• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

I am so happy that Brad reviewed Hellblade. What an amazing game. I echo everything he said in his review, but probably would have given it a perfect score. It's my GOTY by far. PLAY THIS GAME.

I've been burnt by people saying Ninja Theories games are good before! I really want to give it a go but I've always found they combat systems lacklustre and Hellblade doesn't seem to fix that problem. I'll give it a shot when it's on sale.

Meguro

Banned
I bought Hellblade despite me saying I wouldn't.
This shit better be as good as people say it is or I'm officially putting Ninja Theory on my personal developer blacklist like I intended to do after DmC.

Hasney

What do those budget apps do, exactly? Do you input every expenditure into it? I recently redid my budget in preparation for buying a car next year, and maybe I should have done so with an app.

Does nothing a spreadsheet can't do if you know what you're doing, but those apps are good if you don't know what you're doing.

I bought Hellblade despite me saying I wouldn't.
This shit better be as good as people say it is or I'm officially putting Ninja Theory on my personal developer blacklist like I intended to do after DmC.

Ha, they're on my blacklist until people that didn't like their previous games start saying the actually like the gameplay. Even some of the highly scored reviews say that isn't the case and the things surrounding playing it can't make me get through a game.

robotrock

Banned
I've been burnt by people saying Ninja Theories games are good before! I really want to give it a go but I've always found they combat systems lacklustre and Hellblade doesn't seem to fix that problem. I'll give it a shot when it's on sale.

It's really really not about the combat. I'm only like two hours in but combat encounters seem rare.

If I'm going to guess which character traits is the one you hate I'm going to say kinda yes?
It kinda does do some recontextualisation as a story telling method but not really that much. It's more about the ride along the way really. It's not anywhere near nier automata levels.
Also, speaking of recontextualisation as a story telling device, once you're done with steins;gate may I recommend the house in fata morgana? I feel like it'll be way more up your road.
I'll add it to the list! I've heard good things.

Oh wait, Pax is coming up? Again?
:(
Time marches ever onwards, toward the inevitable release of oblivion! 🙃

BTA

YNAB is painful to use.
It takes so much manual input.

I find Mint a much easier solution

I have the Mint app on my phone but I've never really done anything with it, so I'll try that.

...it also looks like the connection to my bank account broke when I changed the password last month, so I should fix that.

I'll add it to the list! I've heard good things.

Time marches ever onwards, toward the inevitable release of oblivion! 🙃

Fata is one of my favorite like... works of media in general of the past couple years. I'll strongly recommend it as well.

Telfo

I played the first little bit of Hellblade last night and the audio when playing with headphones on is creepy as hell.

Catvoca

Banned
I bought Jet Set Radio Future after some of you guys were talking about it.

I also got Shenmue 2 because I hate myself

Valtýr

Does nobody remember that Chuck Norris jokes were just based on Vin Diesel jokes? I remember printing out pages of Vin Diesel jokes in early highschool, well before Chuck Norris jokes were a thing.

Curufinwe

It's one of the rare games that utilizes every button on the controller. Really well done. Loved the combat and it was a gorgeous game on PC and ran super well.

Lots of games do that. DmC does it because they put dodge on two shoulder buttons.

LiK

Lots of games do that. DmC does it because they put dodge on two shoulder buttons.

DmC does it more than others especially when you're switching weapons. I found myself sometimes having to practice more than usual whenever a new weapon or skill was unlocked. Every weapon and skill is utilized to the controller's full extent. Most games just reuse the same abilities across different buttons, iirc.

Valtýr;245831006 said:
Does nobody remember that Chuck Norris jokes were just based on Vin Diesel jokes? I remember printing out pages of Vin Diesel jokes in early highschool, well before Chuck Norris jokes were a thing.
Yeah it's especially weird since Vin Diesel is more relevant these days.

Valtýr;245831006 said:

that sounds fake

Hasney

that sounds fake

No, it's true. It started on Something Awful and the facts started happening after The Pacifier. Then they seemed to switch to Chuck Norris.

giphy.gif

you know, you look at someone like curt hawkins and think "man he sucks, he deserves to be where he is in the WWE"

but then you realize it's probably WWE that decided that he sucks so much

LiK

Listening to 1099 with Abby. Really liked learning about the GB hiring practices and her thoughts about working there.

