• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

I'm not even joking they should play the first three Myst games

1363.gif

After spending some time with D2, post content wise. Here are other annoying things I found out about the game.

- Mods and fusing weapons are not explained and you think you understand them when you look at them but you'll find yourself confused once you dabble with these systems. You do understand them after doing so but that just sucks.

- You hit a soft cap around light level 260-265 and here's the shitty thing about it. Unless you're going to get exotic drops then good luck with leveling up from there because every drop is going to be capped around those numbers except for exotic drops. You could get past this level of course but there are specific things you have to do like exotic quests, weekly nightfall, weekly flashpoint, raid.etc but it sucks that there is an even better pathway than that which is not turning in anything to NPCs post content wise until you're around those levels so that whatever you get is around or better than what your light level is. Like all my early exotics are sort of useless now. Doing it early sure is fucking tempting though but trust me, hold out and just do adventures, crucible, strikes and public events and use only what you get from those to level up. Save the world and exotic quests for the soft cap.

- The game doesn't tell you about luminous engrams which are engrams that improve with your character's level so, not going to Zavala and taking his reward post game will be the smart thing to do because the numbers on the engram rise up with your light level so, it's better that you do so when you hit the soft cap. Other regular engrams from what I know don't improve, light wise so it's better using them as soon as you get them instead of saving them up.

- Adventure missions(side missions) are super interesting but ultimately incredibly disappointing because since I don't know shit about the world, I'm just left scratching my head all over.

- The game doesn't tell you the importance of clans in how much you benefit from them so it is important that you throw yourself into a clan from the get go instead of later. Matchmaking or should I say guided games when it comes to Nightfall and the like sucks because they are not flexible enough. So, let me get this straight, I can't do matchmaking because I am in a clan? and why is that? I don't want to quit the clan because I still want the benefits YET I also want to use guided games because no one in the clan is playing at the moment or they're all strangers to me, y'know? For the love of all that is holy, just put in regular matchmaking for fucks sake.

- NPC's are ultimately useless because you'll be amassing 9999999999999 glimmer many times over the course of the game and you'll have nothing to spend it on except for small useless shit(with the exception of mods).

Anyways, I'm done with Destiny 2. Bring on fuckin' Cuphead.

see? destiny is bad

It's average, but man is it fucking annoying and ultimately disappointing when you think about how much better this could and should have been. As of right now, it is what Destiny 1 should have been for the most part but it doesn't feel like a full on sequel.

e: The lust and grind for better loot is blinding some people but I guess if that's enough for you then yeah, this is great I guess.

Meguro

Banned
It's average, but man is it fucking annoying and ultimately disappointing when you think about how much better this could and should have been. As of right now, it is what Destiny 1 should have been for the most part but it doesn't feel like a full on sequel.

e: The lust and grind for better loot is blinding some people but I guess if that's enough for you then yeah, this is great I guess.

Well...
I think Destiny 2 is pretty good and I wouldn't say I'm "blinded" by loot.
People have different opinions on this!

BTA

I spent the morning playing more (which is to say most of, after starting a month or two ago) of The Witch's Isle on my phone and if you like weird point and click-ish adventure games it's neat. Nothing particularly amazing beyond the art but I really like the atmosphere and it's cool to see what seems to be a Japanese indie game made by like, one or two people get translated?

I think Jeff is just talking about
the appearance of Rabbid Mario with the Ukulele

I haven't heard when he said this but I thought someone earlier in the thread said it was
Peach showing up with a shotgun
but I guess that's the end of world 2, hmm.

Zaph

- You hit a soft cap around light level 260-265 and here's the shitty thing about it. Unless you're going to get exotic drops then good luck with leveling up from there because every drop is going to be capped around those numbers except for exotic drops. You could get past this level of course but there are specific things you have to do like exotic quests, weekly nightfall, weekly flashpoint, raid.etc but it sucks that there is an even better pathway than that which is not turning in anything to NPCs post content wise until you're around those levels so that whatever you get is around or better than what your light level is. Like all my early exotics are sort of useless now. Doing it early sure is fucking tempting though but trust me, hold out and just do adventures, crucible, strikes and public events and use only what you get from those to level up. Save the world and exotic quests for the soft cap.

