• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

And yeah, Silent Hill 2 is a huge masterpiece. The story, the music, the setting, how everything comes together...man.

More than a decade later and I still think about it. Silent Hill 2 impacted me in a way that no other game ever did and it's perhaps the only game of its kind to change dramatically upon replaying it. Not in a gameplay kind of way but in a looking at the entire game in a different light kind of way and it's chilling as fuck.

Since we're talking about SH2. Here's James(Guy Cihi) commentating on the entire game. Pt.1 - Pt.2

I got enough Destiny by playing the Alpha three years ago. The level of obsession Brad and Dan have with the sequel it is a little unsettling.

they really enjoy it. i don't see anything unsettling about them expressing their love for the game. lots of good things about it, and i say this having played a ton of vanilla destiny, questioning myself for the amount of time i spent with it. and you're basing your dismissal of this new game off of your experience from an unfinished version of its predecessor three years ago?

anyway, i'm glad they talked up the adventures more in that podcast. those are really good. agreed with jeff though about the structure of the game funneling you through the content. i've also left a decent amount of them untouched after finishing the campaign and focusing on the post-game stuff to level up. will definitely go back to them once i've exhausted the weekly milestones because they definitely have the most interesting story bits.

Tubobutts

XdK7hEV.jpg
sL8IKJQ.gif

Im so excited

More than a decade later and I still think about it. Silent Hill 2 impacted me in a way that no other game ever did and it's perhaps the only game of its kind to change dramatically upon replaying it. Not in a gameplay kind of way but in a looking at the entire game in a different light kind of way and it's chilling as fuck.

Since we're talking about SH2. Here's James(Guy Cihi) commentating on the entire game. Pt.1 - Pt.2

Yeah Ive been meaning to watch that, have it saved in my bookmarks lol.

And yeah SH2...I can safely say no other game has eclipsed its story yet, not even MGS. There is an emotional commentary that SH2 presents that really defines its story, in a way no other game has. Its not making you cry or hitting that moment of "now you feel sad or angry or happy." like other games do with moments meant to make the player react..

Its the dread that it leaves you with. Its the realization that you cant block out dark moments of your life.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

And yeah SH2...I can safely say no other game has eclipsed its story yet, not even MGS. There is an emotional commentary that SH2 presents that really defines its story, in a way no other game has. Its not making you cry or hitting that moment of "now you feel sad or angry or happy." like other games do with moments meant to make the player react..

Its the dread that it leaves you with. Its the realization that you cant block out dark moments of your life.

Wait, why is MGS the metric used.

Not to be missed. Fascinating behind the scenes tidbits and Guy Cihi is a wonderful and very humbling person. Everyone was on their A game when it came to the first 3 SH games, especially 2. Man, I'm going to get depressed just thinking about what happened to Team Silent. They deserved so much more.

Its one of the greatest stories ever told

Not to be missed. Fascinating behind the scenes tidbits and Guy Cihi is a wonderful and very humbling person. Everyone was on their A game when it came to the first 3 SH games, especially 2. Man, I'm going to get depressed just thinking about what happened to Team Silent. They deserved so much more.

Thats good to hear about the commentary. And yeah the first 3 games are something special.

I can see why since MGS brought cutscenes, voice acting and cinematography together in a way that other games didn't and you could argue still don't. The craziest thing about MGS is how Kojima was able to craft a story that started from the late 80's and somewhat linked it all together in a way that feels like he's been planning this shit all long(except for the retcons of course). You can like or hate it but no other franchise functioned in the way MGS did. I'm a firm believer that you could make an argument about why a certain MGS game is the best and you'd probably have people agreeing with you. On a personal level, MGS4 is my favorite. In my mind, MGS3 is. MGS4 for me holds a special place in my heart because I was on the long haul with the franchise and MGS4 in its entirety was a very cathartic experience for me even with all the over the top, dumbshit stuff that happens( MGS has kind of always been like that).

Antiwhippy

Just because he can link it doesn't mean that he linked it well.

I still stand by MGS2 as a standalone story but the rest are ehhhhhhhhhhhh.

The series as a whole to me is just a perfect example of auteur bloat.

Hindl

The series as a whole to me is just a perfect example of auteur bloat.
I'm with you whippy MGS2 is my favorite and it can stand on its own

TraBuch

Banned
As someone who has no attachment to the source material and am able to overlook the whitewashing, is there any entertainment to be had from the Ghost in the Shell movie?

Which is why I mentioned he made it seem like he planned it all along when in reality he didn't. I love MGS2 but if I were to choose between it or 3. I would choose 3 because it's kind of where everything started and there's a certain warmth as well as sadness to that game that I really dig. As I mentioned though my personal favorite is MGS4. I'll never forget when I played the game for the first time and you see just how old Snake is, it struck me in just how real it felt that the time passed from MGS2 to 4 felt that the character got old for real? I guess you could say.

