• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

kiguel182

I loved Limbo. Amazing art style and really enjoyable puzzles.

The physics puzzles were pretty cool.

Edit : also, total biscuit is an ass. What a surprise...

BTA

The more I play Splatoon 2, the more Alex is right about making more guns available at the start. The feeling of getting outplayed by a better gun as opposed to a better player is not how I want to spend my first 10 hours of this game, especially when I am at level 5 consistently getting matched with people anywhere from 15-35.

I don't think I have ever played a game that Nintendo got so much in its own way of keeping it from being truly great before. There are simply way too many objectively bad choices made when it comes to online.

I guess I'm wondering how you even intuit that "better" weapons are to blame? To be fair I've only played a little Turf War in 2 so far and am only level 7 due to focusing on single player and Salmon Run (I hit Profreshional last night), but I've never felt like I was splatted due to a weapon being overpowered or something like that. If I get splatted, it's usually because I was doing something dumb like charging the opponent when I should have ran away.

If anything, the reason for more guns early on is just so players can find one that fits their play style (or rather, find a play style they like) faster. Thankfully I've found myself enjoying the basic Roller quite a bit, so I've mainly stuck with that in my Turf War games and been just fine. Though maybe that obscures me seeing this, since I'm playing a different "class"?

Xater

The fact that a bunch of game reviewers were able to beat Hell Blade without the perma-death stuff kicking in tells me that the game is piss easy and I don't need to worry about it.

I watched stream with a guy getting downed multiple times in a single fight. I doubt it's a huge issue. I would still question the idea in the context of this game, no matter how much it might make sense in the narrative.

I just think Hellblade looks a bit boring, but I am curious to see how the game handles mental illness. It's something I am sensitive about. I'll probably play it eventually when it goes on sale. I have a certain academic curiosity you could say.

Hasney

I'll just leave this here.

Totalbiscuit hating on it is the only thing making me want to take a closer look at this game. I actually do love the idea of the death mechanic, assuming it is communicated up front.

I watched stream with a guy getting downed multiple times in a single fight. I doubt it's a huge issue. I would still question the idea in the context of this game, no matter how much it might make sense in the narrative.

The difficulty is dynamic by default, so with that enabled, it does get easier as you go if you suck.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The fact that a bunch of game reviewers were able to beat Hell Blade without the perma-death stuff kicking in tells me that the game is piss easy and I don't need to worry about it.

The quick look makes it looks like there a major recurring gameplay sequence where you die simply by not knowing where to go.

Xater

Betting time: What will be the bigger bomb this month? Lawbreakers or Agents of Mayhem?

It feels like there is like zero buzz around either, but I can't really blame people for that. It's not like I am really interested in those either. Especially after having tried Lawbreakers.

Jintor

The more I play Splatoon 2, the more Alex is right about making more guns available at the start. The feeling of getting outplayed by a better gun as opposed to a better player is not how I want to spend my first 10 hours of this game, especially when I am at level 5 consistently getting matched with people anywhere from 15-35.

I don't think I have ever played a game that Nintendo got so much in its own way of keeping it from being truly great before. There are simply way too many objectively bad choices made when it comes to online.

there's no 'better gun', just guns you're not used to yet.

but imho base weapons should be available from the start or to be unlocked for multi via singleplayer. At least the base weapons of each 'type' before you start splitting into varients.

if there's one piece of advice I can give you about splatoon it's that it's a game almost entirely about predicting your enemy and flanking. you should NEVER get into a head-to-head firefight because even if you have perfect aim you will still just trade deaths 70-80% of the time.

it's a game almost entirely about ambushing and surprising your enemy

Betting time: What will be the bigger bomb this month? Lawbreakers or Agents of Mayhem?

It feels like there is like zero buzz around either, but I can't really blame people for that. It's not like I am really interested in those either. Especially after having tried Lawbreakers.

Lawbreakers. I was given a couple free codes for their Beta back when it was starting, and I couldn't give them away, haha. I barely even tried it after seeing a video or two.

Xater

there's no 'better gun', just guns you're not used to yet.

but imho base weapons should be available from the start or to be unlocked for multi via singleplayer. At least the base weapons of each 'type' before you start splitting into varients.

Yup, like in every other shooter. I mean ever since COD4 you got at least 1 weapon from each category right from the get go. That helps finding your favorites and you could spend your hard earned coins more wisely.

All I know about agents of mayhem is that neogaf had the sickest unintentional burn on it.

It was so good I almost wrote that instead of the real title.

I guess I'm wondering how you even intuit that "better" weapons are to blame? To be fair I've only played a little Turf War in 2 so far and am only level 7 due to focusing on single player and Salmon Run (I hit Profreshional last night), but I've never felt like I was splatted due to a weapon being overpowered or something like that. If I get splatted, it's usually because I was doing something dumb like charging the opponent when I should have ran away.

If anything, the reason for more guns early on is just so players can find one that fits their play style (or rather, find a play style they like) faster. Thankfully I've found myself enjoying the basic Roller quite a bit, so I've mainly stuck with that in my Turf War games and been just fine. Though maybe that obscures me seeing this, since I'm playing a different "class"?

