• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Diancecht

I love GB and been following them since the basement days but West isn't doing it for me anymore. The last time I've endured any West content from start to finish has to be around when Ben joined the crew. And it has nothing to do with Ben, I feel like West crew forcing it way too much. They feel worn out, tired and uninterested in every feature they make. I hate to sound like it's a competition but every piece of content East make is a fucking masterpiece. Even if it is the game itself isn't funny, Vinny/Abby/Dan/Abby finds a way to make it interesting with their amazing enthusiasm.

- J - D -

So is the whole impetus behind the KH series "we're gonna make a shitty video series and it'll be funny because it's shitty"? Because it sure is shitty watching 2 people sit there play a game that neither of them want to play or watch

It wouldn't say shitty series yet, but It's not a format that can be sustained as is. Irreverent apathy is not entertaining for long without a counterbalance of sincere enthusiasm, and that's what Heartache lacks -- someone who will excitedly go to bat for the series like Dan will for MGS/Mario Sunshine or Alex for Yakuza 0. If absent of that, at least a genuine curiosity like Drew had for MGS. If Ben is supposed to be that person, then he's certainly not showing it, and what's worse his co-hosts don't even seem like they want to be there.

Aselith

I dunno about that Metroid remake. I hope its good but the graphics seem really muddy or something. Things just don't seem to pop out of the background properly.

Hasney

I'm glad you enjoyed it, but I can't help but divorce myself from fights like the Alladin fight that is solely based around air combat where it takes more time setting up your ability to hit Jafar than actually hitting him since he wants to avoid being near the platforms that take at least two Sora climbing animations to get to.

And then you're rewarded with a boss fight of being able to hit Iago flying around with a lamp in a combat area that has moving platforms.

EDIT: And just to avoid any misinterpretation, no sarcasm bruh. I'm glad that you enjoyed the hours you spent with it.

I think all the Aladdin bosses weren't great. That tiger, the pot centipede thing and the two Jafar fights. I liked the actual level though, that was real fun.

- J - D -

I dunno about that Metroid remake. I hope its good but the graphics seem really muddy or something. Things just don't seem to pop out of the background properly.

It looks low budget, as if Nintendo didn't want to commit much resources to its development.

It wouldn't say shitty series yet, but It's not a format that can be sustained as is. Irreverent apathy is not entertaining for long without a counterbalance of sincere enthusiasm, and that's what Heartache lacks -- someone who will excitedly go to bat for the series like Dan will for MGS/Mario Sunshine or Alex for Yakuza 0. If absent of that, at least a genuine curiosity like Drew had for MGS. If Ben is supposed to be that person, then he's certainly not showing it, and what's worse his co-hosts don't even seem like they want to be there.

Right. Even Yakuza, not played by anyone but Dan(Well, he played ONE of the games), worked because they were atleast paying attention to the game, and even despite that Alex was interested in it enough that he kept everyone on track.

MGScanlon and the Persona 4 playthrough are good because there is an interest in seeing where it goes by one or both parties. The apathy is only going to go so far for Kingdom Hearts. Especially since it does become an obtuse game, where if you're not paying attention in cutscenes, there's no quest markers to lead you to your next objective. Even in my multiple playthroughs of the game, there are some areas that are just so obtuse and easy to get lost in(Someone mentioned it earlier, but Whale is a good example of it. For me personally it's the Tarzan level.)

It'll be interesting, but the apathy...is kinda frustrating. Game Grumps for example, play alotta shitty games, but it's funny and it works. Like, they're doing a playthrough of Zeldas Adventure, and not only do they riff on the game, but even the frustration and apathy that the hosts display is played for laughs, and it's enjoyable to watch even a shitty game like Zeldas Adventure.

What I'm saying is that GBWest should take an improv class.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't generally get the feeling that Ben is meant to be apathetic towards it? Jeff and brad were which is the gimmick I guess, but considering the first part also it seems like he genuinely wants to see through the game?

It's not like every game all the time would be super engaging even if you genuinely want to see through it. I mean this episode has basically been a fetch quest with really bad indicators of where you should go.

