• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

kiguel182

If they play the original instead of the remake at least it won't be the exact same game as Zero with a different story then.

Or they should just do Shenmue 2.

No, they shouldn't have to slog through an entire game so they can see some some good moments in the sequel that you liked, moments you can look up on Youtube. That makes no sense.

Kiwami is going to be painful for them and everyone else who isn't crazy. I fear for Dan's sanity if they play Kiwami.

I think Alex or Vinny should drive the next BITE. Aside from that, the game's story is still worth seeing it through. As it is generally the case when it comes to the Yakuza series.

hamchan

I think even the weakest Yakuza game would be better than whatever you lot can think for them to play lol.

Except for Shenmue 2. They have to play that. The first ER is glorious.

Hmm, so are you guys willing for BitE to die off then?

0W5lP6G.gif

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Also seriously, since when do we shy away from the giantbombcrew slogging away at games? They slogged through Shemnue 1, and are currently slogging through mario sunshine & kingdom hearts. And historically we have deadly premonition & bioforge.

We don't require them to be actually happy about what they're playing.

hamchan

Want them to do the new Life is Strange episodes which seem to be surprisingly good after everyone hated the idea of a prequel.

Also Alex seemed pretty adamant about doing Kiwami, so the only way BitE dies off is if Dan somehow kills it, which would be cruel after forcing everyone to play bad Mario games and destroying the ExCorps from the inside.

Catvoca

Banned
I'd rather see them play the original Yakuza with the weird English VO. At least that would be something different.

Or they could just kill it off, which would probably be for the best.

Valtýr

I honestly still never understood why BITE was pitched by Alex, essentially run by Alex... but Alex didn't play. Boggles my mind. If they do Kiwami or the original PS2 game... Alex needs to play. Nobody wants to watch Dan begrudgingly play a game he doesn't like.

I think Alex or Vinny should drive the next BITE. Aside from that, the game's story is still worth seeing it through. As it is generally the case when it comes to the Yakuza series.

It really isn't in Kiwami's case. It's not a good story.

I liked BitE but I think I'm fine with it being a one-off, the commitment to doing all of the games is insane, that's gonna tie them up for years. I'd rather they do one-offs in general. More adventure games and FMV games where the narrative is in more concentrated doses. We already have SMS for watching them play bad games for the gameplay.

Hasney

I love the story in Kiwami. It was so good, I couldn't put it down and finished it in the period of a Sunday and Monday night after work before it even released. Hell, I even knew the sorry going in but I love it so much.

Valtýr;249148376 said:
I honestly still never understood why BITE was pitched by Alex, essentially run by Alex... but Alex didn't play. Boggles my mind. If they do Kiwami or the original PS2 game... Alex needs to play. Nobody wants to watch Dan begrudgingly play a game he doesn't like.

To be fair, prior to it happening, Dan was pretty open to it and wanted to like it, so it was like everyone had their role with Vinny producing as well.

I'd probably be much happier if Dan wasn't involved in a potential Kiwami one. Without the controls, I can see him talking even more tangents.

It really isn't in Kiwami's case. It's not a good story.

When it comes to video game stories you could do a lot worse than Yakuza 1/Kiwami. I loved it. I mean, it's the reason I got hooked onto the Yakuza series and played the rest of the games as they came out. People who started with Yakuza 0 as their first game is a different thing all together though.

hamchan

I actually really like Kiryu's main story in Kiwami too.

It's the stuff with Date's daughter and stuff with the Florist's son that are irrelevant, unusually placed in the middle of the story, and feels more like side story.

But the story with Kiryu, Nishiki, Yumi and Haruka, all pretty damn good.

mike6467

I'm enjoying Kiwami, but I think if they play it, they should be main missioning the entire time. No side stories, no mini games, just the story. That isn't that long of an effort and would keep the continuity going for 2, but I'm biased because I really loved 2.

LiK

I actually really like Kiryu's main story in Kiwami too.

It's the stuff with Date's daughter and stuff with the Florist's son that are irrelevant, unusually placed in the middle of the story, and feels more like side story.

Damn right! Y1 is beloved for a reason. So good. Can't wait for you guys to play Y2.

I'm enjoying Kiwami, but I think if they play it, they should be main missioning the entire time. No side stories, no mini games, just the story. That isn't that long of an effort and would keep the continuity going for 2, but I'm biased because I really loved 2.

