• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

There's an interesting history of games lying to players. Strategy games do it a lot, e.g. in Civ 4, I think it is, the AI actually doesn't suffer from fog of war--their individual units always have visibility of their full movement range when deciding where to go. And in XCOM 2, the aim percentages displayed to the player are all lies (except in the highest difficulty, again IIRC) in that they are actually higher than shown; there's a pity bonus added for every miss. Another one jumping out at me, though not a strategy game--Resident Evil 4 has an adaptive difficulty mechanic, where it gets easier or harder based on how you perform. I believe all were mentioned in interviews or postmortems somewhere.

It's a design decision to make the game more playable somehow.

Oh man. Whoopsy-daisy, TB.

I hadn't realised TB didn't even play the game...

strafer

i'm 27 and I never bought a pineapple, why would I go through this shitty process when I could just pay a dollar to get it already prepared

I ususally buy them in a can, they come like this.

UfDuOej.jpg

So good.

That's kind of a shame.

Not that the game works that way, but rather that it'll be known now, so people will sigh and go "well, I guess I can play it now" after flipping out about a thematic mechanic in a game they haven't played.

Yeah it seems like the anxiety worked with the story/character experience and I'm kinda upset that I won't get to feel that naturally.

If you haven't impaled your hand trying to pick up a pineapple you aren't living your life.
Yeah it seems like the anxiety worked with the story/character experience and I'm kinda upset that I won't get to feel that naturally.

Yeah, mechanical spoilers are a thing. I wasn't thinking when I asked for more info on it last page.

strafer

If you haven't impaled your hand trying to pick up a pineapple you aren't living your life.

Yeah, mechanical spoilers are a thing. I wasn't thinking when I asked for more info on it last page.

Oh I have, to the point of bleeding all over it. It's nasty. Thats when I gave up and just bought done.

daveo42

Banned
Guy at work brought me his copy of Nier to play. So I guess I'll be doing that for the foreseeable future. How long is a complete run of the game? I assume it's longer than Automata's run time.

Fried fruit yes/no

I've had fried plantains before, but they don't sell fried fruits at grocery stores if that is what you are asking. You mainly find those at state and county fairs. We aren't deep fried monsters all of the time.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
And here is the real punchline to TB flipping his shit:

Now that's hilarious, but it also shows the flaw with the idea that it only works for a brief time after release unless you play the game without hearing anything about it or looking into that mechanic at all.

Lari

I like buying pineapples or coconuts at the beach and seeing a guy with a huge machete whack these things into pieces while holding them in their hand.

It's a weird thrilling mix of fearing/wishing he would cut himself tho.

Now that's hilarious, but it also shows the flaw with the idea that it only works for a brief time after release unless you play the game without hearing anything about it or looking into that mechanic at all.
Kinda relevant, from the Hellblade permadeath thread:
gouIdow.png

At least it's not XCOM permadeath, where your dead soldiers can come back to life as a zombie, explode, and unleash another chrysallid onto the world.

Nah. TotalBiscuit is British and I saw someone say "forced permadeath is bollocks" in the Hellblade’s permadeath is a bluff thread so I'm pretty sure you all hate permadeath.

Don't worry, people on GAF are already calling those people cry babies and ruining the experience on a forum that talks about leaks and has discussions about games that haven't come out yet.

Hindl

I like buying pineapples or coconuts at the beach and seeing a guy with a huge machete whack these things into pieces while holding them in their hand.

It's a weird thrilling mix of fearing/wishing he would cut himself tho.
Oh my

Zaph

Kinda uncool for Brad to retweet that article - I was enjoying the tension of progress in Hellblade, even if it is quite easy.

His excuse the truth behind the mechanic wouldn't have stayed unspoiled past release day is kinda undercut by the fact I only know because his tweet was posted here. Maybe he assumes we all spend as much time on social media as he does? 🤔

Phatmac

I think I learned more about Brad than any video from this year with that podcast. He's gotta open up like this more often.

oti

Banned
Guy at work brought me his copy of Nier to play. So I guess I'll be doing that for the foreseeable future. How long is a complete run of the game? I assume it's longer than Automata's run time.

I've had fried plantains before, but they don't sell fried fruits at grocery stores if that is what you are asking. You mainly find those at state and county fairs. We aren't deep fried monsters all of the time.

You like fried fruit yes/no

Top Bottom