• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
everyone has a few months to come to terms with this years GOTY, its alright, just let it wash over you. like a wave of pure water.

For some reason when I'm using chrome videos on the site won't load for me anymore. They just say "Loading Video..." but never load. Has anyone else experienced this?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean I have never actually shared the same GOTY as giantbomb so whatever.

I'm usually lucky if I share 3 games on the top 10 list.

They got last year right with Hitman.

This year it's between Zelda and PUBG. Mario Sunshine will make half the staff hate 3D Mario by the time Mario Odyssey releases.

Antiwhippy

Eh edith finch is alright. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I don't really want to play another game which is just basically story archaeology though.

BTA

I love that kind of game but Edith Finch, while good, just didn't click with me as much as other games like it for some reason.

I legitimately, sincerely wish I could see in it whatever those of you who rave about it see in it.

Joeku

I love that kind of game but Edith Finch, while good, just didn't click with me as much as other games like it for some reason.

I legitimately, sincerely wish I could see in it whatever those of you who rave about it see in it.

Magical realism isn't for everybody and I readily accept that, but I was all over What Remains of Edith Finch like Giant Bomb is on chiptune-inspired soundtracks come GotY time. That shit just fuels me.

robotrock

Banned

(what remains of edith finch spoilers)
the bit where you're chopping the salmon is crazy good

otherwise yeah it's fine. wasn't really too into the game's structure. plus the ending kind of soured me there too

Joeku

Holy shit, you guys. No Man's Sky's next patch may well be No Man's Sky 2 if everything is true.

(Shameless own thread plug): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1417374

Hope they talk about it on the next Bombcast

Without being too shitty about this, it's not No Man's Sky 2. It's what No Man's Sky 1 should have been.

But at least they're trying to make good on it!

otherwise yeah it's fine. wasn't really too into the game's structure. plus the ending kind of soured me there too

The end is what brought it all together for me, as it should have. What turned you off about it?

Edit: And yes, that sequence will absolutely come up in Best Moment. People should play the game before GotY time to not get spoiled on that.

d-rek

Neo Member
For some reason when I'm using chrome videos on the site won't load for me anymore. They just say "Loading Video..." but never load. Has anyone else experienced this?

Yeah, I was just having this issue with Chrome as well. I noticed my adblock switched back on, I switched it off and videos are working again. Hopefully that's the issue you're having!

Antiwhippy

My main problem with edith finch is just the overall story really.
I feel like it spends so much time reveling in each death that there's very little time taken to explore how it affected the family overall. There is the house, but it's just kinda there to show how psychotic the granny "matriarch" is?

robotrock

Banned
The end is what brought it all together for me, as it should have. What turned you off about it?

Edit: And yes, that sequence will absolutely come up in Best Moment. People should play the game before GotY time to not get spoiled on that.
Edith finch spoilers
just felt abrupt. She had to die because that's what the Finches do. I think I get what they're going for but I just wasn't all that into how the individual pieces of the family history fit together. I think a lot of those vignettes stand on their own though.

BTA

Magical realism isn't for everybody and I readily accept that, but I was all over What Remains of Edith Finch like Giant Bomb is on chiptune-inspired soundtracks come GotY time. That shit just fuels me.

I'm totally down for magical realism, and I liked that scene a lot! So I don't think that was the problem, hmm. I guess I never really formulated my thoughts on it after.

I feel like it spends so much time reveling in each death that there's very little time taken to explore how it affected the family overall. There is the house, but it's just kinda there to show how psychotic the granny "matriarch" is?

Yeah, actually, I think this hits a bit closer.
A lot of the deaths feel fairly distinct/disconnected without very much about their aftereffects. I'd also say get a good sense of what each member was like but not much of what they were actually like as a family, beyond some stuff when only Edith's immediate family and grandmother were left.

EDIT: Also,
I didn't dislike the ending, but it was... sorta exactly what I saw coming without much too it. I don't think it was intended to be much of a surprise, mind, but it was kinda abrupt and didn't really make me feel anything.

Joeku

Kind of literally, yes, but that's also not the point? It's hard to get into. It's a moody series of stories ruminating on life and death and what those things mean respectively, executed through a bunch of unique mechanics and really pretty visuals.

But again, I totally get why that shit doesn't work for everybody or just rolls through them.

Edith finch spoilers
just felt abrupt. She had to die because that's what the Finches do. I think I get what they're going for but I just wasn't all that into how the individual pieces of the family history fit together. I think a lot of those vignettes stand on their own though.

Hers was the
least fantastical or whimsical of them all. That she wrote a diary probably meant she knew there were going to be complications in the birth and visited the house to document the family just in case it went south. Which it did. :(

The childhood photos in the credits really got me and I'm not exactly sure why.

Antiwhippy

Kind of literally, yes, but that's also not the point? It's hard to get into. It's a moody series of stories ruminating on life and death and what those things mean respectively, executed through a bunch of unique mechanics and really pretty visuals.

But again, I totally get why that shit doesn't work for everybody or just rolls through them.

There's not enough life there though, is what I'm saying. At least not enough to make the other part work for me.

It felt like an indie film festival about death and while I liked the vignettes a lot, I need something stronger to tie them all together.

I can see that. For me, I so enjoyed filling in the blanks across the decades of this family. Not with any specificity, but with just a sort of an emotional through line that really resonated with me.

Joeku

Ok, yeah, will say
that was a really good touch in the credits
Fix your quote. But yeah, totally.
There's not enough life there though, is what I'm saying. At least not enough to make the other part work for me.

It felt like an indie film festival about death and while I liked the vignettes a lot, I need something stronger to tie them all together.
That's taking it as less of a mood piece than it seems to be presenting it as, but yeah, totally get that.
Through some clever financial maneuvering I have found myself in possession of the Beat Takeshi BR outfit in PUBG.
Don't spend dozens of dollars on a video game outfit.
I can see that. For me, I so enjoyed filling in the blanks across the decades of this family. Not with any specificity, but with just a sort of an emotional through line that really resonated with me.
Yeah, this, totally. Not without on Bio Infinite, SL, but with you on this.

Yeah, this, totally. Not without on Bio Infinite, SL, but with you on this.

You know, in the past couple years I've though back at the things I loved about Infinite and I'm pretty sure I would not enjoy them were I playing it for the first time now. I'm just looking for something so much different in games these days. I'll do myself a favor and never go back and play Infinite again because I enjoy the nostalgia that remains.

GTA 4 was the only time I had the same GOTY as them

and I was like 17 and didnt buy that many games

I was also 17 and thought it was pretty disappointing at the time.

I got off the boat, got that achievement, and never played GTA4 again.

Holy shit, you guys. No Man's Sky's next patch may well be No Man's Sky 2 if everything is true.

(Shameless own thread plug): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1417374

Hope they talk about it on the next Bombcast

That it is. It's good stuff.

Joeku

You know, in the past couple years I've though back at the things I loved about Infinite and I'm pretty sure I would not enjoy them were I playing it for the first time now. I'm just looking for something so much different in games these days. I'll do myself a favor and never go back and play Infinite again because I enjoy the nostalgia that remains.

In a morbid way seeing that happen would be terribly interesting. Not wanting to ruin your memories of what was a good thing, of course.

justjim89

I need to learn how to get spicier in PUBG. Just played my first round in about three months and came down to the top three. I had the drop on a guy with a SCAR and I still lost the altercation. Damn it.

Top Bottom