• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

BTA

I almost read that Nier: A spoiler thinking it was a fake spoiler like the post above since I didn't read that it was Nier: A first before clicking, whoops.

I don't know how I imagined to avoid reading any of it but I'm proud of myself.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Welp, finished Nier Automata. That was... a lot.

Okay so I promise I had no special knowledge earlier when I posted a guess about 2B being a type-E unit. I just had finished that one sidequest about the type-Es and everything kinda fell in place. I do feel bad that someone else might have read that without having finished the game and had their fun ruined though...

Anyway uh... so I'll admit route endings C and D left me kinda cold, but ending E? Holy shit. Genius is the only way to describe it. Just immensely powerful. In the end I never felt especially attached to the characters, but they were serviceable as vehicles to get to the real meat of the game, which is the absolutely incredible exploration of existentialism and humanity. This is definitely a literary game in a way that so few games even try to be, much less succeed at.

Yeah i considered posting something when you posted that but decided that it might give away too much. :p

It does show how well the game builds that up though, even if most people don't see that for awhile.

Joeku

Welp, finished Nier Automata. That was... a lot.

Okay so I promise I had no special knowledge earlier when I posted a guess about 2B being a type-E unit. I just had finished that one sidequest about the type-Es and everything kinda fell in place. I do feel bad that someone else might have read that without having finished the game and had their fun ruined though...

Anyway uh... so I'll admit route endings C and D left me kinda cold, but ending E? Holy shit. Genius is the only way to describe it. Just immensely powerful. In the end I never felt especially attached to the characters, but they were serviceable as vehicles to get to the real meat of the game, which is the absolutely incredible exploration of existentialism and humanity. This is definitely a literary game in a way that so few games even try to be, much less succeed at.

tenor.gif

Mmm-hmm. It is good shit.
What did you set as your message when you let your save go?

Antiwhippy

BTW I'd say C & D is meant to
leave you cold for the catharsis of E. You just spent a whole route seeing things go to shit and ending in shit really. :p

BTA

I'm hoping to get to Automata in November or December. I don't think there's much out past Odyssey that I'll be playing...? At least, that's currently announced.

Right now I just need to pick up the pace on Platting the original; I need to farm materials more often than once a week or two.

imBask

Banned
I'm actually surprised to hear that, because I don't even think route A as anything other than just good when I first played it.

I have a couple of issues with it so far, but the good parts are just really really good

I just
fought a giant fish robot thingy and it was awesome

Ending E of Nier Automata is fantastic because
it's basically the players rebelling against the devs to get the happy ending that the devs had not written with the previous "true" ending. It's genius. It's like the game breaks the fourth wall in a way no game has ever done before.

Ending E of Nier Automata is fantastic because
it's basically the players rebelling against the devs to get the happy ending that the devs had not written with the previous "true" ending. It's genius. It's like the game breaks the fourth wall in a way no game has ever done before.

It works on like a dozen different levels. It's wild.

tenor.gif

Mmm-hmm. It is good shit.
What did you set as your message when you let your save go?

"I've walked the same road as you. One thing is certain: never give up the struggle!"

also I want
"Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment"
on like a fucking frame on my wall.

Antiwhippy

Thing is nier talk comes in spurts as people play or finish it. It's not like it's something most of this thread is playing and talking about constantly. :p

But even then it's not like I go around complaining about people talking about destiny in here. I don't want to yuck their yum.

I was feeling Destiny 2 until the raid came out. Really kind of soured me on the whole thing. Probably the worst one they've put out.

Nier: A still my number 1. No idea what the rest of my top 10 will be.

BTA

Nier is totally getting cut from the top 10 this year so Destiny 2 can make it.

I feel it in my bones

There's no way it doesn't rank.

It might be a high number but with Alex and Ben (and Jason?) ready to fight and Vinny likely ending up at least liking it, not to mention Abby potentially playing it...

I was feeling Destiny 2 until the raid came out. Really kind of soured me on the whole thing. Probably the worst one they've put out.

Nier: A still my number 1. No idea what the rest of my top 10 will be.

