• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Yes, which I think can be cool. In this game it seems rather stupid though. All the walking around and lame pzzles again would be super boring.

It's not like Ninja Theory games are particularly hard it's probably not an issue. I'm looking forward to the first thread that's "Why did nobody tell me that Hellblade deletes my save?!?!" Followed by a thread that back fires on the poster, because of whatever reason.

Hasney

It's not like Ninja Theory games particularly hard it's probably not an issue. I'm looking forward to the first thread that's "Why did nobody tell me that Hellblade deletes my save?!?!"

Everyone should be told all things in advance

"Oh, don't level up Aerith she dies!"

Yes, which I think can be cool. In this game it seems rather stupid though. All the walking around and lame pzzles again would be super boring.

I just saw the same tweeted by Mark Brown (Game Maker's Toolkit) and yeah, that alone might not make Hellblade for me. Looks great though.

oti

Banned
Really curious about that Metroid QL EX. They're pretty rare these days but GB sure didn't want to pass up the chance to see the game. Albeit with a Nintendo PR person chained to the the demo unit or something.

Really curious about that Metroid QL EX. They're pretty rare these days but GB sure didn't want to pass up the chance to see the game. Albeit with a Nintendo PR person chained to the the demo unit or something.

Yeah, I'll probably end up watching it just because I'm interested in the game.

Everyone should be told all things in advance

"Oh, don't level up Aerith she dies!"
I think the game tells you upfront that's how everyone is finding out about it. I'd feel bad for anyone who unknowingly had that happen to them. I look forward to the dogpile and finger pointing not laughing that person's misery.

Hasney

I think the game tells you upfront that's how everyone is finding out about it. I'd feel bad for anyone who unknowingly had that happen to them. I look forward to the dogpile and finger pointing not laughing that person's misery.

Ah, I just saw the Tweets in the review thread. I thought it wasn't known.

Zaph

it really was one of Nintendo's weirdest moments

giphy.gif

Nintendo attitude era would be like:

9b6e71601455400a19857359b9082c74--gameboy-videogames.jpg

Ah, I just saw the Tweets in the review thread. I thought it wasn't known.

I went looking and maybe it doesn't? Apparently Jim Sterling's 1/10 is because he died too many times and didn't realize that's what happened? I can't tell the game should really tell you assuming it's like an 7-10 hour experience and not 3-4. If it was something shorter I think obfuscating it might not be a bad idea.

Hasney

I went looking and maybe it doesn't? Apparently Jim Sterling's 1/10 is because he died too many times and didn't realize that's what happened? I can't tell the game should really tell you assuming it's like an 7-10 hour experience and not 3-4. If it was something shorter I think obfuscating it might not be a bad idea.

The Jim Sterling thing was that he got "a bug" and then the dying deleting save files means he could not finish the game. Now the reviews down and people were pointing out he might have just missed a puzzle element instead of it being a bug, so dunno what's happening until he re-ups a review. He says he was just angry about it when he wrote the review.

oti

Banned

No. Sterling missed an item he needed and the game auto saved, blocking access to the critical item.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Huh, i was pretty interested in hellblade, but that ql kinda deflated me. Seriously, 1/3 of the gameplay is searching for runes in the environment that doesn't even really seem like it has a narrative to it other than being something else for you to do?

The other third is running through the gimmick of the level where it is mostly about you knowing where to run or you'll die?

And the combat is just Infinity Blade?

It doesn't even really seem to really try to tell its story through the gameplay other than a bunch of voices in your head and this dude talking to you from time to time. The dude's acting also seems real hokey.

Bummer.

Catvoca

Banned
The Jim Sterling thing was that he got "a bug" and then the dying deleting save files means he could not finish the game. Now the reviews down and people were pointing out he might have just missed a puzzle element instead of it being a bug, so dunno what's happening until he re-ups a review. He says he was just angry about it when he wrote the review.

His save never got deleted, he just got stopped by a bug.

oti

Banned
Huh, i was pretty interested in hellblade, but that ql kinda deflated me. Seriously, 1/3 of the gameplay is searching for runes in the environment that doesn't even really seem like it has a narrative to it other than being something else for you to do?

The other third is running through the gimmick of the level where it is mostly about you knowing where to run or you'll die?

And the combat is just Infinity Blade?