I'm also kinda do want to see through the game because it's a series that's past me by.

I don't generally get the feeling that Ben is meant to be apathetic towards it? Jeff and brad were which is the gimmick I guess, but considering the first part also it seems like he genuinely wants to see through the game?

It's not like every game all the time would be super engaging even if you genuinely want to see through it.

I'm also kinda do want to see through the game because it's a series that's past me by.

Ben is hard to get a read on. He is paying attention to the game(..of sorts), but there is a general apathy that is displayed. I feel even Brad last week was doing a better job(Than jeff) paying attention and atleast keeping the conversation on topic of sorts.

Maybe it was Jeffs inclusion that didn't work? I know he's doing a bit and a character, but well...it didn't work out for the video? There were some moments where he told ben he should do X or Y and it advanced the game, but it was a whole lotta running.

Again, this game doesn't have the best intro(Especially not seeing/playing through it for the umpteenth time), so maybe that's it. But there's alot of parts in the whole game itself where this is a lull in what is happening, and it just slows down to glacial speeds like the intro. I feel they could probably just have more fun with it than doing an apathy bit?

- J - D -

Right. Even Yakuza, not played by anyone but Dan(Well, he played ONE of the games), worked because they were atleast paying attention to the game, and even despite that Alex was interested in it enough that he kept everyone on track.

MGScanlon and the Persona 4 playthrough are good because there is an interest in seeing where it goes by one or both parties. The apathy is only going to go so far for Kingdom Hearts. Especially since it does become an obtuse game, where if you're not paying attention in cutscenes, there's no quest markers to lead you to your next objective. Even in my multiple playthroughs of the game, there are some areas that are just so obtuse and easy to get lost in(Someone mentioned it earlier, but Whale is a good example of it. For me personally it's the Tarzan level.)

It'll be interesting, but the apathy...is kinda frustrating. Game Grumps for example, play alotta shitty games, but it's funny and it works. Like, they're doing a playthrough of Zeldas Adventure, and not only do they riff on the game, but even the frustration and apathy that the hosts display is played for laughs, and it's enjoyable to watch even a shitty game like Zeldas Adventure.

What I'm saying is that GBWest should take an improv class.

Yes to all of that. Kingdom Heartache is very one-note, and it's tiring real fast.

Granted, it's still early goings now but I just don't see the GBW crew really changing their attitudes toward the game. But, I'd like to be wrong.

Antiwhippy

I kind of think it's just his own personal presentation lol. I mean his voice in general is fairly low key. He just sounds constantly stoned.

I certainly don't really feel that he was apathetic towards it other than the frustration at the fetch quest.

I mean I don't really know the game at all, but it should probably open up now that they're out of the island right?

- J - D -

It's not like every game all the time would be super engaging even if you genuinely want to see through it. I mean this episode has basically been a fetch quest with really bad indicators of where you should go.

I'm not saying Ben was apathetic, but he doesn't serve as a strong enough counter to Jeff or Brad, both of whom I believe often mistake apathetic snark as something entertaining for long stretches. Maybe to some viewers it's a fun gimmick, but to me it wears thin really fast.

I wonder what value people who do like Kingdom Hearts get out of watching this video series. I don't feel like they're being served here, and I don't think uninitiated people who approach this wanting to discover Kingdom hearts through the eyes of those genuinely enthusiastic are probably getting anything worthwhile either.

I kind of think it's just his own personal presentation lol. I mean his voice in general is fairly low key. He just sounds constantly stoned.

I certainly don't really feel that he was apathetic towards it other than the frustration at the fetch quest.

I mean I don't really know the game at all, but it should probably open up now that they're out of the island right?

Not really. Token quests are the trade of this game more or less, there is a sort of backtracking later in the game, it's very linear with illusion of choice-there will be parts where you can choose one of 2 planets to land on, but usually you need to complete both in order to progress. There is about 1 or 2 planets you don't really need to visit, but by the end you do have to visit in order to complete the game(iirc on that point.)

