• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

It is quite shameless how blatantly they’re leaning into the PUBG popularity.
To be fair, sounds like most gaming websites too

I'm struggling to keep my interest in GB, to the point where I said I was gonna let my Premium slip for the first time in a while (then I realized I have it until next year, so GB wins this one).

Right now I pretty much only listen to the Beastcast but even that's starting to lose me. Can't really watch anything from West. I don't enjoy any of the regular features (Xcorps is probably the exception and even then, not always), I don't like the new kids, stuff feels either too gimmicky or too "meh whatever" (which is a really broad complaint, I give you that). I think the attitude in general feels different but that's to be expected whenever there's a kind of "passing of the torch".

Still, for every one of me there's probably 3 people for whom there has never been a better time for Giant Bomb, so I'd say they're at a good place right now - I just think that maybe GB isn't for me anymore.

I did watch the NBA QL and it was great listening to Vinny losing it, so it's not all bad. Maybe it's just a phase for me.
You're not alone in this. Steal my Sunshine is the only series I seek out. I re-subbed as I hope they'll figure it out.
Also agree with the posts saying Jeff is a bit wasted at the moment as he has no-one to truly riff off.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I just hacked a cat

oh and hte soundtrack is good too. and not generic blade runnery future wave only. they actually make use of subdued vocals

kiyomi

I'm struggling to keep my interest in GB, to the point where I said I was gonna let my Premium slip for the first time in a while (then I realized I have it until next year, so GB wins this one).

Right now I pretty much only listen to the Beastcast but even that's starting to lose me. Can't really watch anything from West. I don't enjoy any of the regular features (Xcorps is probably the exception and even then, not always), I don't like the new kids, stuff feels either too gimmicky or too "meh whatever" (which is a really broad complaint, I give you that). I think the attitude in general feels different but that's to be expected whenever there's a kind of "passing of the torch".

Still, for every one of me there's probably 3 people for whom there has never been a better time for Giant Bomb, so I'd say they're at a good place right now - I just think that maybe GB isn't for me anymore.

I did watch the NBA QL and it was great listening to Vinny losing it, so it's not all bad. Maybe it's just a phase for me.

Pretty much. Made a post on this a few days ago, but then I realised my sub came up like the next day and I'm a monthly loser so I've got another month of this to figure out whether or not I want to continue.

---

Watching Abby play PT is fun but man that game is too scary for me to even watch. I hope next week they pair Abby with someone else other than Vinny for some variety.

I remember literally ripping off my headphones and throwing them off instinctively, like, purely reactionary, when Dave Lang was streaming PT couple years back for Extra Life or whatever it was. That shit got me shook. That game's buildup to that first real jumpscare is so sick. Kinda goes downhill after that though.

hamchan

yeah but it's a creative problem. "Be funny" or "Be more enthusiastic" isn't a solution, you just don't really like that brand of humor or want someone to change their personality. I don't think most criticism here comes from a good place, which is why I don't really bother to respond to it anymore. Some of it does, sure, but what's the point of posting for the fifth time that Kingdom Heartache has low viewer numbers or that Beast in the East is boring and Yakuza is a bad game?

There isn't that many places I can go for decent GB discussion and this is slowly becoming a place I frequent less and less sadly

I disagree. I think most of the criticism here is fairly earnest from people who actually care about this website and who have been following it for a very long time. Maybe the criticism has become repetitive but that’s because the problems still exist, so why shouldn’t people keep posting it?

About “being funny”, I’m with what Oti said above about being completely fine with West being the serious side. To be honest, I think Jeff is the only one at West right now who is naturally comedic so I’d rather they don’t focus on that. Demo Derby, Game Tapes, Ranking of Fighters, all series that are more on the informative side about the history of video games rather than being pure funny. They should totally lean into that more because it’s the most interesting things they’ve done.

I think the problem is much more with consistency like Piston said up above. The series I’ve listed above could have months and months between instalments. That’s not good. I really like how consistently GBEast put out episodes of anything they do and when they expect to not be able to put something out on certain weeks like PAX, they totally let us know and give good warning. It appears to be like a super well run machine, I’m very impressed with GBEast in general.