It's real bullshit if you don't gear in the "correct" order, you're permanently behind the power curve. Unless you're willing to switch to an alt class.

Guess that means I'll just have to play more 😏

Meguro

Banned
2 questions.

1) Are you playing with friends or alone?
2) What's the best moment to you in the campaign?

1) A mix of the two. I played through half of the campaign solo.
2) Destiny 2 spoilers I guess!
I enjoyed the entire last "act" of the game starting with the first Tank mission. It's hard to pinpoint this to a singular moment. It just was a solid string of missions, not necessarily storywise but you know.

1) A mix of the two. I played through half of the campaign solo.
2) Destiny 2 spoilers I guess!
I enjoyed the entire last "act" of the game starting with the first Tank mission. It's hard to pinpoint this to a singular moment. It just was a solid string of missions, not necessarily storywise but you know.

I played most of the game alone and some of it with another friend. The rest of my friends are not interested in Destiny 2 after dropping hard from the first one. I wasn't going to get it but I'm a sucker when it comes to "I GOTTA KNOW MYSELF" and well, yeah, now I know. Playing the game alone is so boring, especially if you were to grind shit. It is a perfect podcast game though!

As with your second point, here's the problem. Much like you, I enjoyed those sections but then it hit me. That Bungie did all that before and WAY better. Bonus Halo Reach moment. But anyways, you love the game and that's great, it just didn't work for me as much as I thought it would. I expected more but eh this year has blessed us with too many good shit so far so, it's easy to overlook this one.

oti

Banned

I don't know. I think you're too harsh. Like you I'm not interested in the level cap grind. That's not my thing at all. But even without that I enjoyed my time with the campaign, despite the story being boring. The levels were incredibly beautiful and seeing what a money power house such as Activision can produce is fascinating. The post game content like the quests and adventures is great, the PvP is OK for a quick round of multiplayer and all in all I must have spent over 30h with Destiny 2. And for the most part I had a lot of fun. I'm totally fine with letting it rest until the first DLC comes out, if that's worth picking up. Until then I can focus on other stuff. I'm not paying a monthly Destiny 2 subscription fee after all.

I will say that the strongest thing about Destiny 2 is the art direction followed by the soundtrack. On the whole I had fun, it wasn't like I was punishing myself but it was also boring in many parts and I just expected more coming from Bungie and all the complaints that followed Destiny 1 during its life span.

oti

Banned
I will say that the strongest thing about Destiny 2 is the art direction followed by the soundtrack. On the whole I had fun, it wasn't like I was punishing myself but it was also boring in many parts and I just expected more coming from Bungie and all the complaints that followed Destiny 1 during its life span.

I will say that after all the wondering what Destiny 1 actually was prior to its release it has now turned into this very calculated game. We know what Destiny is, we know what it does and we know whether we like it or not. There's no sense of wonder anymore. But service games have established themselves in the last few years, so that's not surprising.

Too bad though.

I would assume we get an East one next week? It's an adventure game and the writer's in League of Heels, so Vinny + Alex seems likely.

I kinda doubt it's on their radar enough for them to do a video but I would be happy to be wrong cause it's such a long, weird story of how that game came to be that very few people are even aware of. It's kind of amazing that anything got released. Looking at the videos the game does seem super unpolished though, and apparently it's like two hours long.

After spending some time with D2, post content wise. Here are other annoying things I found out about the game.

- Mods and fusing weapons are not explained and you think you understand them when you look at them but you'll find yourself confused once you dabble with these systems. You do understand them after doing so but that just sucks.

