• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Alex is a goddamn saint. I found it charming when he passed his controller in episode 3. He knows himself than anyone, and made the wise decision of changing the circumstances before he became legitimately angry. I admire his steadfastness as a guardian of his mental health.

bless this post ��

My impression is that it's a gag and I think they're pulling it off well. Up until Ben overwrote the first save I was hoping episode 3 would be Ben replaying the same shit as episode 2 but with Brad. That's how straight I want this to go.

I know it's a gag, I just don't think the gag holds up for the length of an entire video, let alone an entire series. The third time they did the fake mic check I was like "aight I get it"

Friendship with irony is over. Sincerity is my new best friend.

imBask

Banned
I don't get the system they made up for "giving up your turn"

just make it count like a death, period... the next person getting a double turn makes no sense

BTA

I really appreciate Alex knowing his own limits and passing the controller. Him just continually getting frustrated, especially if there's very little chance he's going to lose a life and pass it on naturally, isn't fun for him or for the viewers. Despite not liking the game he's done a good job of helping to make sure things keep going at a decent pace and pointing out when mistakes were his own fault.

At some point they may need to implement some sort of randomization or cycling for who it gets passed to, though, since I don't really see any of the others passing unless it's something specifically very hard later on.

I'm fine with Abby having double the turns since then she can get more shines that she can bet.

...though this is also true, yeah.

Catvoca

Banned
DFMArgsXYAE5Srn.jpg

Nerokis

Kingdom Heartache isn't bad because they don't like Kingdom Hearts or because Kingdom Hearts is bad. It's because they don't appear to give a shit about anything and unlike the off-topic chatter in Blue Bombin, it's just awkward and stilted

Kingdom Heartache is fantastic (or at least episode 2 was - still haven't watched the first one). The juxtaposition of this lighthearted, very anime thing from the early 2000s and Ben and Jeff's dry dynamic worked very well for me. Ben blindly running around this bright but empty island looking for motherfucking coconuts, finding seemingly hidden away areas with absolutely nothing in them (which I figured contained items he found in episode 1, and forgot about), etc., with Jeff all the while projecting apathy in a way only he can. It was all great stuff.

I guess it helps that I'm a big fan (was a big fan?) of KH1 and 2. Seeing them shit on the more sincere moments was amusing to me. It brings out the ridiculousness of it all, and I was already in a place where I found the ridiculousness endearing. For me, the episode felt like the first time in awhile that GBWest managed to reach GBEast's heights.

Now, it seems a good amount of people disagree, and that's understandable. The place where people lose me is in attacking the premise. Ben seems to genuinely want to play the mainline games, with the goal of playing KH3 having experienced all the necessary characters and events. Of course that's going to be a rough ride: these are unique, somewhat antiquated games that he's playing totally removed from their original context, and Ben is seemingly the only person at GBWest with the slightest interest in them. I don't think the purpose of the series is to shit on the games; it's more that playing them was always going to test their endurance, and the shitting on them comes very naturally.

Alucrid

Banned
i think brad really needs to be there for kingdom hearts. he's the only one that truly understands that donald duck is a warlock

Oakinn

It's weird and kinda intimidating. I always feel like i'm interrupting other people's chat when I say something.

I joined in there before i was allowed to post here and I missed a lot of the "in" jokes. Also I had no idea who anyone was from here so i was pretty quiet most of the time.

TraBuch

Banned
I just got a phone call and when I didn't answer, got a text from that number saying I need to call that number if I want to avoid a class 6 felony. Wut.

The balance for West just seems to be completely off, especially when you compare it to the dynamic at East. I found it quite telling that the first UPF I've enjoyed in months was when they had a guest chair in - it was just felt fresh and fun again. I haven't listened to the Bombcast in months either :(

I don't even know how you could fix it, I like all the people there, it just feels routine and sterile.

Real Hero

I don't understand Ben wanting to play KH 1 because of 3, when he made a point to ignore all the story stuff and basically pay no attention to anything. I assumed that was the entire joke, what a weird series

Quentyn

Okay, he doesn't like the game, he went in with the expectation that he will not like the game, but he still wants play it because he wants to be ready for Kingdom Hearts 3.

Fair enough I get it, but that doesn't explain why this has to be a video feature. Because everything about this premise is not entertaining for your audience at all. Just play it on your own time and use the little time the West coast has for videos these days for videos that have people on it that actually enjoy their time? I don't like the new Dota videos much either, but there we have at least two people on it who seem to enjoy themselves.

My impression is that it's a gag and I think they're pulling it off well. Up until Ben overwrote the first save I was hoping episode 3 would be Ben replaying the same shit as episode 2 but with Brad. That's how straight I want this to go.

I'm enjoying it too, as a slow burn kind of thing. I kind of hope Brad isn't on again until the final episode, but that may be unreasonable considering how many episodes there will have to be.

BTA

Okay, he doesn't like the game, he went in with the expectation that he will not like the game, but he still wants play it because he wants to be ready for Kingdom Hearts 3.

Fair enough I get it, but that doesn't explain why this has to be a video feature. Because everything about this premise is not entertaining for your audience at all. Just play it on your own time and use the little time the West coast has for videos these days for videos that have people on it that actually enjoy their time? I don't like the new Dota videos much either, but there we have at least two people on it who seem to enjoy themselves.

...he was joking.

I don't know who this Kingdom Hearts series is for.

Besides Ben.

I enjoyed the first episode, but this one was very bad. It's probably because Jeff has a real talent for sucking the joy out of things for everyone else when he doesn't personally enjoy them.

Edit: And the sound test jokes were fucking stupid. Is the goal of the feature seeing how much abrasive nonsense people will put up with just to watch GBW actually play through a game?

oti

Banned
I enjoyed the first episode, but this one was very bad. It's probably because Jeff has a real talent for sucking the joy out of things for everyone else when he doesn't personally enjoy them.

The beginning of the game is bad....
Maybe they could've lighten things up more with casual conversation...
But the beginning is still bad...

I'll say this. If they shit on the game throughout the series and not make in entertaining at all, fine. Then the criticism is justified and Ben just sucks at features.

But don't base your judgement on this feature on the first two episodes. The beginning is BAAAD.

I'll say this. If they shit on the game throughout the series and not make in entertaining at all, fine. Then the criticism is justified and Ben just sucks at features.

But don't base your judgement on this feature on the first two episodes. The beginning is BAAAD.

Yeah. Feel like Heartache can pick up once they start hitting actual Disney worlds.

No more of these "mic check" jokes please but did generally enjoy Ben and Jeff fine enough in this one.

oti

Banned
no time for that they have to talk about checking their sound levels again

Seems like Ben needs more time to get past his "I'm the funny guy!" stick. Jeff just doesn't care about KH. If this was a fighting game or #theoldgames he surely wouldn't be this dismissive.

Kimaka

Having someone who cares about Disney or Final Fantasy after 6 would really improve the conversation because it could steer into something semi on topic. No one seemed to recognize any of the FF characters besides Wakka.

Top Bottom