• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Isn't it like a 20 hour game or so?

HowLongToBeat list it at 25 hours, but Ben is moving at an even slower than normal pace.

Partially because they are only half paying attention to the game, which causes him to miss things that he needs to know.

The game gets worse about that later. It kind of expects you to pay attention to the cutscenes and what characters say. So it's almost the worst game to do this gimmick on. lol

Teddified

Yeah at later worlds if he doesn't know where to go cause of it being a week or not hearing the cutscene, he'd just have to run around to every location till something happens. I seem to remember the whale being somewhat confusing but that might just being younger at the time.

Yeah at later worlds if he doesn't know where to go cause of it being a week or not hearing the cutscene, he'd just have to run around to every location till something happens. I seem to remember the whale being somewhat confusing but that might just being younger at the time.

You wanna talk about confusing, Hollow Bastion is going to fuck things up if they don't roll through that in one go.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
HowLongToBeat list it at 25 hours, but Ben is moving at an even slower than normal pace.

Partially because they are only half paying attention to the game, which causes him to miss things that he needs to know.

The game gets worse about that later. It kind of expects you to pay attention to the cutscenes and what characters say. So it's almost the worst game to do this gimmick on. lol

All I'm saying is that you're real optimistic about when 3 will be released. :p

Wow, that moment where you actually get the Keyblade is pretty fuckin' anticlimactic.

Everything in the beginning of KH1 is anticlimatic at the time. It's only when you get the context for why those things are happening (mostly in BbS) that they become neat/interesting.

Zeroro

Everything in the beginning of KH1 is anticlimatic at the time. It's only when you get the context for why those things are happening (mostly in BbS) that they become neat/interesting.

I remember seeing commercials and the like for KH when I was a kid and actually wanting to play them. I never got the chance to play the games, but it seems way too far along and convoluted at this point for me to even bother.

If that thing Ben was talking about where he was told by fans of the series that you have to get into the stuff that isn't even the main titles (like that PSP game you're talking about) to get significant meaning/context for the story is true, then... yikes?

I would've probably been super into Kingdom Hearts right now if I had actually played it all the way back then.

you just triggered me with that :(

I remember seeing commercials and the like for KH when I was a kid and actually wanting to play them. I never got the chance to play the games, but it seems way too far along and convoluted at this point for me to even bother.

If that thing Ben was talking about where he was told by fans of the series that you have to get into the stuff that isn't even the main titles (like that PSP game you're talking about) to get significant meaning/context for the story is true, then... yikes?

I would've probably been super into Kingdom Hearts right now if I had actually played it all the way back then.

The biggest misconception of KH to me is that the non-numbered titles don't matter or are secondary.

Like BbS, even as a PSP game, is every bit as legit a KH game as there is. It's better than KH1, that's for sure. And it and DDD were made with the idea that they were mainline games, they just weren't numbered console titles. They were developed by Nomura though.

In all actuality, KH3 is actually the fifth mainline game. And while that is confusing to say, in execution the act of playing BbS or DDD is by no means a diminished experience.

Like if those games were titled "Kingdom Hearts 3" and "Kingdom Hearts 4", would it bother you less that they contain main story info? Or is it the fact that they were PSP/3DS titles? Because you can play them all on PS4 now.

Brad was talking about how he doesn't get why people would take issue to cosmetic microtransactions, as they don't intersect with the gameplay. What this doesn't take into consideration is the human element and the social environment put into play.

Something that I've always enjoyed about games was the general equalizer it provided among the people you played with -- in a game, everyone's the same, only being separated by how they play. This dynamic changes when someone strolls in with $10,000 of cosmetics on them and suddenly you're brought back to a reality of maybe yeah, you're living poor while someone else can spend willy nilly to peacock wherever they go. Something like this is especially apparent in Counter-Strike where they seemingly went out of their way to make you default with a butter knife while early beta footage had better looking default knives that were later re-introduced as cosmetic items to gamble over/buy at exorbitant price on the marketplace.

Customization is nice, it feels good to be able to individualize yourself and it's largely up to preference, so it also kind of sucks when things that are merely preferential have artificial rarity that makes it impractical to get.

Zeroro

The biggest misconception of KH to me is that the non-numbered titles don't matter or are secondary.