Yeah, also considering that most of the sidequests in Kiwami are just "beat down the scammer".

Though I think they should do some of the more elaborate sidequests, such as the hostesses.

Valtýr

Yeah. Having Kiryu in the forefront makes him a more compelling character. Zero does him a disservice IMO because Majima is SO MUCH more interesting and it becomes pretty clear he's the main character of that game.

If we're talking about Abby playing a game, I want her to play Bayonetta. It's on steam for 20$. Really interested in her take on the character and game as a whole.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Hmm, so are you guys willing for BitE to die off then?

I am, but only because BitE doesn't fit my video-watching style at all.
I like to have the longer videos in the background while I play something like XCOM. But since those lazy, lazy cost-conscious and probably ultimately smart dummys at Sega decided not to localize Yakuza it's pretty much impossible.

"Also the "moment-to-moment" gameplay in Yakuza looks booooooooooooooooring as hell. In the time I watched, which was the first ~7 episodes, it was just "run from A to B. Some dialogue box with quirky dialog starts. Then boring as shit combat or more running around with some fun stuff in between."

At least this is what I wanted to write but halfway through I realized that that's basically videogames and I'm an idiot for writing this. I don't really know why I find Yakuza so boring to watch, at least I can't articulate why.

If we're talking about Abby playing a game, I want her to play Bayonetta. It's on steam for 20$. Really interested in her take on the character and game as a whole.

I know what you mean, but we all know it would probably turn into "angry people are angry somebody disagrees with them" if she doesn't do a 180.
If anything, they should play to Abby's strengths and make her play Outlast or some other horror game.

Valtýr;249150288 said:
Yeah. Having Kiryu in the forefront makes him a more compelling character. Zero does him a disservice IMO because Majima is SO MUCH more interesting and it becomes pretty clear he's the main character of that game.

But Kiryu isn't more interesting in Kiwami than in 0. You've just discovered that he's a boring character. He's a good straight man for the wacky substories, that's about it.

Antiwhippy

I am, but only because BitE doesn't fit my video-watching style at all.
I like to have the longer videos in the background while I play something like XCOM. But since those lazy, lazy cost-conscious and probably ultimately smart dummys at Sega decided not to localize Yakuza it's pretty much impossible.

"Also the "moment-to-moment" gameplay in Yakuza looks booooooooooooooooring as hell. In the time I watched, which was the first ~7 episodes, it was just "run from A to B. Some dialogue box with quirky dialog starts. Then boring as shit combat or more running around with some fun stuff in between."

At least this is what I wanted to write but halfway through I realized that that's basically videogames and I'm an idiot for writing this. I don't really know why I find Yakuza so boring to watch, at least I can't articulate why.

Eh, that's because that's kinda what it was? Especially with Dan where he does nothing but mash and can't even consistently do the same heat moves over and over again. :p

The basic combat in Yakuza is never amazing though. You play it just to see the different heat moves.

BTA

I finished the orignal Yakuza, the Playstation 2 original, earlier in the year. Its fine.

I played it about a year ago and really enjoyed it. Importantly, I have not played 0. If 0's as good as people are saying and the remake did not adjust 1 much to match, that's gonna be a significant jump back in quality. I think it held up fine as an old PS2 game but if I was expecting something on the level as the most recent game I'd probably be pretty disappointed.

I'm excited to play 2 in any case.

Yeah I've said this before but it's a great case study in how you can take 2 games using the exact same assets and mechanics and yet have one be just orders of magnitude better due to better storytelling, pacing, writing, etc. Also, I'm hesitant to bring this up because I'm tired of the defense force, but Yakuza 1 really is searingly misogynist and has some gross transphobia. It really put me off. The series has never been great wrt representation of women and minorities, 0 had some issues too, but it's really bad in 1.

This is also true though. That fucking transphobic sidestory really really bothered me especially as it came out of nowhere.

William

I would like to see GB East play some mystery adventure games like the Nancy Drew ones Abby liked. Maybe the Sherlock series Justin McElroy was talking about years ago at E3.

Antiwhippy

Seriously, vinny should stop playing destiny 2 and play a game that actually matters like divinity 2.

He would love the dm mode.

Lari

I fell off Beast in the East around episode 10... but I was enjoying it up to that point.

Now i'm on that weird space where I think too much time has passed and i'm not sure I can pick it back up.

Top Bottom