Maybe it is a combination of better weapon and better player, but either way I feel this game is super punishing to casual players, I almost never get matched with people anywhere near my level.

imBask

Banned

Probably Lawbreakers, but Agents of Mayhem looks really bad

Oakinn

Lawbreakers isnt full price. That alone gives it the edge over AOM. I tried the LB beta and hated it. The modes are strange and the shooting/movement, while feeling tight at times, gives way to the anti gravity garbage during most battles.

imBask

Banned
Lawbreakers isnt full price. That alone gives it the edge over AOM. I tried the LB beta and hated it. The modes are strange and the shooting/movement, while feeling tight at times, gives way to the anti gravity garbage during most battles.

yeaaaah but, Lawbreakers looks like the type of game that will have 1000 concurrent player a week after launch and that always looks way worse than a single player game getting bad reviews, that's the only reason i'm thinking Lawbreakers over AoM

It bothers me that everyone has kept this 1099 podcast a secret until now. I'm looking through the feed, I missed out on a lot and now it's outdated.

BTA

It bothers me that everyone has kept this 1099 podcast a secret until now. I'm looking through the feed, I missed out on a lot and now it's outdated.

Yeah, I'm sad to have only heard about it due to some stuff from Vinny's episode getting misreported in the new hires thread a while ago; it's really rad and I need to get on listening to the other staff interviews already.

LiK

Hellblade is getting really good reviews. Not gonna judge it from a QL. Cuz sometimes they don't show all the strengths of a game.

I don't remember this. I sure did hate Enslaved though. That game is real awful, much like all of the other Ninja Theory games I've played.

(to be fair, DMC was real mediocre and boring, not quite awful...but almost awful)
You need to play more games then if you think Ninja Theory games are "real awful". I'll give you a few

Batman: Dark Tomorrow, Charlie's Angels, Bruce Lee: Quest of the Dragon and Sonic 2006 just to name a few. Because that's what I think of when I think real awful.

I keep posting about it whenever he interviews a GB duder.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
You need to play more games then if you think Ninja Theory games are "real awful". I'll give you a few

Batman: Dark Tomorrow, Charlie's Angels, Bruce Lee: Quest of the Dragon and Sonic 2006 just to name a few. Because that's what I think of when I think real awful.

I keep posting about it whenever he interviews a GB duder.

There was nothing redeeming about the gameplay of Enslaved and it was a slog to get through for a fine but not outstanding story. Just because it had a lot of money (compared to the games that are apparently acceptable to be called bad) thrown into making it awful doesn't change how bad it was.

Santar

The Dave Lang episode is great!
So much fascinating stuff on the behind the scenes of game development. A lot of excellent questions and answers in that episode.

There was nothing redeeming about the gameplay of Enslaved and it was a slog to get through for a fine but not outstanding story. Just because it had a lot of money thrown into making it awful doesn't change how bad it was.

Everything from the characters to the story ranged from good to great in Enslaved and especially Heavenly Sword. Gameplay on both I'd agree is definitely not the standout however, what I mentioned are the standouts and if such things don't hold alot of weight to you in a game then I could see why it would be awful to you.

I recently finished Get Even and that game has terrible FPS segments but aside from that it does some ambitious stuff for a downloadable B game when it comes to the story and especially the soundtrack by Olivier Deriviere.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Everything from the characters to the story ranged from good to great in Enslaved and especially Heavenly Sword. Gameplay on both I'd agree is definitely not the standout however, what I mentioned were and if such things don't hold alot of weight to you then I could see why it would be awful to you.

That's mostly it. Graphical fidelity and cut scene quality might actually be the last two things on the list if I ranked everything that I care about in a game.

That's mostly it. Graphical fidelity and cut scene quality might actually be the last two things on the list if I ranked everything that I care about in a game.

Which is very understandable. Now I completely get why it's awful to you and I think that's totally fair.
The 1099 with Brad was awesome. You don't get to hear him talk like that too often.
Yes, I wrote a few excerpts in the thread while listening. It was REAL good. Probably my favorite thing is when he said this

Grandiose and wrongheaded interpretations or wild conspiracy theories based on like off hand comments here and there is a whole separate can of worms that I don't know if I want to get into. People read alot of what they want and read into things that are said or not said or you know just goofy glances or whatever, I mean, it's a weird thing. I really don't know how to approach that stuff. People come up with some wild ideas.

Also when he talked about having that sense of wonder in the industry about other people and people watching GB content was really sweet and extremely humble.

Oakinn

Also when he talked about having that sense of wonder in the industry about other people and people watching GB content was really sweet and extremely humble.

Getting the inside look at Vinny going back and looking at Janinas tweets to them was outstanding. A small nugget of inside baseball.

danm999

Grandiose and wrongheaded interpretations or wild conspiracy theories based on like off hand comments here and there is a whole separate can of worms that I don't know if I want to get into. People read alot of what they want and read into things that are said or not said or you know just goofy glances or whatever, I mean, it's a weird thing. I really don't know how to approach that stuff. People come up with some wild ideas.

I knew Brad practiced Wicca.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

I understand that but also I play 90% of my matches with the Splattershot. I really don't feel like there are "better guns"

Bradcast was awesome. It was a reminder of just how thoughtful and articulate he is. He's those things on the bombcast too, but it was on display to an even greater extent with him as the sole focus of the show.

Ashby

It's an established trope by now of Nintendo taking a middling Western studio under their wing and great games coming out of that.

oti

Banned
New Metroid looks so much better than that 2D Castlevania they did. Seems like they learned the right lessons.

They must be under an enormous pressure. Pleasing Nintendo opens pretty much every door this industry has to offer.

Wait. This sounds wrong.

I'm totally getting Hellblade, not only does it look cool but I like the idea of appropriately priced, shorter games making a comeback. Not everything needs to be priced at $60 or have the scope of a $60 game and I'm more than happy to show I support that. Hopefully more of these AA Indie studios take note.

I'll just leave this here.

DGtmkLJXUAA5Jn6.jpg
https://twitter.com/britishgaming/status/894921797874962433

lol

Top Bottom