• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

oti

Banned
05zTsH59R3OWMgfchenSBw.png

Sam Robertson is such a joy. Sometimes I feel like her talent is wasted being hemmed in so much at Nintendo. But then again, she's far and away the best part of Treehouse so they absolutely need her.

oti

Banned
Everytime you do this, you should really put *excluding live viewers.

Or brave the livestream and get an estimate of how many people are watching live.

The livestream had like 3 viewers.
Don't have evidence but who cares.

DON'T RUIN THIS FOR ME

Hindl

Looking through the video again I'm just going to say.

People are way overblowing the apathy thing.

They were snarky during the bad bits but pretty engaged during the parts that are actually interesting.

And dare i say it.

With some good jokes and humorous banter throughout.
Yeah I was fine with it

imBask

Banned
not gonna lie, I have my yearly "maybe I need to play Dota 2 and get it, TI seems cool" calling

I fucking hate Dota 2, but maybe this time it'll be different

Hasney

not gonna lie, I have my yearly "maybe I need to play Dota 2 and get it, TI seems cool" calling

I fucking hate Dota 2, but maybe this time it'll be different

You won't make it through the match and just make people as miserable as you by quitting part way through.

I say do it.

This post became way longer than I intended, but...

It's funny, Kingdom Hearts 1 is a very dry and often kind of boring game, but I think it's worth it to get through it, because the other games in the series (or at least 2 if you gotta go mainline) are vastly better. The jump in how alive and fun the game feels from 1 to 2 is astonishing. It's why I'm starting to get excited for 3. Hopefully they put time into making big gameplay leaps instead of trying to make it just look pretty.

I don't think KH1 is terrible, but even when it's frustrating watching Ben miss that stuff and not know what to do... I had the same issue. But on that note, I would've appreciated them making these episodes a bit longer. An hour a week is gonna take like half a year or longer to finish this game. Give it two or even two and a half hours, and take some advice from the comments to help you get through it faster. KH2 is such a massive gameplay leap, and even though the story goes off-the-rails (a lot of it at the time was actually just confusion because Chain of Memories literally filled in everything that happened between 1 and 2... well, almost everything, but anyway, it's a lot less confusing knowing what happened in CoM.) it does so in a mostly fun, ridiculous way rather than annoying or frustrating.

As someone who for some reason just beat this game on Proud Mode --and don't beat it on hard mode, the game's mechanics aren't good enough for it to be fun at that kind of difficulty-- here's a couple tips/suggestions/ramblings from someone who has gone back and forth on being meh on Kingdom Hearts to liking it and back and again over the years:

- Use the air combo when you can. I believe it's the same damage except you get it out faster, just jump before attacking and things will go by faster.

- If you start to have trouble and want Donald to heal you, don't be afraid to go into his customize menu to turn his offensive spells to the lowest setting and support spells to the highest to make him cure more.

- Despite the meandering beginning, you fly through most of this game. The vast majority of worlds you visit are literally like 3-4 rooms big, this whole getting stuck and confused thing isn't like the rest of the game at all.

- When you get your abilities, you have to equip them. The game tells you this, but you might skip over it by accident or forget. Abilities are super useful, so make sure to keep them updated.

- It seems like you're mostly playing this just to catch up in time for KH3. So my personal advice is to skip most of the side stuff, don't bother looking for treasures, etc. I hate to belabor the point, but KH1 just isn't fun enough to warrant that. Now, if you wanted to look for some of that stuff in KH2, that'd be a more worthwhile endeavor. I regret spending extra time in this game because it plays soooo bad in comparison to 2.

