• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

I'm planning on getting Tacoma but not for a while. Will watching the quick look ruin anything? I've been avoiding it since it's such a short game

danm999

Vinny always says GotY isn't a vote, but I think a straight vote on MM vs MGSV would have been fairer than the boss man railroading his favorite of the two into first place.

The two people at Giant Bomb who liked MGSV enough to do a play through that year both put Mario Maker higher in their personal lists.

danm999

But more people had MGSV higher or 1st on their list than Mario Maker. Plus Dan kinda ruined Drew's chances of enjoying the game with his "tips."

Counting em now;

Jeff, Dan, Drew and Alex put Mario Maker higher.

Brad, Vinny and Jason put MGSV higher.

Austin put neither on.

That's 4-3 for Mario Maker.

Counting em now;

Jeff, Dan, Drew and Alex put Mario Maker higher.

Brad, Vinny and Jason put MGSV higher.

Austin put neither on.

That's 4-3 for Mario Maker.

If you count the actual rankings on their personal lists Metal Gear was way higher overall. I remember a handy chart going around back then but couldn't find it.

danm999

If you count the actual rankings on their personal lists Metal Gear was way higher overall. I remember a handy chart going around back then but couldn't find it.

They don't finalise positions on their personal lists until after deliberations, so even if you assign point values to something (ie; a #1 placement is worth 10 points, #2 is 9 and so on) that didn't exist in the room.

All that mattered in the room was more people preferred Mario Maker.

Going through the personal lists now.

People who put MGSV higher:

Brad, Vinny, Jason

People who put Mario Maker higher:

Dan, Drew, Alex, Jeff

So no, doesn't check out. Austin had neither game in his top 10.

Toparaman

Banned
The important thing is that games get recognized for their accomplishments, and that's why the GotY podcasts are so great. Awareness of what games are out there, combined with personal taste, ultimately dictate what a person chooses to play.

The important thing is that games get recognized for their accomplishments, and that's why the GotY podcasts are so great. Awareness of what games are out there, combined with personal taste, ultimately dictate what a person chooses to play.

For sure!

Would never have checked out Invisible Inc had it not been for Austin, ended up being one of my favourite games of the year.

danm999

Also not for nothing, but when it comes to the actual game of the year argument the three most vocal and argumentative people are usually Jeff, Brad and Alex.

Pit two of them against one and the one will typically lose.

killroy87

Just catching up on UPF, and it featured some of my favorite content; Rorie pestering the crew with questions from chat, and none of them giving a fuuuuuuuuck.

Alex - MM - 10 MGS - Absent
Jeff - MM - 1 MGS - 2
Jason - MM - Absent MGS - 2
Vinny - MM - Absent MGS - 1
Brad - MM - Absent MGS - 1
Drew - MM 3 MGS - 4
Dan - MM - 1 MGS - 2

Putting the numbers together on second look, MGS places in everyone's top 5 with the exception of Alex.

Mario Maker on the other hand is absent from three staff members, but in the top 3 of Jeff, Drew and Dan.

That said, even though I never played Mario Maker, it was so clearly the game of the year just like Hitman was last year. I personally prefer it when they go for the game that captivates staff members attention rather then the overall best. I think Jeff and Dan loved Mario Maker far more then anyone loved Metal Gear Solid.

Y'all complaining about 2015 when you should still be complaining about 2010 where Brad destroyed the legitimacy of any and all past and future awards with his hourlong filibuster for best DLC when everyone else wanted Shadow Broker and agreed with him on Minerva's Den just to shush him up, and him single-handedly denying Life is Beautiful as best song and Francis York Morgan as best character, presumably because he did so poorly against the final boss in Deadly Premonition and almost got himself into an unwinnable state.

/s heavy sarcasm

What do you mean by the Abby point? As far as Vinny goes, he talks about what he's been doing every week and I feel like he actually really tries to make time for games despite his busy home life with the kids and whatnot. I don't think Brad even talked about what he played on this week's bombcast in his round of "whacha been playing"
Sorry, the Abby point was due to her takimg some of the production duties off Vinny.

If you watch the video, you'll notice he had 0 kills until the final 3. This is a completely legitimate strategy in Solo, not so much in Squads.

Mhm

I feel if the squad went for the stealth option they'd do better? Like if everyone played like Dan. Sure it'd be boring but it's a legit way to play.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I'm kind of burnt out on OW, Titanfall and Splatoon 2 hasn't really grabbed me much so I've been trying to find an upcoming MP shooter that interests me. Long story short, I watched some COD WWII gameplay and were COD MP maps always this small or am I mis remembering?

Top Bottom