• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Harpuia

After playing XCOM 2 so much, man the ugliness of XCOM stands out. It looks like that game was made with unity_soldier_asset.obj.

XCOM 2 has actual Aesthetics:

xcom%202%20loading%20screen%202_0.jpg

latest

Meet-the-Andromedon-XCOM2-newest-enemy-unit.-Follow-our-XCOM-channels-on-FB-and-Twitter-for-more-inf.jpg

BTA

Dan claims he would've hated that shit as a kid but I'm pretty sure 12 year old Dan is the exact demographic that game was targeting.

I've read Dan's book about his life (which I actually recommend; it's pretty entertaining) and though I do not completely disagree, I also don't think that's very accurate to what he was into as a kid. Especially given his recent story about being a narc as a kid.

Ooooh, rad. Definitely looking forward to listening to this sometime soon (and the 1099s I've been slacking on listening to in general); thanks for sharing it!

BTA

Does anyone remember how during previous hiring phases, some assholes would write that they didn't think a woman would gel with the group and fit the vibe at Giant Bomb? Real Nostradamuses, those guys.

This isn't really the same thing but I will say that pre-GG sorta leading to more lines being drawn publicly, I was worried that GB sorta not really publicly stating anything to deal with some of its worse fans would make it much harder for a non-white dude staff member to join. Thankfully that clearly changed and even if there are shitty people around they're individually more vocal about dealing with them.

After playing XCOM 2 so much, man the ugliness of XCOM stands out. It looks like that game was made with unity_soldier_asset.obj.

XCOM 2 has actual Aesthetics:

I feel the exact opposite. Yeah, XCOM 2 has an aesthetic, but it's a terribly ugly saturday morning cartoon aesthetic. I liked the austere look of EU/EW much better. WotC especially has just terrible aesthetics for the Chosen, and some of the other DLC stuff like the viper armor. It just looks like a bad GI Joe knockoff now.

Tagyhag

Just so y'all know I just turned a giant Poison Lizard into a chicken and electrocuted 3 guys in a magic smoke wall I created by raining down meteors on a puddle of water.
Divinity 2 is such a damn good game.

I know this is a long shot but you think if someone didn't enjoy Original Sin 1 they might enjoy 2?

LOVED the combat but I didn't care for any of the characters or the story and I just couldn't care about getting past the first city.

Harpuia

I feel the exact opposite. Yeah, XCOM 2 has an aesthetic, but it's a terribly ugly saturday morning cartoon aesthetic. I liked the austere look of EU/EW much better. WotC especially has just terrible aesthetics for the Chosen, and some of the other DLC stuff like the viper armor. It just looks like a bad GI Joe knockoff now.

I'm honestly OK with the design of the WoTC stuff. It looks great. I do feel like they made the Chosen look a little too human, and one of my bigger gripes with XCOM 2 is, despite looking good, they could've made more of the advent soldiers more unique by making them new alien designs rather than just boring soldiers.

I also feel like XCOM has ALWAYS strived for the bad GI Joe knockoff aesthetic.

Look at these knuckleheads.

cRYJO.png

I really dislike how big everything looks in XCOM, the guns are so big and toy like and the characters all have that UE3 Gears of War look to them that's just so generic, XCOM 2 looks so much better, it's got a real identity to it compared to the first game.

patapuf

Having played quite a bit of Divnity 2 now, my delusional dream is that the person doing the quicklook (that they will do) falls in love with it, plays through it and convinces the others to give it a try. Afterwards everyone agrees that it's a damn fine RPG.

I know this is a long shot but you think if someone didn't enjoy Original Sin 1 they might enjoy 2?

LOVED the combat but I didn't care for any of the characters or the story and I just couldn't care about getting past the first city.

Characters, especially companions, are much better and everything is fully voiced, which helps. You also have a lot more options to roleplay, even wacky stuff. Like as an undead or as the husband of a giant fireslug. There's much more options than in divnity 1 in that regard.

The overall narrative is still pretty standart though.

Harpuia

I really dislike how big everything looks in XCOM, the guns are so big and toy like and the characters all have that UE3 Gears of War look to them that's just so generic, XCOM 2 looks so much better, it's got a real identity to it compared to the first game.

Judging by the troubled history that nu-XCOM had, I think it's the best they could've made it.