Like BbS, even as a PSP game, is every bit as legit a KH game as there is. It's better than KH1, that's for sure. And it and DDD were made with the idea that they were mainline games, they just weren't numbered console titles. They were developed by Nomura though.

Like in all actuality, KH3 is actually the fifth mainline game. And while that is confusing to say, in execution the act of playing BbS or DDD is by no means a diminished experience.

I actually think it'd be way easier to get into if the naming convention for games in the series wasn't so incredibly wack.

9EIXfwE.png

Even if you don't need to play everything in the list, this is still crazy.

I actually think it'd be way easier to get into if the naming convention for games in the series wasn't so incredibly wack.

9EIXfwE.png

Oh yeah, the naming conventions are completely stupid. That's Nomura at work.

Antiwhippy

Brad was talking about how he doesn't get why people would take issue to cosmetic microtransactions, as they don't intersect with the gameplay. What this doesn't take into consideration is the human element and the social environment put into play.

Something that I've always enjoyed about games was the general equalizer it provided among the people you played with -- in a game, everyone's the same, only being separated by how they play. This dynamic changes when someone strolls in with $10,000 of cosmetics on them and suddenly you're brought back to a reality of maybe yeah, you're living poor while someone else can spend willy nilly to peacock wherever they go. Something like this is especially apparent in Counter-Strike where they seemingly went out of their way to make you default with a butter knife while early beta footage had better looking default knives that were later re-introduced as cosmetic items to gamble over/buy at exorbitant price on the marketplace.

Customization is nice, it feels good to be able to individualize yourself and it's largely up to preference, so it also kind of sucks when things that are merely preferential have artificial rarity that makes it impractical to get.

It's kind of funny how much of that maps to sneaker culture haha.

9EIXfwE.png

This makes complete sense. Why do people keep saying Kingdom Hearts is convoluted nonsense again? /s

- J - D -

Honest question, if episode 2 is a solid indication of what's in store for Kingdom Heartache going forward, are any of you guys going to stick with it?

Hasney

Honest question, if episode 2 is a solid indication of what's in store for Kingdom Heartache going forward, are any of you guys going to stick with it?
Hell yes

Kingdom Heartache is almost unwatchable. Why do they keep doing full let's plays of the most boring games. ��

They've just done Yakuza 0, doing Kingdom Hearts, Mario Sunshine, XCOM and Mega Man so I have no idea where this is coming from. Unless you count PUBG as a let's play or something.

Meguro

Banned
They just need to get off Destiny's Island.
That's when KH actually becomes fun.
The intro to both mainline KH games is real bad.

Lunar FC

They've just done Yakuza 0, doing Kingdom Hearts, Mario Sunshine, XCOM and Mega Man so I have no idea where this is coming from. Unless you count PUBG as a let's play or something.

I personally find all those games boring to watch. Thankfully both the Sunshine and XCOM series have hooks to them that I find interesting.

Murder Island is great.

def sim

It's almost hard to believe the beginning of KH2 is even more dull. I get the joke they're going for in the feature, but I hope they can find a better balance of doing their gimmick and informing/having small talk. I don't want to be there watching this thing if they don't either, you know?

Anyway, I finally wrapped up Yakuza 0. Hell of a final segment. The series has a way of putting me off completely and then pulling me back in for more. I'll be getting Kiwami at launch, for sure.

Oh god no. It's amusing I'll give it that, but if it was KH2 or even Chain of Memories it'd be way more fun to watch. KH1 is just bad.

Antiwhippy

Huh, as someone who completely missed KH because I don't really give a shit about Disney, is 1 really considered bad? I thought it was pretty beloved.

As for if I'll watch the series hell yeah, mostly because I know nothing about KH at all.

Jesus christ, as a dude who is currently at Chernobog on the hard mode of the PS4 version of Kingdom Hearts and has a list of grievances towards the game...

Nine minutes into the second episode of Kingdom Heartache is freaking me out something fierce.

EDIT: Like christ on a bike, the game has enough bullshit with it's complete lack of understanding towards 3D game design... Ben's inability to feel the obtuse is making this a painful watch.

Jesus christ, as a dude who is currently at Chernobog on the hard mode of the PS4 version of Kingdom Hearts and has a list of grievances towards the game...

Nine minutes into the second episode of Kingdom Heartache is freaking me out something fierce.

EDIT: Like christ on a bike, the game has enough bullshit with it's complete lack of understanding towards 3D game design... Ben's inability to feel the obtuse is making this a painful watch.