It's not just that he's old but he's old and sick of this shit yet he can't help but try to fix the shit he's been apart of in one way or another. I mean aside from that, 4 is kind of a love letter to the series in general with call backs and all sorts of other nostalgia inducing shit that just makes the entire thing feel satisfying as fuck. Like when I think about long gaming franchises that ended, none ended like the MGS series did. Was it crazy, absurd, stupid, genius, masterful, what the fuckness? Yes, it was and it was wonderful. We'll never have anything like it and yes I teared up at Act 4 and the ending. I didn't even care about most of the BS BB said by the end but when he said this line before he died "this is good, isn't it?" fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck. MGS4 is filled with such moments in between all the madness.

The only consistent thing about the MGS franchise(for the most part) is the soundtrack. All of the games have amazing soundtracks.

e: I feel that some of the impact of MGS4 is lost if you haven't been playing the series since MGS1 when it came out back in the day.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
As someone who has no attachment to the source material and am able to overlook the whitewashing, is there any entertainment to be had from the Ghost in the Shell movie?
Just like avatar, it's only redeeming quality is that it is visually gorgeous.

Smoke a bunch of weed and watch it on mute with like some HEALTH playing in the back or a Trent reznor soundtrack on shuffle.

There are worse ways to spend 2 hours. I didn't find it terrible and it looks really good but it is a very middling movie.

Antiwhippy

MGS2 to me just felt like the most cohesive MGS overall in terms of trying to deliver a message.

Helps that it also became chillingly relevant in some ways in 2016...

Antiwhippy

To be fair I never quite knew if that was platinum or kojima when it comes to MGR.

Brad: "There are some things I like better from Destiny 1."

Destiny 2 going to win Most disappointing confirmed.

BOTW is a really good game... but it's not even the best Zelda.

Mario / Rabbids is great so far.

Mario Odyssey looks like it will be great too but let's not get overhyped by a few trailers now m8.

I want more than 3 games in 12 months, regardless of how good those 3 games are.

not even including the kinda solid third party support in a handful of indies (snipperclips, stardew valley, golf story, etc) switch's first year absolutely crushes wii u... i got a wii u at launch. no thank u !

Antiwhippy

Really good Turn Up with Ben & jeff. I think my favourite part about this site is still just Jeff talking about anything.

not even including the kinda solid third party support in a handful of indies (snipperclips, stardew valley, golf story, etc) switch's first year absolutely crushes wii u... i got a wii u at launch. no thank u !

Well, yeah. Wii U had a super dull first year. I'd also put Switch over the other current consoles for its first year, even if we're counting Zelda as a Wii U game. Not the greatest or near it, but pretty solid.

It's also true the Switch's first year is better if you were like the vast majority of people and skipped the Wii U.

Although Game & Wario doesn't get enough respect for the drawing miiverse game.

Nerokis

I didn't even know anything about MGS1 before playing 2 other than a vague idea that snake is the main character and I was still shook from the switcheroo.

MGS2 is fantastic, and I remember that for the longest time it seemed to be polarizing at best. I'm glad that these days I consistently see it brought up as one of the best of the series.

But now that I think about it, I'm not sure which is my favorite between 1, 2, and 3. They each have their strengths. It's easy to forget just what an amazing trilogy of games that was after years and years of debate surrounding 4's story and then 5's absence of one.

BTA

Apparently PayPal has decided there's a problem with me using it but won't tell me what; my order for DR V3 at NISA didn't go through, which thankfully NISA emailed me about, but I can't send money or add to my balance either. PayPal claims it's my bank (of course) even though I've used it like this for probably 5+ years without issue and calling my bank confirms that. Their site vaguely indicates there might be a problem with my profile information due to me moving recently but the link to the place to fix it does not work and going there manually reveals no clear way to fix it.

also the pizza I ordered got cold because PayPal called me back just as it arrived (just to tell me "it's your bank probably") so I'm even more pissed

I'm gonna call them again and wait another hour to be called back I guess.

BTA

I hope none of you ever have to call PayPal because their phone system is atrocious. It's all voice recognition and it sucks and it's super annoying to get to just getting to talk to a human because they seem to intentionally obscure it.

TheChits

Silent Hill 2 is probably a top ten game of all time, and for me the best narrative in a game. That scene with Angela on the stairs is masterful

BTA

Earlier they at least just called me back later. This time they told me the hold time would be 30-50 minutes but still just dropped me into constant PayPal/eBay hot tips hell while I wait, so now I'm trying to play a game without ignoring it so much that I can't hear an actual person take over.

I think this is my hell?

An hour into Nier Automata Route C... so far this is even more baffling than the other two! I'm hype though. I think I did as many side quests as I can take in Route B so I'll probably just plow through to the end this weekend.

Antiwhippy

An hour into Nier Automata Route C... so far this is even more baffling than the other two! I'm hype though. I think I did as many side quests as I can take in Route B so I'll probably just plow through to the end this weekend.

I can't quite remember jhow the beginning is paced. Which part are you up to?

Top Bottom