• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

oti

Banned

I like these.

HTB12if8aOFTMKJjSZFAq6AkJpXa9.jpg

Mhhh... I do have a pair of boring Grey Joy-Con...

Edit: nvm, looks like too much work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DFv2512vXw

patapuf

I keep looking at my PS4 and Steam libraries but can't find the motivation to start anything. I think I just need to start another game, though this break has let me catch up on a ton of anime.

UT is still a giant hole in the list of games I should play, but this is still part of the reason I haven't gone back to it after stopping very early on. Interacting with the certain portions of the UT fanbase who feel this way is still sours my impression of the game.

I don't think one even can play undertale wrong. The available paths are incredibly obvious and people will naturally gravitate to the one they like.

daveo42

Banned
You're most of the way to learning the correct lesson here: don't interact with the fanbase. Play the thing and see where it takes you. Honestly the earliest parts of it are the roughest, but eventually, if you're into weird turn-based RPGs, it will grab you and you'll know when you want to get off the ride.

Yeah, I'll eventually start it over at some point.

I don't think one even can play undertale wrong. The available paths are incredibly obvious and people will naturally gravitate to the one they like.

The argument feels less like "you are playing it wrong" and more like "you need to have the same experience I had and feel the same things I felt" and falling short of that means there must be something wrong with you. Granted, I probably fell into an argument with people on GAF that represent the absolute worst aspects of that fandom.

Jintor

i mean it depends on your purposes right, like, i probably wouldn't entertain a nier:a GOTY discussion or more structured critique that didn't play until ending e because if i have, and you haven't, we're basically talking about different games.

but if we're just talking about 'i like thing/i don't like thing', then live and let live man

Strax

Yeah I feel like if gamers or the gaming media gave even half a shit about sports games this stuff would be getting absolutely assblasted right now. 2k must know they can get away with it because no one outside operation sports gives a fuck about sports games.

Yeah, on GB you hear 1-2 a year "yeah their servers are bad" and pretty much it for any shade thrown in 2Ks way.

Been pushing through Prey to get it done and dusted before the year is out so I can make sensible comparisons with some of the other games out this year. I actually think its a really compelling game and is very well made, but man fuck all of the ammo babysitting bullshit. Just let me play the game, inventory micro-management is not fun.

Tubobutts

Yeah, on GB you hear 1-2 a year "yeah their servers are bad" and pretty much it for any shade thrown in 2Ks way.
The ironic thing is that the servers have been fine this year so far. It's just the VC stuff has gotten out of control, even more so than last year.

convo

Project Beast was bad and boring.

This should better mean that the feature and Dan were terrible and not the actual game. I'd say i enjoyed Yakuza 0 more than P5 this year, just because of the extensive side-stories and activities. Demon summoning and fusing was fun but there is wasn't that much more to do for me in town since Yakuza's version of a japanese city is more dense and higher fidelity.
The promised day where Sega will actually help Atlus out on some technical stuff will happen and then we will see some real shit more often.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
This should better mean that the feature and Dan were terrible and not the actual game. I'd say i enjoyed Yakuza 0 more than P5 this year, just because of the extensive side-stories and activities. Demon summoning and fusing was fun but there is wasn't that much more to do for me in town since Yakuza's version of a japanese city is more dense and higher fidelity.
The promised day where Sega will actually help Atlus out on some technical stuff will happen and then we will see some real shit more often.

Wrong Beast series.

convo

Wrong Beast series.

Is it Kerbal? East coast needs new branding if they keep on using beast for everything.
I wouldn't mind the return of it just to raise more gravity and space related questions that were never answered before they stepped in the world of astronomy.

Ending E of Nier Automata is fantastic because
it's basically the players rebelling against the devs to get the happy ending that the devs had not written with the previous "true" ending. It's genius. It's like the game breaks the fourth wall in a way no game has ever done before.

SC6SKQM.gif

The way some of you guys hate Destiny talk is exactly how I feel about Nier discussions. 🤮

Thing is though, Nier only gets talked about when A) someone is playing the game & B) someone finished the game. That's about it.
Has Brad already completed the raid in D2? I know Jeff said that they'd probably stream it once they had enough people at a high enough power level. I can't see them having a good time. Or completing it in one sitting unless they have people helping them and aren't going in blind. Some of the encounters are obtuse, on top of being buggy.