It's definitely an obtuse game, and they're playing it up. I know some parts of KH were just so infuriating to play, and I feel that if Ben/Whoever in the rotating chair played it straight, it wouldn't be a fun series. Not saying it's fun right now but...its got potential.

patapuf

Yeah, I like the first KH and the rest of the game is more interesting that the start.

Most of their playthroughs are side conversation anyway. Exept for like... FMV games.

Antiwhippy

Watching giantbomb trying to figure out bullshit is part of the fun though.

Like, Mario sunshine.

Deadly premonition.

Etc. etc.

It's definitely an obtuse game, and they're playing it up. I know some parts of KH were just so infuriating to play, and I feel that if Ben/Whoever in the rotating chair played it straight, it wouldn't be a fun series. Not saying it's fun right now but...its got potential.

I sent him a tweet, I wonder if he even bothers reading them. It really seems like Square fielding out what you can and should do when developing a 3d game.

EDIT: I understand them trying to figure out, but it's seeing this shit...and picturing the fact that the takes a long time for a good air finisher to come in when you're fighting a bunch of floating enemies (and that landing recovery animation on Sora).

Watching giantbomb trying to figure out bullshit is part of the fun though.

Like, Mario sunshine.

Deadly premonition.

Etc. etc.

At least they seemed engaged with those games though. This KH series is just rough to watch.

EDIT: I think I'm gonna rewatch the Deadly Premonition endurance run now though.

Antiwhippy

That's because the beginning doesn't seem that engaging? They seem less engaged this episode because of the obtuseness of trying to find the items at the start, but the beginning seems super rough by today's standards.

As with all giantbomb playthroughs though, it's more the side conversations.

Apparently the game picks up from there.

That's because the beginning doesn't seem that engaging? They seem less engaged this episode because of the obtuseness of trying to find the items at the start, but the beginning seems super rough by today's standards.

Apparently the game picks up from there.
In terms of interest, yeah. In terms of quality... Game continues to be rough the entire journey.

EDIT: Don't take this as a slight towards Ben, all the love toward him.

Antiwhippy

In terms of interest, yeah. In terms of quality... Game continues to be rough the entire journey.

See, it's not really about how well the game plays. It's more about how much bullshit there is that is fun to see through.

Like Jeff's disbelief at how the keyblade was revealed.

This beginning part just seems boring really.

Giganteus

Kingdom Hearts is one of the few games I gave up on in its beginning stages. An irrational hatred was forming within me, like a Vinny hating Flower kind of irrational hatred, and it felt repulsive to slog through for some reason. No offense to KH fans. I assume it gets better as you get further into it, so I'm looking forward to seeing that with Kingdom Heartache.

There's also something infuriating about Sora's enormous dumb feet. I want to steal his shoes and hide them. Dude looks like such a jackass.

Hasney

Kingdom Hearts is one of the few games I gave up on in its beginning stages. An irrational hatred was forming within me, like a Vinny hating Flower kind of irrational hatred, and it felt repulsive to slog through for some reason. I assume it gets better as you get further into it, so I'm looking forward to seeing that with Kingdom Heartache. No offense to KH fans.

There's also something infuriating about Sora's enormous dumb feet. I want to steal his shoes and hide them. Dude looks like such a jackass.

I gave up o the PS3 verison in the fetch quest shit. The higher framerate and much, MUCH better load times made me sit through it.

I just finished it for the first time on proud on Saturday. Outside of the opening fetch, swimming and flying, I adored it.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, but I can't help but divorce myself from fights like the Alladin fight that is solely based around air combat where it takes more time setting up your ability to hit Jafar than actually hitting him since he wants to avoid being near the platforms that take at least two Sora climbing animations to get to.

And then you're rewarded with a boss fight of being able to hit Iago flying around with a lamp in a combat area that has moving platforms.

EDIT: And just to avoid any misinterpretation, no sarcasm bruh. I'm glad that you enjoyed the hours you spent with it.

Antiwhippy

I feel like a combination of disney + square enix style would create the most coyingly sincere thing and it's panning out so far from what I've seen.

So is the whole impetus behind the KH series "we're gonna make a shitty video series and it'll be funny because it's shitty"? Because it sure is shitty watching 2 people sit there play a game that neither of them want to play or watch

Top Bottom