The first 3D Firaxis games generally look ugly. Civ V-VI and XCOM 2 probably speak to the higher budgets that they were able to provide.

Which reminds, me there's a video from the art director of XCOM that I've been meaning to finish.

For those interested (He goes a little into the troubled past of XCOM): https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/304388/Video_An_XCOM_art_directors_guide_to_the_art_of_preproduction.php

Yeah the guns and armour alone make XCOM 2 look way better.

I'm honestly OK with the design of the WoTC stuff. It looks great. I do feel like they made the Chosen look a little too human, and one of my bigger gripes with XCOM 2 is, despite looking good, they could've made more of the advent soldiers more unique by making them new alien designs rather than just boring soldiers.

I also feel like XCOM has ALWAYS strived for the bad GI Joe knockoff aesthetic.

Look at these knuckleheads.

lol fair point. I also agree with dude who said that EU/EW is pretty ugly, too. They're both not attractive games imo, I just don't like most of the new alien designs and how outlandish XCOM 2 got with its DLC stuff.

Been listening to older bombcasts and my god Brad is so fucking funny. His interjections are like magical because of his wordplay... I honestly think since he's become a host he isn't able to fool around as much because he is responsible for the flow of conversation. Though I don't know who would be host in place of him

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Hard to tell.
The combat is still the thing about the game. It's even better and more varied in 2.

There definitely is more story (you can pick from multiple characters with backstories and personal quests, and the ones you didn't pick can be your companions. You obviously can also create a new character tho.) but I don't think if you didn't get past the first city in 1 I 'm not sure if you'll enjoy 2.
The characters so far seem to at least have interesting motivations
a Lizard who used to rule an empire, an elf who was magically enslaved, a dancer with a demon in her head, an Undead who woke up just to discover his whole world is gone and who can't eve reveal his face etc.
I also really love the Undead character simply because it's fucking cool to play an Undead.
but I'm not far enough into the story to see if it goes somewhere.

There is some really, really cool stuff but most of it is mechanical and not really story related so far, so I'm not sure if it's enough if you didn't like 1.

It makes a lot of super smart changes tho.
For example you can decide for each companion which class they will be, which get's rid off the "Well, I don't like this character but I need a tank/healer" problem a lot of cRPGs have. Especially in Original Sin 1 that was big problem cause there only were two companions (they patched some in later on)

55GB for MVCI is so CAPCOM.
Hard to tell.
The combat is still the thing about the game. It's even better and more varied in 2.

There definitely is more story (you can pick from multiple characters with backstories and personal quests, and the ones you didn't pick can be your companions. You obviously can also create a new character tho.) but I don't think if you didn't get past the first city in 1 I 'm not sure if you'll enjoy 2.
The characters so far seem to at least have interesting motivations
a Lizard who used to rule an empire, an elf who was magically enslaved, a dancer with a demon in her head, an Undead who woke up just to discover his whole world is gone and who can't eve reveal his face etc.
I also really love the Undead character simply because it's fucking cool to play an Undead.
but I'm not far enough into the story to see if it goes somewhere.

There is some really, really cool stuff but most of it is mechanical and not really story related so far, so I'm not sure if it's enough if you didn't like 1.

It makes a lot of super smart changes tho.
For example you can decide for each companion which class they will be, which get's rid off the "Well, I don't like this character but I need a tank/healer" problem a lot of cRPGs have. Especially in Original Sin 1 that was big problem cause there only were two companions (they patched some in later on)
Every game should have playable skeletons. That's just science.

But, I don't think it's the combat alone that makes DOS (and DOS2) so special... it's the openness. It's not, "overcome this obstacle," but rather,"how will you overcome this obstacle?" When the trailer says it brings pen-and-paper style freedom, it isn't joking: if you can think it, you can probably do it. Like, there's a gate in the way? Sure, you can open it... you can steal a key, you can even take an alternate route. But sprout wings and fly over it? Why not!

And do note that the story goes some interesting places. I'm only in mid Act 1 but, let's just say things get interesting pretty quick. The writing is also super sharp and on point, a definite upgrade from DOS1 (never played much of DOSEE to compare, unfortunately).

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
But, I don't think it's the combat alone that makes DOS (and DOS2) so special... it's the openness. It's not, "overcome this obstacle," but rather,"how will you overcome this obstacle?" When the trailer says it brings pen-and-paper style freedom, it isn't joking: if you can think it, you can probably do it.