It doesn't even really seem to really try to tell its story through the gameplay other than a bunch of voices in your head and this dude talking to you from time to time. The dude's acting also seems real hokey.

Bummer.

I was really captivated by her performance to be honest.

Antiwhippy

Yeah she seems fine, i was more talking about the dude.

I dunno, I'll probably pick it up later this year, but that ql convinced me to just wait.

Brad saying that the quick look it's 100% of what he did in the game is alarming.

oti

Banned
Speaking of things that Brad says: I reached the Best Debut part in the 2010 GOTY podcast. Brad says Limbo moved its genre forward. Jeff and I had pretty much the same reaction to that statement.

Speaking of things that Brad says: I reached the Best Debut part in the 2010 GOTY podcast. Brad says Limbo moved its genre forward. Jeff and I had pretty much the same reaction to that statement.

Brad is right, though. Limbo inspired a generation of imitators and firmly re-established the atmospheric/cinematic platformer genre. To this day there are games clearly inspired by it being released.

Hasney

Brad is right, though. Limbo inspired a generation of imitators and firmly re-established the atmospheric/cinematic platformer genre. To this day there are games clearly inspired by it being released.

But that's not moving it forward. That's bringing it back.

It didn't do anything better that hadn't already been done.

The aesthetic of that new Ninja Theory game really reminds me of Zeno Clash, which was enough to pique my interest from just screenshots, but the gameplay looks a little boring. I might pick it up based on Brad's glowing comments about it on Gaf, though.

I never played Enslaved and have no opinion on it, but anytime I'm reminded of that game I can't help but listen to Ryan's artful takedown of people who liked Enslaved.

Jintor

i am a sucker for journey to the west stuff though.

although making trip a girl is really weird given the rampant homoeroticism you can read into the original

oti

Banned

Limbo showed the world a game doesn't have to be good to be rewarded as long it looks neat and is "mysterious". That's all it did. The genre of puzzle platformers gained nothing from Limbo.

Catvoca

Banned
The fact that a bunch of game reviewers were able to beat Hell Blade without the perma-death stuff kicking in tells me that the game is piss easy and I don't need to worry about it.

The more I play Splatoon 2, the more Alex is right about making more guns available at the start. The feeling of getting outplayed by a better gun as opposed to a better player is not how I want to spend my first 10 hours of this game, especially when I am at level 5 consistently getting matched with people anywhere from 15-35.

I don't think I have ever played a game that Nintendo got so much in its own way of keeping it from being truly great before. There are simply way too many objectively bad choices made when it comes to online.

Zaph

damn, Hellblade opens strong.

If you use headphones like it asks you to, the binaural voices are fairly unsettling.

The fact that a bunch of game reviewers were able to beat Hell Blade without the perma-death stuff kicking in tells me that the game is piss easy and I don't need to worry about it.
So far it feels like it's mostly there to help set the tone of the game, rather than something you need to really worry about.

To Totalbiscuit's tweet :

You know, I feel like there's always waves every few months/years of "Hey, I wish someone would made a game that deleted your save when you died. It'd be so awesome to have your playthrough mean that much."... and now that it's in a game everyone pisses their pants in rage about it.

Antiwhippy

The more I play Splatoon 2, the more Alex is right about making more guns available at the start. The feeling of getting outplayed by a better gun as opposed to a better player is not how I want to spend my first 10 hours of this game, especially when I am at level 5 consistently getting matched with people anywhere from 15-35.

I don't think I have ever played a game that Nintendo got so much in its own way of keeping it from being truly great before. There are simply way too many objectively bad choices made when it comes to online.

I agree too, but also I've seen people also dominate with the starting weapon, so it's more of a "let people know what their actual preference is at the start" rather than a "just unlock better weapons" kind of thing.

But that's not moving it forward. That's bringing it back.

It didn't do anything better that hadn't already been done.
Except bringing the genre back? Plus its striking visual style was a big step forward in establishing their niche. Oti is kind of touching on why it works, indirectly.

I haven't heard Brad's argument for Limbo recently, so note that that's my take on it.
I'll just leave this here.

Roguelitelites live a hard, misunderstood life.

(And yes, I know it's not in any way a traditional rogueanything. But permanence in regards to loss is automatically roguelike these days.)

Antiwhippy

I don't really mind the save deletion thing as long as there's a strong, narrative reason for it.

Seems like the game gives you ample warning anyways.

Top Bottom