KH is a bad game that when comparing it using todays sensibilities, is an awful game. Kid me liked it though, a lot. And it was fun for what it was.

I love GB and been following them since the basement days but West isn't doing it for me anymore. The last time I've endured any West content from start to finish has to be around when Ben joined the crew. And it has nothing to do with Ben, I feel like West crew forcing it way too much. They feel worn out, tired and uninterested in every feature they make. I hate to sound like it's a competition but every piece of content East make is a fucking masterpiece. Even if it is the game itself isn't funny, Vinny/Abby/Dan/Abby finds a way to make it interesting with their amazing enthusiasm.

It's frustrating, because there isn't really one thing you can point to and say "oh, they just need to _______ and everything will be fine." What can you really do to "fix" their problems? Nothing's going to magically make them more engaged in what they do. I figured that having new blood would freshen things up because I thought the problem was that they just weren't doing enough content, but the general vibe has only gotten worse since they hired Ben (not placing the blame on him, it's just how things are turning out). Another producer would definitely take the weight off of Jason's shoulders (which is a must), but it's difficult not to picture it only leading to more frequent content that's still as stagnant and listless as it is now. I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm done with GB West's content altogether, and that really bums me out.

It's depressing, but West's nadir happens to coincide with East going through a damn renaissance, so at least there's that.

Kingdom Heartache seems kind of useless. Ben isn't going to be ready for KH3 because that would require engaging with the game and paying attention, and the guests of each episode are only there to say "Lolol Kingdom Hearts is stupid" for an hour.

The KH games being convoluted nonsense is the only thing I know about them, so I'd be curious to actually see those games. But this irregular series of tiny Bombcasts doesn't seem like a good way to do that.

Going into the game already convinced about hating it isn't helping either. The beginning of the game doesn't seem any better or worse than the start of most other videogames, particularly Japanese ones.

hamchan

I think KH1 is a bit rough these days but it still has its charms.

KH2 though is fun as fuck to play. Golly I love that game.

Antiwhippy

I'm not saying Ben was apathetic, but he doesn't serve as a strong enough counter to Jeff or Brad, both of whom I believe often mistake apathetic snark as something entertaining for long stretches. Maybe to some viewers it's a fun gimmick, but to me it wears thin really fast.

I wonder what value people who do like Kingdom Hearts get out of watching this video series. I don't feel like they're being served here, and I don't think uninitiated people who approach this wanting to discover Kingdom hearts through the eyes of those genuinely enthusiastic are probably getting anything worthwhile either.

I'm not here to look at kingdom hearts through the eyes of someone genuinely enthusiastic about the game. If i wanted to do that i work have seen a YouTube playthrough ages ago. I'm here to look at it through the eyes of the curmudgeonly fucks over at Giantbomb.

Very rarely do i come to giantbomb for enthusiasm. It only really hands with dan, but the enthusiasm is usually through the expanse of others.

Also i don't really feel the video was that apathetic? Especially once they've finished that fetch quest.

Xater

I think people that get on Lawbreakers being the bigger bomb might already be able to be called the winners. Game doesn't even track in the top 100 games played on Steam.

Hasney

I think KH1 is a bit rough these days but it still has its charms.

KH2 though is fun as fuck to play. Golly I love that game.

I'm gonna get the speedrun trophy in KH1 then move onto Chain of Memories so I can get to 2. Never played it, but only played 1 because I knew it's the only way to get the story and ended up liking it. So looking forward to playing the game regular people seem to actually like.

I'm not here to look at kingdom hearts through the eyes of someone genuinely enthusiastic about the game. If i wanted to do that i work have seen a YouTube playthrough ages ago. I'm here to look at it through the eyes of the curmudgeonly fucks over at Giantbomb.

Very rarely do i come to giantbomb for enthusiasm. It only really hands with dan, but the enthusiasm is usually through the expanse of others.

Also i don't really feel the video was that apathetic? Especially once they've finished that fetch quest.

