• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

I don't mind them playing bad, can be funny and interesting. Running away and splitting off from the team is boring viewing though.

I'd say they'll have a word with Dan about his play before the next time they stream. It seemed like both Alex and Vinny were annoyed with him by the end of today's stream. And Jeff, of course lol.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think they probably put the camera on Dan because he really likes the game? He definitely said he played over 70 hours of it.

Finally back! looking at the previous pages, looks like an awesome and a mess kind of stream at the same time. Can't wait for the archive. Also, Waypoint talked about the Polygon thing.
Anyone else feel like Jeff actually hates playing squads? Like even if it's his colleagues. And we know that he generally doesn't like having to rely on others but he just seems legit angry at times.

He does. He's never into team based MP games, it's not his thing. Which is why he has said several times on how surprised he was at himself for being into PUBG because he thought he was super not going to be.
Just put the goddamn name on the schedule, man.

As Brad said in The 1099 interview "We don't put anything on there unless it is 100% a done deal, fully recorded or was going to happen for sure."

oti

Banned
As Brad said in The 1099 interview "We don't put anything on there unless it is 100% a done deal, fully recorded or was going to happen for sure."

How can their most popular video not be happening for sure? How's that even possible?

I just want to get past this shitty uncertainty for the most part.

How can their most popular video not be happening for sure? How's that even possible?

It's highly possible that they haven't recorded it yet so, we'll see. Especially since they said they couldn't do so because of technical issues(maybe they were actually waiting for Jeff to come back).

Waypoint talked about Nick Robinson

We Discuss Nick Robinson, Harassment, and Power Dynamics on Waypoint Radio

skip to 32:54 for Nick discussion

Nice to see another video game website talk about it.

I understand its a small industry and everyone kinda has a "I dont want to talk about the bad thing the other guys did because I could work for them in a year" approach but imagine if "real" media did that every time a fox news presenter did something shitty?

This feels like a issue would calling out.

Zaph

Waypoint talked about Nick Robinson

We Discuss Nick Robinson, Harassment, and Power Dynamics on Waypoint Radio

skip to 32:54 for Nick discussion

Yeah, I'm not sure about all that, especially when it relates to an on-going thing with an open investigation by employeers, the site in question being direct competition, and one of the accusers being a friend of the host and also the employee of another direct competitor.

Man, the whole enthusiast gaming press is weird.

Still no KH on the schedule.

Like, why.

we'll get a second episode when the "wouldn't it be funny if we did a second episode after all this time" joke is funnier to Ben than the "wouldn't it be funny if we said we were going to do a Kingdom Hearts series but then never do it" one

cordy

Banned
Yeah I think they'll talk to Dan offline or before next week's stream. I've got no problem with them playing bad and I'm ok with Dan because well, they're all people, people are different and I'm having fun no matter what they do but the fact others were getting annoyed is what's an issue. If they weren't annoyed I'd understand but this isn't the first time it's happened. I just don't want anyone to get angry and upset so they gotta do something about that.

I think Dan with Abby, Ben and Vinny fits better. He gels with them better with his playstyle.

Hasney

I'd say they'll have a word with Dan about his play before the next time they stream. It seemed like both Alex and Vinny were annoyed with him by the end of today's stream. And Jeff, of course lol.

They'ce done that before though. It was a few episodes ago when they were saying "Hey, remember in the team meeting when we said we were going to play Spicy?"

Yeah, I'm not sure about all that, especially when it relates to an on-going thing with an open investigation by employeers, the site in question being direct competition, and one of the accusers being a friend of the host and also the employee of another direct competitor.

I don't know why they shouldn't talk about this and try to make our corner of the world a little bit better. Waypoint has never shied away from talking about the broader culture surrounding games.

The "they're our competitors" argument is especially strange. They're talking about Nick, not Polygon, and he's already been suspended. And you have to be pretty cynical to assume that even entered into Austin & co.'s thought process.

And I'm like 99% sure he's persona non grata in this industry, no matter the outcome of the investigation. He's done here.

Real Hero

None of that means they shouldn't discuss it

They'ce done that before though. It was a few episodes ago when they were saying "Hey, remember in the team meeting when we said we were going to play Spicy?"

This time the title of the meeting will be changed from "Spicy play" to "Dan you have to stop looting when your teammates are getting killed"

Catvoca

Banned

Did you actually listen to it? Because they talk about that and say they haven't ran an article about it yet because it's a developing story with a potential conflict of interest.

Vinny blew that first close round by firing at a guy that had no idea he was there, and missing, and then running out into the open.

Zaph

I don't know why they shouldn't talk about this and try to make our corner of the world a little bit better. Waypoint has never shied away from talking about the broader culture surrounding games.

The "they're our competitors" argument is especially strange. They're talking about Nick, not Polygon, and he's already been suspended. And you have to be pretty cynical to assume that even entered into Austin & co.'s thought process.

And I'm like 99% sure he's persona non grata in this industry, no matter the outcome of the investigation. He's done here.

