• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

ST2K

Honestly, I don't have a problem with Mario Maker being the GOTY that year.

I will be a little bothered if the game they stream a lot wins GOTY 3 years in a row. It makes the GOTY discussions boring.

Lunar FC

Yeah, I tried playing it solo and while it is fun it's not as fun as it was with my friends/family. PUBG at the very least is as much fun alone as it is with friends. I'd reckon PUBG is more fun alone even because you only got yourself to blame if you were killed.

My first 20 or so hours in PUBG were played solo and I enjoyed it well enough, but I've recently been playing some squad matches with some guys in the gbgaf discord. Now I don't think I could go back to solo, it's just nice to have something to entertain you during the inevitable downtime.

I wonder who else they've heard stories about.

There must be others like Nick who haven't been exposed yet.

This is the scariest part. The fact that the Overcook port was the thing to get the ball rolling is kind of sad, like really sad. However, in their situation I wouldn't know what I would have done myself.
My first 20 or so hours in PUBG were played solo and I enjoyed it well enough, but I've recently been playing some squad matches with some guys in the gbgaf discord. Now I don't think I could go back to solo, it's just nice to have something to entertain you during the inevitable downtime.
I haven't played with other people in PUBG but I have enjoyed it the few times I have played it here and there. It's just that the amount of games out right now makes it hart for me to spend alot of time on one MP game. I'd rather play different games and shit.

I wonder who else they've heard stories about.

There must be others like Nick who haven't been exposed yet.

This is the scariest part. The fact that the Overcook port was the thing to get the ball rolling is kind of sad, like really sad. However, in their situation I wouldn't know what I would have done myself.

Right. Its a small industry. Alot of times even if you know shit, you cant really say anything. Like they said, it tends to be hush hush "what did they say" kind of talk.

Austin was on CoolGames Inc within the past year. i’d like to think he wouldn’t go on that show if he had known about Nick at that time

Curufinwe

Honestly, I don't have a problem with Mario Maker being the GOTY that year.

I will be a little bothered if the game they stream a lot wins GOTY 3 years in a row. It makes the GOTY discussions boring.

Vinny always says GotY isn't a vote, but I think a straight vote on MM vs MGSV would have been fairer than the boss man railroading his favorite of the two into first place.

Strax

The point he was making the court of public opinion is different than the court of public law. Those shitlords are conflating the two knowingly in order to discredit the people who came out and said "yeah nicks said some creepy stuff towards me.", because those shitlords want "proof" in order to know who they can harass.

And seeing as how Austin and Danielle had heard stories of Nick befote it blew up, yeah they would have to tackle the subject differently, but that doesnt mean they couldnt cover it normally by offering a personally neutral article/story.

Yeah maybe. I hope I misunderstood Patrick but that came off poorly imo.

Add me up on steam unknown_heroic, did you get the 15 bones version?

siege is so good

If you are gonna get it for PC, let me know. We can definitely play together. (I just got it, it's downloading now).

F0TTye4.gif

This warms my heart. Siege is indeed so good especially with the fuck ton of characters and maps they have right now.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Actually it's probably on me for not really giving a shit about Polygon but I actually had no idea Nick Robinson became such a big personality over there. I still really only know him as a former intern.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've been replaying GTA 4 and man that's not a game I thought would be a weird little time bubble but it totally is

i'm getting old

chrixter

Vinny always says GotY isn't a vote, but I think a straight vote on MM vs MGSV would have been fairer than the boss man railroading his favorite of the two into first place.
Vinny asked for a vote and Mario Maker won like 5 to 3.

Still, it can't be overstated how much passion Jeff has for Mario Maker. It's the only game to make his all-time favorites list since Persona 4. It's the only non-shooter (somewhat loosely defined) among his personal GOTYs over the past decade. He believes it's the best thing Nintendo has made since Ocarina of Time and the best game GB has ever chosen for GOTY. He mentioned recently that he's still playing the game. We're talking Brad + Dota 2 levels of love here.

Let's also remember Dan said MGSV is one of the ten best games he's ever played and still ranks Mario Maker above it.

Metal Gear Scanlon himself voted for Mario Maker over MGSV and ranked it higher on his year-end list.

Strax

Vinny asked for a vote and Mario Maker won like 5 to 3.