Yeah. This raid seemingly sucks. Like...you raid to fight bosses.
Having a bunch of puzzles and only one boss sucks. Putting the puzzles between the bosses would be fine but..

Yeah. This raid seemingly sucks. Like...you raid to fight bosses.
Having a bunch of puzzles and only one boss sucks. Putting the puzzles between the bosses would be fine but..

And the final boss
is an amazingly boring fight. Especially for the half of the team going inside. I was literally looking at twitter and gaf as we were running it because I had so little to do.

And the final boss
is an amazingly boring fight. Especially for the half of the team going inside. I was literally looking at twitter and gaf as we were running it because I had so little to do.

Yeah. Like, in concept it seems like an interesting fight. IT takes Oryx whole teleportation bubble where it takes you in one-by-one but also adds a communication aspect to it. But it's boring for the people who have to call out, cause there's not much to do otherwise.

It seems like a lackluster raid. And for being the raid of a new beginning for Destiny 2, an introductory raid to prove to Bungie that resetting everything was the right decision, it falls in that aspect.

Lari

"It" was really good!
I just wish they wouldn't rely so much on having sound underscore a lot of the scares, it put me off more than it built tension in some spots.
I'd still recommend watching it tho.

Has Brad already completed the raid in D2? I know Jeff said that they'd probably stream it once they had enough people at a high enough power level. I can't see them having a good time. Or completing it in one sitting unless they have people helping them and aren't going in blind. Some of the encounters are obtuse, on top of being buggy.

I wouldn't say the endings to C and D left me cold, but yeah, ending E also blew me away with how much it recontextualized my entire 40-something hour experience with the game.

There are numerous flaws with Nier: Automata, but it really is one of those games I'd put on a pedestal as doing something special with tbe medium.

also who needs a dude to go into the destiny 2 raid blind before the weekend is over

edit: i was going to post this before the destiny talk started again but i had to go do something and now after seeing all these posts i also see that i am maybe the rare flower that really likes both nier automata and destiny 2

"It" was really good!
I just wish they wouldn't rely so much on having sound underscore a lot of the scares, it put me off more than it built tension in some spots.
I'd still recommend watching it tho.

It was a fun movie, thats for sure. Alot funnier than expected, too!

oti

Banned
Has Brad already completed the raid in D2? I know Jeff said that they'd probably stream it once they had enough people at a high enough power level. I can't see them having a good time. Or completing it in one sitting unless they have people helping them and aren't going in blind. Some of the encounters are obtuse, on top of being buggy.

I'm kinda close to giving up on playing the raid to be honest. Never done one of those myself but trying to get enough people together without having an established group sounds like too much work. I think I'll just watch their stream and if it looks really good I'll try to make it happen.

Joeku

I'm this close to being that fucking asshole that rebuys it on PS4 just so I can do it all again, while it's on sale. Not that Taro or Platinum need more acclaim for it.

Destiny 2 does seem like a easy platinum though.

Once you have a raid party willing to slog through that thing on hard.

You just have to do NF on hard. This week's is super easy. And you only need one trials win for that trophy.

I'm kinda close to giving up on playing the raid to be honest. Never done one of those myself but trying to get enough people together without having an established group sounds like too much work. I think I'll just watch their stream and if it looks really good I'll try to make it happen.

DGAF is actually a pretty good community. Hit people up in the thread or on Discord if you're looking for a group.

Yeah, I'm not super into getting trophies, but it's neat that Bungie made it so that one particular trophy can be earned by doing either a raid or a nightfall. Haven't touched the raid yet, but nightfalls are generally exponentially easier. Shouldn't be too hard for anyone willing to put in the effort unlike raids which can just sap the energy out of determined players.

Zeroro

I love Persona 5, but you better believe it'll barely make it into their discussions in any category other than Best Style/Best Music.

Tubobutts

I want Des2ny to be both in the most disappointing and in the top 10. I haven't played it so I don't know if it is disappointing in any way, but the tradition needs to be kept alive.

Top Bottom