- The game doesn't tell you about luminous engrams which are engrams that improve with your character's level so, not going to Zavala and taking his reward post game will be the smart thing to do because the numbers on the engram rise up with your light level so, it's better that you do so when you hit the soft cap. Other regular engrams from what I know don't improve, light wise so it's better using them as soon as you get them instead of saving them up.

- The game doesn't tell you the importance of clans in how much you benefit from them so it is important that you throw yourself into a clan from the get go instead of later. Matchmaking or should I say guided games when it comes to Nightfall and the like sucks because they are not flexible enough. So, let me get this straight, I can't do matchmaking because I am in a clan? and why is that? I don't want to quit the clan because I still want the benefits YET I also want to use guided games because no one in the clan is playing at the moment or they're all strangers to me, y'know? For the love of all that is holy, just put in regular matchmaking for fucks sake.

- NPC's are ultimately useless because you'll be amassing 9999999999999 glimmer many times over the course of the game and you'll have nothing to spend it on except for small useless shit(with the exception of mods).

Anyways, I'm done with Destiny 2. Bring on fuckin' Cuphead.

All of these are figured out in week 1, you've got relatively easy access to at least 3 powerful engrams a week so by week 2 and week 3 it's a non-issue.

The clan rewards were available to see before the game launched, and it was described that clans earning Xp would unlock "stuff". Glimmer technically has an end game point, albeit a crappy one. Buy random mods from the gunsmith to try and get +5 legendarys or 3 of the same kind so you can trade them in for a legendary when youre 280.

IMHO not everything in a game should be spelled out, and the community figuring stuff out and posting it on reddit is part of the fun.

Edit - just saw you mentioned mods. That gives glimmer far more use than in D1 when it was literally pointless.

I agree it's a shame about adventures, I think they're fun little diversions but you out level them too quickly.

I understand the complaints about the infusing not being clear initially, but once you get it, you get it and there's no confusion afterwards. It's simple too. You have your weak gear eat the strong gear.

Breaking past 265 was no problem for me. I played through the story at my pace. I did public events, adventures, and PVP along the way. I picked up loot chests and mats for tokens on my way through missions. I would get sidetracked constantly stumbling onto Lost Sectors, which were cool to discover and fight my way through. I did some of milestones and the exotic quests without knowing about the limits to the engram drops. I got up to 272 without worrying about any of that stuff at all. I got all the way up to 280+ just doing what I wanted to do with friends and whatever milestones were available like the strikes and flashpoints, which were all really fun. It was an absolutely frictionless experience getting raid ready, especially with how generous the game is with exotic drops. You can even get exotic engrams from doing adventures!

I think trying to get into the rush of optimizing your gear setup if you're not even thinking about grouping up with friends to do the Nightfalls and Raids is what makes hitting that 265 limit painful for some people. The average player who isn't devouring every piece of content a week or two from the game's release probably won't care about going past 265 as fast as possible anyway.

And yes, I really enjoyed the set pieces in the campaign!

Destiny's core structure, once you finish the campaign, is that it's the game you boot up once or twice every week when the reset hits, play some strikes or PVP with friends for a bit, then go play something else for the rest of the week.

Compared to my experience with vanilla Destiny, which had nothing to offer in the story and was tedious and grindy as hell in the post-game, Destiny 2 has been super smooth, rewarding, and just a blast to play.

Destiny's core structure, once you finish the campaign, is that it's the game you boot up once or twice every week when the reset hits, play some strikes or PVP with friends for a bit, then go play something else for the rest of the week.

Absolutely, 100%. It's just a shame that they did, once again, a terrible job at fleshing out the world and characters. I don't have anything to invest in, not even my own character because I don't care about loot and if I did I wouldn't be able to feel attached to anything because once you find a higher light level gear then it's goodbye to whatever you had on already. Thinking about it, I must have changed gears 100000+ times throughout the entire game but that's only because that's how the game is made. Still dislike the light leveling up thing.

Top Bottom