- I do hope you check out the non-mainline games! Chain of Memories is a lot of reused assets, but makes for a fun and interesting battle system. This was the first time I had ever played it, and they made a card-based action game pretty darn good. On a similar note, they turned 358/2 days (the name is needlessly confusing, it just means it takes place over that many days from 2 perspectives.) into a weird 3 hour movie, since the game was just a bunch of bad filler missions. It doesn't make for a good movie, but it does have a lot of critical info that you use the second you start KH2. I recommend watching at least a supercut of both of these titles if you don't want to play them, but you might not be interested or have the free time, I just had it up on my second screen as I played other stuff, and found the info completely alleviated that total feeling of confusion I had when I started KH2 back in the day. That they put this stuff in side games is insane. The intro to KH2 if you only played KH1 is bizarre.

- Don't spend time in the gummi garage, it's a waste of your precious time on this planet, far more of a waste than anything else in KH.

- I thought you were goofing, but it genuinely seemed at some point that you thought Riku was Sephiroth. Riku's your gray-haired friend.

- All those empty things you found were because you cleared them out last week. Only playing an hour a week is gonna cause this to keep happening, I think. I think it'd work best for all of us if we doubled that!

kiguel182

I reinstalled Dota.

Had a great game where we were being beat but then turned things around (not because of me, I'm terrible. Damn you DOTA.

Dota is great and terrible all at once.

TheChits

Yeah 40 or 50 minutes of Kingdom Hearts a week is going to make for a looooooooooong video series. Fortunately the game is pretty straight forward from here, but it is still going to take quite some time.

Seventy70

I love GB and been following them since the basement days but West isn't doing it for me anymore. The last time I've endured any West content from start to finish has to be around when Ben joined the crew. And it has nothing to do with Ben, I feel like West crew forcing it way too much. They feel worn out, tired and uninterested in every feature they make. I hate to sound like it's a competition but every piece of content East make is a fucking masterpiece. Even if it is the game itself isn't funny, Vinny/Abby/Dan/Abby finds a way to make it interesting with their amazing enthusiasm.

I completely know what you're talking about. I recently went back and watched some clips of older stuff and the difference is massive. They used to be much more loose and fun.

Jeff seems to be on auto pilot these days. We barely get "crazy Jeff" anymore. Brad has become incredibly uptight. Any time he's thrown a joke, he completely kills it. It's just "no fun allowed" all the time with him these days. He's become so afraid of making any mistake. Ben is alright. He regurgitates a lot of GB humor and it feels unearned sometimes. Jason is a cool dude, but very much a "behind the scenes" guy.

Passive is how I would describe the West coast. On a more positive note, I still think they are fantastic people and have their moments, but yeah....

drabnon

You want more (!) drama than this thread?

The drama in this thread is child's play, tbh

Anyway as a Kingdom Hearts fan I have no issue with Ben or the rest of the crew shitting on the game. It is a bit outdated (I mean the game came out in 2002). And no amount of people disparaging the game will make me think it is a bad game, much like Super Mario Sunshine. It was an important experience for me at the time I played it and I can love it while also admitting that the KH series went up its own ass afterwards.

I do agree that it seems like some of these features would benefit from two episodes a week both for whoever is playing but also to keep them from going on way too long.

I'm listening to the new Bombcast now, and I 100% agree on Ben's Prey assessment, whether we're in the minority or not.

I was doing a playthrough of Prey and died SO many times to some big ass security bot thing in a row that I actually deleted the game and gave up on going through it (about 5 hours in). I wouldn't have even given up at that point if it wasn't the 5th or 6th room that I had that experience in. I genuinely feel like even though they say "Spec out however you like", that using that method doesn't actually work and there's a specific way I should have played the game.

This is the 2nd game in the past 5+ years that I distinctly remember getting so pissed off at that I just shut it off/deleted it and never went back, and I've played/powered through a lot of games that I sucked at, had a horrible time with, etc. (D-word Souls on PC was the other).

daveo42

Banned
Thanks for the tips on getting into KH twin tails. Your post is exactly what I needed to push myself back to the series after all these years.

