• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Xater

So because my notebook won't run DOTA2 well I looked for a different fix. TI just had me wanting to play MOBAs. So I turned to LEague because it runs on any potato. I started to actually enjoy it, but it's also the worst just like DOTA2. Don't be like me and start enjoying MOBAs. #PSA

So because my notebook won't run DOTA2 well I looked for a different fix. TI just had me wanting to play MOBAs. So I turned to LEague because it runs on any potato. I started to actually enjoy it, but it's also the worst just like DOTA2. Don't be like me and start enjoying MOBAs. #PSA

Time sinks without end games are a big deterrent for me. I'd say FFXIV is borderline too much and is probably why I bounce in and out.

oti

Banned
I've played over 60h of Splatoon and all I want to do is play more Splatoon. That game is addictive as heck.

I played a couple of games of HotS and I can see where the fascination comes from. It's just too... boring.

Also tried Paragon like a year ago on PS4, but that was just really confusing.

I wonder what Nintendo will do with the genre. They must be working on a Moba-ish game, right? They just have to.

Xater

Time sinks without end games are a big deterrent for me. I'd say FFXIV is borderline too much and is probably why I bounce in and out.

Matches can be long, but they are at least just matches and you can quit after any one of them. If I ever started to really enjoy a MMO it would be the worst. Those never really end or lend themselves to just quit because it was a natural point to stop playing. I still remember how bad my WoW addiction was. I went cold turkey on that one after the first expansion.

I played a couple of games of HotS and I can see where the fascination comes from. It's just too... boring.

Also tried Paragon like a year ago on PS4, but that was just really confusing.

I wonder what Nintendo will do with the genre. They must be working on a Moba-ish game, right? They just have to.

HOTS is actually one of the most exciting MOBAs if your get into it. You can start team fights super early in it and that is fun.

Paragon has changed a lot. They actually just released a patch that completely revamped the card system and game balance. I still play that from time to time as well if I need a MOBA on my couch. Yes, that's how bad it is. I have two MOBAs. One for the desk and one for the couch.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I want to play more Splatoon 2 also but i haven't really played much of it for awhile other than the splatfest.

It's not splatoon's fault though that it isn't as amazing as dj max.

Hasney

I was totally hooked on FFXIV when I got into it and just finished before Heavensward, then took a break and I tried getting back into it before Stormblood and I just couldn't. If I'm not all in on those games, I just can't be in at all.

Wunder

Matches can be long, but they are at least just matches and you can quit after any one of them. If I ever started to really enjoy a MMO it would be the worst. Those never really end or lend themselves to just quit because it was a natural point to stop playing. I still remember how bad my WoW addiction was. I went cold turkey on that one after the first expansion.

HOTS is actually one of the most exciting MOBAs if your get into it. You can start team fights super early in it and that is fun.

Paragon has changed a lot. They actually just released a patch that completely revamped the card system and game balance. I still play that from time to time as well if I need a MOBA on my couch. Yes, that's how bad it is. I have two MOBAs. One for the desk and one for the couch.

I tried Paragon but it didn't really stick. Gigantic is pretty fun though!

EtxAt5C.jpg

---

So, this shirt just arrived....

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Diablo 2 has permadeath, people didnt complain.

That was an option though, and the original game was built around it. Hellblade doesn't look in any way to be the kind of game that somebody might want to replay after repeated failures.

Doesn't mean they can't design the game that way, but it does look like another poor design decision.

Wunder

I would love to give Gigantic a shot, but I have no Xbox around. It does actually look quite fun. I am also really into the art of that game and they have some really fun characters. O love this guy:

yeah the characters are pretty good and the art is consistent. It gives me the same feeling that a Paragon or Smite does but without all the hassle of cards and stuff. The HOTS of third person MOBAs

Hindl

I've played over 60h of Splatoon and all I want to do is play more Splatoon. That game is addictive as heck.
I'm not quite dying to play it all the time but I do play a few matches every night. I was surprised though, when the activity log finally unlocked I was expecting somewhere in the 5-10 hour range, but I've played it for 20 hours since the Monday after its release. And I was away for a whole weekend in there too. Crazy how it sucked me in, although I think the ability to play it in tabletop mode with my Pro Controller in front of my desktop, as opposed to handling the awkward Wii U gamepad, probably helps too
Lol
That shit ain't ripe
You're right but fun fact. If you want to know if a pineapple is ripe, pull out one of the leaves on top. If it comes out with little resistance, it's ready

Xater

yeah the characters are pretty good and the art is consistent. It gives me the same feeling that a Paragon or Smite does but without all the hassle of cards and stuff. The HOTS of third person MOBAs

Sounds wonderful. Maybe it will find it's way to PS4 eventually or I will get a gaming PC down the line and then I can give it a shot.

This Dan Tweet is just amazing. I can't believe this man is as old as I am.

unbenanntavk4u.png

Once I'll play it I will probably agree with him and that somewhat upsets me.

I would love to give Gigantic a shot, but I have no Xbox around. It does actually look quite fun. I am also really into the art of that game and they have some really fun characters. O love this guy:

Gigantic is on PC too if that helps you at all? That's where I've played a ton and have had a pretty good time with it.

---------------------------

Unreleated note - I just got my Sine Mora EX key from THQ, and I'm beyond stoked to play that game again. I almost 100% it on Xbox 360 when it came out years ago, so I'm ready for some more bullet hell bullshit nonsense, haha.

Is permadeath really a controversial thing in 2017? I thought it was just Jim and TotalBiscuit taking issue with it.
3WpMrtj.png

Hope we have an interesting Bombcast

I haven't played Hellblade, but I'm glad Brad is standing up for unorthodox design choices in video games. It can have a profound effect on how, well, effective the game is at conveying itself. Flipping the script shouldn't be taboo in video games.

Like, I've been playing a lot of Warframe, and it goes some pretty amazing places when it wants to, in terms of narrative and conveying that narrative through gameplay mechanics. If Warframe used its standard mechanics to convey the story, it wouldn't be nearly as effective as it is. (I'm being vague 'cause it's really something one should experience for themselves. I absolutely love it and highly recommend it to everyone.)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I know, but if my notebook can#t run DOTA2 well, I doubt Gigantic will work. ;)

Does Dota 2 still have that vaseline mode that renders everything poorly so it can run on lower end computers? I used that when I had a bad laptop years ago. It's amazingly ugly but it's still dota so it worked.

Xater

Does Dota 2 still have that vaseline mode that renders everything poorly so it can run on lower end computers? I used that when I had a bad laptop years ago. It's amazingly ugly but it's still dota so it worked.

Yeah, but I don't enjoy palying much when it looks like that. League is fine. I warmed up to it. It actually does some stuff better than DOTA, not everything mind.

oti

Banned
Is permadeath really a controversial thing in 2017? I thought it was just Jim and TotalBiscuit taking issue with it.

I haven't played Hellblade, but I'm glad Brad is standing up for unorthodox design choices in video games. It can have a profound effect on how, well, effective the game is at conveying itself. Flipping the script shouldn't be taboo in video games.

Like weapon breaking. 🤔

Top Bottom