I was going to play the raid yesterday but after seeing what it was all about I said FUCK THAT. Seems like a pain in the ass in not a fun way, at all. Like, lets add all this bullshit to make the raid seem longer than it really is. Definitely not wasting my time on that.

oti

Banned
NEW FEATURE IDEA:

They should play through EVERY MARIO GAME in coop mode. Add in some meta game. Done. A million new subscribers right there.

A Kiwami BitE would probably be kind of boring, now that I'm about halfway through it. I can't even find the motivation to finish it. The story sucks, the characters are boring except for the few new scenes they added in, the substories are bad, and the boss fights are way worse than in 0 for some reason. I really liked 0 and I really don't like Kiwami. It's just super charmless outside of the Majima stuff and the few new substories they added in.

Meneses

It is inferior to Zero (which makes sense considering Zero is way more recent and there's only so much they can do with the remake).

Zero was just a perfect blend of serious and fun, with a cool story and characters and the best soundtrack in years.

I set it aside for now since i'm pretty much only playing Destiny in the little free time I have.

Lunar FC

A Kiwami BitE would probably be kind of boring, now that I'm about halfway through it. I can't even find the motivation to finish it. The story sucks, the characters are boring except for the few new scenes they added in, the substories are bad, and the boss fights are way worse than in 0 for some reason. I really liked 0 and I really don't like Kiwami. It's just super charmless outside of the Majima stuff and the few new substories they added in.

It can actually get more boring than 0? We're in for a real treat. 😒

Feel exactly the same way. I've stopped playing after starting chapter 9. I hope GB don't bother with it. I'd rather them play something else.

Antiwhippy

Hmm, i was kinda disappointed when i heard that it didn't hold up, but i think they should persist for 2. I remember some pretty great things from 2.

Yakuza 0 is like top 5 games of the year for me personally, so having Kiwami being bad is strange, because the games are barely different apart from story.

Antiwhippy

From the sound of things it's the combat, which is always the roughest part of yakuza games, but the further you go back the more archaic they are.

hamchan

There are large parts of Kiwami's main story that are only at the level of side story quality of future games in the series.

I still really enjoyed it, because it's Yakuza, but you can see how it was the first game of the series and the PS2 influences. It is super jarring coming right after playing 0, especially if 0 is the first of the series you've played, though I would still say that's the best order to play it for story purposes.

It did make me appreciate how far the series has come.

Yakuza 0 is like top 5 games of the year for me personally, so having Kiwami being bad is strange, because the games are barely different apart from story.

Yeah I've said this before but it's a great case study in how you can take 2 games using the exact same assets and mechanics and yet have one be just orders of magnitude better due to better storytelling, pacing, writing, etc. Also, I'm hesitant to bring this up because I'm tired of the defense force, but Yakuza 1 really is searingly misogynist and has some gross transphobia. It really put me off. The series has never been great wrt representation of women and minorities, 0 had some issues too, but it's really bad in 1.

Valtýr

Kiwami plays literally identical to Zero because they updated all the mechanics of the original Yakuza to match Zero. So the combat is the same as is the basic structure of the game.

Kiwami isn't as good of a game because it's based on the original Yakuza so the story isn't as good, you just play as Kiryu and it only takes place in Kamorucho. It's a much simplier game.

Also you probably shouldnt play both back to back since they're so similar. Super easy to burnout. I played through Zero and my girlfriend is playing Kiwami and she's having a good time since she just watched Zero and now gets to play. I'm enjoying it because I had to play Zero and now only have to watch Kiwami.

Antiwhippy

Hey at least in 2 you get to fight a fucking (spoiler but it's probably the most well known thing about the yakuza series)
a tiger.

I liked Kiwami (and Y0 is one of my top three of the year so far), but holy christ some of those boss fights are lame as shit

One of the reasons I bought Kiwami was for the steelbook instead of wanting to play it right away because right now, I have it shelved till Christmas. Don't want to play it right now because I've played the game before and I don't want to burn out on Yakuza.

Giganteus

Hmm, i was kinda disappointed when i heard that it didn't hold up, but i think they should persist for 2. I remember some pretty great things from 2.
No, they shouldn't have to slog through an entire game so they can see some some good moments in the sequel that you liked, moments you can look up on Youtube. That makes no sense.

Kiwami is going to be painful for them and everyone else who isn't crazy. I fear for Dan's sanity if they play Kiwami.

Top Bottom