Their stories haven't been that great either so it's another hurdle to overcome.

will wait as well.

ultron87

I played the first little bit of Hellblade last night and the audio when playing with headphones on is creepy as hell.

It legit made me feel a little panicked. I liked it, but was also really stressed by the whole thing and was going to play more later in the evening and was like, ehhhh maybe not.

daveo42

Banned
finally getting that GB CAX video...

jDtVSvT.png

Very neat video. Love old arcade machines and the variety of games that have come out in over the past several decades.

It also highlights why I hate 360 videos. Sure I can swivel around to look at the surroundings, but to actually see stuff as well I have to move the camera's perspective to see the important items.

Hasney

I need to know, did everyone just kind of make a noise during "happy birthday dear smrrr" hoping that other people saying the name would drown them out?

I need to know, did everyone just kind of make a noise during "happy birthday dear smrrr" hoping that other people saying the name would drown them out?

The room actually got dead quiet and everyone awkwardly stared at each other during the name part, haha.

The game wasn’t at all about the combat to me. If you’re coming into it looking for stylish character action or something like that, this won’t satisfy you at all. But I think the story, characters, and world make it well worth playing. Honestly I think it does a better job as a “walking simulator” like Tacoma, Gone Home, Firewatch, etc. than any of those games do. It just happens to be made by the same people who gave us angsty teen Dante.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Sooooo

Is No Man's Sky a good game now?
I know I'm late but I just saw the Patch thread
I wonder I they'll look at it again at some point

imBask

Banned
I also kinda wanna give NMS another shot, but I also kinda don't wanna have to read the thread and interact with that community in order to see what's new

LiK

Sooooo

Is No Man's Sky a good game now?
I know I'm late but I just saw the Patch thread
I wonder I they'll look at it again at some point

Last major upgrade made it better from what people said. I guess this is even better.

I also kinda wanna give NMS another shot, but I also kinda don't wanna have to read the thread and interact with that community in order to see what's new

Just read the patch notes.

Things are getting weird in the TI7 thread. Seeing someone post a homophobic slur and then others praise them for their "passion" is not something you see on Gaf very often.

Harpuia

Last major upgrade made it better from what people said. I guess this is even better.

Just read the patch notes.

It looks like they've added base building stuff, and along the way, more vehicles and the ability to have better ships. Plus some fixes here and there that appear to be technical.

The new patch seems to have very little info on their website, beyond them saying it's a change to the story of the game.

It's been a year, and I wasn't able to sell my copy back before it devalued quickly, so I might power my PS4 on this weekend to download the updates and see what's the what.

LiK

It looks like they've added base building stuff, and along the way, more vehicles and the ability to have better ships. Plus some fixes here and there that appear to be technical.

The new patch seems to have very little info on their website, beyond them saying it's a change to the story of the game.

It's been a year, and I wasn't able to sell my copy back before it devalued quickly, so I might power my PS4 on this weekend to download the updates and see what's the what.

I already Platinumed it and unless they made the center of the universe something better, I doubt I'll return. guess I'll look for any reviews of anything changing for the story.

daveo42

Banned
I went back to NMS after the first major update and bounced right off of it because of how their systems changed and what you needed to mine 3/4 of the materials you need to do most anything in the game. The newest update sounds awesome since portals seem to be happening after over a year, but I don't have the drive to go back and spend much time with it.

I think most of the community was defensive over the constant questions pre-release about constant what do you even do questions and then eventually defending why they enjoyed the game post-release. I had fun with it, but the luster wore out after a dozen systems with similar planets, flora, fauna, and next to nothing to do except finish the thin Atlas quest and trophy hunt.

imBask

Banned
Things are getting weird in the TI7 thread. Seeing someone post a homophobic slur and then others praise them for their "passion" is not something you see on Gaf very often.

I just checked and it's a graveyard in there, good lord

EDIT: wait nvm it's all just that one guy

Top Bottom