanfall 2 on PC that has a pretty small pop

Fantastapotamus

War of the Chosen is the real deal. It's difficult to overstate how much it improves XCOM 2.

I've actually been struggling to think of a better expansion pack ever released... but the thought is unfair because XCOM 2's horrendous performance problems are 100% fixed by the expansion (and exclusive to it, due to engine changes).

Stop it.
I don't want to buy it right now
Somebody tell me WotC is really bad please

Wunder

Yeah, I'm super happy I picked it up. I don't know if I like it more because I find it easier though, because I'm late game now and ripping up everything in my sight. I accidentally activated 3 pods on my soldier's last turn but somehow managed to not lose a single soldier and clean up everything within 2 turns.

I'm on Veteran so it's not the hardest thing in the world but even late game in Vanilla I still felt very threatened and the last mission was hellish (both performance and difficulty wise). I have a feeling unless there's a big curveball, the last mission will be a walk in the park compared to the base game.

Harpuia

but the thought is unfair because XCOM 2's horrendous performance problems are 100% fixed by the expansion (and exclusive to it, due to engine changes).

Wait what. Really? I bought Xcom 2 in prep for when I'm feeling like getting war of the chosen, and I was noticing the game had some jank.

I just want Dirt Bike and Brad to survive. They're too fabulous to abandon.
Wait what. Really? I bought Xcom 2 in prep for when I'm feeling like getting war of the chosen, and I was noticing the game had some jank.

Yes.

So long as you should be able to reasonably run it to begin with, I mean.

Mr. F

Banned
y'all ever have a simple misunderstanding at work come back to haunt you in the 11th hour costing you the rest of your holiday because there's an enormous fire to put out? feelsbad.

good thing there's #content to console me.

Tubobutts

y'all ever have a simple misunderstanding at work come back to haunt you in the 11th hour costing you the rest of your holiday because there's an enormous fire to put out? feelsbad.

Did you break into a coworker's hotel room and steal their N64 so you could practice for an upcoming video game wrestling tournament?

patapuf

Never a misunderstanding but hour head of department quit out of the blue once. That put my vacation to a quick halt.

Finally got to Brad's stream where he played Knack and he was blown away by the PS4 Pro options of choosing either frame rate of graphics....

REALLY? Why would anyone be excited about having to choose one of the other? Shouldn't the whole point of the Pro be the fact that it's powerful enough to do both? Wow, I couldn't be more pleased that I never bought a Pro if that is the options that they give.

I mean sure, if you have to choose you'd always go with a better framerate, but man.... having to HAVE to choose and not be able to just have both with a "more powerful" console just seems terrible.

Ya'll ready for the quick look of the year to drop at 3:01 AM ET.
CC0pC9Z.gif

jiggles

Banned
Finally got to Brad's stream where he played Knack and he was blown away by the PS4 Pro options of choosing either frame rate of graphics....

REALLY? Why would anyone be excited about having to choose one of the other? Shouldn't the whole point of the Pro be the fact that it's powerful enough to do both? Wow, I couldn't be more pleased that I never bought a Pro if that is the options that they give.

I mean sure, if you have to choose you'd always go with a better framerate, but man.... having to HAVE to choose and not be able to just have both with a "more powerful" console just seems terrible.

Seems a really weird thing to take issue with. The concept of giving the player the choice on how the extra power they opted-in to gets put to use is as old as PC gaming. It's better to have the choice than to, say, have a 4K render forced on you when you would have rather the juice been put to making the game run smoother. All hardware has its limits, and a Pro having roughly twice the power as the base model isn't going to let you render 4x the pixels at also twice the framerate (meaning an 8x increase in pixel throughput).

Basically: get real.

hamchan

Alex did well at XCOM.

Could potentially be the end of the series when Dan takes over next week. Alex will return to headquarters and it'll be in ruins.

Top Bottom