Like, there's a gate in the way? Sure, you can open it... you can steal a key, you can even take an alternate route. But sprout wings and fly over it? Why not!

Yeah, that's a great point.
It feels much more organic than pretty much every other cRPG out there because you can use your spells not only to attack but use them to interact with the world as well.

I even really like the structure of the dialogue choices. I'm not much of a role-player but it's a great touch for those people.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
new LIS seems even worse than old LIS. The writing is MUCH more one dimensional.

did people just get caught in the hype or something

Harpuia

new LIS seems even worse than old LIS. The writing is MUCH more one dimensional.

It's a real shame, because the first was really good. I feel like they took the wrong approach with expanding the series by making a prequel. I wonder if they were afraid of launching a new cast/story, which I thought was how they were going to grow the series. From what I've seen, the new LiS relies too much on people loving the characters of LiS, and only that. Perhaps at the expense of a new story, I'd say.

oti

Banned
I just can't stand him. Hate his humour, hate the way he talks, hate how he looks, hate his general attitude.

I'd rather have Sara and the guy with no personality from Comic Vine back in my Giant Bomb content than him.

First, you're wrong.
Second, Sara is fantastic and 100% WHAT GIANT BOMB NEEDS ESPECIALLY GBWEST OH MY GOD IT WOULD BE PERFECT DELETE YOUR ACCOUNT
Third, you're still wrong.

Edit

My Monday content idea is so much better than murder island.

LegoArmo

I played it and loved it, it starts off a bit jarring with the barn scene, with the new voice actor, and some cringe worthy "rebellious teen" dialogue, but by the end of the episode it has as much heart as the first game.

Tagyhag

Hard to tell.

Damn thanks, at least the companion changed sound super smart.

I bet I could have really enjoyed 1 with coop but no way I could get my roommate interested in such a deep RPG lol.

There's always steam refund but I always felt like 2 hours isn't enough to get a clear picture with these games.

Wunder

Damn thanks, at least the companion changed sound super smart.

I bet I could have really enjoyed 1 with coop but no way I could get my roommate interested in such a deep RPG lol.

There's always steam refund but I always felt like 2 hours isn't enough to get a clear picture with these games.

I'm attempting to jump into 1 again after seeing 2 received well. I also read that the first town is the worst bit so I started on the easiest difficulty and am trying to trudge through it. I like the combat systems too but the out of combat movement and environment effects are so fidgety and clunky. I bet I would like it a lot more co-op too since managing 2 main player's inventories along with your whole roster is a bit intimidating.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me

The beginning is.
I see no difference with it and a CW show like Riverdale.

Or maybe it's because of the emotional involvement of the original game. I loved LiS because it hit me so hard due to the story and characters and my own life.

I'm attempting to jump into 1 again after seeing 2 received well. I also read that the first town is the worst bit so I started on the easiest difficulty and am trying to trudge through it. I like the combat systems too but the out of combat movement and environment effects are so fidgety and clunky. I bet I would like it a lot more co-op too since managing 2 main player's inventories along with your whole roster is a bit intimidating.

Huh? What impressions did you read? The first town in DOS is by far the best part of the game to the point where one of the main criticisms with the game is how nothing past that lived up to it.

daveo42

Banned
Abby put in some work on Exquisite Corps. Nice to see them with a solid team after Dan nearly cratered everything during the early game.

Dan getting changed into an Abomination was particularly satisfying. That shit with Brad and his vision cone tho. That was some garbage.

BTA

I've also become interested in playing the original Original Sin as a result of 2; I was always vaguely interested (Pet Pal seems amazing) but seeing 2 seemingly reach a wider audience made it reach more. That being said I don't think I have time for a long RPG right now, especially because I'd like to play it coop with someone and I don't think my roommate would be into it, which complicates doing that with someone. Sorta wish I went for it last year when I was still at college and it would have been relatively easy to grab someone a couple nights a week for that.

also I really like Riverdale and enjoyed both Max and Chloe a lot in the original LiS (Warren can fuck off though)

Wunder

Huh? What impressions did you read? The first town in DOS is by far the best part of the game to the point where one of the main criticisms with the game is how nothing past that lived up to it.

Think it was a thread in r/Games about impressions for the second game and someone was talking about his issues with the first game. That's a legitimate bummer if the town is meant to be the best part

Top Bottom