None of that means they shouldn't discuss it

For similar reasons why they won't post a story about it yet https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/894685446084677632

I'm not saying they shouldn't discuss it, be it twitter, blog, Medium etc, but their podcast is a commercial product too. So anything beyond "NR has been suspended. Next story." feels at bit tabloidy at this point.

For similar reasons why they won't post a story about it yet https://twitter.com/patrickklepek/status/894685446084677632

I'm not saying they shouldn't discuss it, be it twitter, blog, Medium etc, but their podcast is a commercial product too. So anything beyond "NR has been suspended. Next story." feels at bit tabloidy at this point.

They literally bring up that they're not aloud to go into it on the Podcast...

Also it's clearly not tabloidy, there's not accusations made from non-primary sources, they don't give out any info that they hadn't already on twitter. The majority of the talk is about debating/warning about predatory power dynamics between creators/fans and seemingly soft boys/their targets.

Catvoca

Banned

None of it felt tabloidy at all though. It was barely about Nick, it was much more about what sexual harassment means in the social media age, what are the power dynamics at play between fans/creators and how they cover and deal with news like this. It's actually very respectful and doesn't deal in any conjecture.

But whatever, people would be complaining if they didn't cover it so 🤷*♀️

None of it felt tabloidy at all though. It was barely about Nick, it was much more about what sexual harassment means in the social media age, what are the power dynamics at play between fans/creators and how they cover and deal with news like this. It's actually very respectful and doesn't deal in any conjecture.

But whatever, people would be complaining if they didn't cover it so ��*♀️

It's a pretty great and somewhat cathartic chat. I've never been a fan of that guy but I feel for those that are and I feel something fierce for those that were wronged by that dipshit.
I hope nobody is legitimately angry about how Dan is doing and takes to heart this wise man's philosophies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A

On one hand, it is only a game but on the other....

I hope nobody is legitimately angry about how Dan is doing and takes to heart this wise man's philosophies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A

I should point out how that man's performance with the Flyers led to them buying out his $51,000,000 nine-year contract just two years in, so he's probably not the best man to be taking pointers from

imagine being so bad at your job that you're paid 23 million dollars to not work there anymore

Harpuia

I should point out how that man's performance with the Flyers led to them buying out his $51,000,000 nine-year contract just two years in, so he's probably not the best man to be taking pointers from

imagine being so bad at your job that you're paid 23 million dollars to not work there anymore

Well do as he says, not as he does etc. etc..

I'm not versed in the Sports so I felt it in my bones that something about him was gonna bite me in the ass

What about Dan has everyone (including Jeff) in a huff? Did he do something specific that caused his colleagues to turn against him.

Jeff is such a wildcard for GOTY. He's been critical of Zelda (despite liking it) and I feel like his enthusiasm for PUBG is waning over time. He hasn't gotten deep into Nier or Yakuza either.

Teddified

Callodooty is coming out I'd say Jeff might like it, but I don't know if any CoD could end his love affair with Advanced Warfare.

Harpuia

Jeff is such a wildcard for GOTY. He's been critical of Zelda (despite liking it) and I feel like his enthusiasm for PUBG is waning over time. He hasn't gotten deep into Nier or Yakuza either.

Nah I easily seeing him casting his vote for PUBG over BoTW. Because he played it more or something, most likely. He'll probably say how he stopped playing BoTW because everything felt the same, while making an argument about how PUBG makes every experience different, all while bringing up #YourFirstChickenDinner's victory in Best Moment.

Has he gotten to the end of BoTW yet?

BTA

That only makes me want them to talk about it more, I guess? Maybe it's not the best idea company-wise but if multiple friends of yours were affected by this or were posters of some of the best/most referenced tweet threads on this, I'd rather see this platform used to talk about it in a more powerful place too; it'd feel weird to me if it was glossed over.

I'm listening currently, in any case.

I, uh, keep forgetting that WW2uty is a thing. I think I'm conflating it with the other one. Battlefield. Not the Star Wars one, the other one--1.

I think GOTY is Battlegrounds to lose. They have a few months of updates to drop the ball though so its not a sure thing yet.

isn't his hate for old guns more about ww1 and further back rather than ww2 stuff.

His hate of old guns is directly a result of all the WW2 games that existed before COD4 killed that scene.

gKYRbb2.jpg

where's oti!?

I know linked spoilers are shown just don't want to participate in fake tweet city

Jeff will go hard for Horizon because it's this year's not-Ubisoft Ubisoft game

Jeff doesn't go for the best games. He goes for the games that have the least rough edges. The most focus-tested, polished AAA games.

On one hand, it is only a game but on the other....

Lol. This is the best.

Team ex-bomb took it first.

Edit: I'm excited for tonights Murder Island but I can see the grievances. I've played with friends on my squad who are so selfish they bring the whole team down, and I've straight up said "Maybe you should stick to solo if you're gonna steal our loot and run when we're in a fight." On the other hand Dan is endlessly entertaining. So it's a toss up.

Top Bottom