Aselith

Apparently Jeff was considering a feature where he'd spend a similar amount of time on every US retail NES game ever, but decided against it because

I have what I think is a pretty good idea that would do some good things to shake up the status quo a little bit and also keep things from getting stale AND also make use of encyclopedic videogame knowledge . Unfortunately, I have applied many times on their jobs page at gamebomb.ru and they have not contacted me :(

i'd literally pay $50 a year just to watch jeff pick a random game out of his collection and talk about it for 10-15 min every other day. he has this historical, encyclopedia knowledge and i wish they had a show that tapped into that more. i'd watch that guy ramble for hours

sidenote: with 4 video producers by the end of the year i hope they go all out for goty vids. it's gotta be their most popular content, right? RIGHT?? it's all we talk about in here

They had a feature like that. It was called Old Games Show and it was awesome. Yet it was dropped like a bad habit after a few episodes.... Like everything else they do.

I'd do a $100 a year for them to just make a consistent schedule of a daily stream for an hour or two and play through old games series. ScrewAttack did this and as much as I dislike their brand of humor, at least they do it consistently. Mario Mondays, Zelda Wednesday, and for two hours, they try and get a little further into a game, and once done, move onto the next one. It's amazing and entertaining. That's all I want from Giant Bomb, not a UPF that they couldn't care less about being there, and bringing some unity game that was put on steam that afternoon.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
0080_u3u7r.gif

i think i will watch this again. Lang > GB

Is this guide for PT that vinny has bullshit? lol
Nobody really knows what that final trigger is.

I mean, Jeff and Brad are Editor in Chief and Senior Editor, respectively, so it wouldn't be a reach to say that they're regularly called to meetings, interviews, etc., which affect their ability to create content on a set schedule. I don't begrudge their position.

Just like XCorps, the intro of Six Crazy Frights is just perfect. Amazing stuff.
Didn't really feel the rest of the episode, but that might be due to PT. The first time seeing it is pretty cool, but then it's boring.

Hot take: Ben is held back by the apathy of the West. He'd shine with the Beast.

I don't even remember the last time I watched UPF. It's boring.

With Jeff on the team, they are primed for old games content. Jeff is a walking encyclopedia of the video games industry. They have to use that to their advantage.

What I love about East is that most of their features consist of them playing a game to completion. Playdates are the exception. West needs to copy that. Just get Jeff and co to play coop games of NES, SNES and Genesis games.

Here's an idea: a playthrough of Aerobiz Supersonic. That game supports 4-player multiplayer. Get on that shit.

Another: Jeff vs Brad vs Jason at SNES Sim City. Each player builds a city and the one who gets to a Metropolis first wins.

Here's an idea: a playthrough of Aerobiz Supersonic. That game supports 4-player multiplayer. Get on that shit.

Another: Jeff vs Brad vs Jason at SNES Sim City. Each player builds a city and the one who gets to a Metropolis first wins.

Those are fantastically fun ideas. Man, I really wish they'd do something. If they have a call in show, can someone ask why West doesn't do more ideas like this?

kiyomi

I don't even remember the last time I watched UPF. It's boring.

With Jeff on the team, they are primed for old games content. Jeff is a walking encyclopedia of the video games industry. They have to use that to their advantage.

What I love about East is that most of their features consist of them playing a game to completion. Playdates are the exception. West needs to copy that. Just get Jeff and co to play coop games of NES, SNES and Genesis games.

I love the Sim City idea!

Strax

sidenote: with 4 video producers by the end of the year i hope they go all out for goty vids. it's gotta be their most popular content, right? RIGHT?? it's all we talk about in here

Outside of The Cop Show and Jeff's role in Hunked for Life I think their GOTY vids have been bad, really bad.

edit: I'm of course only talking about the scripted stuff. Last year was great.

Hasney

Last years GOTY videos were the best. I just kind of ignored the scripted content ones.

The popular content is the discussion podcasts.

Last years GOTY videos were awesome, some of my favorite content they have done before. I hope they do something similar this year, or at least a mix of that and scripted.

Nobody really knows what that final trigger is.

It's well documented actually.

The 10 steps is consistent.
Going to the 'haunting' is also consistent(IE Lisa will start moaning/haunting in 3 different ways, depending on how it sounds you go to either the bathroom, radio, or clock(?)).

Afterwards, you start repeating a 'J' word. Jareth works. So does saying 'J'. Afterwards the controller will shake and you stand still. It's pretty awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVUEoB-_DeA

Watch this set of videos where this guy analyzes it. It's a good watch!

Lari

Six Crazy Frights is already up, goddammit...
I'll only be able to watch it tonight... alone... with headphones on.

Maybe i'll not be watching Six Crazy Frights for a bit.

Top Bottom