My issue is that they weren't even entertaining about it. Like, they don't have to be enthusiastic about it, but that doesn't mean they can't have fun. This bit they did wasn't enjoyable ._.;

I think people that get on Lawbreakers being the bigger bomb might already be able to be called the winners. Game doesn't even track in the top 100 games played on Steam.

What about Agents of Maybe?

Which will be the bigger bomb.

- J - D -

More power to you. Lacking enthusiasm is fine if they can riff off of the game, but I just don't see it in Heartache. I think it's all very one note and can't last as it currently is.

Xater

I can see agents of maybe at least cracking the top 100 on steam on day 1. Lawbreakers had its best of days in the free beta, and those numbers I wouldn't call spectacular. Hell it did worse than Battleborn.

Yeah, I think that succinctly summarizes the problem. To add to that, I'm also 100% over Jeff listing things he thinks are "lame" without any further introspection. Disney: lame. Disney fandom: also lame. Disney stores: lame, as well. Never thought I'd be the one to say this, but lighten the fuck up. The old man curmudgeon bit only goes so far before it just becomes a tedious drag.

It's frustrating, because there isn't really one thing you can point to and say "oh, they just need to _______ and everything will be fine." What can you really do to "fix" their problems?

They need to do something that at least one person is genuinely into. Play a game on-camera that someone really loves and would make for fun watching, or something. Hell, Demo Derby was always interesting, although without Dan and Drew I think even that took a nosedive. But it HAS to start with them doing something they're enthusiastic about, and I honestly don't get that sense from anything they're doing right now, except maybe the DOTA thing but... that's DOTA. Maybe that's a cop-out but looking at the viewer count for that video I'm far from alone in not being interested in that at all.

It's not even about "energy", it's just a lack of sincere enthusiasm for anything.

Hasney

Lawbreakers is pretty fun from the beta, but I don't know why I'd boot it up over Overwatch. I like the pace of it though.

Lawbreakers at least has the "you should get it too so we can play together" factor going for it

what the fuck does Agents of Maybe have

A marketing campaign seemingly so far, which can do a lot.

oti

Banned
Kingdom Hearts episode 2 - published 8h ago - 7200 views

Dota episode 3 - published 5 days ago - 8500 views

hamchan

Thank god these Kingdom Hearts videos are less than an hour because this first half hour of Ben running around has felt like an eternity.

Antiwhippy

Looking through the video again I'm just going to say.

People are way overblowing the apathy thing.

They were snarky during the bad bits but pretty engaged during the parts that are actually interesting.

And dare i say it.

With some good jokes and humorous banter throughout.

oti

Banned
Ben wasting our time on this awful island and playing terribly on top is slowly killing me inside.

Playing this weekly is a VERY BAD idea, Ben.

Antiwhippy

Steal my sunshine is excellent and hyped.

I'm also somewhat hyped to see how long exquisite corps lasts. I want them to make it past a terror mission.

hamchan

43 minutes into this latest episode Jeff asks Ben whether he can go through the door now and Ben says "oh no we have to find Riku" (having just found Riku 10 seconds before).

Jeff asks "Was that not Riku?"

Ben says "Oh no Riku is the lady"

oti

Banned
43 minutes into this latest episode Jeff asks Ben whether he can go through the door now and Ben says "oh no we have to find Riku" (having just found Riku 10 seconds before).

f80.jpg

Antiwhippy

At least he realised it early.

Vs not knowing who nishitani is by the end.

Hasney

Even if you're bummed about the KH video, at least Ben is taking some of the production himself. So if he gets more experienced, he can take some pressure off Jason at least.

The lack of XCom in the schedule saddens me.

Mondays on CBS's Giant Bomb dot com

i'm assuming thats the call in show they totally announced once but then backed off

Oh no....

not-like-this.gif

I reeeallllyyy hope you're wrong based on how those call in UPFs went.

Meneses

They should play that more than once a week for a better flow. But they're also editing it so maybe that's just unrealistic with their busy schedule.

You're probably right, the editing might make it hard to play it more often.

Top Bottom