Why are they still being coy about the status of Kingdom Heartache? This is the first free "premium feature" in a while, and now newcomers to Giant Bomb will watch it and be like "what is that shit?" Just look at the ending of the second episode. Imagine someone new to GB watching that. It seems really unprofessional, and doesn't compel viewers to come back.

oti

Banned
Why are they still being coy about the status of Kingdom Heartache? This is the first free "premium feature" in a while, and now newcomers to Giant Bomb will watch it and be like "what is that shit?" Just look at the ending of the second episode. Imagine someone new to GB watching that. It seems really unprofessional, and doesn't compel viewers to come back.

The way they've treated this super popular feature is all sorts of unfortunate. I get they want to be real or themselves or whatever, but this is just needlessly unprofessional.

They want to expand their audience or not? This could be another Shenmue hit for them.

Curufinwe

I'm listening to the new Bombcast now, and I 100% agree on Ben's Prey assessment, whether we're in the minority or not.

I was doing a playthrough of Prey and died SO many times to some big ass security bot thing in a row that I actually deleted the game and gave up on going through it (about 5 hours in). I wouldn't have even given up at that point if it wasn't the 5th or 6th room that I had that experience in. I genuinely feel like even though they say "Spec out however you like", that using that method doesn't actually work and there's a specific way I should have played the game.

This is the 2nd game in the past 5+ years that I distinctly remember getting so pissed off at that I just shut it off/deleted it and never went back, and I've played/powered through a lot of games that I sucked at, had a horrible time with, etc. (D-word Souls on PC was the other).

Was dropping the difficulty down an option?

The way they've treated this super popular feature is all sorts of unfortunate. I get they want to be real or themselves or whatever, but this is just needlessly unprofessional.

They want to expand their audience or not? This could be another Shenmue hit for them.

Honestly, at the end of this episode (2) or the beginning/end of the "next one? tee hee", Ben should really just state "We are doing a rotating cast on this bi-weekly feature, and at the end we're going to ______."

Laying it out will at least help us know that's going to be a feature, and will let new people know what the fuck is going on over there.

Super Mario Sunshine, love it or hate it, understand it or be confused as shit, they TRIED to lay out the rules of the gambling as soon as possible. Even if you didn't understand it right away, you saw what was happening, and they tried to help explain it as they go.

I feel that works better than "Guess everything!"

Was dropping the difficulty down an option?

You can, but I think once you're fucked, you're fucked, in regards to build spec.

I played through on Normal for most of it, and when I got super frustrated the first time I turned it down to Easy and it SEEMED like it helped me get past one of the fights. I turned it back up to Normal again, played further, turned it to Easy again, but still couldn't get past the next part.

I can 100% accept the fact that I might have fucked up somewhere (and stated it a bunch in the videos I did), but I know I'm good at video games (at 34 years old), and I really shouldn't have to take the game off of 'Normal' to progress in it.

It offends my pride :)

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is yesterday's Bombcast worth listening to? I can't keep up with all the content.

Yeah it's pretty good.

I feel like podcasts would be the easiest kind of content to consume because you can just listen to them while going about your other stuff.

patapuf

You can, but I think once you're fucked, you're fucked, in regards to build spec.

I played through on Normal for most of it, and when I got super frustrated the first time I turned it down to Easy and it SEEMED like it helped me get past one of the fights. I turned it back up to Normal again, played further, turned it to Easy again, but still couldn't get past the next part.

I can 100% accept the fact that I might have fucked up somewhere (and stated it a bunch in the videos I did), but I know I'm good at video games (at 34 years old), and I really shouldn't have to take the game off of 'Normal' to progress in it.

It offends my pride :)

You aren't. Neuromods are craftable.

If you use powers, you don't even need much ammo, which frees even more rescources for crafting. 2/3rds trhough the game i had over a 70 Neurodmods in my inventory because i couldn't decide whether i wanted to go down the power route or not.

The beginning of the game can be tough in spots. But if a big guy gave me too much trouble i just avoided him or went away doing something else for a while.

If your build is truly fucked. Just use the shotgun and some grenades. That works on everything.

Top Bottom