Still, it can't be overstated how much passion Jeff has for Mario Maker. It's the only game to make his all-time favorites list since Persona 4. It's the only non-shooter (somewhat loosely defined) among his personal GOTYs over the past decade. He believes it's the best thing Nintendo has made since Ocarina of Time and the best game GB has ever chosen for GOTY. He mentioned recently that he's still playing the game. We're talking Brad + Dota 2 levels of love here.

Let's also remember Dan said MGSV is one of the ten best games he's ever played and still ranks Mario Maker above it.

Metal Gear Scanlon himself voted for Mario Maker over MGSV and ranked it higher on his year-end list.

Well.

5-6 of the duders wanted to put Rocket League above Mario Maker.

Joeku

I've been replaying GTA 4 and man that's not a game I thought would be a weird little time bubble but it totally is

i'm getting old

I have no doubt that the first time your cell rings in a shitty car and your TV makes that believable intermittent buzzing interference noise we all instinctively reached for our cell phones.

Edit: Oh shit is GBGAF gonna give me a reason to get back into Seige!? I have had it installed but untouched for months!

Antiwhippy

Dan 2015: "Mario Maker is the game I will play for the rest of my life."

Dan 2016: "I played way more splatoon this year than mario maker."

Joeku

Dan 2015: "Mario Maker is the game I will play for the rest of my life."

Dan 2016: "I played way more splatoon this year than mario maker."

One of the things that actually annoys me about Dan (hi Dan!) versus the fun "haha Dan that scamp is frustrating" is this. He seemingly knows how far out in the future he'll engage in a thing, as though anyone could? It's placing a large value judgment on stuff before the fact, and that's strange and offputting.

MM vs MGSV wasn't even really the argument in the end, I think Rocket League would have won handily if Mario Maker hadn't been at the top.

Hahaha so happy for Austin and Patrick. Giant Bomb will never win cause they don't play like a team tbh

I feel they have to play to win. And that means making concessions, IE not firing blindly or just looting all game and running away.

And that's not what they do? Well, 1 or 2 people tend to not play like that and seemt o play just for laughs or for the stream. Which I mean it's fine, but that can be frustrating..

One of the things that actually annoys me about Dan (hi Dan!) versus the fun "haha Dan that scamp is frustrating" is this. He seemingly knows how far out in the future he'll engage in a thing, as though anyone could? It's placing a large value judgment on stuff before the fact, and that's strange and offputting.

Using the example you're quoting, he's not wrong either way.

"I will play Mario Maker forever" gives him whatever leeway he wants to play it this year, next year, 10 years... down the road. He was just saying that he felt it was a game he could always go back to.

I don't think him playing a ton of Splatoon 2 invalidates his feelings on the other game.

Antiwhippy

I think he's just very hyperbolic.

You see it with Brad too lol. I lost count of the amount of times he said "This is the best [blank] ever" during goty.

"I will play Mario Maker forever" gives him whatever leeway he wants to play it this year, next year, 10 years... down the road. He was just saying that he felt it was a game he could always go back to.

I don't think him playing a ton of Splatoon 2 invalidates his feelings on the other game.

I'm talking about 2016, so splatoon 1.

The only reason I'm not playing Super Mario Maker every day is that it's not out on the Switch. As soon as the inevitable sequel comes along, it will rule my life.

Joeku

Mario Maker isn't a good example maybe, because yeah, of course that's almost endlessly replayable. But he absolutely assigns time values in months and years to games as he's playing them or has just played them. If I can find an example on Youtube or something I'll post it; it weirds me out.

I think he's just very hyperbolic.

You see it with Brad too lol. I lost count of the amount of times he said "This is the best [blank] ever" during goty.

I'm talking about 2016, so splatoon 1.

I stand corrected sir.

Mario Maker isn't a good example maybe, because yeah, of course that's almost endlessly replayable. But he absolutely assigns time values in months and years to games as he's playing them or has just played them. If I can find an example on Youtube or something I'll post it; it weirds me out.

It's all good, I wasn't trying to be as argumentative as that possibly came off. I know (vaguely) what you mean, but I think he just gets hyped about things when he really likes them.

If you want to find an example, go for it, but I'm not gonna hold you to having to find one or anything, haha.

District 13 is a terrible movie that has some cool moments in it.

Nope. Especially when you compare the stunts and action it has to other action films in 2004(Kung Fu Hustle is on a whole other level tho). Maybe you mean the sequel? I haven't seen the sequel but I haven't heard great stuff about it when compared to the first one. I also haven't seen the movie since 2005/2006 lol but I still remember some of the action scenes.

Top Bottom