• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

I at least kinda respect hello games for not ghosting with all the money they made?

I appreciate that they're doing right by the game and the people who bought it but tbh I will never let it slide that they lied about that game having some form of multiplayer right up until the day it released. Fuck that and fuck them.

BTA

I appreciate that they're doing right by the game and the people who bought it but tbh I will never let it slide that they lied about that game having some form of multiplayer right up until the day it released. Fuck that and fuck them.

This always felt like a really weird thing to me because it probably wasn't a last minute cut? So they probably knew it was out of scope for a while.

I only ever played like 3 hours of NMS because streaming from my PS4 in the US to where I was in Japan when it came out was not great, and by the time I got home other stuff I cared more about was out. It always seemed like the type of game I could relax with (I like a lot of those resource/inventory loops) but it's hard for me to find time for those games when new stuff's out. This new update, at a glance, does seem to make it more likely I'll end up playing it though, particularly with it having more story.

I've found myself kind of rooting for NMS to have some big comeback story. I really enjoyed what was there at launch and I'm excited to jump back in for all this new stuff; it really seems like they're making good on the whole situation.

I feel like a lot of the backlash* kind of lost track of the fact that it's, like, a video game, from a small indie team at that. They got in over their heads and clearly said more than they should have before launch and people were right to be frustrated, but everyone being like I AM MORALLY OUTRAGED was a bit much.

* To be clear, with "backlash" I was referring to the crazy shit, the intense NMS Pre-Release-Defense-Force morphing into a ball of intense internet rage. Reasonable people being frustrated/angry was justified.

I've found myself kind of rooting for NMS to have some big comeback story. I really enjoyed what was there at launch and I'm excited to jump back in for all this new stuff; it really seems like they're making good on the whole situation.

I feel like a lot of the backlash kind of lost track of the fact that it's, like, a video game. They got in over their heads and clearly said more than they should have before launch and people were right to be frustrated, but everyone being like I AM MORALLY OUTRAGED was a bit much.

nah screw that, they asked for people's money and pulled the wool over everyone's eyes. Some people definitely took it too far but I'm not here for "it's just videogames" when they're lying about huge chunks. And like BTA said, there's no way they didn't know multiplayer wouldn't make it to ship until days, weeks, or even months before launch.

If this was any major publisher no one would be making excuses for them. And Sony bankrolled them so that excuse doesn't even fly.

I played NMS at release after watching the QL and hearing Alex's thoughts on it. I enjoyed it for what it was, but I don't have a burning desire to go back to see what they added with these updates.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
hnhdnh63gyi49khyerh3.gif

Devolver Digital is still weird. They'd make a documentary about the food choices of developers working on a fake game and make it 8 hours long. It's Devolver.

they'd also say they're taking money to make Serious Sam 4 then make 15 Serious Sam games that aren't Serious Sam 4

Agreed. I'm glad they are making significant improvements to their game, but a year later they still haven't even addressed why they thought it was okay to lie and mislead as much as they did. They don't deserve grace for that because they haven't done anything to earn it.

daveo42

Banned
So NMS is adding MP, though it seems somewhat limited.

they'd also say they're taking money to make Serious Sam 4 then make 15 Serious Sam games that aren't Serious Sam 4

And then spend that money on a documentary about the money itself and its grand journey from consumer hands to the bank to cyberspace and eventually into the pockets of some rich dude in California. It will also be 8 hours long.

the following games have been released since Croteam announced in 2013 that they were putting all the money they got from a Serious Sam Humble Bundle directly into the development of Serious Sam 4:

The Talos Principle
Serious Sam Classics: Revolution
Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope
Serious Sam VR: The First Encounter
Serious Sam VR: The Second Encounter
Serious Sam's Bogus Detour

in addition to that, the following games either have been announced or are in active development since then:

Serious Sam 3 VR
The Talos Principle VR
The Talos Principle 2
Serious Sam: I Hate Running Backwards
SCUM (open world early access survival etc etc co-developed by Croteam)

but on the bright side, here's everything we've seen of Serious Sam 4 in those four years:

Antiwhippy

Thing is while they like it pretty much everyone agreed that there are a lot of dumb design decisions around it, even the people who love it.

That's prime ammo right there.

hamchan

Since we're speaking of GOTY, does it feel like no else besides Jeff finished Horizon, and everyone else has expressed some variation of "I stopped playing after a while".

Antiwhippy

Since we're speaking of GOTY, does it feel like no else besides Jeff finished Horizon, and everyone else has expressed some variation of "I stopped playing after a while".

Rorie loved it.

But rorie isn't part of the discussions.

I think Dan did say that he finished it but he didn't really express an opinion about it.

bigkrev

The thing with GOTY this year are there are only 2 games (with a possible 3rd in Mario) that everyone agrees on and will be locked on the list- PUBG and Zelda

After that, it's just going to be each person putting one game they really believe in on the list. Apart from Alex with Nier Automata, I can't think of anything else for the rest of the staff though

daveo42

Banned
Splatoon 2 will make it on the list, thought it might be an East v West debate.
Vinny is moving back to SF

HZD's place on the list will be dependent on how much Jeff pushes.

selfnoise

Kinda really not into Alex and co. explaining to Abby why Bayonetta isn't bad to women. I wasn't expecting mansplaining from Alex of all people.

Edit: didn't think it was terrible, just tone deaf and made me cringe.

Top Bottom